Author Topic: How Do You Train?  (Read 2272 times)

Offline NewToParkour/Freerunning

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
How Do You Train?
« on: December 20, 2009, 07:55:03 AM »
I wanna know how you guys train yourself both physicly and mentaly and how and where.I normaly train in downtown savannah and in the woods around my house
I don't have any idea what I'm doing, but I do it anyway.

Offline Alexz

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
Re: How Do You Train?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2009, 08:56:50 AM »
I wanna know how you guys train yourself both physicly and mentaly and how and where.I normaly train in downtown savannah and in the woods around my house

Physically I do tons of bodyweight excersises, I usually do the following...

L sits / V sits
Planche pushups
Holding handstands / handstand pushups
Pullups / Pushups / Chinups / Muscle ups

And alot more, but bodyweight excersises are great for parkour training!

And If I want to train myself mentally, meditation is the way to go.

Offline Cheshire Parkour

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2009, 09:42:30 AM »
I usually just stop wherever, and train. I usually train though at my highschool and around the center of my town. Mentally, I just psyche myself up by going to the gym (gymnastics) and training moves there, and then i translate it to the outside. Also, i listen to music, and meditate, as said before
In memory of Andrew. Rest in peace, fellow traceur.

Break, away from everybody. Break, away from everything. If you can't stand the way this place is, take yourself to higher places. - threedaysgrace

Offline Matthew McDanel

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2009, 09:48:44 AM »
physically. since I just started.

for Conditioning

mostly Push ups, Pull ups, squats, and I jog most days as well. (working on building a more balanced routine)

when i train. there's a couple good spots where I am. Mostly downtown York PA though.

Theirs a park with a few railings picnic tables and a wall that's about. waist high....it works pretty well.

Offline Sam Chin

• Patas
  • Me Gangsta Walkin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2009, 11:29:23 AM »
dude, are you from Georgia? I'm going on a jazz band trip to Savannah Georgia! (around spring break)
started Parkour at DEC 13, 2009

Offline J Kyle Smith

• Mangabey
  • The pakour scientist!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2009, 01:00:15 PM »
I train physically every night, and I parkour by myself or with two others in my training group. Mentally I'm still working on, I have been having constant struggles with my old and new mentality, and I think my old mentality is winning. Which I do not want to win....

I need help on the mental training.

But my physical training is as follows (alternation every day)-

Workout #1
APK Warm up, but usually double the exercise.

Workout #2
25 push ups
30 crunches
2 minute leg ups
5 minute wall sits
5 minute jogging in place
2 minute leg ups
30 crunches
25 push ups
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 01:07:41 PM by haloshade2 »

Offline Grayson

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2009, 01:01:22 PM »
Physically I do tons of bodyweight excersises, I usually do the following...

L sits / V sits
Planche pushups
Holding handstands / handstand pushups
Pullups / Pushups / Chinups / Muscle ups

And alot more, but bodyweight excersises are great for parkour training!

And If I want to train myself mentally, meditation is the way to go.
Alex you can hold planche!?
I eat a lot of food.

Offline Josh

• Patas
  • CHIEFTAIN PK/ Movement 101
    • View Profile
    • Chieftain PK
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2009, 01:01:38 PM »
I stretch every morning and after classes (when I go for my run; 5K) I always include some certain techniques while running to my different classes across campus. I do a lot of QM in between as well.
"Repetition of the simple is NOT a waste of time. Practice of the advanced without the perfection of the simple IS a waste of time." ~ Rick Henry

"Train in what you usually wear. Zombies won't wait for you to change out of your jeans."~ Patrick Yang

Offline Matthew McDanel

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2009, 01:03:53 PM »
I train physically every night, and I parkour by myself or with two others in my training group. Mentally I'm still working on, I have been having constant struggles with my old and new mentality, and I think my old mentality is winning. Which I do not want to win....

I need help on the mental training.

Its really tough- Im quitting smokeing at the same time- Just keep with it- one day at at time. if you look in the fitness forum though there is information on meditation.

EDIT: http://www.americanparkour.com/smf/index.php/topic,8629.0.html here you go- maybe this might help with the mental aspect?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 01:14:37 PM by Matthew McDanel »

Offline Cody Bolen

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2009, 02:48:00 PM »
For my workout I start by running a mile on the nature trail at my local park, I've developed a punishment system with all my work-outs, with this one if I don't get my mile in under 5:30, I force myself to run another half mile in under 3:00.
Next I normally do some QM, ground kongs, left to right, right to left, right side scoot, left side scoot, praying monkeys.
If It's a conditioning day-
          50 pushups
          100 Sit-Ups
          3 reps of 5 min. Wall sits
          1 min. of box jumps
          10 hanstand presses
          25 Climb-Ups
          5 muscle-Ups
          5 min. of long jumps
          20 Pull-Ups (both ways)
          20 Dips
          5 mins. of Dynos
If it's a parkour training day-
         Start of with stretching and basics, then just do whatever I feel like be it striding, vaulting, wall climbing, fliping, or a combination of all of the above =)

I do parkour days 3-5 days out of the week and conditioning on Monday and Thursday. Normally train about 23 hours a week. 3 hours after every school day, and about 8 hours each sat. at the gym or at a jam.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2009, 02:50:59 PM by Cody "Simian" Bolen »

Offline Ben Moore

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2009, 06:35:58 PM »
I'm new to the sport so I might not have good advice but this is what I've been doing.  Mentally I stare and plan out what move I want to do over what obstacle.  Then I think through the movements I want to make.  Then I try it over and over until I can do it both mentally and physically.  Physical training I do push ups and sit ups and try pull ups which I can only do 5.  I live in Pocatello ID (no urban environment) so not the best place for parkour.  I usually just go to my highschool and places around there. 

Offline Xiras

• Patas
  • rainbow dash
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2009, 06:35:14 AM »
before i broke my wrist i trained at a MMA gym nearby. really awesome place with legit teachers not douchebags conning people out of their money. the only training i didnt do their was weights because i dont want to bulk up but tone out is all. i cant wait to go back either
MyLittleBrony

Offline NewToParkour/Freerunning

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2009, 11:53:42 AM »
To Sam Chin: No I'm not from Georgia but I do go there most weekends and train around downtown and on river street.
I don't have any idea what I'm doing, but I do it anyway.

Offline David Johnson

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2009, 10:39:00 PM »
I condition every other night, cardio 3 times a week.
I don't practice movements with any set schedule though, I just stop and do it whenever I want.

your mother

Offline Jesse Wharton

• will behave
  • Patas
    • View Profile
    • Click here
« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2009, 02:09:43 AM »
PLAYGROUNDS! ;D

Offline J Kyle Smith

• Mangabey
  • The pakour scientist!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 24, 2009, 08:08:27 AM »
Its really tough- Im quitting smokeing at the same time- Just keep with it- one day at at time. if you look in the fitness forum though there is information on meditation.

EDIT: http://www.americanparkour.com/smf/index.php/topic,8629.0.html here you go- maybe this might help with the mental aspect?
Thanks, it is hard fighting old mental habits that's for sure. I have actually tried meditation before, and did it for about a week or two, then I just got too caught up in the distractions around me I forgot to do it. I'm going to make this part of my new years resolution to meditate more.