Author Topic: What i should wear  (Read 2724 times)

Nos0323

What i should wear
« on: January 14, 2010, 01:55:58 AM »
« Last Edit: September 02, 2018, 01:31:53 AM by HI-Z »

turtlekarma

Re: What i should wear
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2010, 02:21:30 AM »
just as long as clothes dont get in way, new balance shoes should be fine...no need to go out and throw $100 into your 1st pair of pk shoes.  Wrist bands are helpful I guess, but most people dont use them.  jeans work, but then again if too baggy or too tight that they restrict movement then not good.  Shorts, running sweats, jeans, cargo pants all work fine for me...long sleeve is more preference...we live in HI and it gets hot, short sleeves works better in my opinion. 

check the women specifically board on types of clothes they wear, us guys have less concerns about support and such...they also have a great info about training and other things that are specifically tailored towards a traceuses concerns about pk.  http://www.americanparkour.com/smf/index.php/board,146.0.html

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2010, 10:51:54 AM »
What you wear will also depend on where you're going, and what you plan to do.

All times - freedom of movement > style. Sure, you can do parkour in a bikini top, flower lei, and grass skirt [I have], but it's awkward and inconvenient. You don't want anything so tight that it hinders full movement. You also don't want anything so loose that it's going to fall off, get caught on stuff, or get caught under you. [That goes for hair, too. If it's long, you don't want it getting in your eyes at the wrong time, or getting caught on something]

Bras - From my vast experience ;D ... check this thread

Outdoors - wear stuff that can get dirty and is a little rugged. Cargo pants, sweats, military BDUs and capris seem to work ok. Some jeans work way better than others. I wear board shorts a lot. Maybe a comfortable t-shirt. [Usually short sleeve due to heat]. I haven't really tried tanks or spaghetti straps. If I have to roll on gravel or concrete, I'd like more shoulder protection. If you're going to be swimming, something you can swim in...

Shoes - experiment. Running shoes should be great to start, tho.

Wristbands - the only person I've seen use them only put them on for doing a gap jump to a cat on a concrete wall. If you find you're getting your wrists cut, you could try them.

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2010, 10:02:19 AM »
Jiyoung - You'd already mentioned you dressed tomboy. My bad. You can find cargos at Walmart, KMart, Sears, Penneys, etc.
"Peter Parkour" used to wear tan cargo pants in every photo. They may have even been the same pair of pants.

turtlekarma

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2010, 11:32:48 AM »
salvation army and good will...I'm super cheap ::)

Nos0323

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2010, 11:40:11 AM »
icic thx guys  ^^

turtlekarma

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2010, 11:40:31 PM »
were can i get wristbands?  cause i found out the best way to roll for me is using my elbow...so i think i would need a wristband on my elbow but im pretty thin so im pretty sure it will fit haha

elbow?...it shouldn't touch ground, show me on sunday

Offline Michael Himes

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • Urban Surfers FB
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2010, 02:21:05 AM »
Wouldn't see the need of a wrist band on the elbow... seriously if you need protection on your elbow from a roll something went wrong.

Ha, somehow I guessed it's be Adam's video... I agree the elbow one feel pretty weird but you'll get used to it, but you better show Ryan just in case. Ninety degrees... Well it depends but that just might be how your body naturally moves. I do the elbow roll too, or my foot end slamming against the ground or what ever, and I've taken a complete 180 degree turn out of it. You can buy wristbands practically anywhere though. I know you can get them at hot topic, ones with like pictures or skulls on them or blank, for like three to five dollars. So if you jsut want them for confidence go for it.

Bbbbaaaccckkk on topic - Wristbands? No idea, I haven't had them back from when I 'played' goth for the lulz at school. But I would just use it to wipe sweat off my forehead. Though looking back I did cut my wrists (for some reason emo comes to mind) doing wall-ups because I'd grab the other side...

