Author Topic: Americans Abroad  (Read 5934 times)

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
Americans Abroad
« on: August 19, 2006, 05:41:26 AM »
At APK we get many emails about people who will be travelling outside the US, or who live outside the US and are looking for other people to practice with. Personally I feel it's best to try to hang with as many locals as you can to learn and observe other cultures, but it's also nice to have American friends.

If you're outside the country, or will be for some period of time, post up in here, let people know where you are, and a little about you (how much you train, how often, when, where).

Be Useful.
If I don't try to make the world a better place, who will?
Every person has a choice - live by your fears or live by your dreams

Offline WaterBoy

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Courtesy of Captain Insano
    • View Profile
Re: Americans Abroad
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2006, 03:20:35 AM »
I'm WaterBoy, and I'm in Okinawa, RyuKyu Islands, Japan.
I agree with you, M2. Nothing would be better than to run with some of the locals here. But because of an extremely complex language barrier, I have absolutely no idea how to go about finding ant traceurs here.
'You can't be done! You haven't puked yet!'--wrestling coach

Offline Nick

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2006, 06:47:33 AM »
I'm nick, I lived in DC until about three weeks ago, now im in Nairobi (Kenya)...I have to admit that PKKE does roll off the tongue nicely.  The main thing that impairs my training isnt language because most people speak english here, and Ive picked up a considerable smattering of kiswahilli in the few weeks ive been here.  for me the big barrier is that fact that nairobi is a pretty dangerous city, especially in the busy areas where kidnappings and robberies are relatively common, and in some of the non danerous areas, you encounter electric fences and lots of security guards and security dogs.  still, my school is fantastic for parkour and there are some appartment complexes and malls that you can do parkour in.  So far ive only had one parkour related experience with a local here.
     A few days ago I was visiting hells gate national park, which has a very nice hike through a narrow rocky gorge made by a river fed by hotsprings.  We got lost.  A local kid named Jospeh who was about 15 said he was willing to show us the way to the hotspring and back for 200ksh (about 2.66 cents give or take a few).  When we agreed he said follow me, and proceeded to do a spectacular tic tac on one wall of the gorge, then push off and stall on the other wall (the gorge was about 3 metres wide) and drop down to a sandy area in the middle of the river (more of an ambitious stream at this point in the year, rains dont start for a few more months).  After that, he and I basically just did one long parkour run to the end of the trail.  I'm not sure he knew what he was doing had a name, but I didn't tell him, cause it was really parkour in its purest form, beign used to get from a to b quickly.
"We aren't here right now to live forever, we'll live forever tomorow

Offline Nick

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2006, 07:32:28 AM »
I was just thinking, Gene should maybe do a writeup of his time in europe and post it here.
"We aren't here right now to live forever, we'll live forever tomorow

Offline arwotring

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2009, 01:29:43 AM »
hey...i've been in orea for about a year now and haven't heard (or seen) any traceurs at all out here.  if there's anyone looing to meet up...please...please send me a message.

Offline arwotring

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2009, 01:30:36 AM »
sorry about that.  i'm not in "orea" ... i'm in Korea.

Offline Aaron Neale

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2009, 08:31:35 AM »
I'm going to be traveling to Italy in the fall, and would like to meet up with anyone, locals, or other travelers to do some parkour with.

Offline J Co

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2009, 11:04:29 AM »
I'll be in Malaga/Madrid this summer, if anyone is going to Spain

I'll also just generally be traveling around europe in august, and would be happy to hit up random pk spots all over the place, Lisses?

Offline pkmom

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Parkour Club
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2010, 07:10:21 AM »
next year ill be in high school and i want to start a parkour club. any tips on how to get this started or how to convinse the coach. PLEASE help me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Zach

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2010, 12:32:20 PM »
I live in cuernavaca, morelos, in mexico if anybody is planning on comming down here we could get together and train. I'm an American, so there wouldn't be any problems with the language barrier