Author Topic: NE DC Jam.  (Read 2243 times)

Offline SimianAlligator

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
NE DC Jam.
« on: January 25, 2010, 01:32:08 PM »
I looked at the DCPK site today, and saw that most everything people are organizing isn't in DC. I don't have the means to get out to Virginia or Maryland regularly and as a result I don't get to participate in anything. I've started trying to train by myself and am fortunate to live in a neighborhood very well suited to parkour, being full of ledges, fences, walls and such. Being new to this whole thing, it'd be nice to have some more experienced people around to lend some sage advice, and other people just getting into this to share in the learning experience. Anyone interested?
Like the topic says, I live in Northeast DC a few blocks away from the Rhode Island Ave Metro stop (on the red line). There are quite a few good spots nearby and a jogging and bike path that runs through to the New York Ave station. Should be sunny the next two days with clouds and (maybe) snow towards the end of the week, so sooner rather than later. The day and time are flexible as I know most people have school/work on weekdays. Shout if you're interested, and we'll work something out.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 02:23:40 PM by SimianAlligator »

Offline Elet ET

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Smite me, Oh Mighty Smiter!!!
    • View Profile
Re: NE DC Jam.
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2010, 11:54:52 AM »
There should be something this weekend in DC if you're interested.
Plans aren't final but it is happening.
ProParkour--ANTI-ADVERB!!!!!

If you don't like their rules, Refuse to play their game.
Anarchy is not CHAOS, but order without CONTROL.
Frederick, MD PK

Offline Zachary Cohn

• APK Alliance
  • Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • I do cool stuff.
    • View Profile
    • ZacCohn.com
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2010, 12:15:55 PM »
WRONG. Plans are final now! :D

Sunday, 1pm. Foggy Bottom Metro stop, in/near Georgetown.
Warm up at University Yard/Kogan Plaza, then move to G street where Jesse and I will host a "Make Moves, Not Excuses" training session. This should last about an hour, and then we'll break into opening jamming.

People expressed interest in going to Rosslyn too, so we'll head over there. Jesse and I are planning to QM the bridge. If anyone wants to join us, you're more than welcome to.

Be there and make moves. Don't make excuses. Email me (zac@americanparkour.com) for my phone number if you need it.

Offline Aaron Neale

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 07:16:33 AM »
hey I live by the takoma metro stop. There is tons to do at SS, and at just about everystop on the way into D.C.

Offline SimianAlligator

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 10:48:46 AM »
Yeah, I know about Silver Spring. I don't really care where, just as long as it's not just me. I've been told DC has one of the oldest parkour communities in America, but I've yet to see it.

Offline Phytolith

• Mangabey
  • Phytolith
    • View Profile
    • APK Alliance Blog
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2010, 06:31:37 AM »
Hey! I wish I'd been on earlier - Pilou and I also live a couple of blocks from the RI Ave Metro station. We'd love to find a place to jam in our neighborhood. This weekend is looking difficult (at best) for doing parkour, but the next weekend of clear weather, we're definitely up for running around with you.

Offline SimianAlligator

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2010, 03:36:26 PM »
Well it certainly doesn't seem it'll be able to happen this week due to the snow or next week because I'm going out of town. A lesson in patience, I suppose.

Offline Pilou

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2010, 10:21:13 AM »
Hey Mr. Gator,

as Amanda said, we're pretty much neighbors :)
If you took notice, the weather has exceptionally unfriendly for the past month or so, and nothing has really been going on outside of a gym.. At usual times, there's a jam organized by someone around here (usually in DC proper on along the metro lines) about every Sunday. If there isn't one, you can schedule one yourself and people will magically show up. We sometimes go to faraway places (Great Falls, mostly) but then we try our best to coordinate cars to take everyone there.

Coming up, we have so far: some H├ębert-style training (not Parkour, but related) this Sunday morning, and a jam at Great Falls next week-end.

It would be great to go and do a bit of scouting in the RI ave neighborhood too, see what you found!

Offline Blansher

• Guenons
  • Spiritual Creamyness
    • View Profile
    • ParkourVirginia.com
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2010, 10:47:40 AM »
Whoa, whoa, whoa ok where and when is this great falls jam? Cus I've been dying to get out there again.
"Ever see someone yelling insane things about the apocalypse on street corners in the city?

This is the online version."  -Andy Keller-

Offline Pilou

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2010, 10:49:49 AM »
i put it on a new thread and also on DCmPK. Johnny's the man to contact for organization matters (I can't make it  :'( )

Offline johnny04

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2010, 09:04:09 PM »
Hey guys,
I have created an event on facebook for a trip to Great Falls next Sunday 3/14 12:30pm - 4:30pm at http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=341242916029

If you are on facebook, please confirm your attendance.  We already have 9 people confirmed, with three offered rides from various places in DC. Some will bring friends so it's going to be a big event.

If you need a ride, please post, and I'm sure someone nearby will reply.

We meet near the entrance on the VA side 9200 Old Dominion Dr. McLean, VA 22102. Email me if you have any questions.

Johnny