Author Topic: Is Parkour Still Parkour Without The Philosophies?  (Read 7646 times)

Offline Alec Furtado

• kicks butt.
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Balance.
    • View Profile
Re: Is Parkour Still Parkour Without The Philosophies?
« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2010, 08:52:29 PM »
Is a "philosophy" something that can be perfectly defined?  A philosophy to me is a guide, and not a black and white definition with all inclusions and exclusions noted.  Do people differentiate between a "philosophy" and "definition"?  Are definitions static, and do philosophies change?

???
No. Maybe. Change. (Although I'm sure that was all rhetorical ;))

I mean you can have static philosophies but that doesn't really make sense if your reasoning behind a philosophy is something well thought out that you can trust. You want something you can rely on which means you should never be unquestionably devoted to it. You need to be able to think critically about everything you do and ask if it is really the right or best way.

A philosophy may be perfect, but our interpretation and practice of it cannot (unless you're God). Everyone has faults. Everyone. Just your best to eliminate as many as you can and help others to do the same.
Water conforms to the shape of it's surroundings. Do not be water. Shape your own life.

Offline Gabe Arnold

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Proud Founder of S.U.T.S.
    • View Profile
    • Gabe Arnold Fitness
« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2010, 10:33:14 PM »
*Warning! Nonsensical mumbo-jumbo ahead!*

Our ultimate act as practitioners is to forget why we do it. We start by taking command of our bodies, bending them to our will. Then we bend our will, trying to make it conform to the contortions of our bodies. Finally we are left with peace, where we no longer need to worry about either. Only movement and love of movement remain.

Offline David Glass

• Hirundo Rustica
  • CptBongue
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 15, 2010, 05:50:34 AM »

Our ultimate act as practitioners is to forget why we do it. We start by taking command of our bodies, bending them to our will. Then we bend our will, trying to make it conform to the contortions of our bodies. Finally we are left with peace, where we no longer need to worry about either. Only movement and love of movement remain.

If we still had kharma, you'd get a +1 for that!
Life can be divided in two phases: Before the first time, and After the first time
Traning Journal: http://www.performancemenu.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5147

Offline max eisenberg

• New Kid!
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2010, 07:02:13 AM »
Parkour is a word. Freerunning is a word.

We are running around, jumping off stuff, and balancing on rails. We are moving around as we desire and seeking to improve our locomotive abilities.

Parkour, Freerunning, L'art du Deplacement, Rage Froobling, they are all just words that are trying to give reason to what we do.

If I didn't know anything about PK/FR, I'd still be climbing around on crap and generally being an overgrown kid. PK/FR has simply given me a better direction and tighter focus.

Parkour without philosophy (of any kind) is running and jumping around. Running and jumping around is Parkour. The two go hand in hand. Whether you realize it or not is the only difference.

i agree...

it is we who assign meaning to things such as words. in short if you want to be more specific and direct then parkour is a word that expresses our art in its totality. includes philosophy and movement, again thats if labeling things is your thing.

to understand the deeper meaning behind things in parkour and in life the idea is to let go of labels and such.

my mind is constantly moving, one day my body will be strong enough to keep up.

Offline cOUCH

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2010, 07:29:54 AM »
Well I never fully understood the Philosophies of Parkour. I just do it, cause its what I do. I like to have fun, and thats all that really mattered to me. I was freerunning and training for 2 years before someone actually told that there was a name for what i was doing, so then we just started doing it together, then our whole crew was out together at the parks playing tag and stuff. Definately a fun way to train though. So i dont really fully agree that the philosophy is a must, but i guess it does help put your mind into it more.

Offline Corndogg

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • SF Parkour
« Reply #45 on: January 15, 2010, 08:40:55 AM »

There is no spoon?
SF Parkour // SFPK - | Website | Forum | YouTube |
Serving the Greater San Francisco Bay Area

Offline Jacquis "Curfew"

• Mangabey
  • CSRD patient
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2010, 08:42:04 AM »
Is a "philosophy" something that can be perfectly defined?  A philosophy to me is a guide, and not a black and white definition with all inclusions and exclusions noted.  Do people differentiate between a "philosophy" and "definition"?  Are definitions static, and do philosophies change?

???

ah...makes sense. The philosophy grows and changes as you do

wlf

« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2010, 08:51:35 AM »
philosophies yeah parkour isnt parkour with out the philosophies or it would be a sport like baseball or football (aka more widly known and copied and advertised off of.)

Offline Gabe Arnold

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Proud Founder of S.U.T.S.
    • View Profile
    • Gabe Arnold Fitness
« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2010, 09:02:12 AM »

There is no spoon?

Precisely.

"All the questions that they ask me about Parkour… They ask, 'Why are you doing this? What is the…' As though it’s hidden in the philosophy, or in the movements that you are working on.

But if you look at a monkey… If you were to stop him at the moment he ’s in the middle of doing a jump, you press pause and then you ask him, 'Why are you doing this? Why are you moving?' I think the monkey would answer, 'And you? Why are you NOT moving?'”

"Why then just because I am person and I can speak, well now you’ll say, 'Oh you know you’re not supposed to be there, you know. What are you doing on that wall?'

'Well, I don’t know.'"
-Both David Belle

Offline Sync

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 17, 2010, 11:51:30 AM »
Yes it is.  It just is not a full use of all of Parkour's potential.  Plenty of people do parkour, just for the movement, or practicality of it.
Do it because you want to

WoodlandGhillie

« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2010, 10:51:44 AM »
I am playing the devils advocate here I think there is vague philosophical background to parkour one that is very postive and that I support but I think it is moving target and people who become fundamentalist about it are pinning themselves to something very ill-defined.

If we back away from logic or the reality of the community parkour is huge part of my personal philosophy the concept of the constant progression of always working to be able to overcome obstacles to be always strive to be a stronger and more capable human that affects my whole life and its why I have dedicated my life to parkour. There are two big moments in my adult life meeting my wife and finding parkour. I am not religious but I often feel parkour fills a near religious role for me.

However I think even when we love something even when it fills our lives we should be engage our critical thinking we should evaluate and update and be open to new understanding.

I feel what you mean. I always think about that, PK as a religion of moving. *I* consider it religious, simply because of the philosophies *I* believe in.

Parkour is mine, and mine alone. Anything linked to it is my own to have.

Offline sparta98

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • This is madness! Madness? THIS IS SPARTA!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 10, 2010, 03:03:28 PM »
It is still parkour... just like your body is still your body after you're dead, there just isn't any heart or soul in it  :(
Some say the world will end in fire,
others in ice,
judging what i have seen of desire,
I side with those who favor fire.
But should I have to perish twice,
The power of ice is also great... and would suffice.