Author Topic: Questions on joining HIPK  (Read 2675 times)

Nos0323

Questions on joining HIPK
« on: January 11, 2010, 08:27:29 PM »
I would like to join but how good do i have to be in PK? cause i suk...all im good at is a couple of simple easy vaults and precision jumping (cause i got good balance but i can really jump that far but i can jump high)...like i can precision jump over my bunny's cage that has a plastic bottom and its a big size and its really wide... and i can also jump across my other bunny's cage that is long and wide but shorter in hieght than the other...

so what are the requirements to join?
And are there like mandatory meetings or stuff ever?
and how old do i have to be?
how tall do i have to be?

o and another thing...is it ok if im a girl?...

Offline Adam McC

• Delicious
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Level 1 Sexability Certified
    • View Profile
    • Lehigh Valley Parkour
Re: Questions on joining HIPK
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2010, 10:09:51 PM »
Hey!

I'm gonna answer for HIPK, even though I'm ex-HIPK, haha, its still in my blood.

HIPK is open. Its a community. There are no requirements. No expectations. No rules. If you want to get started, you will be welcomed with open arms. People will help you start off, Ozzi and the rest of the guys and girls will guide you along. The only requirement to join is.. that you join! Ozzi will get back to you and let you know when all the classes and seminars and jams are, and you can hook up with the community and get started!

There's no age limit or anything. If you're interested, you're welcome! There's also no height requirement, this isn't a slide at disney world. ;) And finally, if you're a girl, that's awesome! You will be supported even more. This community is incredibly, sometimes even excessively supportive of female parkour practitioners!

Please, feel welcome. Just by having an interest in parkour, you are already, as a Hawaiian, part of the HIPK family. Like I said, Ozzi will get back to you and he'll let you know the best way to get started!

Welcome to the boards.

-Adam

•Lehigh Valley Parkour Community Founder
•Level 1 A.D.A.P.T. Certified
•Urban Current Member

turtlekarma

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2010, 11:09:36 PM »
I would like to join but how good do i have to be in PK? cause i suk...all im good at is a couple of simple easy vaults and precision jumping (cause i got good balance but i can really jump that far but i can jump high)...like i can precision jump over my bunny's cage that has a plastic bottom and its a big size and its really wide... and i can also jump across my other bunny's cage that is long and wide but shorter in hieght than the other...

so what are the requirements to join?
And are there like mandatory meetings or stuff ever?
and how old do i have to be?
how tall do i have to be?

o and another thing...is it ok if im a girl?...

Ditto what adam said, just show up and you're apart of us.  In addition, we only ask you to stay off roofs, try to stay away from taking big drops, and be respectful of private property and if asked to leave do so in a respectful manner.  I'm highly discouraged from training at several spots already because of peoples negative experiences with younger more reckless traceurs...please be a positive force for pk, or at the very least a neutral one.   

Offline Stacie

• Patas
  • Holy [insert witty word or phrase here], Batman!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2010, 06:11:08 AM »
Welcome!!! And lol! You won't officially need your parents' approval (like a permission slip or anything), but do your best to respect them (after all, they are your parents, and from personal experience, you never learn to fully appreciate them until you grow up and move out) and we can do our best to help them understand that parkour is actually beneficial when done properly, and that's what we learn with this group. I'm fairly new myself and a total klutz (slowly being remedied lol), and I look forward to meeting and training with you. We also have people willing to give rides to classes, including myself, when time and distance permits. ^.^
"Do NOT...eat that. It is a poisonous...magicpie!"

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 10:31:28 AM »
Johnny had similar problems... Try PMing Stacie to find out if she lives close to you. Too bad Gen and some of the other traceuses aren't still active. Then you could train with a group of women until your parents got comfortable.

Your best bet is the national jam. Find out what traceuses are coming. Message them. Let your parents see that you aren't going to be the only female.

Nos0323

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 06:56:18 PM »
i mean my parents dont mind what gender i hang out with but im just saying... and thx for the invites guys i really appreciate it...  and btw if its gonna be around UH manoa or alamoana or makiki park or whatever then i can take the bus  ^^

Offline Ozzi

• Sexability Head Coach
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • HIpk
    • View Profile
    • Hawaii Parkour
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2010, 08:08:09 PM »
Hey hey, thanks so much guys for all your support towards her. I have been MIA and missed this post, I am not sure how.

