Author Topic: Fear and Night Terror  (Read 2238 times)

Offline Gabe Arnold

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Proud Founder of S.U.T.S.
    • View Profile
    • Gabe Arnold Fitness
Fear and Night Terror
« on: December 28, 2009, 11:14:39 PM »
Does anyone else ever get really scared at night for no good reason? Scared as in...afraid to turn off the lights, afraid of the silence, afraid of things that aren't even near you or that happened long ago? And especially afraid of going to sleep because you're scared of what dreams you might have?

Because I'm going through one of those nights right now. I've been staying awake and turning on radios and lights for the past hour to keep things at bay. I'm most afraid of going to sleep because I can't escape my dreams. Once one starts it doesn't go away and you can't wake up easily. And my dreams are very, very vivid. I don't want to be walking right into a nightmare. I know that thinking about it makes it more likely and worse but I just can't seem to calm down.

And before anyone replies please know that I'm being very serious right now, this isn't a joke post.

Offline Jake Vigil

• Epically Awesome
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Be the Change you wish to see in the world
    • View Profile
Re: Fear and Night Terror
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 11:52:11 PM »
I never really had night terrors, but I had something similar a few years ago. This was about 5 years ago, but every night for about 5 months, I would get these intense panic attacks. Every night I would tremble in fear, terrified, knowing I was going to die that night, or soon. Cancer, Black widow bite, murderers at the window. Every night for months. It started driving me insane. I went into a psychotic depression, almost bipolar. During the day I was fine, but as soon as the sun went down, I'd start freaking out and having panic attacks ABOUT the panic attacks. It was a bad time.

That's my closest relation.
Life is what you make of it.
Training Log

Offline Ashley McCauley

• Is My Favorite
  • Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Strength sumblime, alive in my very skin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2009, 01:07:29 AM »
Gabe I get those nights every other night and it doesn't help that I suffer from insomnia. Not sure what would help but I usually try to watch a kids movie or listen to some cheery music, which is always Christmas music, Run DMC's 'Christmas in Hollis', and end up writing until I fall asleep in a dreamless sleep. But I have learned to deal with it so I'm not sure how I can help but I go through this often.
“Run your fingers through my soul. For once, just once, feel exactly what I feel, believe what I believe, perceive as I perceive, look, experience, examine, and for once; just once, understand."

Offline Spencer B

• the Romantic
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • ...*BANG*...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2009, 10:46:25 AM »
I used to always have minor insomnia, it would take me about at least an hour to get down. But I cured it or outgrew it or something. (I'd honestly say my habit of stretching/mild meditation for about 30-60 minutes before bed really helped [but that was when I was trying to get my splits{And I'm not doing that anymore, yet I can still fall asleep easily|It's somethign I'm really thankful for to be honest|}])

But I still get sad at night, pretty much every night, and it's not fun. I don't know if you'd call it depression, but I start thinking abotu finality and fate, and the point of it all, and it just doesn't work well for keeping me sane.

Also, these.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 01:05:30 PM by Spencer B »
www.cracked.com
www.tvtropes.org

There are times when you want to break down and rage at the heavens. Don't. Stay calm, and let the emotions flood in, accept them and then rise above them. Never dwell. Don't fear or worry. Anything worth thinking about is worth talking about. And... Good luck.

Offline Dylan Antonsen

• Mangabey
  • Have efficiency, will travel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2009, 12:24:35 PM »
I've been scared of my dreams and nightmares for the past couple weeks, it got so bad I stayed up for 30 hours before I just plain passed out.
I got no cure, it's still happening.
Ten pushups, twenty crunches, twenty squats.
^My version of the ten pushups club.

Offline Derek broussard

• Patas
    • View Profile
    • bluewaterdreamz
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2009, 01:03:52 PM »
I think its ironic, how as a particapent in a  sport/way of life  based on the concept of overcoming fear and obsticals in life So many of you are having difficultys overcoming the basic domesticated fear of the dark.

