Author Topic: Janines Interview  (Read 15379 times)

Offline Ozzi

• Sexability Head Coach
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • HIpk
    • View Profile
    • Hawaii Parkour
Janines Interview
« on: December 14, 2009, 03:25:41 PM »
Next up, Janine Cundy...

"Be the change you want to see in the world"
 Ghandi

Offline Matthew Wang

• Total Awesome
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • July 1st, 2008 - My first day of training
    • View Profile
Janines Interview
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2009, 05:00:34 PM »
Where is your favorite place to train (what park, area of Seattle, etc.)? I'm from Washington myself.
http://www.washingtonparkour.com/
Need something Washington Parkour related?
matt@washingtonparkour.com
washington@americanparkour.com
10 PUSH UPS OR 5 PULL UPS PER POST

Offline Rebecca Myers

• Mangabey
  • Can you hear me up there? (miniPK)
    • View Profile
    • iPK
Janines Interview
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2009, 06:10:33 PM »
Yay Janine!

-Have you ever been disrespected for being a woman? How did you deal with that?
-What is your favorite PK/FR move and why?
-What current obstacle are you working to get by in terms of life, parkour, anything?
I have this image of a tidal wave appearance from like 50 Traceurs and Traceuses doing PK from one end of a mall to the other. t'would be epic
Kyle(Rage)
iPK
Roof Police.
"Not now chief, I'm on the f****** roof."

Offline Corndogg

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • SF Parkour
Janines Interview
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2009, 06:34:59 PM »
How do you describe parkour to others?
SF Parkour // SFPK - | Website | Forum | YouTube |
Serving the Greater San Francisco Bay Area

Offline Alex frogger Brown

• Patas
    • View Profile
Janines Interview
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2009, 06:44:45 AM »
how did you first discover Parkour?
what your regular conditioning routine?
how do you feel about being the new editor of The Freerunner?
*PMPA*
"And traceurs we shall be family, for motion sets us free. Power descendeth forth from our hands, as our feet carry us swiftly across the land. May our flow be like water to thee, and in play shall we forever be. In nomine Belle, et Yamakasi, et Spiritu APK. Amen."

Offline Paul Leon Mederos

• Legend
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Simple Knowledge - Leon's Tumblr Blog
Janines Interview
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2009, 01:37:00 PM »
Do you feel that Parkour has any altruistic ties to it, meaning should the movement and discipline be associated with things such as respect, humility, compassion, perseverance, bravery, and love? Or should it be simply a training method?

How do you feel about describing parkour as a challenge rather than a competition? Or is there no difference, just two words meaning the same thing?

At your point in the path, what do you currently train for? What are your hopes and aspirations for parkour and it's community?

thanks for your time Ms Cundy  :)
When we move, we move as one.

Act; for the universe will never forget your movement, nor will it ever forgive your stillness.

Offline Sparklefish

• EAF!
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • San Francisco Parkour
Janines Interview
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2009, 04:35:09 PM »
Janine!!!  ;D

How are your pirouettes coming along?  (If you need help, pirouette clinics are Muse's specialty.)
What is a thief vault (everyone seems to swear they know for sure, yet no one agrees on what it is)?
Tell us a story about traveling and parkour.

Offline Phytolith

• Mangabey
  • Phytolith
    • View Profile
    • APK Alliance Blog
Janines Interview
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2009, 11:25:22 AM »
How did you like working on Caper Chronicles?
How do you train / what is your mental process for getting over things that scare you?

Offline Anne

• Guenons
    • View Profile
Janines Interview
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2009, 09:53:03 AM »
Janine!  :D
How did you get so awesome?  :P
I have a vague recollection that you've worked with horses, can you elaborate on that?
You have a positive, confident outlook on life, and a caring, generous personality. How did you get there and how do you stay there during times of stress?

Offline Chris Seaton

• Mangabey
  • TVD, ESQ.
    • View Profile
    • TV TV Dog
Janines Interview
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2009, 09:57:10 AM »
What can traceurs do to help break down the gender barriers in parkour for traceuses? 

For that matter, do you perceive any kind of gender barrier in parkour?

