Author Topic: MTV (Ultimate Parkour Challenge) Oct. 22nd (yes this thursday)  (Read 35704 times)

Offline Cody G

• Guenons
    • View Profile
Re: MTV (Ultimate Parkour Challenge) Oct. 22nd (yes this thursday)
« Reply #140 on: October 23, 2009, 05:20:21 AM »
I am happy for the athletes, I know if I was given the chance to travel around the country, training with my good friends (and getting paid??), I would jump on that immediately.  I hope this opens lots of opportunities for them.

Daniel I. is a beast and it has been my opinion for a while that he is the most well rounded, capable traceur in the world.  There is no "best" in parkour and all the guys on there were pretty amazing.  However Daniel A., you started that speed round so fast and nimble I was so sad to see you fall.  I laughed out loud at the fact that you finished with a tac to cat, then a big kong to roll.........then they rushed to help you....you should have been like "hello, didn't you see how I got back up and was awesome??".

The cut finger injury should never have been shown....he wasn't doing parkour, he was just....standing there... :-\

The way I see it, arguing about the show on the internet will not stop some kid from going out and hurting himself/herself.  Just try and make a difference in your local community.

Offline Andrew Hull

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Curmudgeon
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 23, 2009, 05:53:55 AM »
However Daniel A., you started that speed round so fast and nimble I was so sad to see you fall.  I laughed out loud at the fact that you finished with a tac to cat, then a big kong to roll.........then they rushed to help you....you should have been like "hello, didn't you see how I got back up and was awesome??"
bahahahaha I know you don't know danny but that TOTALLY sounds like him. oh man that made me lol.
Rely on yourself. Rely on your body. Rely on your training, instincts, and heart. Everything else is a crutch.

Quote from: Dan Kelley
Don't wear shoes.  Make the pavement bleed.

Offline EpicMovement

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 23, 2009, 06:10:47 AM »
Ha. Yeah who needs that. When we start we all want to do a truck, to refrigerator, to dumpster, 360 spin on to palates, backflip gainer onto a trash can!

HARDCORE PARKOUR!!!!

Offline Jordan Lerner

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 23, 2009, 06:22:25 AM »
... Honestly, I just liked watching all the dudes on the show being awesome. It might just be my friends, but people I show parkour to in YouTube videos either think it's cool and leave it at that or want to go out and train PROPERLY. They ask how they can learn to do "tricks," and generally are very receptive to the idea of progression. I can see more people looking for parkour communities where they live because of this show. my thoughts.
"Parkour: shift the way you move."

"LET IT BE KNOWN THAT OREGON PARKOUR IN NO WAY SUPPORTS ACCIDENTALLY DROPPING BABIES OUT OF THE WOMB DURING CAT LEAPS" - Stuuuuu

Offline Daniel Arroyo

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 23, 2009, 06:44:53 AM »
Alright, so.... Let this be my opinion and nothing else. I dont intent to argue my thoughts for a respect all of you guy's.

Although I can see where a lot of you are coming from, I think some of you might missing a point. My only regret is that any of them got hurt (not seriosuly but we all know how much it sucks) did they emphacize on the bails? Yeah they did and I am glad they did so, specially when you see them getting back up. It shows this is not joke, you CAN and WILL get hurt if not prepared. How many of us have bailed at a jam regardless of how bad or silly of a bail it was. I hope all of us, cuz that only means we are challenging and pushing ourselves and without that realization we cant really be prepared for what else might come. Ok, so this guys bailed while doing "bigger tricks" well, I am pretty sure that with the years of experience some of those "tricks" arent all that big of a deal for them. I mean, how many times have we seen Dany, Ryan, Livewire and even NoSole flipping off a roof on videos, I am not saying that is what we all should do, but isnt repetition the key to success? I do agree, some of us have way much more training to do regardless. I also agree that maybe there was much "roof/gap/drop" thrown on their words. I can also bet 20 was actually 15, 25  was actually 18 or so, they do that all the time on TV. If that is incorrect, then Day is even much more of a best for doing a 20ft kong to waist cat on his last run. Yo Daniel, do you have a more accurate estimate of the drops and gaps?

You see this guys, training for years and while on a short run they bail. Let it be a message to those who watch this and think they can go out there and try this stuff without training. They emphacize on Ryan's Fracture and I didnt mind hearing that, if you all think about it this guys demonstrated that with training and dedication no matter what the obstacle, "if you really want it bad" you will succeed and get back on your feet. On my head this are some of the most dedicated and resilient athletes I have know of.

Dany also demonstrated that PF or FR, it dont matter the name, I dont care if you say flips are inefficient or not parkour, but if he made that last run look like a walk on the park, and to me, that looked efficient. He redefined efficiency as a personal path.

I think the dudes just need to actually learn how to narrate this stuff, that was annoying as some of you said. Miss naming techniques and using the word trick like they got it for free.

