Author Topic: Charles Moreland Interview  (Read 13955 times)

Offline Ozzi

• Sexability Head Coach
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • HIpk
    • View Profile
    • Hawaii Parkour
Charles Moreland Interview
« on: November 10, 2009, 12:47:47 PM »
Next up

Charles Moreland

Start asking and have fun!
« Last Edit: November 22, 2009, 01:51:37 PM by Ozzi »
"Be the change you want to see in the world"
 Ghandi

Offline Adam McC

• Delicious
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Level 1 Sexability Certified
    • View Profile
    • Lehigh Valley Parkour
Charles Morelan Interview
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2009, 01:27:07 PM »
Hey Charles

Is there any specific part of your training that you put an emphasis on?

•Lehigh Valley Parkour Community Founder
•Level 1 A.D.A.P.T. Certified
•Urban Current Member

Offline Charles Moreland

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • www.charlesmoreland.com
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2009, 02:40:55 PM »
Thanks for the opportunity Ozzi! Keep those questions rolling!

Offline Hannah W

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 03:10:10 PM »
What are some exercises that you like to do?

What is your absolute favorite thing about parkour?

When will Super Charlie return?    :o

Offline Sparklefish

• EAF!
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • San Francisco Parkour
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 03:23:19 PM »
My new question that I intend to ask everyone (as everyone answers differently and it amuses me): what is a thief vault?

What first triggered or instensified your interest in exercise and nutrition?  How have you fed that curiosity?  Books, discussions, college classes, etc.?

Offline Rebecca Myers

• Mangabey
  • Can you hear me up there? (miniPK)
    • View Profile
    • iPK
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 04:14:43 PM »
Charlie!!!

1)What is your absolute favorite parkour/freerunning movement?
2)If you could pick any "mainstream" profession and combine it with parkour, which would you choose, how would it work, and why?
3)If you hadn't found parkour, do you think another activity would've taken its place?
I have this image of a tidal wave appearance from like 50 Traceurs and Traceuses doing PK from one end of a mall to the other. t'would be epic
Kyle(Rage)
iPK
Roof Police.
"Not now chief, I'm on the f****** roof."

Offline Grayson

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2009, 04:33:18 PM »
What has your longest OAHS been? How did you feel after you achieved your first OAHS?
I eat a lot of food.

Offline Ozzi

• Sexability Head Coach
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • HIpk
    • View Profile
    • Hawaii Parkour
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2009, 10:51:01 PM »
Yo C,

What is the most important part of YOUR training and why?
 Ghandi

Offline Christian Greene

• Awesomely Epic
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • APEX Movement Team
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2009, 11:00:17 PM »
Will you come to candy mountain charlie?!

Offline Charles Moreland

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2009, 08:32:21 AM »
Is this all?!

Offline Tom Coppola

• Hirundo Rustica
  • TomewardBound
    • View Profile
    • Florida Parkour
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2009, 09:31:29 AM »
I'll add a few more...

What are your physical, mental, and/or career goals (short and long term)?
In your training, how do you balance body weight exercises and lifting (if at all)?
Do you train acrobatics?  If so, how often do you incorporate flips into "flow"?
What does your diet mostly consist of?
How do/did you feel about the Ultimate Parkour Challenge and why?
Why do you practice parkour?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kfGJ-vaW0Uw

When faced with the stress of a life-threatening engagement, we don't rise to the occasion, we descend to our level of training.

Offline Gabe Arnold

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Proud Founder of S.U.T.S.
    • View Profile
    • Gabe Arnold Fitness
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2009, 10:23:39 AM »
> What are your ideas on the future of Parkour? Will interest grow, plateau, spike, free fall? How do you see your future in it?

> If you could train anywhere in the world, at any hotspot, where would it be?

> Have you ever considered being a male model?

Offline Spencer B

• the Romantic
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • ...*BANG*...
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2009, 12:08:49 PM »
I REALLY want to ask some questions, but I just can't think of any three. If it's okay I'll maybe ask four...? If not you can skip my last one.

Do you think you should include information about swing time in your "Approach to Proper Running Technique"? It's something that was never mentioned and I've recently had to figure it out for myself as I always had much too slow of a swing time for an actually good running form.

