Author Topic: Diving Into Parkour's Internet Past  (Read 1950 times)

Offline Gabe Arnold

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Proud Founder of S.U.T.S.
    • View Profile
    • Gabe Arnold Fitness
Diving Into Parkour's Internet Past
« on: November 12, 2009, 08:34:00 AM »
For whatever reason I've always had an interest in the early days of things, like sports and religions and such. Of particular interest to me, as a traceur, is the early history of Parkour on the Internet. The first time I saw Parkour online was way back in early '05 or so on the original Urban Freeflow website and forums.

Today I got the urge to go archive diving and I went to probably the coolest history site in the world, The Internet Archives. Searching through old UFF pages and other PK related things, here's some cool stuff I was able to track down. Give it a try, see what you can find. Internet diving is fun!

For instance, how about the home page (minus some coding) of APK, circa Nov. 2005?

Or how about a "Dissertation on Pain" by M2rock, aka, Mark Toorock? (circa 2003)

Speaking of him, a picture of M2 WITH HAIR!

One of the earliest "history" of Parkour articles (2004)

Livewire Sampler '05
Also, the front page of UFF when a newly sponsored athlete joined the team, named Molotov...aka "Livewire"  ;)

Or an extremely early UFF front page from 2003?

A PK clan from the US featured on UFF. The Moksha Clan out of Phoenix, AZ. Formed in 2002.

And for those who like my fictional Parkour series "RISE" check out where a large part of the inspiration comes from. Written by USA native Eric Terry, aka Gameyy, aka Mr. Linty. (He's the guy that designed most of the early APK designs for T-shirts and things)

And for the love of all that is holy, does anyone have a working link to the "Future of PK" and "Apocalyptica" stories mentioned in this thread? They were originally from the UFF's PKUSA boards and those stories are what originally inspired me to write the "RISE" series. The link in that thread doesn't work (or it didn't work for me) I really, REALLY want to read those stories again. Especially considering so many of the original USA practitioners had a hand in making them.
http://www.americanparkour.com/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,159/topic,180.0/

I managed to track down Page 1 of the story's original format and the edited together version on the old UFF boards but I can't get the remaining pages to work.
Future of PK (Edited)
Future of PK (Original)[/URL

Offline Charles Moreland

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • www.charlesmoreland.com
Re: Diving Into Parkour's Internet Past
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 10:17:18 AM »
These made me smile. Thanks Gabe!

Offline Brian Belida

• doc akh
  • Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • OPEN BEAR POSTURE
    • View Profile
    • appropriately untitled
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2009, 11:00:25 AM »
And for the love of all that is holy, does anyone have a working link to the "Future of PK" and "Apocalyptica" stories mentioned in this thread? They were originally from the UFF's PKUSA boards and those stories are what originally inspired me to write the "RISE" series. The link in that thread doesn't work (or it didn't work for me) I really, REALLY want to read those stories again. Especially considering so many of the original USA practitioners had a hand in making them.
http://www.americanparkour.com/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,159/topic,180.0/
I'm pretty sure Sam Slater has the entire thing compiled in a .doc file. I'll see if I can get him to post it here, or get it to me and I can toss it up.

Speaking of, I'd like to re-shill the Windtraceurs trailer [ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qQWAxopAWg ], which draws heavily from the Future of Parkour stories. Basically explaining one group of traceurs part amongst the whole interweaving thing. :D

Edit : Whoops, a-chasm is an old site my friends and I shared, so apparently that broken link is my fault.

Offline Alec Furtado

• kicks butt.
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Balance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2009, 01:41:41 PM »
This is awesome! I think you should keep compiling this information... a history like this would be so sick to check out. (i.e. save this thread :))
Water conforms to the shape of it's surroundings. Do not be water. Shape your own life.

Offline My Name

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2009, 05:33:58 PM »
wow thanks for sharing. being a relatively new to the community of parkour its cool to see its humble beginnings 

Offline Stephanie Belle Hagan

• Mangabey
  • poof.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2009, 08:55:42 PM »
Gabe, this is amazing!!!! Haha I have a lot of reading to do now  ;D
"When in doubt, make a fool of yourself. There is a microscopically thin line between being brilliantly creative and acting like the most gigantic idiot on earth. So, what the hell, leap!"
-Unknown

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2009, 06:57:48 AM »
hahahaha me with hair - how 2002 ... :P

nice stuff Gabe - I took HOURS to make my forum icon!!

one of the coolest tools for this is the wayback machine, you can pick a date and look at a website

http://www.archive.org/index.php

you can find some really interesting stuff, like check out how many posts on APK's forums on a certain date
Be Useful.
If I don't try to make the world a better place, who will?
Every person has a choice - live by your fears or live by your dreams

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2009, 06:59:27 AM »
I just thought of a good one - that I haven't been able to find because I deleted the emails. The person who made the Parkour  Wikipedia page emailed me and I supplied most of the info for the original page. Of course people came along later and re-wrote it because they somehow went back in time  and found better information then the stuff I was actually present for :P
Be Useful.
If I don't try to make the world a better place, who will?
Every person has a choice - live by your fears or live by your dreams

Offline Brandan Mendenhall

• Hirundo Rustica
  • [est. 1988]
    • View Profile
    • Arizona Parkour
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2009, 07:15:10 AM »
A team based in Phoenix, eh? Wonder what happened to 'em...

In any case, nice stuff Gabe!  :P
Your obstacle is my shortcut.

Offline David Jones

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Representin the 215's finest... PhillyPK All Day.
    • View Profile
    • PkCali
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2009, 08:00:40 AM »
Yeah I do this all the time. Go to any Parkour forum and go to the last page, then work forward from there. Fun stuff.

Offline Sam Slater

• Patas
  • a.k.a. 'Disciple'
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2009, 06:39:50 AM »
For your enjoyment:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/dmzy3nk2gyg/Future_of_PK_Story.rtf

I've read this thing probably 5 times.  I especially like Baram Shin's section ...  ;)

Offline Paul Leon Mederos

• Legend
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Simple Knowledge - Leon's Tumblr Blog
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2009, 05:02:53 PM »
YES I LOVED THAT STORY!!!
When we move, we move as one.

Act; for the universe will never forget your movement, nor will it ever forgive your stillness.

Offline Christian Greene

• Awesomely Epic
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • APEX Movement Team
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2009, 09:00:52 PM »
Wow - that's crazy to see how far back it goes and how much things have changed. I wish I'd known about it back in '03! I was in like 5th grade! Haha! Its crazy to see how small the community was, and compare to to how huge it is today! This is really interesting.  :)

turtlekarma

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2009, 12:39:27 AM »
woah cool stuff Gabe thanks for sharing your dig with us  ;D

Question: does anyone know of any actual parkour historians, like in the academic sense?  I'd love to talk to one, just out of curiosity. 

Offline NOS - from Parkour Mumbai

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • Parkour Mumbai
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2009, 04:42:16 AM »
Amazing how much has changed over the years in the parkour/freerun world!

As for that 'Future of Parkour' series - forget publishing it as a novel, it should totally be made into a movie! Would turn out to be a lot better one than what we get today in the name of parkour movies.

Question: does anyone know of any actual parkour historians, like in the academic sense?  I'd love to talk to one, just out of curiosity. 
I'm pretty sure a few of you would qualify for that post a few years from now, there are so many guys in the American scene that are knowledgeble about the history of pk.  ;) ;D