Then a topic I didn't see anyone say, gloves. This is wide spread bad... though just because parkour is supposed to be natural bla bla bla... But that's a flame war I want to stay away from. I have a pair of fingerless glove that I wear mostly while I'm not training cause I like them. But when training they seem to get in my way, maybe it feels weird because I started without them. If you are seriously concerned about cutting your hands up, get some gloves. Most people say fingerless because you get more grip or something. My hand are callused so I don't worry about that kind of thing.

Personally I like sweats when training... or hell to wear at all because they're comfy, and light weight ones don't get very hot. Also the band at the waist to tighten help me because I find belts constricting and to get pants with a small waist yet long legs with out them being tight as hell is a pain. But as long as something does not constrict movement you're fine. I learned that the hard way, a pair of pants were to tight and didn't allow me to utilize my knees as much and I hit my shins konging a table then flew over to and face-planted the ground the other side. But seriously, I've trained wearing a good pair of pants, my best shirt and a tie.

Shoes, Gregg is right. Experiment. Right now I'm using a pair of running shoes that are already a bit torn up from when I was hit by a car. But the work fine. I started when I still wore my van skater shoes since I came right out of skate boarding. Seriously anything can work, even barefoot. M├ęthode Naturelle. I wouldn't suggest flip-flops though xD. I'd go for a pair of thin soled shoes with some decent grip, so you won't slip off a wall right away but you will feel your landing and get it right first. That's why bare foot is great because feet have some of the best grip and there is nothing between you and the ground, so you know if your landing right.

Seriously, everyone asks the question when they first star "What is the artier?" but to answer, anything. Albeit a few things are not the greatest to wear, anything will work... I remember when I asked this question before some one answered, "Anything, or even nothing... Though that probably would not be the best thing to do in public." Hell I want to do parkour wearing the most ridiculous outfit ever just because.

And where to buy stuff? Well anywhere. I shop at the NEX or AFX but those are military so... But I would say Wall-Mart or K-Mart. I recently bought a couple pair of sweats without the elastic at the ankle from K-Mart for like ten bucks a shot. Witch is cheep considering to find jeans in my size cost me thirty. But just look in sports apparel in stores for anything thing else like wristbands or wherever.

Wow I type way to dang much... And most of this is just saying what other people have... oh well here ya go.
"Nothing is impossible, the word itself says 'I'm possible'!" ~ Audrey Hepburn
Urban Surfers FB
Urban Surfers YT

Nos0323

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2010, 02:52:05 AM »
lolz wow u did type long well anyways thx 4 the tip  ^^

Offline Ozzi

• Sexability Head Coach
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • HIpk
    • View Profile
    • Hawaii Parkour
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2010, 02:28:07 PM »
Wholly text wall batman! :o
"Be the change you want to see in the world"
 Ghandi

Offline Michael Himes

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • Urban Surfers FB
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2010, 05:12:53 PM »
That is why you no give me a keyboard
"Nothing is impossible, the word itself says 'I'm possible'!" ~ Audrey Hepburn
Urban Surfers FB
Urban Surfers YT

Nos0323

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2010, 05:31:48 PM »
lolz i dont mind haha

Nos0323

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2010, 12:41:22 AM »
anyone know any stores (not online)  that sell shoes pretty good for parkour?  cause today when ryan was teaching me to do this jump thingy onto the wall...forget what he called it i think a crane i found out my shoe's grips are almost completly worn down...o and cant be super expensive...maybe about $45 at most?

turtlekarma

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2010, 09:58:29 PM »
umm probably just shop where you normally shop

1. you want them sturdy
2. Grippy
3. Comfortable
4. able to absorb impact

it's preferable for rubber on bottom to be one solid strip rather then having pretty patterns on the bottom, cause those just tear off after a week of training.  Also look for shoes where the rubber wraps around the toes, so you get grip on side of shoes.  I personally lean towards lighter (mesh) shoes that don't absorb alot of impact...just because that makes me focus on my landings...but that's a personal preference.  Cross-trainers work great, as well as some of the lighter hiking shoes.