Finally, has anyone ever told you the character of Celeste in Mirror's Edge seems to be based off you? 
GO GET YOU SOME LIKENESS RIGHTS!!
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 05:43:34 PM by Chris Seaton »

Posts by Mr. Seaton should be interpreted as simply for either informational purposes or his own pure amusement, and are never to be construed as providing legal advice or forming an attorney-client relationship.

Offline Tom Coppola

• Hirundo Rustica
  • TomewardBound
    • View Profile
    • Florida Parkour
Janines Interview
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2009, 11:02:31 AM »
Why do you practice parkour?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfGJ-vaW0Uw

When faced with the stress of a life-threatening engagement, we don't rise to the occasion, we descend to our level of training.

Offline Ozzi

• Sexability Head Coach
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • HIpk
    • View Profile
    • Hawaii Parkour
Janines Interview
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2009, 01:07:52 PM »
While as males we "have" the power and strength, I've always believe females posses better balance, agility and flexibility.

What do you think is the one skill you posses over males? and is this in most part due to your training, or does it have to do with any difference on body type between males and females?

How are you so awesome ;) and when you coming to hawaii?
 Ghandi

Offline Jacquis "Curfew"

• Mangabey
  • CSRD patient
    • View Profile
Janines Interview
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2009, 07:02:26 PM »
What is the general idea of your plans when the zombie outbreak starts?   ;D

how long have you been interested in parkour?

what are your thoughts on the situation in cambridge

Offline Sparklefish

• EAF!
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • San Francisco Parkour
Janines Interview
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2009, 07:34:27 PM »
What other sports/arts/disciplines/whatever did you do before parkour?

What besides parkour is in your training regimen (rock climbing, weights, dance, swimming, etc.)?

Name 5 books we should all read... training related or not.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 01:29:59 PM by Brett Robert »

Offline Brandee

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
    • MonkeeMoves
Janines Interview
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2009, 10:49:09 PM »
What has been your greatest challenge(s) as you progress within parkour--both in your training, and gaining responsibility in the greater community?

Will you make another video soon?...Please?

(Shht fssst ha! Ft shhh hep ha?)
"300 Characters"

Parkour Visions :: PKV

...Yeah, I'm my signature. Weird, right?

Offline Andrew Wilson

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Pain is Temporary, Glory is Eternal - Courage Wolf
    • View Profile
    • Take Flight Apparel
Janines Interview
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2009, 06:24:51 PM »
It looks like in one of your pics, you were at Keller Fountain. If this is true, do you think its a good place to train?
"It's not about going out and finding a place to perform certain moves, it's about going out to your environment and truly adapting to it."

www.takeflightapparel.com - Very durable parkour clothing!

Offline Janine

• Guenons
    • View Profile
    • Pacific Northwest Parkour Association
Janines Interview
« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2009, 11:36:15 AM »
Hey all!  Thank you for all of your thoughtful questions!   I'm going to take a day or two here, spend some time thinking them over properly, and then I'll get back to you.   

This is going to be fun. :)
Get your hooks in!

Offline Charles Moreland

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • www.charlesmoreland.com
Janines Interview
« Reply #17 on: December 21, 2009, 11:59:46 AM »
Wait!

One last request!

Could you please name your top 3 "Ah-Ha!" moments that you have encountered so far in your life? Training related or not.

Offline Ozzi

• Sexability Head Coach
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • HIpk
    • View Profile
    • Hawaii Parkour
Janines Interview
« Reply #18 on: December 21, 2009, 06:50:25 PM »
Alright guys we done. Lets now wait for the awesome answers.

Thanks Janine, you rock, but I am sure you already knew that ;)
 Ghandi

Offline Janine

• Guenons
    • View Profile
    • Pacific Northwest Parkour Association
Janines Interview
« Reply #19 on: December 24, 2009, 08:22:34 PM »
Ok!  Here's the first batch!

To start off with, I have to say that I'm extremely flattered at the questions and interest you've all put into this thread.  I adore the support, and you've made me want to be more even more involved in this community through your thoughtful words.  Thank you.

Ozzi-
Question:While as males we "have" the power and strength, I've always believe females posses better balance, agility and flexibility.
What do you think is the one skill you posses over males? and is this in most part due to your training, or does it have to do with any difference on body type between males and females?

