Author Topic: New precision technique or just a n00b?  (Read 3661 times)

Offline SCOP3S

• Guenons
    • View Profile
New precision technique or just a n00b?
« on: August 21, 2006, 05:40:12 PM »
Hello fellow apk-ers i have a question on something i've been doing lately that works very well.

I like to pride myself at being good at precision. However, there are many times when i am trying a precision jump which requires me to jump out rather far. In these cases i find myself being pulled off of the object due to my forward momentum.

Enter my new (?) technique. now i only say new because i have not seen it talked about before, maybe someone can tell me im an idiot and just a noob. that would be ok. but anyways, instead of leading with my hands like i often see instructed, i lead with my chest poked out and my arms straight back behind me. when i land i throw my arms forward and it stops my forward momentum fairly well and im able to stick the pin point landing.

id like to hear if anyone else does this or if im an idiot with bad technique to begin with. thanks!

Offline hardcoretraceur

• PRIVATE
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • a coeur vaillant rien d'impossible
    • View Profile
Re: New precision technique or just a n00b?
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2006, 05:59:28 PM »
that doesnt sound like it would do what you say it does. perhaps your concentration on that technique lets your body do what it actually needs to to stop.
keep it free and true

Over
Under       OUTkrew is OUTgoing
Through

Offline Valigon

• Patas
  • Death to those who oppose me
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2006, 08:52:43 AM »
i think what he ment was... instead of throwing your arms forword (would push you farther forword) hes pulling his chest back... cus he said he lands with it out... so if you pull your chest back... your arms would feel like you are throwing them forword and you would stop

Offline SCOP3S

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2006, 05:12:06 PM »
Reguarding pulling my chest back, i did it some more today and really focused on what was disgussed here and i think it's a combination of pulling my chest back and throwing out my arms, i do a little of both.

Offline Jonathan McCarver

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2006, 07:44:20 PM »
thats not a bad idea but keep in mind you wont get you max abilities out.  The "proper" way if there is such a thing is to actually land off balance in just the right proportion so that your forward momentum takes you up to standing.  It may sound a little strange but in fact that is what your body does on its own on flat land.

Try just going for a standing long jump and landing standing up.  AFTERWARD think about the angle of your legs and how far your feet were in front of you once you started to put weight on them. It's actually very similar to blocking but your goal is getting upright rather than getting air.

Of course if this momentum shifting with the arms works well for you keep it up by all means but I think that if you take some time to practice balanced landings you will see that you can get farther jumps going.

Also, MOSt important thing about my method, pay attention to the traction you will have where you land.  I usually land with my heeld off the wall and the bottom of my feet on the corner in order to be sure my momentum doesn't make me slip and fall backwards.

happy jumping,
       King Carnage.
I'm so unorigional

Offline SCOP3S

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2006, 10:46:10 AM »
Alright, thanks guys i just wanted to see what you thought. I've been using both techniques the past week in different situations. I haven't quite found one i favor over the other but for some reason i know which one will work at any particular time.

gl, and ty

Offline Johnny Boy

• Hirundo Rustica
  • DCPK
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2006, 11:30:18 AM »
And don't think that we wouldn't respect your opinion just because you are new to this site.
life is too short, so love the one you got
-Sublime

Offline Argon

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2006, 02:02:44 PM »
Physically speaking, throwing your arms back at just the right moment would add slightly to your forward momentum. The effect would be minor, and I tihnk it could really mess up your momentum if it was timed poorly, but I could see it working.

Incidentally, moving your arms back in front of you to catch the obstacle will subtract from your forward momentum, making the impact somewhat softer. On the other hand, the sudden slight reduction in speed might throw you off just when you need to focus the most.
My promise for the month: three sets of handstand pushups (upto 5 reps now...)

I keep having these dreams that I'm falling.
The strange thing is, when I wake up,
They keep coming true.

Offline Gareth EE Field

• Mangabey
  • Aaayyooo!!!
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #8 on: August 27, 2006, 08:55:58 PM »
pulling funny stuff like that is a cheap fix to a larger problem. the larger problem is that you can't control how you jump, so, to make the distance, you overshoot. why it's a cheap fix is because you're just messing with proper jumping technique and not getting the same amount of power, so at a specific distance your prescisions will work. only at that distance though, so it would be better to just improve your jump. besides, improving your jump will improve your overall 'game', which is better than training prescisions solely because they aren't particuarly useful
PK4LIFE!

Offline mmuir

• Patas
  • Parkour, it's not a sport, but it's a lifestyle
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2006, 03:18:00 PM »
i think that sounds like a fairly good idea but i can't get over that fact that i am goning to get mangled on the rail if i miss or fall... any ideas?
First we crawl,
Once we can crawl, We Walk.
Once we can walk, We Run.
Once we Run, We Flow.

Offline Jackson Miller

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Formerly Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2006, 08:08:33 PM »
Start on the lowest bars you can find and then find some that are 3-4 feet away so you can just step across.  Practice one foot precisions and then build up the courage to do a two foot.