Author Topic: TIP: Trust Your Body  (Read 2681 times)

Offline Seth Horner

• Patas
  • If you're afraid to fall, you fall because of fear
    • View Profile
TIP: Trust Your Body
« on: February 06, 2010, 08:24:03 PM »
Trust Your Body

I am a newcomer to Parkour myself, but one thing I quickly learned is to trust your body. When Freerunning/Parkour, and you're about to hit some physcotic vault, etc, of course know what you're going to do. Just do it, and trust your body to make the correct movements, as it will.

I noticed that when I depended completely on my knowledge of the subject to do something, it didn't work out well. But when I know what to do, get to it, and trust my body to do what I want it to do, it's much easier and flowing.

In short, just know what you're going to do, and let yourself do it. Don't rely on your knowledge of what you're doing.

Offline BlazingHawk

• Patas
    • View Profile
Re: TIP: Trust Your Body
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 08:31:44 PM »
+1 rep

I kinda figured this out on my own but this will be good for all the new comers
"RUN FOREST RUN"

Offline Adam McC

• Delicious
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Level 1 Sexability Certified
    • View Profile
    • Lehigh Valley Parkour
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 09:15:36 PM »
Oh God.

Hahaha.

I understand what you guys are saying. But please understand, knowledge is the key to advancement. Without knowledge, you are simply forcing yourself. Rely on yourself, but knowledge is part of yourself. You want to advance it just as you want to advance your strength, flexibility, confidence, and everything else. It all works together. Do not dismiss knowledge. It gives us ability, in the long run.

•Lehigh Valley Parkour Community Founder
•Level 1 A.D.A.P.T. Certified
•Urban Current Member

Offline Cheshire Parkour

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 09:48:06 PM »
Oh God.

Hahaha.

I understand what you guys are saying. But please understand, knowledge is the key to advancement. Without knowledge, you are simply forcing yourself. Rely on yourself, but knowledge is part of yourself. You want to advance it just as you want to advance your strength, flexibility, confidence, and everything else. It all works together. Do not dismiss knowledge. It gives us ability, in the long run.

+1, QFT.
In memory of Andrew. Rest in peace, fellow traceur.

Break, away from everybody. Break, away from everything. If you can't stand the way this place is, take yourself to higher places. - threedaysgrace

Offline Seth Horner

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 10:18:39 PM »
Oh God.

Hahaha.

What I was saying. I said do not rely on your knowledge of the subject completely, and to just trust yourself to do what you body knows to do.

Offline Andy Keller

• Oh baby baby.
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Lancaster, PA
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2010, 10:35:29 PM »
What I was saying. I said do not rely on your knowledge of the subject completely, and to just trust yourself to do what you body knows to do.

But sometimes your body doesn't know what to do. That's where progression and repetition come into play.
"Do it, do it well, do it well and fast."

Offline Corndogg

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • SF Parkour
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2010, 11:16:30 AM »
Trust your gut, trust your instincts, listen to that inner voice and determine if its trustworthy.
SF Parkour // SFPK - | Website | Forum | YouTube |
Serving the Greater San Francisco Bay Area

Offline Mr.WWII

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Do what you can't, Parkour.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2010, 11:31:08 AM »
But sometimes your body doesn't know what to do. That's where progression and repetition come into play.

Yea there are most definitely times where your body doesn't know what to do. Try to hop on a bike and bunnyhop or ollie on a skateboard for the 1st time. No matter how many times you've seen a video of it or been told how to do it, your body won't do it on the 1st try. Many moves go beyond our bodies reasoning and coordination and the only way to obtain them is to train them.

but alas, I still understand what you're saying. Some things are really a lot easier than we think

Offline Seth Horner

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2010, 11:33:16 AM »
If you already know what the trick is, have been taught to do it, and have done it, then your body knows.

Offline Adam McC

• Delicious
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Lehigh Valley Parkour
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2010, 03:17:55 PM »
If you already know what the trick is, have been taught to do it, and have done it, then your body knows.

If I teach you an algebra formula, and you do it once, then in 2 years I ask you to do it again, do you know? Can you just.. DO IT? Maybe, maybe not.

