Author Topic: Welcome Quatrogenarians!  (Read 38522 times)

Offline Phytolith

• Mangabey
  • Phytolith
    • View Profile
    • APK Alliance Blog
Re: Welcome Quatrogenarians!
« Reply #40 on: December 04, 2009, 11:03:34 AM »
Hi everybody-

Just turned 30, so I feel I can join this esteemed crowd!  I've been training for a while, but have taken a short break to finish my dissertation, and am now looking forward to being back and feisty.  Look forward to interacting with you all!

-Amanda

Offline FrostySTL

• Mangabey
  • Not related to Frosti in any way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2010, 07:11:11 PM »
Hey all! Well, I'm 47, so yep, I can post here!  ;D

I am one of the rare ones here that really has very little experience at being active all through my life. You see, waaaay back in the late 70's, I got into computer programming. Talk about an inactive job! It got worse, as back then, computers wern't as "cool" as they are now, LOL, so the only people who had them were us geeks. So ALL my friends were also guys who would rather stay inside and play video games instead of going outside. However, I seemed to always want to be outside, (I think being a boy scout and camping helped fuel that) so I started going into my back yard and climbing the tree. I spent an inordinate amount of time climbing around in that thing. My dad tried to get my into sports, but I just despised them! They were soooo boring.

So, fast forward to last year. (Dec 2009) I have tried many times to work out, and improve myself, and have never been able to stick with it. I am what bodybuilders call an Ectomorph, meaning I'm 5'9, and only weigh 150 lbs, but can eat the planet. It's also very frustrating to gain muscle. So, in Dec, I finally said enough is enough, and have actually been eating better, working out, and sticking with it. Now, arrive at last week... I'm goofing off on the computer watching old 80's artists on YouTube, (I know, I know... but I like new music too, honest!) When I came across the video for 'Jump' by Madonna. Now, I had seen Parkour/Freerunning before, but had never known what it was called. It had always intrigued me, but I never paid a lot of attention to it for some reason. This time, however, it was like the last piece of a puzzle just snapped into place! But, I still didn't know what it was called!!! It took about 3 hours of randomly typing in things like "jumping off stuff" in google before I finally came across the word Parkour. This was roughly at about 10 pm. I was up until 2:30 am watching videos, mesmerized, before I fianally had to force myself to go to bed.  ;D The mext morning I signed up with MissouriParkour, which led me here.

I am lucky, in that my body has not been beat up, and I'm still fairly limber, but I know I have a long way to go. I really am young at heart, and my friends all think I'm still a kid. I go camping, I go off-roading, I'm a scuba diver, etc. I know I will probably never be able to do half the things the teenagers I will be running with do, but that is just fine. I will still be able to do 1000 times more than almost everyone else my age!

And I don't care that other people will look at me funny when I'm doing this. If they can't see it for what it is, then that is their loss!

"Pick yourself up, dust yourself off, start all over again..."

APK Roof Police Member

Offline Muhammad

• Hirundo Rustica
  • London, UK
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 14, 2010, 11:37:19 PM »
That's a great attitude Frosty. With time, patience, and plenty of regular training, you will be able to do 1000 times more than almost everyone in your age group. I say, never stop moving until your time is up! I was over in the UK a couple of months ago, and most of the people I met at the training sessions there seemed to be in their 30's, and some were in their 40's. I was surprised to say the least.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 11:40:39 PM by Muhammad »

Offline Kim Martin

• Patas
  • More to see, More to do.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2010, 04:35:50 AM »
35 year old here and when I learned about Parkour I immediately when "That's the crazy stuff I did when I was a kid! they have a name for it now?" XD It was not unusual to see me on top of a building whether it be my own home, a school roof retrieving all sorts of cool stuff that got up there. Now I'm older a bit pudgy around the middle and I think it's a great idea to get back into what I seemed to know instinctively. Oh don't fret I'm being smart and starting from scratch I found a gym that teaches intro Parkour.

Offline Timothy Chen Allen

• Patas
  • "The limits are further out than you think"
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2010, 07:49:54 PM »
Now I'm older a bit pudgy around the middle and I think it's a great idea to get back into what I seemed to know instinctively.

