Author Topic: its winter and i live in a small town so how could i practice  (Read 1309 times)

Offline esz257

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
its winter and i live in a small town so how could i practice
« on: January 16, 2010, 05:30:23 PM »
i live in a small town in missouri i dont get much practice how could i solv this?

Offline Sync

• Guenons
    • View Profile
Re: its winter and i live in a small town so how could i practice
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2010, 08:58:35 PM »
There is probably some type of gymnastics gym somewhat near your house.  I would suggest typing "Gymnastics gyms in (your town) Missouri"
Do it because you want to

Offline Adam McC

• Delicious
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Level 1 Sexability Certified
    • View Profile
    • Lehigh Valley Parkour
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 05:29:33 AM »
Also, there's some fun stuff you can do in winter. Just be sure to bundle up and make sure there isn't much skin exposed.

You can find some ice and work on sliding, you can work on your vaults, just make sure they are slow and controlled, especially at first. You can -always- do conditioning, go for runs, find a park or anything with a few benches or obstacles and just play around! Balance on things. Just explore and have yourself a good time.

•Lehigh Valley Parkour Community Founder
•Level 1 A.D.A.P.T. Certified
•Urban Current Member

Offline Wyatt Kessler

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 06:30:46 AM »
And if you can't reach a gym, then just listen to Adam, keep your body conditioned and ready for the upcoming spring
Kenosha Parkour
Parkour - Its not just something you do, it's the way you do it, and how you work to show the impact on your life from it

Offline max eisenberg

• New Kid!
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 07:35:39 AM »
it depends on what you want out of parkour. if your desire is to learn cool moves than go to a gym near by and train the moves you wish in a warm, controlled environment.

if you want to see the essence of parkour bundle up and start jamming through the snow towards the nearest tree and climb all the way to the top. go from tree to tree, or just move through the unusually harsh conditions trying out different things. play keep out of the snow in a park, try and just work with what you have. its not really about you but, your environment.

my mind is constantly moving, one day my body will be strong enough to keep up.

Offline Logan Lay

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • LEL Enterprises
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2010, 07:52:21 AM »
Go for a run & Avoid the Wet or Snowy Parts. Maybe, purposefully run through the snow so you get used to how you move through snow. Be careful how much you do if you haven't already done very much conditioning. Slippery stuff can be trecherous if you are not prepared for it. Winter is always a great time to work on conditioning.
"I can do All things through Christ who strengthens me." - Phil. 4:13

"I'm Going There. I'm Going There Directly. I'm Going There Directly and Nothing is Going To Stop Me. I'm Going There Right Now." - David Belle

"Train for Life, not for Prestige" - Charles Moreland

tentonbrick

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2010, 08:59:17 AM »
HIKE!   not sure how your state works, but in the commonwealth of Pennsylvania, we have the Gamelands, that people can hike all day, any day, (have to wear orange during mid-large hunting seasons, which is over, now until november). Our Game Commision runs them, look'em up!  It's a great way to experience nature, exactly how she is, wild! We have a 7,300+ acre Gameland that starts 3 miles from my current residence, and I use it to it's full extent! :)

Offline Adam Kuebler

• Guenons
  • Daytona Beach, Fl
    • View Profile
    • My Parkour Blog
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2010, 03:13:19 PM »
All great suggestions! The only additional thing I would add would be to not overlook what is in your house/apartment. You won't be able to do anything big, but can do a lot of small simple flow work. Be really careful to make sure your furniture can handle whatever weight you put on it. You can do a lot of little things to help out with spatial awareness and flow. But be careful if you live with your parents!
I'd love to help!
My Parkour Blog

Offline Clint Walker

• Guenons
  • Bad ass nice guy
    • View Profile
    • Cheguar Blog
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2010, 01:34:50 AM »
I've had the same problem when I started in a small Iowa town. Strap on some waterproof footwear and go to a playground or a park, which can be found in any small town.

You can also build your own training aids out of what ever's lying around. Hay bales, old tires, scrap 2x4s and plywood, you name it. Just be sure to ask before using them, and tap in to your inner McGyver.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 01:36:38 AM by Clint Walker »