Author Topic: I have a really bad cold but I want to train  (Read 1519 times)

Offline Inu

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
I have a really bad cold but I want to train
« on: December 30, 2009, 12:32:11 PM »
I missed day of training and I just wanna go out and train but I have a cold. Can I still go out and train?

Offline Josh

• Patas
  • CHIEFTAIN PK/ Movement 101
    • View Profile
    • Chieftain PK
Re: I have a really bad cold but I want to train
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2009, 12:58:17 PM »
Is it just the common cold, or is it the flu? If it is the flu stay in bed and drink fluids! But, if it is just a cold, find ways to train inside. You can still exercise with a cold.

"Repetition of the simple is NOT a waste of time. Practice of the advanced without the perfection of the simple IS a waste of time." ~ Rick Henry

"Train in what you usually wear. Zombies won't wait for you to change out of your jeans."~ Patrick Yang

Offline Adam C

• Hirundo Rustica
  • I jump over stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2009, 01:15:13 PM »
It depends, usually when I get a cold, my senses are dulled, so I wouldn't recommend doing anything too advanced because you're probably more liable to screw up. Last time I had a cold though, I didn't let it stop me completely.
Although if this is pretty crippling, I'd just recommend watching some good videos to dull the pain and taking it easy until you're better.
"Hi! I'm Mark Toorock from American Parkour. Today, we're going to be showing you parkour."

I will crush my mental blocks into a fine powder, and then I will construct a fabulous Zen garden.

Offline Cheshire Parkour

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 04:41:30 PM »
i'd get better first. no sense in training feeling like crap. I'd wait till you feel 100%
In memory of Andrew. Rest in peace, fellow traceur.

Break, away from everybody. Break, away from everything. If you can't stand the way this place is, take yourself to higher places. - threedaysgrace

Offline Sam Chin

• Patas
  • Me Gangsta Walkin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 06:07:41 PM »
i remember when i first started parkour (which was almost 3 weeks ago), i got sick from working too hard and getting fatigued made me more susceptible to viruses, bacteria, and such, but i trained anyways because it's s much fun :)
started Parkour at DEC 13, 2009

Offline Shae Perkins

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Texas tough
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2009, 07:18:23 PM »
Just recently I just got over bronchitis and a severe sinus infection which I got from training with a cold for too long. Not saying it will happen to you, but I advise discretion because that whole ordeal was miserable. I felt like crap and I wasn't able to train for about a week. 
This post was based off of my personal gatherings. Enjoy:)

Offline Sharipov

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2009, 09:35:11 PM »
You should train and you can get rid of flu or getting cold by perspirating it really can help you. Just once work hard and sweat should pour off you. you see the results

Offline Andrew Stockton

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2009, 07:28:27 AM »
You should train and you can get rid of flu or getting cold by perspirating it really can help you. Just once work hard and sweat should pour off you. you see the results

No. Don't do this.
If you're sick, stay in bed. Drink water. Exerting yourself will probably make your condition worse.
Think about it this way: by not going out and training now, you're actually helping yourself more.
The body thrives when the heart has a mission.
Quote from: Impulse1990
i dont work ever really ever, i just train parkour and stuff.
Quote from: Impulse1990
Welp im just gona ignore it cause i thinking im going on the right path

Offline Shae Perkins

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Texas tough
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2009, 08:09:43 AM »

Ok, no. I agree that increased blood flow via some good activity can help clear out the sniffles or maybe a minor cold, but not the flu. I've tried it twice, and both times I regretted it:/
This post was based off of my personal gatherings. Enjoy:)

Offline Jeremy Osborn

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Wisconsin Parkour
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2009, 08:50:55 AM »
I have sweated off a cold, but the flu would be a no-go!
Wisconsin Parkour

Your friendly neighborhood Techno-head.

"The Chinese use two brush strokes for the word 'crisis', one stands for danger, the other for opportunity. In a crisis, be aware of the danger, but recognize the opportunity."

Offline David Glass

• Hirundo Rustica
  • CptBongue
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2009, 09:59:31 AM »
Listen to your body. If your body is telling you it's ready to train, go for it, but keep the intensity down... last thing you want is a relapse, which tends to be an even worse version of the same cold... I've gotten relapses that have kept me from training for weeks
Life can be divided in two phases: Before the first time, and After the first time
Traning Journal: http://www.performancemenu.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5147

Offline Matthew McDanel

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2009, 11:17:14 AM »
might be a good idea to do some light conditioning? some jogging or some strength training- I have heard its good for keeping the imune system healthy

oh! and get some Vitiman C and Vitiman D :P

Offline Alec Furtado

• kicks butt.
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Balance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2009, 11:26:54 AM »
Take it easy. Sleep a lot. Eat well. Drink a ton of water or tea.

I would say the most important thing is to get a ton of rest. I was getting sick constantly in college until I just started sleeping better (my normal habits were also taking vitamin supplements and eating well so that didn't change).
Water conforms to the shape of it's surroundings. Do not be water. Shape your own life.