Author Topic: Im not Fat, I'm Husky! (INTRODUCE YOURSELF)  (Read 54891 times)

Offline Brian Rowe

• Patas
    • View Profile
Re: Im not Fat, I'm Husky! (INTRODUCE YOURSELF)
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2009, 02:22:45 PM »
Brian here. I'm 5'11" and weigh about 185 lbs. I have a little extra cushion, but I'm fairly wide-bodied and muscular. The funny part is that most of it is packed in from the waist down.

When I saw this, I was trying to think of how my body-type could be an advantage. So far, all I can come up with is the the ability to carry heavy things. I'm the default choice for helping friends move and pushing cars out of snowbanks. I've even been kicking around the idea of training with a sandbag.

Offline Aaron Hrinda

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2009, 02:42:07 PM »
I totally understand where you're coming from.
When I was in the Marines, the lowest I ever got my 3 mile was 22:30.

I had lots of friends that were faster, but being the big guy meant you
could go about the same speed carrying someone.

Training with a sandbag was something we did a lot. It sucks, but it makes you strong.
 the best way to do it is find a good pack that you can secure to yourself well to limit movement,
and just go with it.

Actually carrying the bag on your shoulder is how we usually did it though. That adds an extra
special layer of suck to the training.

Now, a PK sandbag run could be interesting. Make your bag really really secure, and it is your cargo.
carry it with you, toss it, etc. Just bring it home.

Also make sure you explain what it is if the police stop you.

"être fort pour être utile"
                           -Georges Hébert 
  ▲
▲ ▲

Offline BearMills

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Grizzly
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2009, 06:24:16 PM »
I totally understand where you're coming from.
When I was in the Marines, the lowest I ever got my 3 mile was 22:30.

I had lots of friends that were faster, but being the big guy meant you
could go about the same speed carrying someone.

Training with a sandbag was something we did a lot. It sucks, but it makes you strong.
 the best way to do it is find a good pack that you can secure to yourself well to limit movement,
and just go with it.

Actually carrying the bag on your shoulder is how we usually did it though. That adds an extra
special layer of suck to the training.

Now, a PK sandbag run could be interesting. Make your bag really really secure, and it is your cargo.
carry it with you, toss it, etc. Just bring it home.

Also make sure you explain what it is if the police stop you.

Hmm instead of a sandbag I would use a weighted vest just because running around an urban environment with a hefty sandbag could lead to some bad back problems
Co-Founder

Offline Aaron Hrinda

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2009, 06:30:13 PM »
Hmm instead of a sandbag I would use a weighted vest just because running around an urban environment with a hefty sandbag could lead to some bad back problems

That would be best. But carrying something with you is a good functional training idea. Maybe not a sandbag though.
 Like I said, we used to run with one, and a lot of it is listening to your body.

We used to do an indian run: single file, throw pass the sandbag back through the line, last one sprints to the front.
 It sucked, but it was good times too.
"être fort pour être utile"
                           -Georges Hébert 
  ▲
▲ ▲

Offline Trevor

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2009, 07:00:53 PM »
I would totally train with a sand bag but like Alex said, back problems.

But if I could afford it I'd definitely buy a weighted vest. Or maybe even a kevlar under my sweatshirt, cause if I remember correctly I could get a heavy kevlar for like 50 bucks.

I honestly have one major goal in life, and I will do whatever I can to accomplish it.

Offline Jerald Donald Konkel

• Mangabey
  • Land softly and Roll Smoothly
    • View Profile
    • PunKurac Parkour
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2009, 10:00:45 PM »
Hey..... I'm late, I know..... and I don't think I fit in since I am kinda slimmer and lighter than all you guys.....no pun intended

But in my defense, When I started Parkour, about a year ago.... and only seriously getting into it 6 months ago..... I used to weigh alot more.... most of it fat, not that much muscle. But I used to weigh 220 lbs. Now I weigh 160 lbs.... Of course riding my mountain bike helped too, but I like to say Parkour is Mainly to blame for my weight loss.

"We're Apes, not monkeys" GPK
"Get off the roof, for your own safety" APK Roof Police

Offline wes

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2009, 12:31:21 AM »
Im from Oklahoma and im 5'10 and way around 200 yeah nothing special lol :P
"All kind of knowledge, eventually becomes self knowledge" - Bruce Lee

Offline Ryan Nicolai

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Notorius Buttmunch
    • View Profile
    • Hehehe
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2009, 05:44:02 PM »
I'm Ryan, I'm 6'2ish and weigh in at about 190lbs. I weighed about 230lbs a year ago but dropped about 45lbs in a few months. So far I've been able to keep the weight off even with my training taking constant hits from injuries over the year. I'm not a huge guy, but I could lose another 10 or 15lbs of fat. That might be wrong, I don't know my current BMI. In the next year I hope to add some muscle weight, maybe 10 or 20lbs. Not sure if that's realistic though.

So... What's up?

“The character that takes command in moments of crucial choices has already been determined by a thousand other choices made earlier in seemingly unimportant moments." ~ Ronald Reagan

Offline Jose "ballzy" Baliño

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 03, 2009, 05:20:21 PM »
hello there from eagle pass,tx my name is jose and friends call me ballzy or balls or ballsy whichever dont mater im 16 yrs old and a junior at high school im 5'11 and weigh 220 started doing parkour in the summer although i didnt do much til the start of october my first trick which im still working on is b-twist and my first move would be a lazy vault 

"Because you might as well be dead. Seriously, if you always put limits on what you can do, physical or anything else, it'll spread over into the rest of your life. It'll spread limits into your work, into your morality, int

Offline Mitch Hamilton

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2009, 02:40:07 PM »
Whatsup Ballzy, I use to live in Dumas TX, dunno how far that is from Eagles pass. But im in GA now D:. ohwell. ANYWAY! WELCOME!

