Author Topic: Styles  (Read 9335 times)

Offline Gabe Arnold

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Proud Founder of S.U.T.S.
    • View Profile
    • Gabe Arnold Fitness
Re: Styles
« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2010, 09:05:46 PM »
At the Hawaii National Jam I was told I sometimes run like a monkey because I keep my arms farther out to the sides than normal and I tend to lean forward a little bit, taking short, fast steps. (The only visual comparison I could give is think of the way Ezio runs in Assassin's Creed 2. I'm sort of like that, only with side-stepping and a lower to the ground profile)

I've always felt that, after watching enough movement from enough practitioners, you can pick out the distinct nuances that separate each man and woman.

Danny Ilabaca and Sonny from the Arte Crew move in a similar way to my eyes, with light, circular motions, plus they tend to to spin on their heels as they exit moves. Teghead has a very upright running style because he focuses on speed, so his head rarely dips or bobs around because his eyes are always on target. Naim is extremely recognizable because of his small, constant movements and precise, fast climbups - he rarely hits anything big but he's the closest to flowing like water over obstacles that I've seen from almost anyone.

Offline Romans82

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2010, 09:09:09 PM »
From what I've seen in parkour some people like to just jump huge roof gaps and off buildings and other people like to just run through short obstacles and over them as fast as they can. Those are two different "styles" in my opinion.

ichisato

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2010, 09:17:55 PM »
The different kung fu styles come from actually observing how the animals fight (except for the dragon, lol). If you want to the same with parkour, observe how animals chase or escape and in what terrain.

Maybe different traceurs do prefer or are more comfortable with whatever.
Personally, I like "hands first" because I'm a careful person and it's more controllable that way.

i was thinking about kung fu style type things with parkour a while ago (like GORILLA (hint hint) or dragon (calm, then explosive) etc. etc. and monkey :D)

Offline Andy Keller

• Oh baby baby.
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Lancaster, PA
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2010, 09:33:55 PM »
From what I've seen in parkour some people like to just jump huge roof gaps and off buildings and other people like to just run through short obstacles and over them as fast as they can. Those are two different "styles" in my opinion.

Well, the first "style" here isn't even parkour. It's called jumping huge roof gaps and off buildings and it is not a part of parkour.
"Do it, do it well, do it well and fast."

Offline Sam Chin

• Patas
  • Me Gangsta Walkin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2010, 10:16:58 PM »
Well, the first "style" here isn't even parkour. It's called jumping huge roof gaps and off buildings and it is not a part of parkour.
LOL, AMEN BROTHA!
started Parkour at DEC 13, 2009

ichisato

« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2010, 10:34:05 PM »
LOL, AMEN BROTHA!

AMEN BROTHA TO MAH AMEN BROTHA

Offline DevintheNinja

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2010, 04:38:23 AM »
i think the whole kung fu styles are confusing people. Look at this way do bob burnquist skate the same on vert?? They are doing the samething. Same goes for parkour/freerunning, you can see the difference in styles look at ryan doyle and king david 2 completely different styles. A person style is like their fingerprint you can tell the difference
LVPK-Las Vegas Parkour
Urban Aces LV
I'm a security guard that WILL CHASE YOU!!!!!
Devintheninja's twitter page

Offline Anthony Phonis Serafano

• Patas
  • Primates
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2010, 05:21:17 AM »
That animal idea is a very interesting one though.

What if, for an entire day of training, you focused on moving like a certain animal? There are only a few significant options, such as cats and monkeys, but I think it's still a cool concept.

Thoughts?

Have trained like that a few times ^^
BEAR TRAINING ANYONE???
Sloth training...? Terrible idea...
Fun though.
-Phonis-

Offline NICK DAGGER

• Nick Dagger P.I.
  • Mangabey
  • I AM NICK DAGGER
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2010, 11:22:59 AM »
Jumping between roofs is the definition of style. I just want that big air and the smooth roll. The imprint of your back on the grass and dirt. True Style.

Offline NikAs

• Patas
  • Parkour
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 02, 2010, 06:32:49 PM »
I've definitely seen people with different styles,  everyone has their own methods of movement.  I don't just mean the techniques you use either, once the movements become natural reactions the individual style of movement becomes apparent.  Watch any experienced traceur move through his enviroment, he moves as uniquely as his own character.

this is what i think he means, and this is definitely true.
Aero parkour
Chicago

Offline Ashley McCauley

• Is My Favorite
  • Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Strength sumblime, alive in my very skin
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2010, 09:08:58 AM »
I've definitely seen people with different styles,  everyone has their own methods of movement.  I don't just mean the techniques you use either, once the movements become natural reactions the individual style of movement becomes apparent.  Watch any experienced traceur move through his enviroment, he moves as uniquely as his own character.

I was going to say something along those lines. :)
“Run your fingers through my soul. For once, just once, feel exactly what I feel, believe what I believe, perceive as I perceive, look, experience, examine, and for once; just once, understand."

