Author Topic: thinking of starting a local beginners program  (Read 1674 times)

Offline andrew le

• Patas
  • co-founder of east stroudsburg PK
    • View Profile
thinking of starting a local beginners program
« on: January 19, 2010, 10:05:40 PM »
im thinking of starting a local beginners program where i am. generally not looking for any compensation from participants but rather just to educate people on what we do and inspire the young for something they practice themselves.

i do run into a few problems though,

first being that of the fact of the local gymnastics facility in my area has been reluctant to return my phone calls to ask if i could possibly hold a class there.

second being, even though the class would be free, the liability issue is of great concern to me and how could i get around that? through having all the participants signing a waiver? and how would i make the waiver "legal"??

i cant think of any other problems at the moment, but im completely open to suggestions

turtlekarma

Re: thinking of starting a local beginners program
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 01:20:13 AM »
If your gym has something called an open gym time where people come and pay to play around on stuff then I have a suggestion. 

Just show up and build a reputation for being the parkour guy.  I started going to this local gym back in august and payed $5 an hour to use their open gym...and I just trained like I normally would at any other gym...but since word got out I guess that a parkour guy was going to this gym, I started building up a reputation for being the parkour guy there, started getting to know the staff and the regulars who went there.  After about two months of consistently showing up there kids randomly started coming and asking me to show them some basic vaults and rolls...from there I built I guess a kind of consistent group that would show up and practice together and help out anyone who wanted to learn some basic stuffs.  I was never USGA certified or anything, but clearly I knew more about pk then any of the staff at the gym so they allowed me to show people some real basic stuff. 

A 2 months after these group meet ups lead by me or some other local experienced traceurs (for free), the staff started talks with us (HIPK) about starting an official parkour class.  Now HIPK is scheduled to begin teaching classes at this gym beginning in feb.  Anyone who teaches these classes has to go through safe falling classes and become an employee of the gym so as to be cover in case someone gets injured.  I chose to just be a assistant (kind of like an associate of the gym) so I'm not employed by the gym but I can use their facilities for free and take any gymnastics class they teach for free as long as I'm consistently helping out with classes. 

You don't make a waiver, every gym I've been to has their own waiver that covers activities in the gym.  A note though, if you're going to do what I did make sure that you portray the disciplined side of pk when trying to build up a reputation for being the pk guy at that gym...meaning standard warm ups and stretching before training, show a concern for safety for yourself and others by showing control in your training instead of trying to throw your biggest and best stuff. 

Good luck!!!

Offline samfisher777

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 02:04:22 AM »
Yeah, you could all just coincidently meet up as a group of friends and in an informal and casual manner hire the gym individually and all participate in the same activities without intention. We do it all the time.  ;D
Sam Fisher

Offline Jeremy Osborn

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Wisconsin Parkour
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 06:17:50 AM »
If your gym has something called an open gym time where people come and pay to play around on stuff then I have a suggestion. 

Just show up and build a reputation for being the parkour guy.

I do this.

What helps a lot, was i actually started talking to the guy who normally runs open gym, told him the parkour stereotype of "rooftop jumping" and how it portrayed parkour incorrectly, and how long ive been training, ect.

Just last week, (we have to "test" our flips on the trampoline before doing them off of the trampoline, and the guy didnt see me do them (he was a few feet away watching the other kids) and i told him which ones i tested for, and he was like, "i didnt see em, but i trust you, so here you go" then he wrote "BT" and "FT" on my hand (how they tell if you tested or not).

Id say im pretty well known as the "Parkour guy" at my gym  ;D

But there are some kids who obviously saw the office and taunt me by yelling "HARDCORE PARKOUR!" and then straight jumping over. Oh well...
Wisconsin Parkour

Your friendly neighborhood Techno-head.

"The Chinese use two brush strokes for the word 'crisis', one stands for danger, the other for opportunity. In a crisis, be aware of the danger, but recognize the opportunity."

Offline Wyatt Kessler

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 06:20:06 AM »
Ughhhh I get it everyday, It's not worth our timee at all
Kenosha Parkour
Parkour - Its not just something you do, it's the way you do it, and how you work to show the impact on your life from it

Offline andrew le

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2010, 04:10:59 PM »
After contacting the gym I unfortunently found that they do not have an open gym time. I keep trying to contact them to no avail. I'm not sure what to do :(

Offline Jeremy Osborn

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Wisconsin Parkour
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2010, 04:13:49 PM »
Look on their website?
Wisconsin Parkour

Your friendly neighborhood Techno-head.

"The Chinese use two brush strokes for the word 'crisis', one stands for danger, the other for opportunity. In a crisis, be aware of the danger, but recognize the opportunity."

Offline Corndogg

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • SF Parkour
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2010, 04:54:23 PM »
Start an outdoor class and once you have established the class and have regular attendance, then you can go to the gym with some leverage.
SF Parkour // SFPK - | Website | Forum | YouTube |
Serving the Greater San Francisco Bay Area

turtlekarma

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2010, 11:52:41 PM »
Start an outdoor class and once you have established the class and have regular attendance, then you can go to the gym with some leverage.

agreed

Offline andrew le

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2010, 08:15:52 AM »
thanks for the help guys!

hopefully within the next week or two ill have the class up and running

and as ive said before, im completely open to suggestions and ideas for class goals and the like

Offline jp2ykz

• Mangabey
  • Jamison
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2010, 03:07:53 PM »
first being that of the fact of the local gymnastics facility in my area has been reluctant to return my phone calls to ask if i could possibly hold a class there.

Depending on the insurance that the gym has they will not even consider the idea and you have no chance.

All depends on the Gym insurance and the state laws of where it is located.  :'(

second being, even though the class would be free, the liability issue is of great concern to me and how could i get around that? through having all the participants signing a waiver? and how would i make the waiver "legal"??

legalzoom.com maybe??

You can find pretty good stock ones on the internet also.
Konging low stuff is stupid. Just jump over it. Or just do a cool flip over it.

Offline Sam Zytka

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2010, 03:14:41 PM »
for some reason i remember you saying you live in pittsburgh, is this true at all? cause if so we already have a decently big community and syn from team sanjuu teaches a class every week

Offline andrew le

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 22, 2010, 08:36:56 AM »
for some reason i remember you saying you live in pittsburgh, is this true at all? cause if so we already have a decently big community and syn from team sanjuu teaches a class every week

nah, im on the other side of the state, i was out there visiting though

actually i come out to pittsburgh often to visit, id love to meet up with some of your guys out there next time i come out

Offline Sam Zytka

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 23, 2010, 08:54:01 AM »
yea dude just post in pittsburgh section before you come and we can arrange something