Offline RB

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Iraq blows!
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2009, 09:01:26 AM »
so i think id be more of an orangatan if anything but thats not really an option. im not a 100% sure i fit in here but i know i dont fit in with the 150lb 5'5" monkeys that dominate parkour. im 6'4" 190lbs but the thing is im trying to gain weight, my goal is around 215. ive been putting on good lean mass at about 1-1.5lbs a week for about 6 weeks.

im in the army currently deployed in Iraq (lame) and the only thing to do is lift weights and im tired of being the gangley bastard.

before the army i was very involved in Pankration (i cut down and competed at 160) and tooled around in other martial arts when i could.

i kinda feel silly posting on here because i hardly have any opporitunity to train PK here but i do what i can and i want to take it more seriously when i get back stateside.
There's nothing wrong with anything.

Offline Mitch Hamilton

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2009, 01:55:04 PM »
Well Welcome along for the Ride RB. Any idea when you will becoming back to the US? ANyways parkour is an amazing activity you should definitely take part in! Especially us big guys. Nothings cooler than seeing some 230lb+ guy flying over walls and picnic tables :P. In reality though its amazing that alot more of us bigger guys are getting involved. In the beginning there were only the tiny little shrimp kids who practiced to become a traceur. A group like Gorilla parkour is here to help bigger guys like you an me too. In more ways than you can imagine.
So goodluck over there and cant wait to hear back from ya!

Offline RB

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • Iraq blows!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2009, 09:40:13 AM »
Cool! thanks for the welcome. i wont be back in the states till the end of summer but i like to look at this time till then to focus on building up my bodys strength endurance and agility.
There's nothing wrong with anything.

Offline Faithkeeper

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 26, 2009, 05:13:50 PM »
Greetings.

I was doing parkour for a while, reading these boards and such. I self taught myself the basic vaults (speed, monkey, kong, stuff like that not to mention this thing that idk what it is, where you put your and on the other side of the wall and you flip over the wall... name please?) and have been doing precisions and jumping around on jungle gyms since I was a small fry and didn't know it had a name. Everything was good until I damaged a friend's truck trying to jump into the back. I paid for it (as a good friend would) but it took all of my free money and some of my savings. I was also lucky not to get hurt. My parents were freaking out, and I like to keep them in good graces, so I basically gave up on parkour. I tried to stay in shape (I was done with sports a few weeks earlier) but I lost interest because I had nothing I was working towards and have since gained ~10lbs. [I was in good shape beforehand, I could see my abs without flexing and was exercising daily] For Christmas, my parents said they trusted me, gave me some martial arts shoes (great grip) and said they trusted me to be as safe as possible with this. I was rather pleased.

I'm 5'11, ~215lbs, bmi says I'm obese(I disagree, I'm just the broad shoulders, big arms/legs, and spartan calves type), I think I qualify as a gorilla.
Jesus saves.

I have no special gift, I am just passionately curious.
-Albert Einstein

Offline BearMills

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Grizzly
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 26, 2009, 07:23:06 PM »
Hey welcome Faithkeeper yup you qualify welcome to GPK
Co-Founder

Offline Faithkeeper

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 26, 2009, 08:48:49 PM »
Hey welcome Faithkeeper yup you qualify welcome to GPK

Thanks for the welcome, it is appreciated.
Jesus saves.

I have no special gift, I am just passionately curious.
-Albert Einstein

Offline Mitch Hamilton

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 27, 2009, 12:01:36 PM »
Well Welcome faithkeeper. Hope ya stay with us for a while!

Offline Brian A. Prince

• Guenons
    • View Profile
    • My Illustration Gallery
« Reply #37 on: December 27, 2009, 01:56:22 PM »
Hello!!

I'm a little late to this but I blame myself for not being on the forums enough.

My name is Brian Prince from Atlanta Ga and I have been doing Parkour for about a Year and a Half.  I don't know if you could call me Gorilla Pk Material but after reading what it is all about I can relate with the entire philosophy.  I am 6'9" tall and way about 210lbs. For my entire life I played basketball just like my older brother because I'm tall.  I never really cared for the sport and as soon as I had a say I stopped playing.  I picked up parkour early summer 2008 and like most other Gorilla Pk guys I was met with the realization that Pk might be easier for smaller people but I didn't let that stop me. 

Even though my size makes it hard sometimes I do my best to use it to my advantage.  When It comes to smaller obsticles I still try to get through them and when people tell me that I might be to tall I yell back "Height is only an excuse" and do it anyway.  I would love to join you guys at helping to spread the word about Gorilla Pk because Parkour is for everybody and we are proof of that.

Being 6'9" tall, I say that height is not an excuse, merely a tool :)

Offline BearMills

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Grizzly
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 27, 2009, 03:25:47 PM »
Holy shit!!! 6'9"!! im 6'6'' I understand what you mean I feel really tall for a traceur. It's great to have you join don't get blinded by the description of all big guys it's if you consider yourself bigger Muscle mass/height. Im glad you didn't give up and strived to prove everybody wrong. It's great to have you here Brian!
Co-Founder

Offline Mitch Hamilton

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 27, 2009, 03:55:38 PM »
DAmn your taller than me Alex.
WELCOME BRIAN! Im F2 and I live here In collumbus. Bout a two hour drive from ATL :P.