Offline Brandan Mendenhall

• Hirundo Rustica
  • [est. 1988]
    • View Profile
    • Arizona Parkour
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2009, 01:15:30 PM »
I think its ironic, how as a particapent in a  sport/way of life  based on the concept of overcoming fear and obsticals in life So many of you are having difficultys overcoming the basic domesticated fear of the dark.

Why? When you decided you were a traceur, did you immediately overcome every single obstacle in your entire life, past, present, and future, without any effort? No.

Being in the process of overcoming one's fears is not the same as failing, or "having trouble".

Gabe, I noticed you posted this early this morning (true?). How did things turn out for you?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2009, 01:18:10 PM by Brandan »
Your obstacle is my shortcut.

Offline Derek broussard

• Patas
    • View Profile
    • bluewaterdreamz
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2009, 03:48:01 PM »

"When you decided you were a traceur, did you immediately overcome every single obstacle in your entire life, past, present, and future, without any effort? No."

Thats a pretty closed question. Seeing how its not possible to change the past.  As far as the present and future, All Fear is conquered the same way.

and When did I say they failed? I only mention ironic, because when you think of traceur ( precisions, Gaps, etc,) you wouldn't think " afraid of the dark"

These obstacles and fear, are no different than any other, and should be treated, and dominated the same way

Offline Rebecca Myers

• Mangabey
  • Can you hear me up there? (miniPK)
    • View Profile
    • iPK
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2009, 03:53:04 PM »
Sometimes, if I get hooked on the thought, I'll start thinking about death. Like hardcore, trying to discover what it will feel like if I really am just...gone. I'll start to squirm and freak out, it's hard to get out of it. It only ever happens at night.
I have this image of a tidal wave appearance from like 50 Traceurs and Traceuses doing PK from one end of a mall to the other. t'would be epic
Kyle(Rage)
iPK
Roof Police.
"Not now chief, I'm on the f****** roof."

Offline 20draws10

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • live life to the fullest or why live at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2009, 07:50:30 PM »
I used to get this a lot but I can cope with it now.
When I was in 5th grade (idk how old I was...don't really want to figure it out right now...I never failed a grade so normal age) I was hardcore into astronomy. I used to get freaked out when I would think about infinity, and the limitlessness of time and space and that got me thinking about death a lot. There is no end to anything!!! Being that young and trying to cope with that idea was quite stressful. I used to lay awake for days just thinking of it. One time I went a whole week without sleep. This went on for about 3 years. Looking back at it now I am glad I dealt with that back then. In my senior physics class we studied black holes for a week. I overhead people talking about what I was going through like 7 years ago.
97% of people say "oh $#%@" when their car slides on ice, the other 3% are from Canada and say, "Hold my beer and watch this!"

Offline Gabe Arnold

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Proud Founder of S.U.T.S.
    • View Profile
    • Gabe Arnold Fitness
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2009, 12:03:36 AM »
Hey, a quick update. I finally managed to fall asleep around 4am after watching back-to-back-to-back episodes of Most Extreme Elimination Challenge. Usually the only thing that helps me to calm down is to just surf the internet or watch something mindless. And luckily it worked again haha.

I think it wasn't so much fear of the dark or fear of death but a fear of my own imagination. I've always had a very, very active imagination and it gets especially powerful at night when there are fewer things to distract it. 90% of the time it's not a problem because I get to thinking about all kinds of cool/nice/interesting stuff, like new chapters for my RISE story or what it'd be like to visit Japan again solo or what it'd be like to fly. Then my dreams, which my imagination is especially
good at creating, follow suit. (I can only describe them as "cinematic" in quality.)

