Author Topic: How can i avoid becoming TO mucscular and good for free running?  (Read 5936 times)

Offline Nick Smith

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Positively Inclined
    • View Profile
    • My Vids.
How can i avoid becoming TO mucscular and good for free running?
« on: December 13, 2009, 03:28:28 PM »
please could someone give me some tips on how not to become TO mucular and be in good shape to freerun because i want to be fast, flexable and strong
My Youtube Channel
check it out!

Offline Jake Vigil

• Epically Awesome
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Be the Change you wish to see in the world
    • View Profile
Re: How can i avoid becoming TO mucscular and good for free running?
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2009, 03:30:53 PM »
By TOO muscular, I presume you mean BULKY?

You wont. It doesn't happen on accident, you have to work hard for it.
Life is what you make of it.
Training Log

Offline Nick Smith

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Positively Inclined
    • View Profile
    • My Vids.
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2009, 03:32:12 PM »
ok thanks ;D
My Youtube Channel
check it out!

Offline Aaron Hrinda

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2009, 05:43:15 PM »
I asked the Hulk about this.
he said: "Hulk think no such thing as too muscular. You should see Hulk's Kong. Is off the hook."

/sagenod
"être fort pour être utile"
                           -Georges Hébert 
  ▲
▲ ▲

Offline David Johnson

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2009, 07:34:36 PM »
In the latest hulk movie, he actually did a dash vault near the end.

your mother

Offline Steve Low

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Eat, Move, Improve
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2009, 09:03:05 PM »
If you don't want mass don't eat for it.
Posts NOT medical, training or nutrition advice
Site // Overcoming Gravity Book

Offline Chris [.5gibbon] Stevenson!

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2009, 10:48:26 AM »
haha don't take steroids and eat like an ox.  otherwise you will NEVER get too big... unless its fat
"Be like water making its way through cracks.  Do not be assertive,  but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it." - Bruce Lee

"There are few things graven in stone, except that you have to squat or you're a pussy." -Mark Rippetoe

Offline Faithkeeper

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2009, 10:56:07 PM »
Some body types are predisposed to be big and bulky (muscular) ... like mine. In my early-mid teenage years I rarely exercised unless I was in a sport, didn't eat healthy or high protein anything (... maybe high carb, just because I'm a sucker for bread and sweets) and spent under 20 hrs in a gym over that ~4 year period, but I have a lot of muscle bulk. I'm not as strong as people suppose (from what I've read, muscle size and strength don't correlate as much as people assume), I just have a lot of bulk for some reason. I guess I ate a lot, but not any more than my thinner friends.

So far it hasn't "gotten in the way" that I can tell, but I haven't done all that much yet either. This isn't really contributing to the conversation any, but when the topic kind of came up, I was very curious if anyone knows anything about this and at what point bulk "gets in the way." The only scenarios that bulk specifically (not weight in general) would matter is with bars and such... but I'm not exactly educated well in this subject, so corrections and additions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time, have a good one.
Jesus saves.

I have no special gift, I am just passionately curious.
-Albert Einstein

Offline Alexz

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2009, 02:55:07 PM »
(from what I've read, muscle size and strength don't correlate as much as people assume),

Just look at Bruce Lee!

Offline FastGuppy

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2009, 03:12:09 PM »
strength or force? Bigger muscles work usually work more effectivly. Just not when it comes to your own body weight.
"obsession is a great replacement for talent" -Steve Martin

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2009, 04:00:49 PM »
strength or force? Bigger muscles work usually work more effectivly. Just not when it comes to your own body weight.

Bigger muscles are able move a bigger body more efficiently...

Offline Andy Animus Tran

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The Invisible Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2009, 04:32:35 PM »

You should probably tell that to a gymnast.
Andy Tran, C.S.C.S.
Lead Parkour Instructor
Urban Evolution
Parkour Virginia

Offline Schuman

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 30, 2009, 09:07:07 PM »
Yea, look at Tim Shieff. He's a big guy, but the man can move.
Focus, Intensity, Tempo,

Offline FastGuppy

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2009, 11:38:23 AM »
So why not just become huge? Bigger muscles (more mass) weigh more. So then why are all the gymnasts light as hell? They are strong for sure, they look ripped as hell but that's because they're so lean am I right?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2009, 11:41:18 AM by FastGuppy »
"obsession is a great replacement for talent" -Steve Martin

Offline Grayson

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2009, 12:33:28 PM »
So why not just become huge? Bigger muscles (more mass) weigh more. So then why are all the gymnasts light as hell? They are strong for sure, they look ripped as hell but that's because they're so lean am I right?
IMO Because there's no reason too, why would you become huge when your at the mass you need to be at.

Also being heavier puts more strain on joints.
I eat a lot of food.

Offline Andy Animus Tran

• Hirundo Rustica
  • The Invisible Man
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2009, 04:45:37 PM »

They are extremely lean.  They're also rather hypertrophic.  For their height, they're normally extremely muscular.

The reasont o not become huge is manifold..  Part of it is that most people don't know how to train in a way that increasing size is also going to increase strength, speed, and power.  It's too complicated for the lay person.  Another part is that the heavier you are in Parkour, the more likely you're going to injure your joints because of the battering we take regularly.  And another part is that there does come a point where getting too big is going to be disadvantageous.

But here's the thing... Most traceurs are scrawny as f#ck.  Most can stand to pack on a few pounds to increase their performance without any deleterious effects on their joint integrity. When to stop.. well, that's up to them and their joints and genetics.
Andy Tran, C.S.C.S.
Lead Parkour Instructor
Urban Evolution
Parkour Virginia

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2009, 07:08:51 PM »
As a matter of my opinion, proper strength training makes you put on an ideal amount of muscle mass.  This amount of muscle mass is necessary to be optimally strong, powerful and graceful.  However, most people train for the mass itself, which does not allow for the same level of strength.