Will this be a bad image for parkour? well, leds and gents, we live in a world of choices. Some will think it was reckless, those people have probably never tried anything outside the norm. Then there are those who know what breaking a sweet for what you love is means, those might think that although dangerous to the eye, this kids are probably the baddest sport man theyve ever seen.

Remember this guys, Hollywood tents to destroy the real meaning of things. It happens with ninjutsu, it happenes with skaters and BMX, it happens with bikers. So far so good for us, but dont be surprise if they start having the bad guys doing PK in the movies... oh wait, it already happened.

All I am saying is, guys, gals, it is our job as practitioners of the discipline not to preach and force people to understand what we do, but educate those who wonder.

my $35 and 2 cents.

WOW OZZI very very well put, if I was in front of you I would definitely hug you.... lol

However Daniel A., you started that speed round so fast and nimble I was so sad to see you fall.  I laughed out loud at the fact that you finished with a tac to cat, then a big kong to roll.........then they rushed to help you....you should have been like "hello, didn't you see how I got back up and was awesome??".

That is exactly how I felt but they just didn't want to be too sure. They said that my adrenaline could be covering up my true injuries so I should get X-Rays to be totally sure. (So I really didn't have much of a choice, and MTV paid for all the it so why not).

Also that last run that Daniel I. did does not do him any justice, he is much more smoother and fluid in person. Like people say there is no best but there are some people that make you say "wow that was beautiful".
"The only boundaries you have are the ones that are present with in the constraints of your mind" My quote!

Offline Daniel Arroyo

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 23, 2009, 06:53:55 AM »
Also I forgot to mention, by the end of the show the MTV representatives all actually felt and realized what Parkour was really about in the not too distant future I am sure they will trust all of our decisions in making this show emphasize upon philosophy and just the love of our movements..

Also for the people that say this was all just tricks and Free running, well we had a whole round dedicated to parkour (btw the person that won did an unecessary front roll flip thing, and still managed the fastest time).

But thank you guys for the respectable comments and the amazing support, on behalf of all the traceurs on the show we really appreciate it...
"The only boundaries you have are the ones that are present with in the constraints of your mind" My quote!

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #146 on: October 23, 2009, 07:29:44 AM »
by the end of the show the MTV representatives all actually felt and realized what Parkour was really about

I have to say this part I am critical about - the people making the show have 3 years of connection and history to the parkour community starting with me and members of the Tribe, so they have NO excuse to wait "till after the show" to have a good understanding. The people making the show had a good understanding (came and watched us jam and train) over 2 years ago. If you're going to do something, do your homework and know what you're doing. I don't blame the traceurs for how it turned out, but your last comment bothers me - why didn't you make them have an understanding of what it's really about BEFORE they made a show?
Be Useful.
If I don't try to make the world a better place, who will?
Every person has a choice - live by your fears or live by your dreams

Offline Daniel Arroyo

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 23, 2009, 07:39:43 AM »
Sorry Mark but you must be confused. The MTV representatives may have been to Jam etc but they finally portrayed to the MTV Executives that this show is much more then competition. In the past the tried to tell them but truthfully speaking executives only stay behind a desk and make shots and never go into the field to see the true meaning of things.. So after the show was finally cut and the Executives got a chance to see it, they heard/felt the philosophy behind it and gave them a better understanding that this is much more...

I just said representatives because I figured most people on here really wouldn't identify the difference between Representatives and the big guys that call the shots from a far..
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 07:41:50 AM by Daniel Arroyo »

Offline Bryce`

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 23, 2009, 09:31:26 AM »
Glad to see your alright Daniel! That looked like a horrible fall on the TV screen, thankfully it wasn't. :)

My review on the show: (Not that anybody really cares)

Like many have said before, they should'v talked about how much training goes into the movements that were potrayed.

The place where it took place obviously wasn't very safe.. with a bunch of injuries within the first few minutes.

The judging sucked.. nuff said.

I think it should'v been ultimate freerunning challenge really, because if you wanted to win a challenge (Excluding round 2 - that was my favorite part) you had to do several flips, which isn't really what parkour is about.

Now, one question.. is this going to be a series, or a one time thing ? If it's going to be a series then I understand that they need to have a thrilling, daring episode to get good reviews.. but if it isn't... >.>

Enough of my rambling, congrats to everyone on the show and congrats to Ilabaca

Grant.Miller

« Reply #149 on: October 23, 2009, 09:35:43 AM »
I had one problem, only. The fact that is was hosted by Nitro Circus. Aside from that, it was an amazing show. I'm glad you came out of that alright Danny. Daniel Ilabaca is amazing. And rooftops are very useful for putting your fears into their place. So it was a pretty awesome show.

Offline Ozzi

• Sexability Head Coach
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • HIpk
    • View Profile
    • Hawaii Parkour
« Reply #150 on: October 23, 2009, 10:53:38 AM »
Yo Daniel, do you have a more accurate estimate of the drops and gaps messurement?
"Be the change you want to see in the world"
 Ghandi

Offline Jordan Lerner

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: October 23, 2009, 11:08:49 AM »
Yo Daniel, do you have a more accurate estimate of the drops and gaps messurement?
I'm curious about that too
"Parkour: shift the way you move."