Offline Joshua Pagan

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2010, 07:14:16 PM »
i do think there are dfferent styles to how people go through obstacles... i also think people's style's most often are dictated by; their taste(what moves they like what appeals to them), the environment they train in. think about it, different obstacles require different moves to go over them, creating style, and lastly how their body is built(what comes naturally to them, what feels right to their body) also creating style... food for thought
If your afraid to fall, you fall because your afraid
- Daniel Illabaca

tentonbrick

« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2010, 07:40:57 PM »
i do think there are dfferent styles to how people go through obstacles... i also think people's style's most often are dictated by; their taste(what moves they like what appeals to them), the environment they train in. think about it, different obstacles require different moves to go over them, creating style, and lastly how their body is built(what comes naturally to them, what feels right to their body) also creating style... food for thought

My spine is fused from t1-t12.  In laymans terms, My spine doesn't bend. End of story. It's as solid as an arm, and re-enforced by steel. I -rarely- ever roll, only when I deem I am absolutely comfortable, but my slap-out is nasty. In my mind, I make a crater when I land. I've also noticed the longer my spines been solid, the more flexible my shoulders have gotten, it's...cool. Hehe, if ya'll ever meet me you'll see. I also train almost entirely in the wilderness. Where there are no trails. So I may not be as comfortable with wall to wall, but I know all about tree to tree. (to cliff to tree to waterfall to tree :P), I also notice that I seem to be completely comfortable on wet wooden surfaces, from being so used to fallen soaked trees in the forest. So in the land where almost everyone trains entirely in an urban environment, I'd say my style is different than most. But I do what I can with what I got. :D

Heh, note my height also: 6'5. Lots of people get scared when I get up to a good clip and make a pass near them when they aren't expecting me. They comment on the burst of air felt as I scream by.  ;)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2010, 07:48:00 PM by Glenn Brown »

Offline Adam Kuebler

• Guenons
  • Daytona Beach, Fl
    • View Profile
    • My Parkour Blog
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2010, 08:01:20 PM »
Everyone has an individual style, some people are just more noticeable than others. This is because everyone has different body types and so they do things in slightly different ways, or do different things which their body type gives them an advantage.
I'd love to help!
My Parkour Blog

Offline Dan Frank

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Formless, shapeless, like water.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2010, 09:02:23 PM »
I've predicted before that distinct styles will emerge as time goes on and the Motion Arts (as Gabe and I like to call them) get more popular. Think divisions rather like in different styles of martial arts. The differences likely won't be as profound as in martial arts, but I can definitely see the emergence of different schools saying they teach 'different kinds of motion arts. We already have just that sort of division with the pk/fr dichotomy.
Dedication is the basis of success in all things. The achievement of one's goals will ensue naturally if one is dedicated.

Offline Corndogg

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • SF Parkour
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2010, 05:56:24 PM »
I like to wear all black when I train  8)
SF Parkour // SFPK - | Website | Forum | YouTube |
Serving the Greater San Francisco Bay Area

Offline jp2ykz

• Mangabey
  • Jamison
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2010, 07:48:51 PM »
Yeah, there is definitely a style that each accomplished traceur/freerunner has. Once a base level of skill is established in any sport, individuals will begin to develop their own perfered ways of movement.

By observing and trying to replicate those idiosyncratic movements one can greatly enhance their own movements. It is best to "try on" a good variety different styles and feel out what styles work best for you in different circumstances.

When you do a dash for instance. Do you spread your legs, toes pointed or in normal position, one leg bent a bit? These are all style and can keep the movement interesting and more adaptable to different situations.

One thing to keep in mind is that you should tend toward modeling traceurs or freerunners who have similar physical traits as you. For instance don't model David Belle's long floaty style if you have short legs and arms and don't try to model Livewire if you have long arms and don't have a substantial upper body development.

I know some of this is covered above but I guess in conclusion; I think that observing and modeling different styles is highly useful tool for progression and to over look it will substantially lessen and retard ones rate of progression and level which they can achieve.

By adhering to an imaginary rule, that one has to discover their own way to do parkour is in my opinion simply a lack of the mental flexibility side of the PK/FR equation.

I challenge anyone who thinks that this is not so, to a competition judged by other traceurs. This way action talks and bullshit walks.

And to those of you who also think that competition is bad. That's awfully convenient...

Maybe at least if you are going to argue this please provide a minimum of a c+ argument based on college level writing. This means not stating opinions as facts and forming clear cohesive arguments backed up with facts and specifically relevant real world evidence. (I don't care about spelling grammar and sentence/paragraph structure, just that you can make a solid argument and aren't wasting everyone's time)

Sorry for the disclaimer but some on the sight clearly have problems with this. I will be adhering to a stance of non response to these types of posts in the future and I encourage others to do so as well.

PS. here is a funny commercial about competition.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e16QgD5-aLc
Konging low stuff is stupid. Just jump over it. Or just do a cool flip over it.

Offline DevintheNinja

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 26, 2010, 01:40:04 AM »
One thing to keep in mind is that you should tend toward modeling traceurs or freerunners who have similar physical traits as you. For instance don't model David Belle's long floaty style if you have short legs and arms and don't try to model Livewire if you have long arms and don't have a substantial upper body development.

sooo true i tell people this all the time but people are gonna like who they want. the first step to being original is doing what is more comfortable and natural to you
LVPK-Las Vegas Parkour
Urban Aces LV
I'm a security guard that WILL CHASE YOU!!!!!
Devintheninja's twitter page

Offline Nathaniel Kauffman

• Patas
  • Chaotic
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2010, 08:28:27 AM »
I like to wear all black when I train  8)

I don't wear anything when I train  ;D(except for a pair of camo shorts, nudity is still not legal...sighs)
*Yawns*

Offline jp2ykz

• Mangabey
  • Jamison
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 26, 2010, 11:43:48 AM »
I always where a cool Japaneses sushi chef style bandanna kind of looks like the karate kid kid one but different patterns.

Konging low stuff is stupid. Just jump over it. Or just do a cool flip over it.