Author Topic: Trapezoid Vault Box  (Read 8236 times)

Offline Alec H

• Guenons
    • View Profile
Trapezoid Vault Box
« on: October 24, 2009, 05:04:35 PM »
Does anyone know where I can get something like http://shopper.cnet.com/track-field/trapezoid-foam-vaulting-box/4414-19313_9-51925594.html this for relativly cheap?  I was going to build a parcube, but this trapezoid thing looks much better, but expensive.  I wanted to build a parcube, but it seemed too big.  Also, the cube seems like it can't change height, and is too big across. I checked eBay and craigslist already.

Offline Alex B

• Mangabey
  • Find your own path.
    • View Profile
Re: Trapezoid Vault Box
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2009, 05:39:51 PM »
well you could make multiple trapezoid-shaped boxes out of wood, each having a bottom face with the same dimensions as the top face of the previous one. then put some method of affixing the boxes together in place, such as latches or heavy duty nylon straps. and there you go, DIY trapezoid vault box on the cheap!
It's not about showing off. It's about movement and passion and freedom. It's about giving yourself the ability to reach farther and higher, to go anywhere you please. It's about living without boundaries.

Offline Alec H

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2009, 07:13:16 PM »
Well, the main thing I like about the one I posted, is that it is foam.  If you fall on wood that hurts, where as foam is rather soft =D

Offline Grayson

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2009, 07:20:19 PM »
Concrete and metal are not soft...
I eat a lot of food.

Offline Alex B

• Mangabey
  • Find your own path.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2009, 07:28:17 PM »
I understand why youd want foam, although in a city or the woods theres not many soft things.

but for training, its perfect.

you can buy hard foam that can be cut to the exact dimensions of each side of the trapezoids except the bottoms) and then affix them with screws/washers, just like the mats on the walls in a gymnasium.
It's not about showing off. It's about movement and passion and freedom. It's about giving yourself the ability to reach farther and higher, to go anywhere you please. It's about living without boundaries.

Offline Alec Furtado

• kicks butt.
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Balance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2009, 07:57:31 PM »
Yes, there are benefits of training on obstacles of the same material as the real world but gymnastics equipment such as this can be a great tool, especially since you can take it apart, offering a ton of potential setups. Just don't get too used to it ;).

Now as for finding cheap versions of this... I doubt you can. I'm sure there is stuff cheaper than $1000 but take a look at gymnastics supplier sites. The stuff is just inherently expensive. RIDICULOUSLY expensive. I think building multiple vault boxes would be a better choice. You'd need to be pretty dang lucky to get something like this for cheap (know some people). I guess you could see if any gymnastics gyms in your area are replacing some of their stuff.
Water conforms to the shape of it's surroundings. Do not be water. Shape your own life.

Offline Andy Keller

• Oh baby baby.
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Lancaster, PA
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2009, 08:15:15 PM »
My advice would be build them with wood then cover them in foam. Let me know if you want specific details.
"Do it, do it well, do it well and fast."

Offline Everett McClain

• Patas
  • Ghost
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2009, 10:54:00 PM »
Also, the cube seems like it can't change height, and is too big across

the cube can change sizes. Depending on which side you put it on, it can eitheh be 2' 4' pr 8' w/brace for wallrunning

Also, why on earth are those so expensive?!!??! its like $25 worth of material! :(
"Everyday Men and Women are the World are seen Climbing Scaffolding and Jumping off Walls.

For Them The City Is A Gaint Jungle Gym And Recess Lasts Forever." - New York Parkour ~ Physical Graffiti

Proud to still be a kid out the

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2009, 07:34:55 AM »
yeah, I've looked for a LONG time for inexpensive alternatives to mats of many kinds, the only answer is "craigslist and patience" :)
Be Useful.
If I don't try to make the world a better place, who will?
Every person has a choice - live by your fears or live by your dreams

Offline Chad Zwadlo (Zwadloc)

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Fight or Flight Academy
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2009, 11:38:55 AM »
http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.khalsagymnastics.com/pcat-gifs/products-small/gymnastic-eqp-005.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.khalsagymnastics.com/vaulting-box.html&usg=__dSM3aktGWs3yG1tTseK_FXcHguc=&h=255&w=342&sz=15&hl=en&start=3&um=1&tbnid=PFH2hW_pswgXNM:&tbnh=89&tbnw=120&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dvault%2Bbox%26hl%3Den%26rls%3Dcom.microsoft:en-us%26sa%3DN%26um%3D1

We have one of these at our gym, it's called a Swedish Vaulting Box.  Ours comes apart into 6 sections (I'll try to get some pictures of it up or something).  It's probably super expensive if you actually buy one, but building one would be much cheaper.  All you'ld need is a couple pieces of plywood for the outside parts, some 2x4s for braces inside it (and to hold it together when you stack them on top of each other), and some foam padding on the top (optional I suppose).  It would take some time but you could totally make one, and they are amazing for vaulting over.

We also have 3 sets of those colored pad trapazoids that you're already looking at and from experience I would say they aren't worth $1000.  If you're using them a decent amount they will go real squishy and the velcro that holds them together will not work very well anymore after just a couple years of use.  I'd definitely recommend going with wood just for durability if nothing else.

Offline Alec H

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2009, 02:04:43 PM »
Thank you all.  I'm building one of these now =D

WoodlandGhillie

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2009, 02:11:05 PM »
Please list out the materials and dimensions you used, I would like to build one myself as well!

Offline Corndogg

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • SF Parkour
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2009, 02:53:14 PM »
I'll be posting the contruction details of our vault boxes in a few days, hang tight!  ;D  8)
SF Parkour // SFPK - | Website | Forum | YouTube |
Serving the Greater San Francisco Bay Area

Offline Corndogg

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • SF Parkour
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2009, 02:19:54 PM »
Here is SFPK's "Vault Box - Construction Diagrams & Instructions"  8)

http://www.americanparkour.com/smf/index.php/topic,21648.0.html
SF Parkour // SFPK - | Website | Forum | YouTube |
Serving the Greater San Francisco Bay Area

Offline Josh Boggs

• Carpe Diem
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • To be and to last.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2010, 04:58:11 PM »
that first one is A LOTTT of money for something you could make at home
Determination is the wake up call to the human will. Remember that.

Do you think Lance Armstrong gave up? No.

My Youtube(:

You're fearless when you recognize why you should be scared of things, but do them anyway--Christian B

Offline Macgyver 0.

• Mangabey
  • "Best way out...is through" Courage Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2010, 03:57:05 PM »
That SFPK one is cool.  I might try just making boxes like that a few feet by a few feet, then I can stack or line them along eachother.

if we want a point in our lives we have to make it, if we want happiness then we have to do our best to get happy. you can be a mindless drone, or you can go out and do something great. -Texas Steve-/b]
working on Dive kong