Author Topic: Words to describe parkour  (Read 11338 times)

Offline jmanndriver

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
Words to describe parkour
« on: August 10, 2006, 08:10:02 PM »
What words do you use to describe parkour?

philosophy lifestyle tool
Parkour isn't a sport, it's a way of life...

Offline Sat Santokh

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Don't think with your balls, think with your brain
    • View Profile
Re: Words to describe parkour
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2006, 08:11:34 PM »
Useful, Beautiful, Self-Improvement

Offline Altimot

• Hirundo Rustica
  • its al (like the name) /tea/ mot (rhymes with not)
    • View Profile
    • Myspace Page
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2006, 09:48:36 PM »
paradigm shifting. acrobatic. expressed movement.... ill have more later.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2006, 09:50:52 PM by Altimot »

Offline Cliff Boz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • "ohfomehxr"
    • View Profile
    • ohfomehxr.com
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2006, 04:20:12 AM »
Liberating

Also: ncparkour.com
North Carolina Traceurs

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2006, 05:57:01 AM »
PLEASE don't make this a "what I feel parkour really is" thread ....

Are you talking about words you use to describe parkour to other people? Or words to describe how parkour makes you feel? Is this a poetry contest or yet another definiton of Parkour?

Parkour is not a lifestyle, it is a method of moving through your environment.
Parkour is not a philosophy, it is a method of moving through your environment.
Parkour is a tool, it is a tool for training your body for a specific task: moving through your environment.
Parkour is useful, it is useful to train your body to move through your environemnt.
Parkour is beautiful, but only when done by those who have trained hard for years and reached a level of proficiency at moving through their environment.
Parkour can definitely be used for self-improvement as it is a trianing tool for moving through your environment.
Parkour can be a paradigm shift, if you have never effectively moved through your environment.
Parkour can be acrobatic, if it suits effective movement through your environemnet.
Parkour must be expressed through movement, if you are not moving, then you are not moving through your environment.
Parkour can be liberating if you have previously felt as though you were not able to move through your environment in the way you wanted.
Be Useful.
If I don't try to make the world a better place, who will?
Every person has a choice - live by your fears or live by your dreams

Offline jmanndriver

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2006, 06:58:29 AM »
more of a definition of parkour. Just wanted to see waht i would get outta others when this came up.
Parkour isn't a sport, it's a way of life...

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2006, 07:44:33 AM »
Ok well, there's already a definiton for Parkour, and it works just fine, so I don't think we really need "everybody's words" for that reason.
Be Useful.

Offline Sat Santokh

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Don't think with your balls, think with your brain
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2006, 10:48:47 AM »
Hasn't David Belle said at some point that it is more than just a tool?

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2006, 10:59:06 AM »
Has he? What did he say? What did he mean? How will it help everyone?

I'm not against discussing things, I just want it to be very clear that there is already a definition for Parkour, and so whatever words people use to describe it don't change what it is.

People do base philosophies and lilfestyles off of it, but Parkour itself is neither.

The problem that I'm trying to nip in the bud here is people running away with a "what parkour is to me" mentality. Parkour is defined, it doesn't need to be defined again.

Now, if people want to discuss HOW parkour fits into their lifestyle, or how it helps form their philosophy or what their philosphy is that's fine (as long as it doesn't get into religious philosophy). BUT let's keep that from gettign confused with making parkour into all those things.
Be Useful.

Offline Cliff Boz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • "ohfomehxr"
    • View Profile
    • ohfomehxr.com
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2006, 05:56:03 AM »
Hm, I see Mark's points a/b this thread.

I took it more as a "What words would you use to describe how Parkour has made/makes you feel?" question. :) I think that's valid and separate from another (needless) "What is parkour?" line.  8)

Also: ncparkour.com
North Carolina Traceurs

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2006, 06:23:31 AM »
Indeed, how parkour makes you feel is a very individual and interesting topic. Maybe that's why nobody takes the time to write a good 1-2 page post about that anymore?

How about what benefits have YOU gained from Parkour. Which is much different from people trying to "define" what are THE benefits of Parkour.

either of these would make a great discussion.
Be Useful.

Offline The Manilla Gorilla

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Banana Boat?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2006, 11:37:25 AM »
Indeed, how parkour makes you feel is a very individual and interesting topic. Maybe that's why nobody takes the time to write a good 1-2 page post about that anymore?

How about what benefits have YOU gained from Parkour. Which is much different from people trying to "define" what are THE benefits of Parkour.

either of these would make a great discussion.

Damn right m2.

I cant even begin to try to say what i have gottne out of parkour, or maybe i can ill try. See thats number one what i hve gotten out of parkour. You have to try. How many people post on the forums saying how cool parkour is, and how badly they want to do it and yet when push come to shove they dont want to go out and learn the basics.The thing you see belle d are the same thing you and i do. Just on a greater scale, and you can gett to that scale if you only try.

One of the most direct things i have gotten form parkour is a better physical, and mental state. Physiclly (except my knees) i am much better off then i was. Just from READING most of gears posts, i have a decent enough base knowledge on fitness to start learning things on my own. Which is one of the most important things in life, being able to do things on your own. Mentally i am much better off. When i found parkour i wasn't in the worst shape my sister had a kid with a dead beat dad, and we didnt find out till she was 8 months pregnant, my mom lost her job, all sorts of stuff. i used to bitch and moan about how i had two jobs plus school. Then i realized atleast i HAD  those two jobs if i dodn;t i dont know what would have happened. Its that good additude that so many of you guys have. Its infectious. Strydzz seeing you dealing with your injury like that, i mean damn! I'd be so bitter, but you just used it as an opputunity to learn.