But sometimes, like last night, I get to thinking about "bad" stuff. Stuff like, how so many people get hurt in the world and all the different ways people suffer for no reason and how anyone could get a kick out of it. (For example, I was reading about the Marquis de Sade before bed. Google him if you want but be warned, it's extremely graphic stuff) It just gives me a really anxious, frightened feeling, to think that someone could enjoy causing pain and stuff along those lines. Then I'm afraid to fall asleep because my dreams will magnify that feeling ten-fold and I can't escape it until I wake up, which isn't easy.

Offline Jerald Donald Konkel

• Mangabey
  • Land softly and Roll Smoothly
    • View Profile
    • PunKurac Parkour
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2009, 02:57:46 AM »
I used to have this one re-occurring dream where a "Presence" was waiting in the shadow for me and when I walk into the room he would pull me closer to him and choke me........ I would have this dream so often that on the nights this dream occurred I would expect him to attack me again, and In the dream I wouldn't just take it anymore, I would fight back, and then I would be searching for him and attacking him first. Kinda cool cause it was a very vivid re-occurring dream and it was as if It was reality. something you'd never forget... but for some reason I stopped having it a year ago.   

"We're Apes, not monkeys" GPK
"Get off the roof, for your own safety" APK Roof Police

Offline 20draws10

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • live life to the fullest or why live at all
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2009, 05:04:46 AM »
If you get caught in one of those bad cycles, this is what helped me. Find a good HAPPY book. Its better if you can find a long one, so it lasts longer before you have to find another one. And just read. I don't know if this works for other people, but I find that reading absorbs my full attention and I quickly fall asleep. I find if you read for as long as you can then when you put the book down you dont really have time to start thinking about other things before you just crash. Sometimes I would find a really good book and just read until I literally fell asleep with the book in my hands.
97% of people say "oh $#%@" when their car slides on ice, the other 3% are from Canada and say, "Hold my beer and watch this!"

Offline Rebecca Myers

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • iPK
« Reply #13 on: December 30, 2009, 07:26:09 AM »
MOST EXTREME ELIMINATION CHALLENGE! I'm going to have to try that remedy sometime.
I have this image of a tidal wave appearance from like 50 Traceurs and Traceuses doing PK from one end of a mall to the other. t'would be epic
Kyle(Rage)
iPK
Roof Police.

Offline Schuman

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2009, 08:18:28 AM »
I have a friend who had the same problem. His doc told him to watch spongebob before bed(no joke). thank God for mind draining tv.
Focus, Intensity, Tempo,

Offline Dylan Antonsen

• Mangabey
  • Have efficiency, will travel.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 30, 2009, 09:43:27 AM »
You try having my nightmares then come talk to me buddy.
Dark doesn't scare me at all, the POTENTIAL in the dark scares the ever loving shit out of me.
Ten pushups, twenty crunches, twenty squats.
^My version of the ten pushups club.

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • PunKurac Parkour
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2009, 10:02:05 AM »
I am thankful I had the dreams I had.... I have learned not to fear them anymore, and thus I have learned to not fear anything in life anymore... Which has helped me in Parkour alot. I face challenges head on now, instead of trying to avoid them or resist them. Its strange how the mind can change your whole life through mental Obstacles. Like the dream I used to have.... if any of you would ever have it you'd probably be scared out of your F-in minds.

Offline Brandan Mendenhall

• Hirundo Rustica
  • [est. 1988]
    • View Profile
    • Arizona Parkour
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2009, 10:42:49 AM »
I don't mean to be the buzzkill here, but why are you guys assuming your nightmares are worse than anybody else's?
Your obstacle is my shortcut.

Offline Rebecca Myers

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • iPK
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2009, 10:44:12 AM »
I don't mean to be the buzzkill here, but why are you guys assuming your nightmares are worse than anybody else's?

Seconded.
Kyle(Rage)
iPK
Roof Police.

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • PunKurac Parkour
« Reply #19 on: December 30, 2009, 10:58:39 AM »

Seconded.

Thirded, lol

I'm sorry if you got the impression I was assuming my nightmares were superior to everyone else's..... I didn't mean it in that way...