Is it possible body type could affect heavily the ability to run long distances?

What's the furthest you've ever ran in one shot?
www.cracked.com
www.tvtropes.org

There are times when you want to break down and rage at the heavens. Don't. Stay calm, and let the emotions flood in, accept them and then rise above them. Never dwell. Don't fear or worry. Anything worth thinking about is worth talking about. And... Good luck.

Offline Sparklefish

• EAF!
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • San Francisco Parkour
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2009, 04:15:29 PM »
What traceurs (famous or not) do you admire and why?

What can we do to keep parkour safe for everyone?

How have you changed since you began training parkour?  Mentally, physically and spiritually.

Offline NikAs

• Patas
  • Parkour
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2009, 03:22:12 PM »
whats your favorite parkour move.

where do you see yourself in the next 4 years?
Aero parkour
Chicago

Offline Wenxin Yang

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Muffin Button
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2009, 03:26:12 PM »
Biggest Injury?

Offline Ozzi

• Sexability Head Coach
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • HIpk
    • View Profile
    • Hawaii Parkour
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2009, 05:34:51 PM »
What is your training weakness, that one thing you hate doing but know that needs to be done in order to balance your training?

If you could something [anything] what would it be?
 Ghandi

Offline Ozzi

• Sexability Head Coach
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • HIpk
    • View Profile
    • Hawaii Parkour
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2009, 03:40:11 PM »
Alright guys, so lets give Charlie some time to answer his question now.
Thanks C
 Ghandi

Offline Charles Moreland

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2009, 08:02:04 AM »
Apologies for the extreme pause guys. I wrote out these responses in a Word document which apparently saved as 0 KBs...

I am currently working to re-write all my responses.

Offline Charles Moreland

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2009, 08:44:45 AM »
Adam McC

Is there any specific part of your training that you put an emphasis on?

Technically, no. However that answer is boring. Flow is something I've come to appreciate in recent months and have worked on developing. I've also noticed myself falling in the trap of repetitive training (konging the same obstacles, climbing the same wall, basically doing the same thing every single time I train). Since then I've tried to forcefully mix things up and try new things every week to foster a more creative environment.

Hannah W

What are some exercises that you like to do?

Handstands!

What is your absolute favorite thing about parkour?

Hands down, the people. I love meeting and interacting with everyone I meet through parkour.

When will Super Charlie return?

Whenever he is needed  :)

Beretta

My new question that I intend to ask everyone (as everyone answers differently and it amuses me): what is a thief vault?

Thief vault = vault over a theif? My understanding of this is essentially the same as a lazy, however, it is lead by the outside leg. I think this is Stephane's vault of choice. Watch any vid and he'll throw thief vaults like whoah.

What first triggered or instensified your interest in exercise and nutrition? How have you fed that curiosity? Books, discussions, college classes, etc.?

Parkour did. The wonderful thing about parkour is that your progress and development are completely reliant on you and your programming ability. However, when I started getting interested, I noticed a severe deficiency of useful information out there and slowly my passion to expose the fitness industry developed.

Discussion is the best way to not only learn, but to solidify concepts into your head. It forces you to not just know the concepts, but articulate them in a way that helps another person understand what you mean. Outside of that, I read like it's my job. I utilize the library as much as possible and I also am subscribed to over 25 health and fitness blogs. I've learned more from reading than I ever have from any college lecture course.

Rebecca Myers

1)What is your absolute favorite parkour/freerunning movement?

The simple kong. It makes me feel like I'm flying  :)

2)If you could pick any "mainstream" profession and combine it with parkour, which would you choose, how would it work, and why?

This was an excellent question and took me a long time to come up with an answer. The first thing I thought of was a Bike Messenger. After you bypass the technical difficulties of locking up your bike, I feel there are a lot of ways that a bike messenger could utilize parkour training to make delivers faster. That then brought back memories of Danny MacAskill, who would make the most godly bike messenger, period.

3)If you hadn't found parkour, do you think another activity would've taken its place?

This is hard to answer mainly because when I found parkour (or rather when it was presented to me) I was in a really rough place. I was headed down a really bad life path and I'm sure my extreme introversion at the time would have prevented me from trying something new on my own.