Also alot of guys go out of there way to help people. At bEast coast, Skipper housed all those people. M2 cooked, an bought all that food, let Me (a kid he never met) a bunch of ny guys, and a bunch of chicago guys, stay at his place. Everyone was toatly fine with cramming as many people as could fit into there cars. thinking back it was crazy. And thats not even  the only thing those guys have done, Whenever i jam with m2 he always buys every dinner. I always used to PM skipper question about parkour, stupid questions, but he answered them, and im sure he answered others. Gear, i cant even start about gear, i just listened to him at PKusa, that is one guys who knows some shit. plus i know so much more about fitness cause of him. Akh, is funny as hell, at beast coast he tolirated me in his car EVEN after i went on some crazy trip about the human eye. Just for not throwing me out of the car then and there he has my respect. Demon all your drills of the month, plus the fact that whenever anyone post a vid, you are usally one of hte first one to comment. Asa... i cant belive he is only 17! he let us sleep in his dads church that one time, albeit we had to apint one of the rooms, but stil. pls all the work he did with NYPK.

Also this is sort of indirect, but through parkour i have gotten to meet/ talk to SO many people i wouldnt of even known! Wheter its guys form the south (ohformehxr, and all those carolina guys) People form the midwest ( demon, and all those colarado guys) DC, and that area. Its good to meet popele that arnt all form NYC, different perspectives different views on things.

Also because of parkour, i have reallly started trying to better myself, i mean by no means am i perfect. Bt i have read things i wouldn't have even of thought about just for the different perspectives. Anarchist books, marxism, communism, buddism, islam, I have really started getting into certain aspects of Zen. This is what comes from the philosphy part of parkour, i've started taking different paths, i read the things im not comfterbale with untill i understand them. In parkour you have to know your enviroment or problems will ocuor. Its just like that in real life. How many problems come from misunderstanings. As big of a clicje it is, knowlegde is power. When you know things, you wont get scammed, or you can see through certain things. We are very dependant on the news, they couls lie to us and we would have no idea simply because so many people just dont have the knowledge to double check it.

I probally could be able to word this out alot better, but its my moms biirthday, and i have to clean. maybe ill edit it later, i havn't been able to proofread this. but these are just SIME ways parkour has shaped me.

Offline colin jensen

• Patas
  • Free or Dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2006, 11:43:32 AM »
i guess you can describe how it makes you feel.
Be not afraid of growing slowly, be afraid only of standing still.

He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

The universe may not always play fair, but atleast it has one hell of a sense of humor.

Offline Kurokaze

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2006, 11:47:31 AM »
well in that case it makes me feel like im dreaming.

i have some many realistic dreams about flying and jumping really far(even before i learned of pk).

i can't help but feel like im dreaming when im PK'ing

i guess that explains why i have such a love for big drops and gap jumps.
In like a lion out like a lamb. . . world class.

Offline The Manilla Gorilla

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Banana Boat?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2006, 11:48:31 AM »
and real quick the people i have met from doing parkour, are so awesome. I would easliy consider everyone fomr the NYC scene good friends of mine. Pyro, the jersey boys, Bo, twirchkidd, owais, asa, future. ALl these guys, plus because of the wonders of AIM id ssay in in good stands with a nice chunk of the APK community.

DAmn another point, ill say it fast cause my sister is calling me. I have been to alot of parkour forums, and this one is by far the best and as much as we bitch about pyscosis posting, would APK be the same with out his pancake rambing? Or (thats right im taking it WAY back) would APK be the same with out ALL the 7 page thread about flips being parkour. OR the constant bickering between andi and deft. or the smittting of willis. For the new people they cleared willis karma like twice and somehow is still that bad. That guy is somhow a magnet for smittening but APK needs him none the less.

Offline colin jensen

• Patas
  • Free or Dead
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2006, 02:38:25 PM »
well cheers to psycosis!!! (raises drink) ;D
Be not afraid of growing slowly, be afraid only of standing still.

He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever.

The universe may not always play fair, but atleast it has one hell of a sense of humor.

psycosis12

« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2006, 03:15:14 PM »
Lol, when I seen that post ^ I thought o0 did I post something that was cool?

Offline michiganparkour

• Patas
  • WHAAAAAAT
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2006, 04:59:41 PM »
okay psycosis DONT POST ANY MORE unless its about pancakes lol
Don't argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2006, 08:54:44 PM »
ok, someone makes a great post and the best things that we can answer are cheers to psycosis for f#cking posting too much? I think we should shut down the forums for a month :(
Be Useful.

Offline Mike "Pyro" Araujo

• Mangabey
  • Pyro4pk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2006, 09:08:21 PM »
I thnk manilla gets a karma boost and a golf clap from me on that post. Some things he said rings true for me aswell. I would have been sitting on my ass this whole summer if it wasn't for parkour. I would have stayed anti-social. Parkour has made me more open to people and able to approach people easier. And as manilla said i consider alot of the traceurs i have met good friends of mine. And the fact that i've never really talk directly to most of you, makes me feel like i haven't experienced enough perspectives, not only about pakour but life in general.

Unlike manilla i'm going to stop myself before i go into a mile long post.