Author Topic: Hand stands  (Read 2230 times)

Offline Peter Steinke

• Patas
    • View Profile
Hand stands
« on: December 03, 2009, 06:58:31 PM »
Hey everyone, first post and i was just wondering what i could do to get over my insane fear of hand stands. i am able to hold one if theres a wall and i start backwards. but i cant go into one forwards/with ought a wall. i don't know why but i am absolutely terrified of it. any suggestions?
thanks guys

Offline Jake Vigil

• Epically Awesome
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Be the Change you wish to see in the world
    • View Profile
Re: Hand stands
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 07:07:34 PM »
Start on the wall. Face the wall while you are in the handstand, get up into the handstand and put your hands about 4 inches away from the wall. Tighten up your body so that only your toes touch the wall. This way you can develop good form. Just hold like this for as long as you can, work your way up to a minute or so. By then you should feel comfortable to start trying it freestanding. Handstands are one of those skills that just take a LOOONNNNGGG time to get well.
Life is what you make of it.
Training Log

Offline Peter Steinke

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 07:10:18 PM »
thanks... ill for sure take my time with it, haha

Offline Schuman

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 07:24:42 PM »
there are like 3 handstand topic in the tricking section.
and
http://www.beastskills.com/Handstand.htm
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 07:27:57 PM by Schuman »
Focus, Intensity, Tempo,

Offline Brian Rowe

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2009, 10:39:07 PM »
Try it on pads. If none are available, pull out a matress or a huge wad of blankets to cushion your falls.

Offline Jesse Wharton

• will behave
  • Patas
    • View Profile
    • Click here
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2009, 12:34:28 PM »
I like the blanket thing its pretty cool when its fun to fall, dont wanna do it on purpose though.

Offline Cody Goodman

• Patas
  • over car under truck, now learn the front tuck!
    • View Profile
    • The Life Of Cody Goodman
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2009, 04:13:50 AM »
Learning how to fall into a bridge from a handstand helped me over that fear. My handstand has improved the most from not moving my hands forward or backward when in the handstand, but moving my hands back and forth, and shifting weight by pushing my shoulders forward.
Running Shoes Review
---------------------------------
Site I made to review all the shoes i've went through!

Offline Jack Kendall

• Patas
    • View Profile
    • My PK blog
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2009, 01:04:02 PM »
Personally, I think the easiest way to fall out of a handstand is simply to roll out. If you feel like you're going to fall forward, just tuck your head, lower the back of your neck to the ground, and roll. It's not as awkward as falling into a bridge, and it doesn't require as much flexibility.

Offline Dan Frank

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Formless, shapeless, like water.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2009, 04:24:21 PM »
Personally, I think the easiest way to fall out of a handstand is simply to roll out. If you feel like you're going to fall forward, just tuck your head, lower the back of your neck to the ground, and roll. It's not as awkward as falling into a bridge, and it doesn't require as much flexibility.

Falling into a bridge and rolling out are easier than doing a pirouette out, but they're both quite shocking and sometimes painful if done on a hard surface. Pirouetting out requires slightly more skill and practice, but once you learn it, there's no reason to ever come out of a handstand in another way.
Dedication is the basis of success in all things. The achievement of one's goals will ensue naturally if one is dedicated.

Offline Cody Goodman

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2009, 03:37:54 AM »
Falling into a bridge and rolling out are easier than doing a pirouette out, but they're both quite shocking and sometimes painful if done on a hard surface. Pirouetting out requires slightly more skill and practice, but once you learn it, there's no reason to ever come out of a handstand in another way.

Pirouette. I never knew what it was until now, but I've actually been doing that ever since I started training handstands back in January. Being able to go from handstand to bridge means i'm flexible? yes! :P

I think they're all a great skill, and I find rolling out of a handstand on harder surfaces a bit nerve racking for some reason.
Running Shoes Review

Offline Jerald Donald Konkel

• Mangabey
  • Land softly and Roll Smoothly
    • View Profile
    • PunKurac Parkour
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2009, 09:52:54 AM »
I've been working on my Headstands...... trying to learn to Handstand. But still can't do it.... It must take a Long time, like Jake said.

I just have to keep Practicing I guess.....

"We're Apes, not monkeys" GPK
"Get off the roof, for your own safety" APK Roof Police

longhillrocker

« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2009, 01:57:34 PM »
handstands are so hard to do well..i have trouble with them a lot..keep practicing

turtlekarma

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2009, 11:11:12 PM »
honestly the way i got over my fear of falling over was by falling over...I didn't do it on purpose, but once I experienced it and realized that the worse that would happen would be a small bruise...it wasn't ever a problem again.

I know it goes counter intuitive, but I'd suggest getting yourself somewhere with a forgiving surface and just go for it and fall.  it's scary but, better then being held in a box by your fears.  good luck man

Offline Jerald Donald Konkel

• Mangabey
  • Land softly and Roll Smoothly
    • View Profile
    • PunKurac Parkour
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2009, 07:27:46 AM »
I actually tried practicing handstands in my room yesterday....  did better than usual, I got maybe 3 seconds...... fell over..... hit my foot against my desk..... limped for a good 5 minutes......

I'm not going to try handstands in my room anymore..... there is just no room..... :D

"We're Apes, not monkeys" GPK
"Get off the roof, for your own safety" APK Roof Police

Offline Nick Stone

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Not Quite Evil.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2009, 06:18:28 PM »
This topic made me go see how I would land naturally from handstands. No matter how I fell, I always landed in a crouch. I actually did a (really crappy) sideflip to land once.

I'm somewhat proud of my self.
And you can quote me on that.

Offline Cody Goodman

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 16, 2009, 04:39:39 AM »
haha nice man! landing in a crouch? Interesting.

The reasoning for learning a handstand to bridge for me though, is so I wouldn't be afraid of shifting more of my weight forward when I was starting to fall backwards. I can also practice going all the way from a handstand to hollow back, to bridge as a result, which is very hard as well.

Other than getting over any little fears you have, nothing short of practicing them will do much good. I also found that I do handstands longer if I practice holding them against the wall for long periods of time.

I held a handstand against the wall for about 4 minutes one day, then later that day tried a freestanding handstand and went about 35 seconds.
Running Shoes Review