AnswerI think that the only real advantage that I have is that my power to weight ratio is different than most males. Basically, I'm smaller than most fellas (except you, Jereme! hugs)  I discovered that I have rather large laches, and I chalk this up to me being smaller and thus being able to fling myself futher.   And yes, I very much contribute this, and my endurance abilities (which is the only other really different thing that I seem to have from my male counterparts) to training.  I don't believe that either gender gets anywhere without hard work.  You guys aren't just naturally bad-ass either.  I know you work hard at it, and I respect you for it. :)
How are you so awesome  and when you coming to hawaii?
I accidentally ran over a kitten on my motorcycle once.  I think that, because I was so horrified, I sucked up it's feline powers of fuzziness and agility.  Like eating your enemy's brains.  That kind of thing.  
I'll be there as soon as I can.  Crazy times right now brah!

-Brett Robert
How are your pirouettes coming along?  (If you need help, pirouette clinics are Muse's specialty.)
I'm not falling over any more! ... Mostly.
What is a thief vault (everyone seems to swear they know for sure, yet no one agrees on what it is)?
Take one part hand placement stipulations, mix in two parts specific angle of approach, and blend into a puree of I don't care anymore.  I used to be very interested in the different vaults (mostly in a self-assuring "I've got a checklist of moves to learn until I'm a real traceuse" kind of way).  Now all I really care about is being able to move with confidence in any situation.  Labels are limiting.
Tell us a story about traveling and parkour.
The first national jam I went to was an NYPK.  I remember walking along the suburbs of NJ with a dirty hands and a sticky tank top,  wide-eyed at the glory of being surrounded by fireflies and free souls on their way to a hell night of conditioning. I knew that night that there was no going back for me, I was in.
What other sports/arts/disciplines/whatever did you do before parkour? What besides parkour is in your training regimen (rock climbing, weights, dance, swimming, etc.)?
Before parkour, I trained horses.  I rode english (jumping, racing), western (rodeo, trails), and bareback for fun whenever I could.  That's actually where I got my start in stunting!  (Woo falling off of things for monies!).   I also fenced (classical foil),  ran long distance, played tennis, lifted weights, danced hip hop and swing, swam, juggled, and pretty much did anything else I could get my hands on.   The running, swimming, lifting, juggling, and dancing are basically what I supplement my parkour with now.  I'm adding in acrobatics and acrobalance when I can.  Crossfit played a huge role in where I am now in my training. .. that and guidance from Rafe. 
Name 5 books we should all read... training related or not.
I love this question. 
1) The Power of One  2) Mountains beyond Mountains 3)The Princess Bride (better as a book!) 4)An Underground Education 5)The Pig that Wanted to be Eaten

-Brandee-girl
What has been your greatest challenge(s) as you progress within parkour--both in your training, and gaining responsibility in the greater community?
My greatest challenge has been understanding that it is always ok to go through the learning process, even if people expect you to know something already.  I felt, once I started becoming known by more people than I knew, that I put pressure on myself to grow faster than I do normally.  I am a slow progressor.  I try, i fail, repeat repeat repeat, and then I get closer to success.  It doesn't happen instantaneously.  And, I'm learning that there's some honor in the determination that it takes to stick with it.
Will you make another video soon?...Please?
Ha, I'm definitely working on it!  I've got some fun new things to share with you all! Can't seem to find my camera though.... >.>
(Shht fssst ha! Ft shhh hep ha?)
(Hep hep sssst fah! Shhh bin bin bin.)

-Andrew
It looks like in one of your pics, you were at Keller Fountain. If this is true, do you think its a good place to train?
That pic was from Freeway Park, which is another Halprin fountain like Keller.  I've been to Keller Fountain also, and loved it.  I owe Mr. Halprin a great show of gratitude.  All of his fountains are fantastic, gritty, enlightening places to play.

-Amanda
How did you like working on Caper Chronicles?
The Caper Chronicles was GREAT!  The 5pm to 6am call times, the crazy cold nights, the talented and hilarious crew, and the stunt fights!! Oh such great times.  I can't wait to do another!
How do you train / what is your mental process for getting over things that scare you?
When I'm scared of something, I assess whether or not I'm scared with good reason.  If it's a movement I can conquer, but am holding myself back out of unreasonable fear, I try to look at my feet as I run up to it and then at the last minute look up and conquer.  I learned that one from Devin Martin in Texas.  It's the "don't look, just go" theory of rocking. :p Thanks, Devin!

