Author Topic: Wall Run : What workouts are best?  (Read 2986 times)

Offline Romans82

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Wall Run : What workouts are best?
« on: January 20, 2010, 08:03:38 PM »
What are some of the best workouts for getting strong enough to wall run? I'm assuming it's a lot of pullups? Am I right? Also how do you get your fingers stronger? I always get up to the top of the wall and then have to jump off because my shoulders or fingers are not strong enough for me to pull myself up.

Anyone mind sharing some of the workouts that helped them achieve a good wall run?

One last thing : What are some workouts that will get me better at climbing on top of buildings?

Offline Sai Chikine

• Patas
  • Traceur for himself
    • View Profile
Re: Wall Run : What workouts are best?
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 08:49:21 PM »
Do muscle ups or look at demon's drills' wall up drill.

AND DON'T CLIMB ROOFS
MYCARMY 2011 - OVERLORD OF CALAMITY

"I'm about to give you some f#cking shit ass shit shit, so shit and listen, shit." - Kyle

'What if children in the future were encouraged to keep on playing in playgrounds as they got older, instead of having to learn to "grow up?"' - .Nico

Offline Grayson

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 08:51:45 PM »
What are some of the best workouts for getting strong enough to wall run?
Its probably your technique that's messing you up, check this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNNEhjxg-w0
Also how do you get your fingers stronger? I always get up to the top of the wall and then have to jump off because my shoulders or fingers are not strong enough for me to pull myself up.
Pullups and dips. When you progress to them, muscle ups also are a great exercise. Also work negative on your climb ups.

One last thing : What are some workouts that will get me better at climbing on top of buildings?
Don't ever EVER get on top of buildings
I eat a lot of food.

Offline Adam McC

• Delicious
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Level 1 Sexability Certified
    • View Profile
    • Lehigh Valley Parkour
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 09:07:45 PM »
As they said here, getting to the top of buildings is not the goal here. Generally, that's illegal, and trespassing, not to mention dangerous. :)

However, to answer your question on conditioning and technique, I actually have a video that perfectly answers you. Just give me a day to get it on youtube. Check back tomorrow or the next day and you'll see a video posted in this topic that has step by step instruction on how to prepare for and perform the climb up.

•Lehigh Valley Parkour Community Founder
•Level 1 A.D.A.P.T. Certified
•Urban Current Member

Offline GoldenSlumbers

• Patas
  • The Real Geoff Pieper
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 09:34:20 PM »
Yea If you're planning on getting on top of any sort of heights make sure you have your roll down pat.  It's like climbing a mountain... Getting up is optional, Getting down is necessary.
“Using no way as way, Having no limitation as limitation.” - Bruce Lee
"The more I see the less I know for sure." - John Lennon

Offline Adam McC

• Delicious
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Lehigh Valley Parkour
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2010, 03:25:34 AM »
What are some of the best workouts for getting strong enough to wall run? I'm assuming it's a lot of pullups? Am I right? Also how do you get your fingers stronger? I always get up to the top of the wall and then have to jump off because my shoulders or fingers are not strong enough for me to pull myself up.

Anyone mind sharing some of the workouts that helped them achieve a good wall run?

Here you are, my friend.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bsJRzoj7ke4

•Urban Current Member

Offline Romans82

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2010, 04:40:28 PM »
I finally actually climbed up a good sized wall today. It was nothing compared to some of you parkour pros but it was a challenge for me. I learned something too! When you are climbing up the wall after you have done the muscle up, don't rely on just the front part of your foot to get you up there. Make sure the your whole foot is planted on the surface and then go up it. I messed my shin up pretty bad but at least I learned something from the mistake. Also, something I've found that is a good workout is to get on top of a wall and do muscle up/pushup type things on the wall. It's much harder than a pushup on the floor.
That video you posted about the wall-climb is amazing. The guy in that video actually teaches some very important and detailed steps. I never had even thought about using that last step where you kick your leg up. I'm going to start doing those workouts a lot.
Why should I not try to climb onto roofs?
« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 04:45:54 PM by Romans82 »

Offline GoldenSlumbers

• Patas
  • The Real Geoff Pieper
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2010, 04:59:03 PM »
That's Great!  Its always good to hear about people progressing.  Yeah I think the workout you're talking about is called a wall dip, they have it listed in the exercises section if you wanna check out a video.  You can try to climb roofs if you wish but know the dangers involved,  you don't wanna be the cat stuck in a tree.  Getting down is always more important than getting up!
“Using no way as way, Having no limitation as limitation.” - Bruce Lee
"The more I see the less I know for sure." - John Lennon

Offline Hazim Salem

• Hirundo Rustica
  • On my own, but not alone.
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2010, 06:40:07 PM »
It's great to know you're learning a lot! ;D

Generally, we don't want you to climb roofs when you're not ready because we don't want Parkour associated with roofs, and reckless teenagers. We had some tragic incidents related to training in high areas, which is unnecessary. I like climbing too, and I've done quite a bit before I was warned by people here. Do it safely and be responsible :)

Offline Sync

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2010, 07:07:48 PM »
Weighted Pullups.