Grayson

What has your longest OAHS been? How did you feel after you achieved your first OAHS?

My longest has been ~8 seconds. I've yet to replicate it. However, recently my holds have developed to a usual ~5 seconds on my right arm and ~3 on my left. Here is my most recent video of a hold:

http://charlesmoreland.com/2009/11/one-armed-handstand-progress/

After I did my 8 second hold I screamed like a small child.

Ozzi

What is the most important part of YOUR training and why?

At first I wanted to respond to this question by saying strength. Then I realized that strength is simply a factor of a larger component: control. Control is by far the most important part of my training. From the very beginning I have been obsessed with the idea of not just being able to demonstrate a particular movement, but to be able to express it with complete control throughout all parts. I feel this factor of training is one that is largely ignored or unrecognized in the practitioner population.

Christian Greene

Will you come to candy mountain charlie?!

Sigh, yes, Christian....I will go to candy mountain. If there are ANY magical Leopleridon's though, I turn back!

Tom Coppola

What are your physical, mental, and/or career goals (short and long term)?

Short term I want to expand my strength:bodyweight ratio and continue to battle my overwhelming issues with confidence and fear. I also just really want to focus and finish school.

Long term I simply want to continue to demonstrate growth physically and mentally and use that to inspire others. I have no idea what my career goals are because right now my life is making it impossible to plan for anything in the long term.

In your training, how do you balance body weight exercises and lifting (if at all)?

My training right now is horribly programmed. My schedule is ridiculous and things constantly come up last minute. I will say that recently the brunt of my training has been through bodyweight exercises simply because they're easy to do in my living room.

Do you train acrobatics? If so, how often do you incorporate flips into "flow"?

I do train acrobatics, however if I'm not in a gymnastics setting I do not incorporate them into my flow. This ties back into the “control” aspect I mentioned earlier. Until I am fully confident in my ability to control a flip, I will not utilize it. I'd say my front flips are close, but still make me feel slightly uncomfortable.

What does your diet mostly consist of?

Mostly Paleo, dairy, and grass-fed beef/venison. I cook most of my food and I get most of my produce from local farmers.

How do/did you feel about the Ultimate Parkour Challenge and why?

Respect to the athletes for being pioneers. They put themselves into a very difficult position where everything they do will be meticulously scrutinized and nit-picked. That demands respect.

Why do you practice parkour?

I practice because parkour fuels my soul. Parkour challenges me to become something or someone greater than who I am today.

Gabe Arnold

What are your ideas on the future of Parkour? Will interest grow, plateau, spike, free fall? How do you see your future in it?

Parkour is only going to get bigger and we need to be ready for it.

If you could train anywhere in the world, at any hotspot, where would it be?

My dream is to travel to Latvia and train on Oleg's stomping grounds.

Have you ever considered being a male model?

I'll practice my Blue Steel™  :)

Beretta

What traceurs (famous or not) do you admire and why?

I admire all traceurs  :)  Not exactly a cop out but I could write a book on this.

What can we do to keep parkour safe for everyone?

Lead by example. Your actions have direct influence on everyone else in the Parkour community.

How have you changed since you began training parkour? Mentally, physically and spiritually.

I'm a completely different person than when I started. Parkour has helped me identify what it feels like to be mentally and physically strong. I've become a more open and honest individual when I used to be very shy, closed minded, and introverted.

Wenxin Yang

Biggest Injury?

I've never sustained a serious injury while practicing parkour (or ever for that matter). 22 years and still no dislocations, broken bones, sprains or strains, etc. Just some scrapes and some bumps and bruises.

The other day I caught my knee on a concrete wall doing a speed vault. Just had to walk funny for about a day. It's almost all healed up now.

Ozzi

What is your training weakness, that one thing you hate doing but know that needs to be done in order to balance your training?

Rest days. Accepting the idea that in order to progress I need to chill out and let my body reconstruct. This concept is still the hardest to respect.

If you could do something [anything] what would it be?

Sit down with some coffee and personally meet and talk with every single person out there that practices parkour.

End Note – Apologies for the long response time but I hope my responses were thorough and stimulating.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 08:52:52 AM by Charles Moreland »