Author Topic: Back after LONG time  (Read 731 times)

Offline P.R. Stuart

• Guenons
  • An All-American Patriot
    • View Profile
Back after LONG time
« on: January 13, 2010, 09:24:40 AM »
I don't know if you guys missed me, or even remember me, but I was rather active here before the summer.  Too active.  I stopped the internet entirely, but was WAY to careless with my training... and broke my collarbone.  I started ridiculously slowly back into the routine after it healed, doing nothing but running for about 2 months, then strength conditioning, and generally going about it the same way anybody's supposed to start.

I never wanted to be the guy with that crazy story about how he was undisciplined, but here I am.  I will say, however, that I think I've matured somewhat over the past 6 months and am ready to try again, this time slowly. 

So, when training for a roll on concrete, should I practice with padded clothing or nothing extra?
I decided not to put something deep here.  I'm in this for the physical aspect, the mental and spiritual are my own.

Offline Brandan Mendenhall

• Hirundo Rustica
  • [est. 1988]
    • View Profile
    • Arizona Parkour
Re: Back after LONG time
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2010, 09:45:27 AM »
Nothing extra, IMO. You need to be able to feel where you're not rolling properly so you can correct it. Just take it slow, and welcome back!  ;)
Your obstacle is my shortcut.

Offline P.R. Stuart

• Guenons
  • An All-American Patriot
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2010, 10:04:48 AM »
Thank you!
I decided not to put something deep here.  I'm in this for the physical aspect, the mental and spiritual are my own.

Offline Matthew Wang

• Total Awesome
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • July 1st, 2008 - My first day of training
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2010, 09:52:17 PM »
Great to hear you're back on your feet! Perserverance is always great to hear about.

As for your question, why practice on cement if you're going to use a mat? :P
Always practice new rolls and build up to them on surfaces you're comfortable with, and practice the occasional roll on hard cement to gauge progress. Start with a soft surface, say grass or gym mats. Them move up to something harder, like carpets and similar. Finally solid, hard surfaces.

Good luck man! Happy training!
http://www.washingtonparkour.com/
Need something Washington Parkour related?
matt@washingtonparkour.com
washington@americanparkour.com
10 PUSH UPS OR 5 PULL UPS PER POST