Author Topic: Is Parkour Still Parkour Without The Philosophies?  (Read 8211 times)

Offline JFJKDPK

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Be like Water & like Fire & like Air & like Earth
    • View Profile
Is Parkour Still Parkour Without The Philosophies?
« on: January 06, 2010, 04:09:35 PM »
I believe that if you perform "Parkour" without the philosophies in mind, all your doing is jumping, vaulting, and running.

What do you think?
Be like WATER. Be fluid, adapt to changes, move forward; just as the rivers do.  Be like FIRE. Spread yourself, but careful as well; flames can die easily.  Be like EARTH.  Stand tall in hardship, laugh in it's face, & never give in.  Be like AIR. Be light, silent; act as is if you are invisible

Offline My Name

• Patas
    • View Profile
Re: Is Parkour Still Parkour Without The Philosophies?
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2010, 04:11:00 PM »
"without philosphy action has no meaning"-Sebastian Foucan..........i think

Offline Matthew McDanel

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2010, 04:35:00 PM »
"without philosphy action has no meaning"-Sebastian Foucan..........i think

oww! great quote.

kinda wanna use it in my sig.

on topic: I feel that to me the philosphy behind parkour is what keeps me moving and keeps me motivated.

I am not sure that I personaly could practice the discipline effectivly without the philosphy behind it.

Offline Sam Chin

• Patas
  • Me Gangsta Walkin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2010, 04:41:23 PM »
on topic: I feel that to me the philosphy behind parkour is what keeps me moving and keeps me motivated.

I am not sure that I personaly could practice the discipline effectivly without the philosphy behind it.
AMEN BROTHA! totally agree, its my (and hopefully everyone's) motivation to do parkour. not only that though, i have so much fun doing it XD
started Parkour at DEC 13, 2009

Offline zac

• Guenons
  • The earth is my gym.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2010, 04:44:15 PM »
Idk if i would have the will to do without it. Just starting parkour but my life feels different by just understanding the philosophies and inserting them in my life. :) IT IS GREAT!

Offline Matthew McDanel

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 04:52:12 PM »
AMEN BROTHA! totally agree, its my (and hopefully everyone's) motivation to do parkour. not only that though, i have so much fun doing it XD

exactly. over the last month it has become PART of me. It has encouraged me to quit smokeing and to aproach every obsticle in my life the same way i would kong over a picnic table ;) (sorry sam- had to say it lol)

I understand I have a long way to go- but for the first time in a long time- I have found something that truly makes me feel like a better Me, every day.

Offline Sam Chin

• Patas
  • Me Gangsta Walkin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2010, 04:53:55 PM »

exactly. over the last month it has become PART of me. It has encouraged me to quit smokeing and to aproach every obsticle in my life the same way i would kong over a picnic table ;) (sorry sam- had to say it lol)

I understand I have a long way to go- but for the first time in a long time- I have found something that truly makes me feel like a better Me, every day.
Amen to that (again :P) and dude the kong over a picnic table was awesome so talking about it is awesome :P

Offline Chad Johnson

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2010, 05:37:10 PM »
Yeah I feel a bit enlightened after i began Parkour and as I progress hope I have an even greater understanding of it and life.  The beginning stages are hard because you basically have to do small things and condition yourself.

Offline Matthew McDanel

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2010, 05:37:53 PM »
Amen to that (again :P) and dude the kong over a picnic table was awesome so talking about it is awesome :P

good! now go drill it 100 more times till its perfect :P lol

Offline Chad Johnson

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2010, 05:56:49 PM »
Yeah that's the spirit lol.

Offline Sam Chin

• Patas
  • Me Gangsta Walkin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2010, 06:03:16 PM »

good! now go drill it 100 more times till its perfect :P lol
can do! :) id probably have so much fun that id accidentally do 200 times without knowing it :P

Offline Matthew McDanel

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2010, 06:08:37 PM »
heh i cant wait till this weekend- gonna kong the crap out of some picnic tables :P by the end of the day i hope to have it mastered.

Offline Rebecca Myers

• Mangabey
  • Can you hear me up there? (miniPK)
    • View Profile
    • iPK
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2010, 08:57:13 AM »
The same can be said in the opposite direction. If I do not believe that a formula will work in Physics, and yet I use it so as to not fail a test, am I still doing Physics? Yes.