Drill Wall Runs, 'till you find the technique.
Do it because you want to

Offline Adam McC

• Delicious
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Lehigh Valley Parkour
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2010, 08:06:38 PM »
That video you posted about the wall-climb is amazing. The guy in that video actually teaches some very important and detailed steps.

Glad it helped! I made that a long time ago, but didn't get it on youtube until recently. Feel free to share it around. It didn't get the publicity most of the other UCC videos do.

Roofs are typically illegal to be on, not to mention the danger of being up so high. That's all. Pretty simple.

•Urban Current Member

Offline Matthew Wang

• Total Awesome
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • July 1st, 2008 - My first day of training
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2010, 09:26:04 PM »
Great tutorial!
http://www.washingtonparkour.com/
Need something Washington Parkour related?
matt@washingtonparkour.com
washington@americanparkour.com
10 PUSH UPS OR 5 PULL UPS PER POST

Offline Mitch Rhoden

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2010, 09:37:28 PM »
lol i spent like 2 hours today out in the snow, trying to do one wall up. which was my goal before the end of the month. I do one, barely, and come inside to find your video, and i went back and tried one with the knowledge you armed me with and got it with ease on the third try. Im both angry and happy at the same time i don't really know how to describe it. But thanks, your video helps tons.

Offline Clint Walker

• Guenons
  • Bad ass nice guy
    • View Profile
    • Cheguar Blog
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2010, 04:38:33 AM »
Yup, I have that same problem with upper body strength. There is a type of exorcising where you use your muscles as resistance, cant think of the name, but that's what I'm trying out.

Offline Romans82

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2010, 05:08:46 AM »
I cannot get up as fast as the guy in the video does he just pops himself to the top. I have to put my forearm on there and then pull myself up. Yea, I don't think I'm going to climb on any roofs yet. I'm not ready for such a big fall.

How do the people in most of the parkour videos jump of such great heights without hurting there legs?

Offline Wyatt Kessler

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2010, 05:47:10 AM »
They have their roll down really well and know how to spread out their impact and not retain pain from the jump
Kenosha Parkour
Parkour - Its not just something you do, it's the way you do it, and how you work to show the impact on your life from it

Offline Jeremy Osborn

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Wisconsin Parkour
« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2010, 06:33:22 AM »
They have their roll down really well and know how to spread out their impact and not retain pain from the jump

Not to mention, they probably DID mess themselves up quite a bit. I personally wont believe they came out fine unless i see the roll and they keep going. If it switches to another clip i just think they broke their legs. If they DID make it, they conditioned their legs quite a bit.

There really is no reason to even go on a roof, theres nothing you can do on a roof that you cant do on the ground.
Wisconsin Parkour

Your friendly neighborhood Techno-head.

"The Chinese use two brush strokes for the word 'crisis', one stands for danger, the other for opportunity. In a crisis, be aware of the danger, but recognize the opportunity."

Offline Wyatt Kessler

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2010, 06:36:14 AM »
There really is no reason to even go on a roof, theres nothing you can do on a roof that you cant do on the ground.

Agreed.  The only thing a roof can help with is if you do a climb up to the roof and just get off it, but other than that, there really is no reason for roofs (if that's how you say roof plural lol)
Kenosha Parkour
Parkour - Its not just something you do, it's the way you do it, and how you work to show the impact on your life from it

Offline Adam McC

• Delicious
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Lehigh Valley Parkour
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2010, 08:41:47 AM »

More importantly than that, they spend years and years conditioning and building the strength in their muscles to support their joints for the impacts. The technique is barely half of it.

•Urban Current Member

Offline Clint Walker

• Guenons
  • Bad ass nice guy
    • View Profile
    • Cheguar Blog
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2010, 05:08:08 PM »
indeed. there's also the fact that roofs can collapse ether from too much weight or just fatigued from people walking on it. You can't tell the condition of a roof from just looking at it, and if it does cave in you're looking at thousands, even millions of dollars in property damage on top of personal injury.