Author Topic: Ilabaca: Choose not to Fall  (Read 12293 times)

Offline Adam McC

• Delicious
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Level 1 Sexability Certified
    • View Profile
    • Lehigh Valley Parkour
Ilabaca: Choose not to Fall
« on: November 28, 2009, 11:21:47 PM »
I don't know if this is been posted yet, but this is AWESOME.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRSOe-rDa9Y

•Lehigh Valley Parkour Community Founder
•Level 1 A.D.A.P.T. Certified
•Urban Current Member

Offline Sean Au

• Patas
    • View Profile
Re: Ilabaca: Choose not to Fall
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 05:11:29 AM »
WTF Adam I told you to watch that video! I'm never gonna tell you anything cool ever again.
 :-Sarcasm

Yeah this is an awesome video, the music makes you think what parkour is and how it affects you.

EDIT: Oops not only the music is good, his words and the editing is awesome as well, it brings out the meaning of the video.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 05:13:08 AM by Sean Au »

Offline NikAs

• Patas
  • Parkour
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 07:04:58 AM »
I want to meet him
Aero parkour
Chicago

Offline Jacob Carter

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 10:02:00 AM »
i think this needs to be put under the must see videos section in the videos. this is a truly inspirational video.
Be responsible with your body. You will have it for all of your life. Make it a strong tool. Like bamboo, give it strength, but flexibility. Like water, give it flow, but power. -Adam McC

Offline Matthew Wang

• Total Awesome
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • July 1st, 2008 - My first day of training
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2009, 12:02:49 PM »
I'm going to try and train like that from now on. With goals in the eyes of the present, instead of fear of pain in the future.

http://www.washingtonparkour.com/
Need something Washington Parkour related?
matt@washingtonparkour.com
washington@americanparkour.com
10 PUSH UPS OR 5 PULL UPS PER POST

Offline Sean Au

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2009, 05:21:14 PM »
I love this video so much I made it into my screensaver!

Offline Daniel Arroyo

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2009, 05:23:19 PM »
It's funny because as amazing as that video was, Danny can show you much much more in person, every time we get together and do a show or train we try and make it a point to change atleast one persons view on life and in the process learn from the very person that we may be inspiring. We all can learn something from everybody.
"The only boundaries you have are the ones that are present with in the constraints of your mind" My quote!

Offline Hayden Williams

• Guenons
    • View Profile
    • Frederick MD Parkour and Freerunning
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2009, 06:01:57 PM »
It's funny because as amazing as that video was, Danny can show you much much more in person, every time we get together and do a show or train we try and make it a point to change atleast one persons view on life and in the process learn from the very person that we may be inspiring. We all can learn something from everybody.

Well it certantly got to me..
Flippie Dang! Bro!
"If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” Bruce Lee

Offline Andre Hurley

• Guenons
  • Team Desert Parkour
    • View Profile
    • Desertparkour
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2009, 06:52:01 AM »
he is a true inspiration to me, i hope some day i will train with him. he sets parkour like it is not showing off but having fun and how it can change lives.

Peace and Love
Andre H.
Parkour: why walk when you can fly?

turtlekarma

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2009, 07:32:15 PM »
thanks for the share adam ;D...great vid, inspired...too bad I gotta study, or else I'd go out an train right now

longhillrocker

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2009, 07:36:30 PM »
very inspiring...he is truly an incredible traceur and i would LOVE to meet and learn/train from him

i love what he says at the end of the video
"If you're afraid to fall, you fall because you are afraid. Everything is chose"
WELL I CHOOSE NOT TO FALL!
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 07:47:01 PM by longhillrocker »

Offline Gabe Arnold

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Proud Founder of S.U.T.S.
    • View Profile
    • Gabe Arnold Fitness
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2009, 08:40:34 PM »
Has anyone been watching the comments section of this video? Aside from the usual trolls and non sequitur remarks, Teghead has been causing a bit of a fuss. At least him and those agreeing or arguing with him. I wouldn't normally bring up something like this but since Teg's pretty highly respected physically for his videos I figured this was worth mentioning.

Some examples...

Teghead - "I'm not commenting on doctrines but on the prevailing attitude that accompanies religion, that has been studied. Psychologists have set up trials and tasks for non religious people and people who rated themselves varying degrees "religious fundamentalists". They found that lack of humour (which is linked to)/and inability to cope with unpredictability.
Have you studied many major religions? The emphasis is adhering to the dogmas & teachings.