My coaches refer to wrestling as a lifestyle, not just a sport. But if I simply go to practice, go through the motions, and don't care, without putting in extra time, watching what I eat, etc, am I no longer wrestling?

More could be said about religion, but as it is not allowed on this forum I will refrain. If you'd like to discuss, find me on facebook, shoot me a PM, etc.

This is not my belief, just playing devil's advocate.
I have this image of a tidal wave appearance from like 50 Traceurs and Traceuses doing PK from one end of a mall to the other. t'would be epic
Kyle(Rage)
iPK
Roof Police.
"Not now chief, I'm on the f****** roof."

Offline Jack Kendall

• Patas
    • View Profile
    • My PK blog
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2010, 02:06:28 PM »
That's exactly what I was thinking. I mean, probably almost none of us had any idea of the philosophy behind parkour when we first started, and yet we were still practicing the art. It is only after a certain time doing it that we can really grasp the concept of the philosophy. Does that mean that we weren't really doing anything until we had?

Offline Rafe

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Natural Athletics
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2010, 02:18:55 PM »
First of all the question is there truly a consistent parkour philosophy? If not how can something be defined by philosophy nobody can define?
I shall not fear, fear is the mind killer the little death that precedes total obliteration

I will face my fear, I will let it pass over and through me and were it is gone, I will turn the inner eye and see its path, and only I will remain.

Offline leftyPK

• Guenons
  • [LIИKIИ PARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2010, 02:50:27 PM »
without the philosophy behind, it parkour would just be running around jumping over stuff, imo

Offline Chad Johnson

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2010, 02:57:24 PM »
Parkour is philosophy and philosophy is Parkour. Oh yeah.

Offline Gabe Arnold

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Proud Founder of S.U.T.S.
    • View Profile
    • Gabe Arnold Fitness
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2010, 03:13:13 PM »
Parkour is a word. Freerunning is a word.

We are running around, jumping off stuff, and balancing on rails. We are moving around as we desire and seeking to improve our locomotive abilities.

Parkour, Freerunning, L'art du Deplacement, Rage Froobling, they are all just words that are trying to give reason to what we do.

If I didn't know anything about PK/FR, I'd still be climbing around on crap and generally being an overgrown kid. PK/FR has simply given me a better direction and tighter focus.

Parkour without philosophy (of any kind) is running and jumping around. Running and jumping around is Parkour. The two go hand in hand. Whether you realize it or not is the only difference.

Offline Matthew McDanel

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2010, 03:58:01 PM »
The same can be said in the opposite direction. If I do not believe that a formula will work in Physics, and yet I use it so as to not fail a test, am I still doing Physics? Yes.

My coaches refer to wrestling as a lifestyle, not just a sport. But if I simply go to practice, go through the motions, and don't care, without putting in extra time, watching what I eat, etc, am I no longer wrestling?

More could be said about religion, but as it is not allowed on this forum I will refrain. If you'd like to discuss, find me on facebook, shoot me a PM, etc.

This is not my belief, just playing devil's advocate.

you do make a very good point.

what i tend to notice in this in almost any sport or discipline- the ones who simply "slide by" and put the minimal ammount of time or energy in to thier activity of choice- are ussualy much less effective- and most likely will not stay dedicated and get bored easily and move on.

to me as I stated earlier- the only way I can keep moving forward in my discipline is to understand the philosophy behind it.

If i hop on a mountian bike and start riding around not understanding the philosphies behind my discipline- sure I am cycleing....but I am deffinitly no cyclist.

the same I think goes for parkour

if someone simply hops over a railing- sure they have completed a parkour technique- but they are no traceur.

Offline John Conway

• Mangabey
  • John Conway
    • View Profile
    • CouchSurfer
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2010, 03:03:48 PM »
I believe that if you perform "Parkour" without the philosophies in mind, all your doing is jumping, vaulting, and running.

What do you think?

You are right. Without the philosophy, then parkour is gone, and only movement is left. This is what justifies me when I say that Parkour was indeed created, and not something that has been around forever. The movements have been around forever, but the philosophy has not been, and the combination of this movement and these philosophies is what makes Parkour.