The human body is amazingly adaptable. There's nothing I love better than to hear one of us older types (I'm 46) working to break down peoples' concepts of what we're capable of.  Good luck!
Timothy Chen Allen
"The limits are further out than you think"
Washington, DC
Facebook:TimothyChenAllen
My training log
President's Challenge Parkour Group

Offline Rilkedogg

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2011, 05:52:15 AM »
OK. So I am back and it has been a journey. Knee surgery, back injury and weight gain. Also felt that I really had no place in PK. I am now coming up on 50. My goal: to be more healthy than I have ever been. I want to have fun. Maybe no 10 ft. gap jumps at 20 feet. Possibly a 3 footer at 10:)

Offline Timothy Chen Allen

• Patas
  • "The limits are further out than you think"
    • View Profile
    • My blog
« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2011, 06:29:26 PM »
OK. So I am back and it has been a journey. Knee surgery, back injury and weight gain. Also felt that I really had no place in PK. I am now coming up on 50. My goal: to be more healthy than I have ever been. I want to have fun. Maybe no 10 ft. gap jumps at 20 feet. Possibly a 3 footer at 10:)
You absolutely have a place in parkour.  I do too; I'm 46 and have some knee issues.  It will mean something different to us than it does to the 19 year olds you see doing 10 foot drops.  It *is* about fun. And you and I have the wisdom to know what will be fun and what will be needlessly injurious.

By the way, the height up that you do a jump means nothing.  I've seen some really impressive jumps between two boards laying on the ground-- a height up about two inches.  The height of a jump is for show.
Timothy Chen Allen
"The limits are further out than you think"
Washington, DC
Facebook:TimothyChenAllen
My training log
President's Challenge Parkour Group

Offline Rilkedogg

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2011, 12:31:19 PM »
You are so right. That was how I injured the knee to begin with. Wall jump gone waaaaay bad. I just love the way I feel doing this. It's not the big runs so much, it's the focus on training and getting better. Of course, Motrin does not hurt either 8) 8)

Offline Tim Messenger

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • I have reckless leg syndrome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 15, 2011, 09:43:36 AM »
Hi everyone! 

I just started my Parkour training two weeks ago.  I'm a few years into my 30's and I'm glad to see this section on the forum!  I spent a lot of time in my late teens and early twenties doing some similar activites (urban exploring and urban rappelling).  I wish there would have been PK schools around then.   I'm having a great time in class but it's maded me realize how out of shape I have become!
"Sometimes, two small jumps can be better than one big leap."   inside a fortune cookie

Offline FrostySTL

• Mangabey
  • Not related to Frosti in any way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 16, 2011, 04:48:31 AM »
Welcome Red!

It's very easy to get out of shape as we get older. Good job on working to reverse that!

It helps that you were active before. I wasn't, and it's quite an uphill battle for me. Just make sure you take it slow! If you rush it and get injured, it will set you back a lot more than it did when you were 20.

I'm also jealous, we don't have PK schools in my area. :P
"Pick yourself up, dust yourself off, start all over again..."

APK Roof Police Member

SpinmanADK

« Reply #50 on: April 18, 2011, 01:40:40 PM »
Hello Everybody,
      I dabbled in Parkour for about three weeks in 2009, but have come back again starting this spring, and I have to say I'm having a ton of fun.  There's a lot of satisfaction to be had in watching your wife shake your head at you as you pull off a new move in the front yard in full view of your nice, albeit stodgy, neighbors.

Anyway, this forum for experience-rich adults is a welcome place for a 35 year old like me - what a great idea!  Certainly as we age there are physical considerations to ponder, but the thing that has surprised me the most is how quickly I let myself age mentally because I didn't remain vigilent.  Breaking through fear barriers and exercising creativity is a necessary part of parkour, and by doing so I feel like I've been able to reduce my mental age, or perhaps even my perception of my own age.  I've also found it satisfying to be able to differntiate myself physically from others my age because I feel it sets a good example for my kids.  I hope it will show them how important it is to stay active throughout their lives, and how sometimes it's good to still be a kid at heart even when others may look down on it.   

As a young buck I used to do all sorts of crazy stuff - rock climbing without a rope, ridiculously long and strenuous day hikes, taunting various unsavory characters for the purposes of starting a foot chase.   Now I'm finding that my increased wisdom is yielding greater benefits in terms of training and preparation (among other things).  Couple that with the fact that my body is fortunately more capable than I anticipated at age 35, and I think I've got a recipe for a level of improvement I may not have been able to attain at age 25.  Understanding and utilizing progression effectively has been very beneficial both in skill improvement and in injury prevention for me, and I'm looking forward to continuing it for a long time.  This forum and website has been a great resource - it's just too bad there aren't many traceurs in my area.  Oh, and you should see the looks I get when I try to recruit my age-comparable friends to do Parkour.  Absolutely priceless!  Thanks all!

-SpinmanADK 

Offline Eric D

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 28, 2014, 11:40:02 AM »
Hey Mark, my name is Eric, I'm 40, a golfer and w a my to get into Parkour for physical fitness to improve my game. Is there anyone in the Bardstown/Louisville Kentucky area I can go to?