Author Topic: Handstand?  (Read 10203 times)

Offline Matthew Auster

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • NYPK 4 Life
    • View Profile
Handstand?
« on: August 25, 2006, 02:59:34 PM »
I noticed It on the W.O.D. today, and I was wondering how to learn to do a handstand, because I have never done one in my life.

I tried practicing against a wall, and that worked for a while, but how do i keep myself from flipping too far foward and falling on my head/back?
  NYPK 4 LIFE

Offline Strydzz

• Patas
    • View Profile
Re: Handstand?
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2006, 03:22:25 PM »
I work at a gymnastics gym teaching kids gymnastics. The way we teach them is we get them to a wall, and then we have them get on all fours with their butts toward the wall. We then have them put their feet on the wall and walk up the wall with their feet and walk with their hands towards the wall. That means you will have your face looking at the wall. If you can't hold yourself up yet, just go up as far as you can and slowly work up to being into a full handstand position. Once you are in the handstand position, you will want to look behind you with your head, but if that throws you off balance you can look out away fro mthe wall. When you want to get back off of the wall, either walk down with ur feet and walk forward with your hands, or if you know how to, do a forward roll down. After you get the feel of how it feels to be in the handstand position, you can start moving away from the wall little by little.You can then use the wall just to keep balance when u fall over. Other than that it is just practice practice practice!! You should also do some strength training, this will make it much easier to do a handstand. Focus a lot on your core, because you need to keep your core particularly tight when doing handstands. There is one more tip to make it easier is to exicute the handstand properly. Many people who have not learned how to do a handstand with gymnastics training make the mistake of powering the handstand. This means they do not lock out their elbows and shoulders. It will be much easier to lock them out, becasue it takes less strength to do the handstand and is better technique to do so! Good luck, and train hard!
I live in the now, tomorrow does't exist to me. I live to die happy.

Offline Matthew Auster

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • NYPK 4 Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2006, 06:59:39 PM »
thanks alot! I have the adequate strength to do the handstand, and I am doing strength training.  I will try that.  is there a special way to be able to boost up enough to get into the handstand position and not overshoot it or is it just practice? thanks.
  NYPK 4 LIFE

Offline Strydzz

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2006, 09:17:38 PM »
It is relly just trial and error with overshooting and going over. But with consistant training, you wilol be suprised how fast it comes. Just stick with it, and if you have any more questions, let me know!! Good Luck!
I live in the now, tomorrow does't exist to me. I live to die happy.

Offline Bubblemaker

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2006, 02:36:36 AM »
There's also a great tutorial on www.beastskills.com, along with some other great handstand skills like the chair handstand :). Have fun! It might take a few months to really master the handstand.

Offline soar

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2006, 11:06:45 AM »
Strydzz's suggestions and the Beast Skills tutorials are a great place to start.  Something I'd suggest, and this differs from the recommendation from Beast Skills, is that if you want to develop stationary handstands (such as doing a handstand on the edge of a wall/drop), DON'T allow yourself to "walk" to keep your balance.  It'll take a bit longer to get your handstand, but when it comes it'll be really solid.  Most people I've known who've learned handstands allowing themselves to "walk" find it really really tough to break that habit to get stationary ones.  Anecdotally, it seems likes it's faster to do stationary first then learn to walk with intention, but your mileage may vary.

Offline Matthew Auster

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • NYPK 4 Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2006, 07:20:18 PM »
ive just been essentially winging it, and practicing until I get it (stationary) but i'm gonna start using the walls and maybe some tutorials.  However I have gotten alot better, I can get up for a tiny bit lol
  NYPK 4 LIFE

dak

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2006, 01:30:04 PM »
i learned a headstand first, then after finding my center of gravity just gradually learned a handstand, haha i did one on the ledge on top of the historicle builiding about 45 feet high and pplz was like ***wow***

Offline FreeStyleFox

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2006, 02:55:13 PM »
my elbows don't lock  :(
"If you cannot be a poet, be the poem."  David Carradine
May the flow be with you.  ~~FreeStyleFox

"A title and a few perks dont mean much. It takes nothing but a little thought and time to get your point across in a peaceful manner."

Offline whiteninja

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2006, 06:03:27 PM »
Same here... I need to do more pushups to be able to extend my arms better... 

