Author Topic: If YOU were in charge of creating a Parkour Competition...  (Read 8320 times)

Offline Alissa J. Bratz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • middle-aged man in mom's basement eating Fritos
    • View Profile
    • wisconsinparkour.com
Re: If YOU were in charge of creating a Parkour Competition...
« Reply #60 on: January 31, 2010, 05:03:16 PM »
Okay I skimmed the thread. Maybe someone already suggested this in this thread, but a few years ago when there was another thread on this I suggested a time trial kind of thing:

Cordon off an area of city or park (or set up a bunch of obstacles randomly in a fixed area, to simulate an urban or nature environment).

"Hide" or place markers throughout the zone: flags, buttons hooked up to a counter/sensor, etc.

Set a starting point and an ending point.

Gather all the competitors at the starting line, fire a starting pistol and start the clock.

The winner is the one who has both the best time and hits the most markers.

Points system can be developed to rank competitors based on some matrix of time vs. markers, as well as points for techniques used, creativity, etc. ( <-- this part needs to be thought out in more detail).

:)

I do like a lot of the ideas that have been thrown out so far (what I could read in my skimming).

There could also be kind of a Peoples' Choice Award or something, where spectators, or the other competitors, vote for their favorite traceur based on criteria such as dedication, humility, discipline, safety, etc; those non-tangible qualities that we still value highly in our discipline.

I dunno. A girl shall think on it.
She followed slowly, taking a long time,
as though there were some obstacle in the way;
and yet: as though, once it was overcome,
she would be beyond all walking, and would fly.
--excerpt from Going Blind, Rainer Maria Rilke

www.madisonparkour.com

Offline jp2ykz

• Mangabey
  • Jamison
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 31, 2010, 09:20:48 PM »
Hey Rafe,

I actually pretty much agree with you. I think all kinds of things are considered Parkour and that the definition will change and evolve with how people use the word just as all words do. As far as the natural terrain I just forgot to mention it. :(

My only thing with the vid, if I really boil down, is that in my opinion (for what it's worth) there weren't very many parkour moves. I mean like moves that we commonly refer to and use in the community. Like the moves in the tutorial section of this site for a quick example.

I'm not really even saying that the stuff in the vid wasn't parkour. Just that it seemed more like a military obstacle course.  :-\

Is there a point where they are different??? I honestly don't know..

PS. Are you the same Rafe that I have seen on the Oregon parkour site? I'm from Portland but am on the road lately (like for 5 months and prolly 4 more). I had been slacking for awhile back in OR but the new city's' of the trip have re inspired me!! Any how I look forward to your thoughts here. 
Konging low stuff is stupid. Just jump over it. Or just do a cool flip over it.

Offline DaveS

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 01, 2010, 07:10:15 PM »
Parkour exists at the times when there is an obstacle in front of you and you have to use your limbs to pass it.

There are no specific movements defined as part of parkour. Only the existence of obstacles and movement past them.
~ Dave
NorthernParkour and the British Parkour Coaching Association