This is why I think it opposes individuals etc etc."

- "I'd so love to get back on topic. Like on the fueling of an "us vs society" mindset that causes practitionners to be a nuisance and vandals."

- "I have a lot of problems with what Danny says.
Creativity etc have been stripped away from us? By who, how, when? Speak for yourself; become a sociologist; or don't use words like "through history", don't refer to a national process.
I think free will does not exist. Having said that, of course we make choices, but not everything comes down to our choice, especially when ability is concerned. Just because you're talented, dosn't mean success is a choice for everyone."

- "Parkour is objective in some ways for a majority, in that it involves risks and physical stresses.

Of course what you train and why you do it is up to you, (although influenced by many things out of your control), I love this fact, and I think idolisation and religious thought oppose this.

Even if people train a badly thought out pseudo-sport, I hope they at least train well, don't get injured, and have fun.

I try to be the proportional response of logic vs sounding good."

- "What you need to realise is you're wrong and you're no authority.

What you need to realise is that I'm only conerned with the physical truths that leave you with chronic injuries or make you perform well.

You choose your own bs to frame it in. You can make no objective claims about whether Parkour is an art, but I can make all the objective claims in the world about injury, and it's reasonable to speculate about whether something increases the risk of noobs getting injured."

- "Btw, watch my videos, my lenses are full of creativity and overcoming obstacles.
Remember that creativity dosn't have to mean an aesthetic way of spinning on your bum.
Creativity is best when it's employed to tackle a real problem, not the problem of what would be the coolest way to 'flow' on some bricks."

- "And I'm not suprised you have the mentality you do, because a lot of people that do Parkour are idiots and kids.

Besides, what is the archetypal mentality that people have to subscribe to when they decide they want to do Parkour?
You'll find a range of people.

You'll find we're equally judgemental here. But there's only one person with nothing to say."

I left out responses from other people, you can see them yourself in the comments section. Thoughts?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 08:42:07 PM by Gabe Arnold »

Offline Adam McC

• Delicious
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Level 1 Sexability Certified
    • View Profile
    • Lehigh Valley Parkour
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2009, 10:27:58 PM »
Teg is welcome to his own opinion based on how he interprets logic and reasoning and the metaphysics and epistemology of society in relatively to Parkour. But I think he owes a little bit more of respect to Danny, at least in public mention, for what he's done. I have no problem with Tegs opinions, though I disagree with most of what he's said, I think its great he can think the way he does. But I think a little more compassionate tone is deserving, as Ilabaca is indeed a good guy who's done good things, and is spreading a good message. Logically breaking down little parts of what Danny is trying to say only detracts the truth of what Danny says.

Philosophy, reasoning and logic have yet to prove any truth whatsoever, and so it seems a bad approach to fight Danny's message, that Teg is taking. Its apples to oranges.

Just my say in the matter. Pure opinion.

•Lehigh Valley Parkour Community Founder
•Level 1 A.D.A.P.T. Certified
•Urban Current Member

turtlekarma

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2009, 03:35:21 AM »
dunno about teg's comments...like his flow though.  I look at danny's vid as what it is, simply just a good vid where one guy is talking about his experience with parkour and what it means/has meant to him...it's not a comprehensive look into parkour, or an argument against society.  Personally, I'm not really bothered by opinions different then my own.  There's usually common ground to build off of, sometimes it's just hard to find.  I challenge myself to find that common ground...cause that's what I expect from myself. 

matcauthon12

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2009, 04:40:30 AM »
Teg is welcome to his opinion. You can see in the vid, Danny is a religious guy, he believes in and has a relationship with God. Teg basically says in his comments he is against religion, so I would think that bit of the video got him a little angry. That said, the comment about Danny's flow was out of bounds, it's obvious that the guy has flow no matter what he's training, be it efficiency, creativity, flips, spins, whatever. Teg has a lot of talent, skill, and creativity as well he just chooses to express it in a different way. I don't see why he got on Danny for that difference in training. That being said, everyone has those days where they just want to be argumentative so let's not flame him and hopefully it'll cool off. They're both good guys and should be able to resolve their differences quickly (I hope). Just another obstacle! :)

Offline Chris Seaton

• Mangabey
  • TVD, ESQ.
    • View Profile
    • TV TV Dog
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2009, 01:15:35 PM »
Danny Ilabaca is a new hero of mine for producing and releasing this video. 

