Author Topic: What are you going to do if Parkour turns into a entirely competitive sport?  (Read 19067 times)

Offline jp2ykz

• Mangabey
  • Jamison
    • View Profile
I would assemble a team and win in the biggest tournaments.

Yeah I would too!!!

And my team would win more than yours.  8)
Konging low stuff is stupid. Just jump over it. Or just do a cool flip over it.

Offline Paul Leon Mederos

• Legend
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Simple Knowledge - Leon's Tumblr Blog
Yeah I would too!!!

And my team would win more than yours.  8)

ooo ooo I want in!!
When we move, we move as one.

Act; for the universe will never forget your movement, nor will it ever forgive your stillness.

turtlekarma

try recruit all promising local talent and eat them so I can win competitions

Offline samfisher777

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
...................it wouldn't be in england so would only be something i'd watch and sigh about.
Sam Fisher

Offline Wyatt Kessler

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
I would be sad if this become entirely competitive... it would ruin the name and on top of that, everyone would become greedy, this wouldn't sit well w/ everyone who tries to show the purity and point of parkour not being just something to do but the way you live your life

Parkour turns into an entirely competitive sport = Horrible
Kenosha Parkour
Parkour - Its not just something you do, it's the way you do it, and how you work to show the impact on your life from it

Offline Nicholas Schiebel

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
Simply put, just keep running.

The moment Parkour becomes truly competitive, with TV coverage and pre-assembled courses, it's no longer Le Parkour. A traceur is some one who interacts with their environment to move freely and efficiently within it. The moment you create a park or course, you are no longer interacting with your environment, you're controlling it. And that is not Parkour. Thats a capitalist investment on our abilities, and ultimately perversion of our honor and pride as traceur.

Playing games is fine, building an obstacle course in your backyard is fine. Cutting of an entire section of the world for the sake of competition and the containment of traceurs within a predetermined environment is wrong. It limits us and our freedom, and caps the number of opportunities we have to over come our limits and the barriers placed upon us.

For the sake of the discipline, it may be necessary to except competitive events and even leagues, but only for the safety of those involved and the awareness of those watching. Outside of these reasons, we, personally and spiritually, should avoid competition and the peer-pressure to be aggressively competitive. That means, I'll keep running, from the competition, from the crowds and cameras, from my own urges to prove myself to others. Le Parkour is about improving yourself, not proving yourself, and that's what it will always be.

If competition gets in the way of that, I'll just kong over it.
Integrity First Service Before Self Excellence in All We Do
Into The Blue

Offline Shyam Subramanian

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
If parkour became a competitive sport, I'd move to Lisses.  If Lisses started giving in, then all would be lost. 

Dun dun dun...
CTPK -|Trumbull Parkour|-

Offline Chris [.5gibbon] Stevenson!

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
i would just keep doing exactly what im doing for the same reasons im doing it, then i would go to any competition i could and try my best to win it to pay my bills.  competition would not change anything for experienced traceurs except give them a job they would love.
"Be like water making its way through cracks.  Do not be assertive,  but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it." - Bruce Lee

"There are few things graven in stone, except that you have to squat or you're a pussy." -Mark Rippetoe

Offline Michael Himes

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • Urban Surfers FB
You know what I can't understand. I can't see parkour being competitive in how it's practiced. We could say have a challenge who can get to point B first right? But wait that's racing! Hm... Well we could do a show off moves with judges... Freerunning darn. I think the most ideal aspect of the ninja warrior shows is the fact you are not challenging. You are challenging the clock, there for it's only a competition inside yourself. It's not even parkour but I know quite a number of people who watched this show then got into parkour. I would say parkour can't become a entirely competitive sport, only something that look similar.
"Nothing is impossible, the word itself says 'I'm possible'!" ~ Audrey Hepburn
Urban Surfers FB
Urban Surfers YT

Offline jp2ykz

• Mangabey
  • Jamison
    • View Profile
A traceur is some one who interacts with their environment to move freely and efficiently within it. The moment you create a park or course, you are no longer interacting with your environment, you're controlling it. And that is not Parkour. Thats a capitalist investment on our abilities, and ultimately perversion of our honor and pride as traceur.

Point #1
Isn't an obstacle course an environment still???
This one looks pretty cool to me ;D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uMNmmMurgc8

Point #2
Saying that "that is not parkour." This has been discussed on other threads but the definitions of words are evolved through time based on how people use them. Regardless of what you think or wish, the definition of parkour will change; even though I do think much of the core meaning will be preserved based on the history. 8)  I just think it's silly to try to say and control what is and isn't parkour. The definition just like the movement will be fluidic and continue to evolve. There will always be the purest form and the history will speak for it self. 

