Author Topic: Shoes, bare minimum.  (Read 6534 times)

Offline Crevan

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Go! Go! Nintendo DS!
    • View Profile
Shoes, bare minimum.
« on: August 13, 2006, 01:55:25 AM »
Hey, I'm brand new to all this, I haven't really done much yet. I've read up a lot about shoes all over the forum and I was wondering:

I've got a pair of Converse All Stars, I've had them forever and they are pretty much extensions of my legs now. I feel completely comfortable in them but like I've said, I haven't done -too- much actual pk yet.

With no arch support but decent grip, will these shoes be good enough if I want to be serious about Parkour?

If not, I'm horribly broke, so does anyone have an idea of the cheapest, but still remotely functionable shoe?
o/` I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok. I sleep all night and I work all day. o/`

Offline pointman323

• Patas
  • yarrgh
    • View Profile
Re: Shoes, bare minimum.
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2006, 03:42:33 AM »
they have 0 arch support, no cusion, no grip, and absolutely no actually support (for rest of foot and ankle), find a pair of running shoes with a simple grip design. you wont find any real cheap, but maybe $40-$60 range. if you wanna get into serious parkour after a while, be prepared to drop even more money ( i spent $90 for my Merrell Chameleon II Stretch and i love them) but to start out try some simple running shoes and move up if you wanna go hard core, but its trial and error after that
"Its not that we're the best, its that everybody else sucks"

Offline hardcoretraceur

• PRIVATE
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • a coeur vaillant rien d'impossible
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2006, 10:29:37 AM »
be prepared to spend around 60 for shoes.

try discount racks at shoe stores. i look for things with good grip, flexibility, and as light as possible. your first few pairs should be like 40, to get you into it, and if you start getting serious i suggest a pair of asics, they are awesome.

i wouldnt suggest getting merrells because they are really too heavy.i wouldnt pay 90 dollars for a pair of shoes i know are going to get trashed in a matter of months. no hostility, just personal preferance.
keep it free and true

Over
Under       OUTkrew is OUTgoing
Through

Offline Crevan

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Go! Go! Nintendo DS!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2006, 11:02:51 AM »
Haha, I was afraid of that. Thanks a ton, I'll go see what I can find.
o/` I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok. I sleep all night and I work all day. o/`

Offline Altimot

• Hirundo Rustica
  • its al (like the name) /tea/ mot (rhymes with not)
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Page
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2006, 02:00:39 PM »
probably should be in consumer whores  ::)

Yes man, those converses probably arent gonna work. I would buy just a basic running shoe and keep training, and after a bit if you get really into parkour then i would go ahead and get some merrells or something.

i wouldnt suggest getting merrells because they are really too heavy.i wouldnt pay 90 dollars for a pair of shoes i know are going to get trashed in a matter of months. no hostility, just personal preferance.

I dont know which merrells you are talking about but the ones i have are amazing. Every guy in the springs crew out here has them too. Also, these shoes dont get trashed in a matte of months, maybe a matter of a year it might be better to get a new pair but not like 3 months. My friend had his for about a year and then got a new pair but his old ones were still in good enough shape to give to another traceur to use.

Im just guessing that you have never actually had these shoes on.  ::)

Offline The Manilla Gorilla

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Banana Boat?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2006, 02:24:37 PM »
Every guy in the springs crew out here has them too.

PLease telll me you guys go to jams all wearing the same COPK shirt, and matching shoes. If you do you defintily win The "Faboulously Fashionable Scene" award.

Also, these shoes dont get trashed in a matte of months, maybe a matter of a year it might be better to get a new pair but not like 3 months.

Jesse, although i do know what you and the rest of the jersey boys do to your shoues, some pairs of merrels are bad ass.

BTW, does anyone else notice how addidas, and reebok are currently trying to design parkour shoes, yet most traceurs swear by merel and asics. Two shoe companys that arn't even trying.  :P

Offline Sat Santokh

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Don't think with your balls, think with your brain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2006, 02:32:42 PM »
Go asics

Offline Mike "Pyro" Araujo

• Mangabey
  • Pyro4pk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 13, 2006, 02:49:42 PM »
I just picked up a pair of asics they are pretty good. Haven't trained really hard with them. I have sen merrells and they seem more like boots to me. I like new balances but i figure i give asics a try since they are siad ot be good.

Offline pointman323

• Patas
  • yarrgh
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2006, 11:23:58 AM »
merrill makes hiking boots, hiking boots, water shoes and "trail running" shoes, get the trail runners!

Offline colin jensen

• Patas
  • Free or Dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2006, 02:16:35 PM »
i bought some asics not to long ago and i love them. they are the best parkour shoes i have ever owned.
Be not afraid of growing slowly, be afraid only of standing still.

He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

The universe may not always play fair, but atleast it has one hell of a sense of humor.

Gearsighted

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2006, 02:19:41 PM »
I have trained barefoot, and in wrestling shoes...the lack of support isn't necessarily a huge problem, and it makes you stick to good landing technique to avoid foot injury (which in turn carries over to better knee, hip and back health)

I'm not sure if it would be good for beginners or not, but I have a feeling that a new person would be better off sticking to drops they can do barefoot, as this will be a natural control of the whole "excessive height" issue.

I say try the converse. If you start to get pains in your shins or knees, reconsider, but we're made to jump, run and climb without the aid of cushioning on our feet. Yes, it helps, and I do wear regular shoes too, but it's not necessarily a must-have.

Offline pointman323

• Patas
  • yarrgh
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2006, 05:27:17 AM »
i was actually thinking about trying wrestling shoes, are they actaully pretty good?

Offline Kiba

• Guenons
  • A jack of all trades, a master of none.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2006, 08:22:00 AM »
                 Ever do precisions barefoot on granite? >_> Although I think shoes have nothing to do with how you run, (Parkour run, not run like... track.) you need SOME protection. Personally I wear a pair of $15 Airs, they're not even brand name and their grip has been worn down to almost completly flat. But I still think they're fine, I've put those insoles that UF reccomended into them so they're more comfortable to walk in.                                                                                                                                                                          Otherwise they're written on, worn down, and dirty. As long as they protect my feet from sharp and rough objects I'll wear them. While grip is a plus, I can do without much. There are some instances where grip is needed, like that time I was on this rock climbing problem, I was drilling wall run to cats to get up it, and I had to walk down the steep back of it. I chose to slide because of the crappy grip on my shoes, but it would have been much faster running. They're holding up really well for a pair of flea market trainers (Besides the grip.). I plan on replacing them with some better, but equally cheap shoes and keeping the insoles to put in those. Well there's my two cents. Got a little long, sorry about that.
Nyah...

Offline hardcoretraceur

• PRIVATE
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2006, 09:15:57 AM »
ive done rock precisions barefoot, if your doing it right, it wont hurt.
keep it free and true

Over
Through

Offline Kiba

• Guenons
  • A jack of all trades, a master of none.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2006, 09:20:15 AM »
ive done rock precisions barefoot, if your doing it right, it wont hurt.

Rocks are ok, certain types like granite are uber rough though. ROck climbers usually wear gloves when they're climbing granite.
Nyah...

Offline hardcoretraceur

• PRIVATE
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2006, 05:42:46 PM »
i dont know about that. rock is rock is one really any harder on the feet, and i couldnt see seriously climbing with gloves.

thats not what this topic is about though so we shouldnt discuss it further.
keep it free and true

Over
Through