Not a perfect analogy, but realize that our body has to process a lot of information. Its easy for the body to make mistakes, be confused, or forget things like muscle memory, or mix it with other motions. If your body doesn't know what to do, its giving you a message. Something is not right. Sure, you can force it and push through it, and chances are it'll be something silly and you'll be fine, but there's also that slight chance that something is wrong. And I prefer to understand things before I force them. But, your training method is yours, and mine is mine.

•Urban Current Member

Offline xStarFruitx

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2010, 04:15:47 PM »
I love this advice.

After playing soccer for thirteen years, a keeper in fact, I an definitely agree that it's always best to just trust your mind and your body to work as one unit and do what you want it to do. Even if you mind doesn't know, you'r body will do it's best to keep you safe and happy.

Offline DaveS

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2010, 04:46:01 PM »
Yep. It's good to listen to everything, thoughts and feelings. :)

Feelings are often more reliable, but they don't react to change as fast as thoughts.
~ Dave
NorthernParkour and the British Parkour Coaching Association

Offline jp2ykz

• Mangabey
  • Jamison
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2010, 05:22:47 PM »
Yep. It's good to listen to everything, thoughts and feelings. :)

Feelings are often more reliable, but they don't react to change as fast as thoughts.

I honestly don't have any data whether thoughts or feelings are more reliable.

However as far as reaction time it is far faster to react by feel rather than thought.

I will find tests and proof if you need but I am quit sure of this.
Konging low stuff is stupid. Just jump over it. Or just do a cool flip over it.

Offline Darren Paul

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2010, 07:50:04 PM »
If I might offer my two cents, this topic already being fairly vague in its exact advice, I would say a great tip for parkour is rather than trust your body, trust yourself. Your ability to learn something intellectually, or through body memory, to be able to tackle a problem through instict or planning will vary depending on your individual personality, but what I have learned through parkour is that I am more capable than I often give myself credit for. When I accept and let go of my fear and trust I am adequate and up to the task I can succesfully tackle daunting challenges, whatever means I might use to approach them.

That you find by letting go of thinking about an obstacle your body can find a way is a great example of how you trust yourself. When a traceur looks at a challenge and parses it down and finds a way to maneuver through it by planning is another great example of how a traceur can trust themself.

Yahoo for belief in your own ability!

Offline Romans82

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2010, 08:45:18 PM »
Oh God.

Hahaha.

Good point. If you have no knowledge but you still trust your body you will find yourself jumping off of things and wondering why it hurts so bad.

Offline Seth Horner

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2010, 09:07:58 PM »
Well, of course you will have to know WHAT to do. But you will need to let your body do it, and not let your thoughts get in the way.

Offline Adam McC

• Delicious
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Lehigh Valley Parkour
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2010, 09:18:04 PM »
Well, of course you will have to know WHAT to do. But you will need to let your body do it, and not let your thoughts get in the way.

Right. Knowledge is a prerequisite, it is not something I'm saying should intrude on the moment of motion. We need knowledge to support ourselves so the body can perform in the moment and move with confidence. Its a relationship, a balance.

•Urban Current Member

Offline DaveS

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2010, 03:10:38 AM »
JP, no need. I don't disagree with you. :)

It's faster to react to feelings than thoughts.

The feelings themselves, however, take time to change in response to changing situations. That's one of the reasons why you repeat movements, so your internal body chemistry can get used to them.
For example, sometimes you can do a jump even though you're scared of it, but you're still scared because your body hasn't had time to become used to your legs being stronger and still responds based on your condition of a few days/weeks ago. It takes time and a lot of repetition to reset the body's self-awareness.
~ Dave
NorthernParkour and the British Parkour Coaching Association

Offline Jacquis "Curfew"

• Mangabey
  • CSRD patient
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 11, 2010, 11:27:01 AM »
ah i love the apk community  :P   

but on topic, fear is a good thing...in certain senerios(i think i spelled that right) yet it does get in the way when your body says "i can do this" and the only thing that you do is freeze and let thoughts creep in.
theres somethin to take from everything thats been said here + uno to all mwahahaha