Point #3
Having capital interest wouldn't be that bad if it was from a grass roots level and Traceurs and parkour groups could benefit as opposed to big corperations and "The Man." ?

i would just keep doing exactly what im doing for the same reasons im doing it, then i would go to any competition i could and try my best to win it to pay my bills.  competition would not change anything for experienced traceurs except give them a job they would love.

Agreed  8) 8) 8)

Offline Millercb96

• Guenons
    • View Profile
No, It's actually ultimately impossible. Look at soccer. Football. Lacrosse. Running. Swimming. None of these are entirely competitive in the least bit (with how I think we are imagining parkour becoming). The majority of people in the world still do them entirely for fun and enjoyment, not money or popularity.

Didn't you just say "assuming that's possible" in a previous post?
"Our aim is to take our art to the world and make people understand what it is to move."-David Belle

Offline Millercb96

• Guenons
    • View Profile
This is hilarious...

It was said by a few already but it can't be "completely competitive." But even if it got much more competitive (which it probably never will because of the general sentiment in the community that it is bad) Only top level athletes will really ever compeat because lower level athleats dont have the personal modivation to orginize wheras the "pros have sponcership $ behind it.

That being said I personally think that it would be great and make it far more visible and acceptable by the general public if small level competitions were held.

The individual nature of the sport and training would allow any who wish no not participate. If those people had resentment it would be a sign of personal insecurity. This attitude is similar to those who would mock or make fun of a Traceure because they were unable or unwilling to learn for themselves.

Why dose what someone else dose, have any effect on you??? If parkour is about making both your body and mind strong, then people who harbor these type of feelings need take a close and honest look at themselves.

This basic and petty human instinct has been the cause of all oppression and slowing of progress thought human history.

I encourage all Traceurs to realistically look at the sport and where it is going and become comfortable with where they fit in that puzzle.     

Why is it hilarious just a question? Is it bad to be curious and want to know what others think?
"Our aim is to take our art to the world and make people understand what it is to move."-David Belle

Offline Strafe

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Dashing my way into your hearts
    • View Profile
I would ignore it, and try and spread the true meaning of parkour. Im sure the purists would still get together and train as usual, it would sadden my heart though.
"Jump higher, run faster, be better, this is parkour"

Offline Alec Furtado

• kicks butt.
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Balance.
    • View Profile
Didn't you just say "assuming that's possible" in a previous post?
Yes? In that post, I was entertaining the idea as if it were possible. It is still clearly not.

To add some context to the post you quoted, I only said that in the way I did because many seem to have this false idea that it is either one way or the other. It's certainly easier to think this way but it is almost never the case, whether it's about competition in parkour or something else.
Water conforms to the shape of it's surroundings. Do not be water. Shape your own life.

Offline jp2ykz

• Mangabey
  • Jamison
    • View Profile
Why is it hilarious just a question? Is it bad to be curious and want to know what others think?

Sorry for not specifying..

This basically sums it up.

Yes? In that post, I was entertaining the idea as if it were possible. It is still clearly not.

That is part of it. It is clearly not possible.

The second part that is hilarious is that people feel threatened by it. I am not mad at those who are and I didn't mean to insult anybody. It's just to me it seems like a waste of energy worrying, or more specifically getting upset so much about things that are inevitable.

Offline Millercb96

• Guenons
    • View Profile
Sorry for not specifying..

This basically sums it up.

That is part of it. It is clearly not possible.

The second part that is hilarious is that people feel threatened by it. I am not mad at those who are and I didn't mean to insult anybody. It's just to me it seems like a waste of energy worrying, or more specifically getting upset so much about things that are inevitable.
Basically sums it up? I'm not sure your getting your point across I'm lost.

Offline jp2ykz

• Mangabey
  • Jamison
    • View Profile
Weird it looks like your post couldn't copy the the part of my post that quoted from Millercb96 that was explaining his position (which I agree with.)

He said:

I was just referring to the part that said that it clearly is not. He was referring to it, not being possible for parkour to become "completely" competition based.

I was speaking within the context of the thread but I should said it straight up. Sorry for the confusion.

I still think the thread is worth while because it caused a good exploration!!

Offline Eli

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Wow, you guys still exist after all these years!
    • View Profile
I haven't read the other post yet, due to lack of time at the moment, but I'm going to assume others have said something similar to what I'm about to say.

It's impossible for that to even happen seeing as I will never stop just doing it for me. I will pass my learnings on to my kids and friends too, to make sure the old ways are never forgotten.
The Greatest Lesson A Traceur Learns
Quote from: Sai Chikine
Parkour spots are buried in random places.

Looking for me on the web?
Just Search for "SticktheFigure"

Offline samfisher777

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Wait, if it did become an olympic sport, wouldn't it just be urban gymnastics?
Sam Fisher

Offline Bao

• Patas
  • Alan Tran
    • View Profile
    • NCParkour
Who cares? Do what you do.