Author Topic: New Parkour/Movement Games Content  (Read 4716 times)

Offline Mark Lewis

• Guenons
    • View Profile
    • LPK
New Parkour/Movement Games Content
« on: December 23, 2009, 10:44:41 PM »
I was gonna post this elsewhere, but I wanted to make sure The Freerunner staff got a look at it. So I decided to start a thread, maybe it'll snowball.

Tonight we played a new game that I thought was interesting! Here's how it goes:

Get a paper bag. A big grocery bag is ideal, but others could work. Then main necessity is that it be a paper bag. Place the bag on the ground. The object is to stand on 1 leg, dip down, attempt to pick up the bag using your mouth and return to standing on 1 leg. Your turn starts when you lift one foot off the ground. The only part of you that can touch the ground is the sole that shoe until the end of the attempt. Hopping is okay. You must straighten all the way up with the bag in your mouth for it to be considered a success. When everyone in the group succeeds, tear 1in. off the top of the bag and repeat. Each person gets two attempts at each new level. If both fail, you are out. Last man standing wins!

You could vary this by alternating legs each round, or by playing a separate game for each leg.
The strongest of seeds take root in hostile grounds. They don't fight the elements. They find thier harmony.

Offline Janine

• Guenons
    • View Profile
    • Pacific Northwest Parkour Association
Re: New Parkour/Movement Games Content
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2009, 06:20:05 PM »
Haha!  Mark, that's great!  Do you mind if I publish this in the new Freerunner?  I want our readers to play this game.

If you would like to revise, or even rewrite, your text on how to play the game so that it fits a more "magazine-y" crowd, that's great.  Email it to me at Janine@americanparkour.com

Thanks!
Get your hooks in!

Offline JimmyD-TPK

• Patas
  • jimmy -Temecula Parkour
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2009, 06:32:06 PM »
haha in the article?   thats a nice reply

that sounds fun   how did u come up with that?
-insert something insperational here- 

Temecula Parkour + youtube = goodtime

Offline Mark Lewis

• Guenons
    • View Profile
    • LPK
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2009, 12:06:08 PM »
I was hoping you would want to publish it Janine. That would be great! Holidays have me somewhat tied up, but I'll revise the instructions and shoot them over in an e-mail soon. Cheers!
The strongest of seeds take root in hostile grounds. They don't fight the elements. They find thier harmony.

Offline Mark Lewis

• Guenons
    • View Profile
    • LPK
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2010, 01:43:23 PM »
Here's another game I like:

Baby

This game is best played with 4+ players (still possible with 2 or 3 though)

You will need a "Baby". This can be nearly anything. We use an oddly shaped hunk of rubber we found washed up out of the river (about 10lbs). You could use a stone, piece of driftwood, or a medicine ball. I do recommend odd shapes and to keep it relatively light (at least at first).

The object of the game is to transport the Baby to safety as quickly as possible using teamwork.

1. Pick a starting point and an ending point. Begin with simple terrain.

2. If you hold the Baby for more than 3 seconds it is "dead". Likewise, if the Baby is dropped it is "dead".

3. You cannot move your feet while holding the Baby. If you move your feet the Baby is "dead".

4. One player starts with the Baby in hand, then tosses it to the next player.

5. If you end up with a dead baby, reset and try again.

6. Once the baby arrives at the endpoint "alive", the group has succeeded.

7. Try to improve. You may use a stopwatch or simply count the number of times the baby was tossed. Fewer tosses or a faster time is better.

Variations:

1. Try this on highly varied terrain. Take the Baby over walls, through trees, across beaches strewn with driftwood, etc.

2. Change Babies. As you get more comfortable, try something with a bit more weight or a strange shape.

Other Notes:

1. Whatever object you choose as your Baby: before you play, stand in a circle as a group and toss it back and forth for a few minutes; make sure you've chosen appropriately; if someone doesn't feel comfortable, try a new baby.

2. Be very aware. Don't lob a 20lb rock at someone who isn't even looking at you yet. Better a "dead baby" than an unconscious friend.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 01:48:17 PM by Mark Lewis »

Offline M1L3S

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2010, 03:19:19 PM »
All these dead babies, i'm feeling uncomfortable

Offline Janine

• Guenons
    • View Profile
    • Pacific Northwest Parkour Association
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2010, 11:17:31 AM »
lolz :) another genius one.  I actually want to go play this now.
Get your hooks in!

Offline Mark Lewis

• Guenons
    • View Profile
    • LPK
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2010, 02:27:29 PM »
This hunk of rubber has become our favorite toy now. We keep inventing new ways to play with it. We came up with this last Wed:

We met at our usual spot by the park and had planned to move into downtown a bit after warming up. We decided to take the baby with us. After just randomly pitching it back and forth for a few while jogging, the game started to become more specific.

1. We started running singled file.

2. Everyone faced the baby. If it was behind you you jogged backwards.

3. If you were at the front or the back, you did one full rotation (like a juke) before passing back through the line.

4. After the person at the back sent the baby back toward the front of the line, they would run quickly to the front of the line to rotate everyone's position.

We did this for about 1/2-3/4 mi. and it was awesome. We just negotiated whatever terrain came, sometimes breaking formation momentarily to avoid icy patches or trees. We all started to get very aware of our surrounding and really tuned into the same wavelength. Good times!

Offline yaktownruner

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2010, 12:28:45 PM »
me and some friends did this, its a really good test of awareness its one of my new favorites.