Focusing on strength training while in a caloric surplus puts on the exact right amount of mass for as strong as you are looking to become...this amount of mass just happens to make you look bigger than your average joe.

Offline /shane/

• Mangabey
  • Parkour is......
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2009, 08:36:52 PM »
And as faithkeeper mentioned, this is more likely to happen with some body types. No matter how hard I excercise trying to lose that little extra fat, (Not that I'm fat, I'm just trying to reach the total Leaness I've seen in many other traceurs.) I just build more muscle. And I don't eat half as much as my friend, and he's way skinny. And yeah I am focusing on cardiovascular workouts. Some people just stay skinny and tone easier when they excercise,(Endomorphs.) and some aren't as lean, but gain muscle easier.(Mesomorphs.)
A state of mind when you are performing a physical movement that is neither too simple or too complex. Your focus rules out all other mental processes, your mind has no time for words, worries, or distractions. There is only timing, spatial awareness, and the feeling of satisfaction as you land

Offline Chris Salvato

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Eat. Move. Improve.
    • View Profile
    • Chris Salvato
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2009, 10:29:08 PM »
And as faithkeeper mentioned, this is more likely to happen with some body types. No matter how hard I excercise trying to lose that little extra fat, (Not that I'm fat, I'm just trying to reach the total Leaness I've seen in many other traceurs.) I just build more muscle. And I don't eat half as much as my friend, and he's way skinny. And yeah I am focusing on cardiovascular workouts. Some people just stay skinny and tone easier when they excercise,(Endomorphs.) and some aren't as lean, but gain muscle easier.(Mesomorphs.)

Endomorphs are those who are big, easy gainers.  Ectomorphs are skinny, lean hard gainers.  Mesomorphs are easy, lean gainers.

Offline Rafe

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Natural Athletics
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2010, 06:01:39 PM »
Increased muscular size changes insertion point angles and actually stablizes joints, you hit the ground harder but your better able to absorb it and you can run faster jumper higher and climb more powerfully. Virtually all athletes outside extreme endurance events are much more heavily muscled then the generally population. Furthermore you have to understand most body builders you see in magazines are on steroids it is almost impossible for the body to become so muscular that actual impedes movement ability without using anabolics. The only possible exceptions to this are very tall athletes and those on the far end of endo meso side of the physical spectrum.

Lets do some simple data analysis about ideal muscular bodyweight, Let look at a representive sample of top gymnasts, sprinters. What I did here is took the height and weight and calculated the BMI for the last 3 olympic champions, then the last 4 world champions then runner ups at the last olympics and world championships untill I reached a sample of ten.

Kohei Uchimuru 5^3 119 21
Daniel Keating 5^8 145 22
Yang Wei 5^3 120  BMI 21
Benoit Caranobe 5^5 130 21.6
Fabian Humbuchen 5^5 140 23.3
Hiroyuki Tomita 5^5 137 22.8
Paul Hamm 5^5 137 22.1
Nikolai Kryukov  5^4 130 22
Alexei Nemov 5^8 157 23.9
Li Xaoshung 5^2 120 21.9
Average height 5^4.8
Average Weight 131 pounds
Average BMI 22.16

First thing to notice gymnasts are small but they are not light by the BMI standard the are on the heavy side of the normal weight distribution, this despite the fact gymnasts are selected for very light bone structures and extremely low body fat together with sprinters the have lowest bodyfat of any athletes. Their bodyfat is so low they have been shown to have developmental problems because of it. What would that level of muscle mass look like on average height athlete with normal body fat and a regular frame?

Assume our average athlete is 5^10 he would weigh 155 at 6 percent body fat add 10 more pounds of body fat to get him to 12 percent normal bodyfat thats 165, now move account for frame size. This is difficult to do I have seen little study of differences in bone mass and how they effect weight this Calculator]http://www.healthcentral.com/diet-exercise/ideal-body-weight-3146-143.html?2,5,2,135,3]Calculator seems to indicate this is about a 10 pound difference in weight between a light frame and normal frame. So a regular medium framed athlete at 5^10 with 12% bodyfat needs to be about 175 to carry the same relative muscle mass as an elite gymnast very approximately. This = a BMI of 25.1 or technically overweight by BMI standards and much more muscular then the average traceur. For a nice comparison most of you are familar with my buisness partner tyson at 5^9 he weight 163 at between 6-8 percent BF.

Lets look at sprinters
Usain Bolt 6^5 210 24.9
Tyson Gay 5^11 165 23.1
Asafa Powell 6^3 193 24.1
Richard Thompson 6^2 176 22.6
Walter Dix 5^9 190 28.1
Justin Gatlin 6^1 183 24.1
Francis Obikwelu 6^4 198 24.1
Maurice Greene 5^9 175 25.8
Donovan Bailey 6^1 192 24
Linford Christie 6^2 207 26.6

Average height 6^1
Average weight 188
Avg BMI: 24.8

Sprinters are on the verge of being overweight by BMI standards heavier then gymnasts. To attain the muscularity of the average elite sprinter if we go through the same calculations our 12 percent BF 5^10 medium frame athlete needs to weigh 193 pounds.

We could look at Oly lifters, decatheletes, Rugby players, even soccer players elite athletes are heavily muscled in every discipline outside extreme endurance events. Roughly looking at these numbers it looks to me like if your 5^10 aim to gain enough muscle to weight 175-200 lean add or subtract 5 pounds per inch approximately.
I shall not fear, fear is the mind killer the little death that precedes total obliteration

I will face my fear, I will let it pass over and through me and were it is gone, I will turn the inner eye and see its path, and only I will remain.