"LET IT BE KNOWN THAT OREGON PARKOUR IN NO WAY SUPPORTS ACCIDENTALLY DROPPING BABIES OUT OF THE WOMB DURING CAT LEAPS" - Stuuuuu

Offline S Leger

• Mangabey
  • I move for him because he died for me
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: October 23, 2009, 11:48:45 AM »
Is there a way i could watch this or is it coming on again because i missed it and it sounds awesome?
I'm a treysaur for God!

Looking for new music?  Check out my music blog!  http://www.gnewmusic.blogspot.com

Offline NikAs

• Patas
  • Parkour
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: October 23, 2009, 12:05:20 PM »
S leger i think it might be on tonight not sure, and Dan how bad did that fall hurt if you dont mind me asking. I also kind of enjoyed watching the show especially round 2.
Aero parkour
Chicago

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #154 on: October 23, 2009, 12:54:57 PM »
Here in Hawaii it's on again Sunday at 6 pm. Check your local listings.

I didn't get to see the whole show. I was very bummed to see all the injuries.
So that's what - half of the guys had nasty bails? [Plus re-runs of Ryan's BarclayCard fall]

Congrats to everyone who participated. I hope you all healed up ok.

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #155 on: October 23, 2009, 01:06:24 PM »
Daniel, I probably have a better understanding of the process then you might think ;)

I'm sorry, but there is no excuse to say "They made a show and then understood what it was about".

Again, I'm not blaming the participants of the show, I am blaming the people who made it.

Look at Jump London and Jump Britain, do you think that afterwards the "Big guys who call the shots" looked back and said "Wow, this parkour thing is really cool" ???

If they are putting a show on their network it is their responsibility to understand what that show is about, no matter where they sit.
Be Useful.
If I don't try to make the world a better place, who will?
Every person has a choice - live by your fears or live by your dreams

Offline Andy Keller

• Oh baby baby.
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Lancaster, PA
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #156 on: October 23, 2009, 01:35:25 PM »
I had one problem, only. The fact that is was hosted by Nitro Circus. Aside from that, it was an amazing show. I'm glad you came out of that alright Danny. Daniel Ilabaca is amazing. And rooftops are very useful for putting your fears into their place. So it was a pretty awesome show.

I see your reasoning for saying this, but I heavily disagree. Fear should be controlled through progression and repetition to achieve confidence, not daredevilry in an attempt to totally eliminate it. Fear is a tool that should be used to protect us.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 01:37:04 PM by Andy Keller »
"Do it, do it well, do it well and fast."

Offline Matthew Wang

• Total Awesome
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • July 1st, 2008 - My first day of training
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: October 23, 2009, 02:43:30 PM »
My thoughts on the show:

Everything felt rushed. All the challenges went by so fast. Cramming everything into one little hour didn't allow full display of how everything went about.

TOO MANY INJURIES!!! Sure, this shows everyone that the dangers of PK/FR are very real, but the amount of injuries was ridiculous, imo. But this just kind of proves peoples' point when they say "You know you're going to eventually slip and get hurt right?" and discourages learning.

Livewire's handstands were beast.

Danny, it sucked to watch you get knocked out the first round.

I knew in my bones that Danny Ilabaca was going to win. :P

MTV just HAD to make there be roof gaps. Not to mention 20-30 feet ones...

The only thing that bothered me was the whole atmosphere and feel of the show. Everyone seemed so serious and pressured into performing their best.     

That's exactly how I feel. That is why I believe there were so many injuries. No one had time to take the proper training measures to ensure they stuck a move safely :(

Quote from: Ozzi
Well, leds and gents, we live in a world of choices. Some will think it was reckless, those people have probably never tried anything outside the norm. Then there are those who know what breaking a sweet for what you love is means, those might think that although dangerous to the eye, this kids are probably the baddest sport man theyve ever seen.

Quoted Ozzi. Couldn't have said it better.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 02:54:31 PM by Matthew W »
http://www.washingtonparkour.com/
Need something Washington Parkour related?
matt@washingtonparkour.com
washington@americanparkour.com
10 PUSH UPS OR 5 PULL UPS PER POST

Offline RamounC.

• Guenons
  • well, you see...
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: October 23, 2009, 03:23:37 PM »
MTV should've just followed you guys around while you trained if they really want to "show" parkour to the public. The show sort of made parkour seem like a reckless activity as opposed to it being safe. it doesn't show how we train and practice moves over and over again until we have mastered it. In my opinion a documentary about you guys and parkour would have been better than a competition. 
Sprained ankle. =P

ichisato

« Reply #159 on: October 23, 2009, 03:40:05 PM »
i jusyt hope MTV doesn't think they OWN parkour or control it. it is free and owned by noone.