As many have already said, all you need to know is when we train and you only have to show up. As off now we are planning a jam for next sunday to talk about what is coming. So keep checking the jam thread and stay tune.

You can always come to the hawaii academy on fridays, if you want to take classes let me know and we could also help you about that.
Anything so that you can feed your desire to keep training, we are here, and now that you are here, you are HIpk is your PK home.

Aloha
"Be the change you want to see in the world"
 Ghandi

Nos0323

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2010, 09:23:06 PM »
Thx ^^  but im a very shy person so is it ok if i visit one of ur jams one day and just stay on the side and get to know people that way? cause all i can do are precisions...

Offline Adam McC

• Delicious
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Level 1 Sexability Certified
    • View Profile
    • Lehigh Valley Parkour
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2010, 10:03:16 PM »
Thx ^^  but im a very shy person so is it ok if i visit one of ur jams one day and just stay on the side and get to know people that way? cause all i can do are precisions...

I think that's a great thing to do!

The nice thing about jams is, there's no pressure at all. Its not about being good, nobody compares you with anyone else. Its just about getting together and meeting people and trying things out if you like. Zero expectations, nobody is expecting you to be good or anything, and everyone is there to help you. Who knows, you might even be motivated to try some things out!

•Lehigh Valley Parkour Community Founder
•Level 1 A.D.A.P.T. Certified
•Urban Current Member

Nos0323

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2010, 11:10:52 PM »
well thx  ^^  ill go but it has to be on a monday, wednesday, or friday around 3pm though...and has to be at UH cause i cant make it anywere else and i gotta be home by 6 or sometimes 7pm

Offline Stacie

• Patas
  • Holy [insert witty word or phrase here], Batman!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2010, 12:42:57 AM »
well thx  ^^  ill go but it has to be on a monday, wednesday, or friday around 3pm though...and has to be at UH cause i cant make it anywere else and i gotta be home by 6 or sometimes 7pm

hmm..that'll make it really tough for me to train with you. =/ I'm working until 3-4pm most days. But like was said before, you don't have to be "good" at any part of parkour to join. Just be open and willing to learn. ;) And no worries about the shyness either. You'll find that this group is very laid back and very accepting. You'll do more than just fine.
"Do NOT...eat that. It is a poisonous...magicpie!"

Nos0323

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2010, 06:26:59 PM »
oic but im a bit more open to people online than i am in real life...  and u live near here?

Offline Michael Himes

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • Urban Surfers FB
« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2010, 03:23:22 PM »
Yeah, HIPK is very inviting. I know the only Jam I was ever able to make back like 2008 September Helped a lot, I learned more that day then I did with my prior two weeks of watching tutorials and trying to start out. Adam (At least I think he was there, it was either him or another urban current member) helped a lot too, also warned me that I was being a tad bit to ambitious. I was more than newb back then. And yeah trying new stuff close to always happens. I learned to roll, reverse vault, turn vault and a few other things at my first jam.

What Stacie said is true, it's a real laid back community and very accepting. I wouldn't doubt them help a seven year old do parkour if the kid wanted too... Wait didn't they do that already xD Being a traceur in Hawaii you're already part of HIPK, no matter your race... I'm a haole so that proves it :P

A couple of things one, http://www.americanparkour.com/smf/index.php/topic,18751.0.html, useful for when we all do meet up.
And this article can be helpful if your parents don't approve of the Parkour aside to meeting people you don't know. http://www.americanparkour.com/content/view/3499/378/

Wow I ramble too much. I look forward to seeing you at some jams :)
"Nothing is impossible, the word itself says 'I'm possible'!" ~ Audrey Hepburn
Urban Surfers FB
Urban Surfers YT

Offline Ozzi

• Sexability Head Coach
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • HIpk
    • View Profile
    • Hawaii Parkour
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2010, 04:51:40 PM »
The one thing we expect from you is to have fun :)
"Be the change you want to see in the world"
 Ghandi

Nos0323

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2010, 05:34:02 PM »
sure ok  ^^