Author Topic: Max's Community Interview  (Read 8530 times)

Offline Ozzi

• Sexability Head Coach
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • HIpk
    • View Profile
    • Hawaii Parkour
Max's Community Interview
« on: October 12, 2009, 04:33:35 PM »
Alright guys,

Next in line we got Max Calder

Video he put together for this interview.

Max if you can please post a Head shot that would be awesome!!

And GO!!!
« Last Edit: October 12, 2009, 05:03:23 PM by Ozzi »
"Be the change you want to see in the world"
 Ghandi

Offline bigninjapimp

• Hirundo Rustica
  • BNP
    • View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 05:07:20 PM »
Hey, thanks for giving me this opportunity, I hope to answer all your questions to the best of my ability, so bring it on ;)

Offline Jeremy Osborn

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Wisconsin Parkour
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 05:33:02 PM »
Sweet first question! dont i feel special  8)

Okay! Anyways, i watched your video, seemed like youre a Zelda fan, wow i feel nerdy.. Umm.. Which ones have you played/beat?

How did you get into Parkour?

What kind of skill level do you hope to be at with Parkour in 2 years from now?
Wisconsin Parkour

Your friendly neighborhood Techno-head.

"The Chinese use two brush strokes for the word 'crisis', one stands for danger, the other for opportunity. In a crisis, be aware of the danger, but recognize the opportunity."

Offline Adam C

• Hirundo Rustica
  • I jump over stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2009, 10:44:13 AM »
haha the last pic looks like product placement with the ariakes.  ;D
"Hi! I'm Mark Toorock from American Parkour. Today, we're going to be showing you parkour."

I will crush my mental blocks into a fine powder, and then I will construct a fabulous Zen garden.

Offline Gabe Arnold

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Proud Founder of S.U.T.S.
    • View Profile
    • Gabe Arnold Fitness
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 06:17:28 PM »
1) Where did you get that sig, the one about "These people are known as Traceurs". Did you make that yourself?

2) What role do you see Parkour serving in your future, as in, what will you do with it? Make it into a career of some kind, simply keep training, etc.?

3) Which do you personally consider a has a bigger influence on training proficiency: cardiovascular endurance or physical strength? (barring pure talent and technical skill)

Offline Cody G

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2009, 05:38:31 AM »
How often do you get out to train?  What is a normal session like for you?

Offline Jordan Strybos

• Man of Skochy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Lancaster, PA
    • View Profile
    • PKGA
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2009, 02:28:02 PM »
Do you feel like that pressure of fans and admirers is pushing the sanity out of you?  :P
Who are the people who have influenced your training the most since you began?
What are your ideal conditions for training in? (i.e. light rain, sunny, cold, warm, night, day, etc...)

Offline Rebecca Myers

• Mangabey
  • Can you hear me up there? (miniPK)
    • View Profile
    • iPK
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009, 02:39:57 PM »
What's your favorite parkour/freerunning skill that you've learned?
What got you started with parkour/freerunning?
Do you/did you play any other sports?

I have this image of a tidal wave appearance from like 50 Traceurs and Traceuses doing PK from one end of a mall to the other. t'would be epic
Kyle(Rage)
iPK
Roof Police.
"Not now chief, I'm on the f****** roof."

Offline Paul Leon Mederos

• Legend
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Simple Knowledge - Leon's Tumblr Blog
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2009, 03:33:03 PM »
Do you feel that Parkour has any altruistic ties to it, meaning should the movement and discipline be associated with things such as respect, humility, compassion, perseverance, bravery, and love? Or should it be simply a training method?

How do you feel about describing parkour as a challenge rather than a competition? Or is there no difference, just two words meaning the same thing?

At your point in the path, what do you currently train for? What are your hopes and aspirations for parkour and it's community?

thanks for your time Max  :)
When we move, we move as one.

Act; for the universe will never forget your movement, nor will it ever forgive your stillness.

turtlekarma

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2009, 07:02:55 PM »
have you ever thought of throwing away the shoes and going natural?

Offline Team Avian

• Completely and Utterly Banned not.
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • ɹnoʞɹɐd ǝןןıʌsɐןƃnop
    • View Profile
    • Team Avian's Home Page
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2009, 06:58:57 AM »
What are your views on the "Free Running is OK to be Competition" thing?

Do you think that Parkour is heading in the right direction with all of the TV shows coming out?

What age did you start following Parkour?

When you first started, did you train for the right reasons (Most people started because it is cool and then discovered the philosophy behind it and fell even more in love with it, are you the same way?)

Thanks for your time

(PS: I don't think the old answer threads should be deleted seeing as it could be a VERY useful Q&A for a new comer)

-Kyle B.
Team Avian soaring through the city-scape

Team Avian's Home Page

Team Avian's Youtube Channel

Quote from: Beretta
"Open mindedness is an essential parkour skill."

**APK Roof Police**

Offline Ozzi

• Sexability Head Coach
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • HIpk
    • View Profile
    • Hawaii Parkour
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2009, 11:49:58 PM »

Do you think that Parkour is heading in the right direction with all of the TV shows coming out?

When you first started, did you train for the right reasons (Most people started because it is cool and then discovered the philosophy behind it and fell even more in love with it, are you the same way?)

Thanks for your time

(PS: I don't think the old answer threads should be deleted seeing as it could be a VERY useful Q&A for a new comer)

-Kyle B.

It is not deleted actually, it is on the archives at the button of the main board. Also, ther eis a link on the main post of this thread for any one who wants to go back and access to it.
 Ghandi

Offline Charles Moreland

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • www.charlesmoreland.com
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2009, 06:10:43 AM »
Max, where do you see yourself in 5 years? What aspects of you have changed since becoming a traceur? Do you have any regrets?