My signature here has been helping out alot though.

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2006, 06:53:44 PM »
Same here... I need to do more pushups to be able to extend my arms better... 

My signature here has been helping out alot though.

You guys are doing it wrong then. PRACTICE with straight arms. This is generally a fundamental neurological issue rather than a muscular strength issue. Kick to a handstand against a wall with your arms LOCKED OUT. From there, take it to freestanding and then handstand pushups. The more you do it with bent arms, the harder time you will have unlearning that and learning the correct way to do a handstand.

I've seen this issue probably hundreds of times with new people trying to learn handstands mostly in Gymkana. If you learn it wrong, then you do it wrong. If you keep doing it wrong, the harder it is to learn it right. It's just like any technique in gymnastics or Parkour... hard to get out of bad habits. Don't let it become one.
Posts NOT medical, training or nutrition advice
Site // Overcoming Gravity Book

Gearsighted

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2006, 08:13:04 PM »
I would say that the same goes for hollow position in the handstand..where you assume a perfectly straight body in the midst of the position. I learned and trained them for a long time in the old-style with a slightly bent spine and my head tilted back to see the ground. When I finally got around to training them hollow, I had absolutely no idea where my body was in relation to this neutral position. It was ridiculous. Definitely strive to make the most of your training composed of proper form. It really pays off in the end!

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2006, 09:53:31 PM »
What Jesse said too.

The important thing on working towards a hollow handstand is to keep your core tight and to actively stretch your shoulders. You MUST push out your shoulders while in a handstand so that they are by your ears; do NOT let them unshrug. The best way to learn a GOOD handstand is to do the walk up the wall method with your front facing the wall. Get your hands as close to the wall as possible (preferably within 2-3 inches of your palms) and ONLY let your toes touch the wall. Then push off very, very slightly with your toes and balance. If you push off too much you just forward roll out. This will help develop the perfectly straight handstand which is excellent for a lot of gymnastics type movements.

Offline FreeStyleFox

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2006, 12:14:32 PM »
They don't lock tho lolz.  You should have seen the look on the face of my physical tharpist when I got treatment for my back.  :-\
"If you cannot be a poet, be the poem."  David Carradine
May the flow be with you.  ~~FreeStyleFox

"A title and a few perks dont mean much. It takes nothing but a little thought and time to get your point across in a peaceful manner."

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2006, 01:10:10 PM »
They don't lock tho lolz.  You should have seen the look on the face of my physical tharpist when I got treatment for my back.  :-\

Stretch the joint then; it will hurt but it will also give you more flexibility in it. I know mine are getting a bit more flexible from the stress of maltese and other straight arm work on rings.

Offline whiteninja

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2006, 04:51:29 PM »
I've recently been doing some good handstand work... However, when I'm against the wall, I REALLY do not want to take my toes off of it. I'm sort of unsure of exactly what to do when you fall away from the wall. My guess that slamming flat on the floor is not a good idea, and rolling would be best (assuming you are in the position with your chest to the wall), yet I'm not sure how to position my head to stop me from accidentally rolling right over on my neck/spine.

Suggestion?

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2006, 09:13:21 PM »
Get up in a handstand against the wall... front facing the wall.. and then bend your arms, tuck your head and do a roll out. That is all that happens. Now, when you have your toes on the wall, just push off a little bit and see how long you can balance it. If it's not much that's ok. Keep working on it. If you go over then you can roll out. Otherwise just keep pushing off a little more until you can hold it. This also has the added benefit of doing "multiple" reps in a row which means good endurance for the shoulders. Then start working kick up to handstands without the wall.

Offline Zeus

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Dont listen to Sat....Think with your balls
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2007, 02:48:26 PM »
I have the problem that the only place that I can work on these consistently has a concrete floor thus making rolling a possible but extremly painful option. Any Ideas?

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2007, 07:56:27 PM »
Go outside and do it on grass... or get a few cushions/pillows/blankets you can roll on.

Offline Bubblemaker

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2007, 09:16:41 AM »
Il always practiced them on concrete. I used to automatically pirouette out of my handstands when falling over. Now whenever I tend to fall over I just walk forward on my hands. I never liked practicing them on grass because it kills my wrists.