Author Topic: Night Training  (Read 8072 times)

Offline Barker

• Patas
    • View Profile
Re: Night Training
« Reply #20 on: September 07, 2006, 01:16:50 PM »
no problem, try this, next time your out at night just wallk around on your hands and feet trying to be like Gollum from the lord of the rings, its fun
White Rabbit Parkour

Offline colin jensen

• Patas
  • Free or Dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2006, 01:33:55 PM »
alright thanks for the advice man.
Be not afraid of growing slowly, be afraid only of standing still.

He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

The universe may not always play fair, but atleast it has one hell of a sense of humor.

Offline Zeus

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Dont listen to Sat....Think with your balls
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2006, 04:43:57 PM »
Lol, when were not training after school out here in Cumberland, MD we always train at night because of our schedules.

It can be almost scary sometimes if your going over a wall and you cant see the other side till your almost over it.

Offline like_a_child

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2006, 07:12:55 PM »
when its hot (like in the summer) night training is the only way to train

where its hot (like in the desert) night training is the least hot of my outdoors options
I give you this:
I will never view my fellow traceurs as a springboard.

Offline Streetviper

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 19, 2006, 07:03:02 AM »
parents are aproblem for some though. (geuss who ;))
With out passion , effort is meaningless.

Offline bubbagump08

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2006, 01:12:21 PM »
I prefer training during the day for most stuff. The visibility is much better and where I train there is usually few people. Although, I don't think its a bad idea to try some night training every once in awile.

crazyted

« Reply #26 on: September 23, 2006, 12:27:04 PM »
yeah training at night is awesome, its cooler, and with less people there is less interference, I train at night sometimes its awesome espesially as the fall progresses and there is less light..

Offline Streetviper

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2006, 05:43:33 PM »
i just train on sunday afternoons. most people are at home or at church and businesses usually don't have with my school schedule and such.

Offline Tyler Cochran

• Patas
  • Boards don't hit back
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2006, 04:44:15 PM »
I train almost exlusively at night, and I think it offers a lot of benefits when compared with training during the day.  I think the greatest benefit is that without good lighting you have to rely on technique and feel more than your eyes which makes parkour much more intimidating and gives you a greater mental challenge to overcome your fears and trust your abilities.  I really enjoy doing rail to rail precision training at night because I believe it to be twice as effective as daylight precision training.  Cops can be a problem especially if you are training on a college campus at 3 in the morning  :P but I have found that once you train skills at night it's amazing how easy they become during the day.
"Empty your mind,
Be formless, shapeless, like water.
Now you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup.
You put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle.
You put water into a teapot, it becomes the teapot.
Now water can flow, or it can crash,
Be water my friend"
-Bruce Lee

Offline Aperion89

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2007, 02:41:02 PM »
whether intentional or not my friends and I usually end up getting most of our training done at dark but we normally have enough light out to still see where were going this has happened so much we have joked about calling our group the "insomniacs"
but as some people have allready said its nice out at nighttime not many people around, quiet, and easy to concentrate.
not only does it make me feel like a ninja it makes me want to dress like one and I allready have the costume.
"Please stand by"

Offline Kurokaze

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2007, 09:52:23 PM »
whether intentional or not my friends and I usually end up getting most of our training done at dark but we normally have enough light out to still see where were going this has happened so much we have joked about calling our group the "insomniacs"
but as some people have allready said its nice out at nighttime not many people around, quiet, and easy to concentrate.
not only does it make me feel like a ninja it makes me want to dress like one and I allready have the costume.

man you must have dug hard to revive this topic, gratz on the work.

well on that topic the prime training season is coming up(meaning its warm enough to actually WANT to go outside) here and im about to start training again. and most likely at night.

me and 2 other traceurs(my best friends), have pretty much become known as NOC.PK; Nocturnal Parkour.
In like a lion out like a lamb. . . world class.

Offline Zachary Cohn

• APK Alliance
  • Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • I do cool stuff.
    • View Profile
    • ZacCohn.com
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2007, 10:45:42 PM »
Where are you training these days?

I plan on liiiivving at AACC...

Offline FreeStyleFox

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2007, 03:46:39 AM »
Hey guys I can't believe I have never posted here before.  When I first started out I trained only at night for about two months.  Every night for at least an hour.  Then go to bed sleep as long as I could then go to work.  A lot of experience and knowledge was gained. Lot of the muscle movements have been for gotten since then though lack of intrigue.  I no longer have every vault down but the experiences gained remain. 
"If you cannot be a poet, be the poem."  David Carradine
May the flow be with you.  ~~FreeStyleFox

"A title and a few perks dont mean much. It takes nothing but a little thought and time to get your point across in a peaceful manner."