Offline Ozzi

• Sexability Head Coach
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • HIpk
    • View Profile
    • Hawaii Parkour
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2009, 10:55:47 AM »
Alright guys, you know the rules, now this week lets give Maz sometime to answer this questions to the best of his ability.

Thanks Max.
 Ghandi

Offline bigninjapimp

• Hirundo Rustica
  • BNP
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2009, 07:41:58 AM »
Okay! Anyways, i watched your video, seemed like youre a Zelda fan, wow i feel nerdy.. Umm.. Which ones have you played/beat?
Yeah I love Zelda. I've played oot, windwaker, and phantom hourglass. So not to many I'd like to play more though.
Windwaker is by far my favorite.

How did you get into Parkour?
I found a website while researching buildering, that had a parkour section. I read what parkour was and thought it was the perfect activity for me.

What kind of skill level do you hope to be at with Parkour in 2 years from now?
I constantly look at my peers for insperation, everyone I know in the pk community has an aspect about them that I admire and look to emulate in skill. That's one of the reasons I like to travel and train with different people. So I guess you could say I'd like to be like everyone. :P

1) Where did you get that sig, the one about "These people are known as Traceurs". Did you make that yourself?
   Yes I did. I wrote everything except for the first sentence which is a David Belle quote. I wrote while I was injured and had to take about 7 months off from parkour to recover. I did a lot of thinking about what parkour meant to me. And that paragraph is what I eventually came up with.

2) What role do you see Parkour serving in your future, as in, what will you do with it? Make it into a career of some kind, simply keep training, etc.?
Well my dream job has always been being a stuntman, and my parkour training has definitely helped with that.

3) Which do you personally consider a has a bigger influence on training proficiency: cardiovascular endurance or physical strength? (barring pure talent and technical skill)
 Well they are both important, lately I've been focusing on gymnastic strength training and occasional weight training.

How often do you get out to train?  What is a normal session like for you?
  I try to train here and there throughout my day, but I'll spend at least one day a week doing some serious training.

Do you feel like that pressure of fans and admirers is pushing the sanity out of you?  Tongue
lol, I wasn't aware I had fans. :P

Who are the people who have influenced your training the most since you began?
Everyone I've met has someway influenced me, like I said earlier I look to everyone for insperation and I think I learn something from everyone I meet.
Traceurs who inspire me the most are probably, David Belle, Daniel Illabaca, Phil Doyle, Jesse Danger, Arfel  Villanueva, and Tom Coppola.

What are your ideal conditions for training in? (i.e. light rain, sunny, cold, warm, night, day, etc...)
I love slightly chilly weather. But I'll train in anything.

What's your favorite parkour/freerunning skill that you've learned?
Probably the palm spin :P

Do you/did you play any other sports?
I used to play a bit of soccer and wrested a bit in highschool. But I never was truly into any sport untill parkour.

Do you feel that Parkour has any altruistic ties to it, meaning should the movement and discipline be associated with things such as respect, humility, compassion, perseverance, bravery, and love? Or should it be simply a training method?
I think those are all good characteristics for everyone to have. And as a person, not a traceur, we should strive to live those Ideals and inspire others in the process. But parkour itself is just a training method in my eyes.

At your point in the path, what do you currently train for? What are your hopes and aspirations for parkour and it's community?
I train to further improve my self and inspire others along the way,that's pretty much it :).  One thing I would love to see in the parkour community is for everyone to put the bullshit behind them and get along again.

I train barefoot on and off. haha :P

I think it's fine as long as people don't start to see parkour or freeruning as just a competition. If people want to compete, let them. But if you are not a competitive person then don't participate. Everyone is different, people just need to learn to accept that not everyone is gonna have the same opinion and should just get along.

I think so, I'm hoping that it doesn't turn into a trendy hobby that no one takes seriously, sorta how skate boarding is looked at by the public.

16, and I'm 20 now.

I used to always climb on things before I found parkour, mainly cause I wanted to be a ninja. When I found parkour I did not take my training seriously for the first few months, mainly cause I've never really stuck to any activity I've done in the past.
It took a casual conversation with a friend, who I was learning parkour with, for me to start training seriously. He said he wanted to be as good as the people we saw in the videos, and I realized that if they could get that good so could I.

Luckily about 4 months into training I found a good resource for training, www.parkour.net

For those of you who don't know what the site is, its an old forum where there were lots of experienced international traceurs who posted their training advice.

Max, where do you see yourself in 5 years?
   Hopefully I will still be training and at a much higher level, and hopefully doing stunt work regularly.

What aspects of you have changed since becoming a traceur?
   Well my entire life has changed since I became  traceur. It's made me a much more physically healthy person, and I've made lasting friendships through parkour that I wouldn't have made otherwise. The later is imho the most valuable thing I have gained from parkour.

Do you have any regrets?
Life's too short for regrets. Even the mistakes I've made along the way, looking back, have shaped who I am today.
 You make mistakes, hopefully learn from them, and emerge a better stronger person after. Thats what parkour/life is all about
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 07:59:12 AM by Max'BNP'Calder »

Offline Ozzi

• Sexability Head Coach
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • HIpk
    • View Profile
    • Hawaii Parkour
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2009, 10:59:37 AM »
Thanks so much for taking your time Max.
 Ghandi

Offline Rebecca Myers

• Mangabey
  • Can you hear me up there? (miniPK)
    • View Profile
    • iPK
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2009, 07:25:09 AM »
Thanks Max! I'm gonna start working on a palm spin sooner or later..haha.
I have this image of a tidal wave appearance from like 50 Traceurs and Traceuses doing PK from one end of a mall to the other. t'would be epic
Kyle(Rage)
iPK
Roof Police.
"Not now chief, I'm on the f****** roof."