-Matthew W
Where is your favorite place to train (what park, area of Seattle, etc.)? I'm from Washington myself.
I really love a particular set of railings in the back of a Skate Shop down by the viaduct and Union street.   The guys who run the shop are really welcoming to me, and usually come out and watch.   I also love love love the Parkour Visions gym.  It's a second home to me, and I'm really missing it now that I'm in DC.  Primal Fitness is kick-ass, don't get me wrong, but if you're in Seattle, go to PKV.

Also, have I met you?  It's difficult to tell from your avatar.  If not, I hope to someday!

Could you please name your top 3 "Ah-Ha!" moments that you have encountered so far in your life? Training related or not.
-Oh Charlie, there are so many.  I think that the strongest "ah-ha" parkour moment I can remember is in my first year of training, running through po-dunk nowhere'sville in Washington State, teaching myself how to lazy vault.   It was raining, and cold, I was out late for hours doing a circuit that lead up to steadily bigger slopes of concrete.  My hands were torn, my shirt was stained, but my landings were quiet.  I remember walking back afterwards,  the streets were abandoned - everyone else in bed- and I felt like I owned that town.  The way a child owns a teddy bear.  I owned it because I loved it, all the worn and gritty places in it, and there was an incredible freedom in that.  I am still addicted to that freedom and the personal rewards of hard work.
_ Charlie

What is the general idea of your plans when the zombie outbreak starts?   
Someone once asked what my zombie weapon of choice was.
I sat for a bit and thought hard about what the smallest, lightest, most efficient weapon would be.  It would need to be something that didn't get in the way, or hold me back from running, yet would do the job.
"My hands", I answered.
-So that's the plan.
How long have you been interested in parkour?
I've been interested in parkour since "Jump London" aired in 2003.  Something about the freedom of movement, and the joy visible in the practitioners faces as they glided around, was irresistible to me.   That documentary fueled many dreams that slowly became realities as I met Tyson Cecka in 2005 and was introduced to parkour in reality.
What are your thoughts on the situation in cambridge.
I feel that there will always be discontent, and misunderstandings between our community and others (and even within our own communities.. sometimes especially there).  The only thing we can do is each try individually to be open minded, patient, and verbal about our intentions.
- Jacquis

Why do you practice parkour?
Because it makes me happy.  Because the longer and harder I train, the easier it will be for the next generation of girls to start.  Because it makes me a better, stronger, more humble person every time.  Because I like the feeling when I finally nail a technique.  Because I like that it's ok if that doesn't happen today.  Because when I bleed, I remember that I'm just the same as everyone else.
Tom Coppola

What can traceurs do to help break down the gender barriers in parkour for traceuses? 
Don't ignore that there is one, but don't make it the most important part of training with someone of the opposite gender.  Never set limits, or make excuses for a woman.  Let her find her level, and from there, grow at her own pace.  Never take for granted the time and effort it takes a man to work with his potential for strength. ( I've seen that one happen too often. Backhanded remarks like "Yeah, but you're a man, you're naturally stronger." are ignorant and just as disrespectful as expecting a woman to be unable.)  I feel that the only times I am really aware of the "gender barrier" is when people expect me to need help, to only achieve a certain level, or make an excuse for me before I've stopped trying.
For that matter, do you perceive any kind of gender barrier in parkour?
I don't feel it, but I know it's there.
Finally, has anyone ever told you the character of Celeste in Mirror's Edge seems to be based off you? 
GO GET YOU SOME LIKENESS RIGHTS!!
Haha, <3 you.  Thanks!