Offline kage

• Patas
  • "free your mind"
    • View Profile
    • Kage's Myspace
« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2007, 11:07:17 AM »
Practicing pk at night is amazing. Its like you're the only person in the city. You are able to hear absolutely everything, so you can really pay attention to all of your movements, such as your landings. The downsides to training at night are: 1. your depth perception is way different than it is during the day. It can make the easiest movements, such as vaults, scary to do. 2. If somebody see's you, they automatically think you're doing something illegal, so you might find yourself in the backseat of a police cruiser. 3. You aren't as aware of the dangers that could be hiding in shadows, such as glass or nails that you could accidentally land on. In the end tho, you should practice at night and in the day... because if you only practice during the day and you find yourself in an emergency situation at night when you would need to use your pk skills, you're probably going to be screwed. For that reason i try and mix my practice times up, i practice in the sun, dark, rain, and snow just so i'm ready for whatever might be coming my way. Just remember that you ALWAYS need to be safe, never commit to something you aren't 100% sure about. Things can look a lot more intimidating at night, so have confidence, and don't push it too hard
Boy : Do not try and bend the spoon...that's impossible...Instead,only try to realize the truth...
Neo : What truth?
Boy : There is no spoon.
Neo : There is no spoon?
Boy : Then you will see, it is not the spoon that bends, it is only yourself.

Offline Streetviper

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 18, 2007, 01:54:49 PM »
well it sounds like i need to more of this. about th epolice thing if you watch some of david belles videos were he is training at night notice...he is wearing all white. i am not sure but it might be because if someone thinks you are a burglar or something then you just come back and ask why is burglar wearing clothes that make him stand out like a marine at woodstock. ;D(that's an original) but really if all you are doing is spot training then it should not look suspicious. just don't run if you hear sirens take responsibility for your actions, running will only make it worse and it gives the cops a bad image of pk. :-[

Offline Aperion89

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 18, 2007, 02:17:03 PM »
well if you ever see a video of a bunch of noobs in ohio wearing ninja outfits doing parkour at night calling themselves the insomniacs you know who it was.
"Please stand by"

Offline kage

• Patas
  • "free your mind"
    • View Profile
    • Kage's Myspace
« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2007, 10:55:56 AM »
Just last night i went training during nightime... It was more of a distance run (about 7-10 miles) with random vaults and precisions thrown in, but it was still awesome. I found new places i never even knew existed, like a corn field in the middle of town (how exciting :o). I also got chased by a truck for a few blocks, the idiot musta thought he could keep up. Then i climbed up an abandoned water tower and just chilled for about a half hour before returning home. I'm definately going to be doing more training at night now that it's warm outside.
Boy : Do not try and bend the spoon...that's impossible...Instead,only try to realize the truth...

Offline like_a_child

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 29, 2007, 05:56:06 PM »
well it sounds like i need to more of this. about th epolice thing if you watch some of david belles videos were he is training at night notice...he is wearing all white. i am not sure but it might be because if someone thinks you are a burglar or something then you just come back and ask why is burglar wearing clothes that make him stand out like a marine at woodstock. ;D(that's an original)

Another concern is that vehicles, notwithstanding kage's odd remark on a truck that just couldn't keep up (who was it racing against, The Flash?), have the potential to move much faster than we (on foot) do. If we happen to be crossing the street when it IS clear, a vehicle may very well come racing out of the darkness before we're halfway across, and if we're not wearing clothing with a high visibility factor, the vehicle may not stop in time to avoid hitting us (nor should we count on being able to dive out of the way in time ourselves, considering again our limited speed compared to most vehicles).

Has anyone heard about the UK traffic engineering study that suggests average travel times would be shorter and safer if there were a national speed limit of 22mph?

A local concern is that Arizona's primary flora is cactus. Even in the metro areas, you can find them right beside the sidewalk and in the mini-gardens just outside buildings (companies put them there to look pretty, I guess, and save water). NOT the kind of obstacle you want to accidentally put your foot into! Slamming your legs into a thigh-high patch at high speeds isn't pretty, either. Landing in one probably wouldn't feel all too nice :P

Wearing white clothes won't help with this one, although wearing (extremely) tough clothes might; being able to see where you're going is critical here, which is one of the reasons I've advocated the use of a flashlight in the past. Another of these reasons is that, if you keep on doing something that dangerous long enough, eventually the odds will catch up with you, and do you really want to have a broken leg or the like from that? Taking risks all the time just so that you'll be better prepared when you're forced to take a risk doesn't really strike me as the wisest option.

I've come up with an alternative, too - train in groups, take turns with one or two people going ahead with flashlights to remove actually dangerous objects from the route. Broken beer bottles, things like that. Give them a bit of a lead, maybe even a few harmless objects (foam and the like) to leave behind, that way you can train yourself to rapidly recognize the slight shifts in shadow that prelude an irregularity in the ground ahead of you (that you were just about to thrust your foot into) and react to avoid it in time without hurting yourself.
I give you this:
I will never view my fellow traceurs as a springboard.

Offline Kurokaze

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2007, 07:15:13 PM »
Where are you training these days?

I plan on liiiivving at AACC...

well im in the midst of making a parkour club there, and so far its going well, but i still have to tackle the insurance policies, right now im talking with the Student Assoc. to try and get their support and ideas on how to get around liability concerns.

So hopefully if all goes well parkour will be OK with AACC finally.
In like a lion out like a lamb. . . world class.

Offline kage

• Patas
  • "free your mind"
    • View Profile
    • Kage's Myspace
« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2007, 11:16:07 AM »
notwithstanding kage's odd remark on a truck that just couldn't keep up (who was it racing against, The Flash?)

Well i just took a survey, and i am most like the flash

Anyways, no i just hit the alleys and backyards and lost the truck... i don't even know why he was chasing me, o well, it was fun