I really, really want to get in touch with him for the "philosophy" section of the book I'm writing in my spare time on Parkour and Freerunning.  Maybe someday...*lesigh*. 

Plus with all the man has had to go through in educating the Moreton public over that debacle a while back...wow. 

Bravo, Danny.  Bravo.  I salute you sir.

Posts by Mr. Seaton should be interpreted as simply for either informational purposes or his own pure amusement, and are never to be construed as providing legal advice or forming an attorney-client relationship.

Offline Shae Perkins

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Texas tough
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2009, 07:40:28 PM »
I don't know if you've ever been to the PkGen forums, but Teg is kind of known as a troll there. His videos are great, but every time I talk to him, he strikes me as a straight crazy person.

EDIT- yep, just scrolled through some of the comments. He has lost his mind. Crazy talk is all it is. Needs to spend less time trolling and more time training if you ask me.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 07:53:29 PM by Shae Perkins »
This post was based off of my personal gatherings. Enjoy:)

Offline Matthew Wang

• Total Awesome
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • July 1st, 2008 - My first day of training
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2009, 07:52:49 PM »
Everyone interprets things and meanings differently. Some theories work for some people, while others work for other people. Religion works for some guys, and believing in luck for others.

EVERYONE who has a legitimate opinion should be considered. Don't just look at those who have the spotlight because they make cool videos. Open up your horizons and listen to everyone's opinion. By learning about your own as well as others' opinions, you learn more about everyone's philosophy's and see things in a new light.

Now, if you disagree with someone, by all means disagree. Just do so with respect, that way others can learn about your point of view as well.

So even though Teg is a great traceur, don't look at just his thoughts. And then try to justify his behavior because he's a respected traceur.

Like the guy that says: "Btw, watch my videos, my lenses are full of creativity and overcoming obstacles.
Remember that creativity dosn't have to mean an aesthetic way of spinning on your bum.
Creativity is best when it's employed to tackle a real problem, not the problem of what would be the coolest way to 'flow' on some bricks."

Sure he sounds like a ranter or something, but he does say "Creativity is best when it's employed to tackle a real problem, not the problem of what would be the coolest way to 'flow' on some bricks." Look at that and learn from it. That's a new concept there that we could all either try, or just work from.
http://www.washingtonparkour.com/
Need something Washington Parkour related?
matt@washingtonparkour.com
washington@americanparkour.com
10 PUSH UPS OR 5 PULL UPS PER POST

Offline Anthony Ruiz

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • Youtube account
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2009, 10:56:50 PM »
I watched teg's videos, He is nothing above a general practicioner, his words dont need to be respected he just speaks out of jealousy it would seem, Im not impressed with him as a person or as a traceur. Think is that the kind of attitude or person you would want representing us as a community. personally I would rather have someone like illabaca represent us. Amazing traceur and person, hes humble and wants to help. not ridicule..... just think about it.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2009, 10:59:50 PM by Anthony Ruiz »
There is no reason to have a plan B, cause all it does is distract from plan A

Offline Rafe

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Natural Athletics
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2009, 11:48:15 PM »
I rather like Teige and think he generally has very good reasons for his points he tends not to put them very civil and definately falls near trolling territory occasionally.

There is reality though behind what he is saying. In the parkour community we give to much weight to what someone says based on their ability. Physical talent, is not necessarily correlated with smart training, cogent philosophies or good teaching ability. I have all the respect in the world for Danny's talent, and for Stephane Vigroux's and David Belles I think their all less then spectacular as coachs and leaders. I think it is great that Danny is trying to be a leader, but I don't think the way he trains is optimal for most people or that his personal philosophy would work for everyone else. If your Danny Ilabaca then maybe you can choose whether you fall or not for the rest of us training smart, and minimizing risks might just be prudent.

A substantial percentage of ability is biological determined, I don't personally talk to Danny or Teige but I do know quite a few people who have trained with both of them and Teige has much more developed understanding of training effectively, Danny is just the type of talent were he can train absolutely stupidily and still be ridiculous. The problem then is that people go to him for advice not understanding he is not like that because he has some great training method but because he is just that talented. 

I shall not fear, fear is the mind killer the little death that precedes total obliteration

I will face my fear, I will let it pass over and through me and were it is gone, I will turn the inner eye and see its path, and only I will remain.