Chris Seaton

Janine! 
How did you get so awesome? 
Have you heard the kitten story?  :p
You have a positive, confident outlook on life, and a caring, generous personality. How did you get there and how do you stay there during times of stress?
I am so flattered.  I've read that sentence over and over, and it's just so darn nice of you to think so.  I have good days, and they generally coincide with being at a jam (what a lovely place to be, after all!), but I often have off days.  I have days I get discouraged, and insecure, wrapped in fear of failure.. sometimes even fear of success.  I've been jealous of another friends' successes.  I've cried on walls out of frustration.  I'm very very human.  What I do try to do though, is always be honest with myself and try to see every situation from as many points of view as possible.   It's not too hard to see a situation from another person's point of view,  and making a real human connection is more than worth the effort it takes to be compassionate.   
Ann O.

Do you feel that Parkour has any altruistic ties to it, meaning should the movement and discipline be associated with things such as respect, humility, compassion, perseverance, bravery, and love? Or should it be simply a training method?
I feel that if we don't connect our training on a deeper level, then it is just masturbation.  It's not enough to become a better person physically, we must always always strive to become better truly.
How do you feel about describing parkour as a challenge rather than a competition? Or is there no difference, just two words meaning the same thing?
I definitely see a difference between "challenge" and "competition".  Challenge is internal, competition external. 
At your point in the path, what do you currently train for? What are your hopes and aspirations for parkour and it's community?
Right now, I train for mental readiness.  I want to trust myself, knowing that I am capable.  Not just physically, but in all things that I work on.  My aspirations for the parkour community are to hold fast to each other, and then branch out to use our unified strength to lift up those who have yet to find their own.  I hope that we begin to focus on using movement as a way to inspire people to trust, love, and take pride in themselves for the right reasons.
Leon

how did you first discover Parkour?
Jump London! And then, Tyson Cecka.
what your regular conditioning routine?
You know that feeling when your heart pounds hard enough that you feel it in your temples, and it's hard to breathe?  I try to get there somehow every day.  Whether it's swimming, running, crossfit, parkour, or dancing crazybad in the laundry soap aisle at Safeway..  I get my workouts in.
how do you feel about being the new editor of The Freerunner?
Well, it's a two-sided coin.  On one side, I am suuuuper excited to work with so many talented writers and, at the same time, geek out over grammar.  On the other, I'm constantly nervous that I'm going to typo somewhere... 0.o
Alex

How do you describe parkour to others?
I call it "The art of "I can.""
Corndogg

-Have you ever been disrespected for being a woman? How did you deal with that?
I have felt that I have, but now that I'm not as defensive as I was in the beginning, I think I was over-reacting.  Here's the story: I was training at a national jam, and very happily working on a split-foot kong progression.  Out of nowhere came a very well meaning traceur who thought what they saw was me repeatedly failing a kong (any type of kong).   He stayed with me and coached me through every single kong I tried.  What I felt then was severely disrespected, because I had been training punch kongs for a year, hard.  I was cocky,  proud of my ability to clear clavicle-height obstacles.  I wasn't going to go out of my way to be snippy and tell him that, but internally I felt that he didn't acknowledge the numerous hours I'd spent familiarizing myself with that technique, and that I merely wanted to perfect a different approach.  My reaction was to stay absolutely silent, not respond, and avoid him for the rest of the weekend. 

I have witnessed many male traceurs give extra attention to traceuses, perhaps thinking that because we take longer to learn, we must not understand movement as well as they do.  This was always frustrating to me, since I knew I'd always be a slow physical learner, even though I understood the techniques well enough cerebrally.  It felt patronizing.  This has started to change.

The catalyst for this change took place at a national jam last summer, when I unknowingly offered some advice to a very well trained traceur about doing a lache.  I would have never thought to advise him, had I known then who he was, but since I had no idea the words just came out.  Turns out, my advice took root and helped.  Go figure.  Everyone can learn something from everyone else.  Even if they already know internally what's what, hearing it can help, listening can help, even if it doesn't - it teaches patience.
-What is your favorite PK/FR move and why?
I F-ing love laches.  Something about being able to swing and fling yourself through the air is extremely satisfying for me.  Feels good on the shoulders.
-What current obstacle are you working to get by in terms of life, parkour, anything?
I need to conquer my fear of inversion, and loneliness.  Flips scare me still, and I feel like I need to work through that.  Also, I just moved from Seattle to DC and I am afraid of losing ties with people I love.  I need to trust more.
Rebecca
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 08:53:39 PM by Janine »
Get your hooks in!