Author Topic: Im not Fat, I'm Husky! (INTRODUCE YOURSELF)  (Read 56612 times)

Offline dana romero

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Re: Im not Fat, I'm Husky! (INTRODUCE YOURSELF)
« Reply #220 on: November 14, 2013, 09:00:59 AM »
Hi I'm Dana
I'm 5'3 ft tall
about 90 kg about 200 lbs (last time I checked)
I joined APK a while ago and never really posted anything
I have been dying to want to try to do free running
but as you can see I'm overweight for a girl my size
and every time I try to go out and jog I feel awkward and some people would tease :I
I'm not extremely out of shape I can do a 5 second handstand and if in the mood can do a the get up ._.
but I can't find motivation and honestly I'm running out of esteem
But I'm still trying :D
It will pay off I know it :)

Offline kosh19

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: January 04, 2014, 12:22:49 AM »
Hi I'm Johnny, I'm from Southampton England. I'm new to all this but I really want to start parkour. I'm 25, 6 foot and weigh about 250 pounds at the moment. I have trouble supporting my own body weight though, I was wondering if anyone had any specific exercises to help with that? many thanks, and nice to meet you all.

Offline Nick Holmes

• Global Moderator
  • Mangabey
  • APK Ambassador
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: January 04, 2014, 07:36:49 PM »
Hello, Johnny, welcome to American Parkour  :)There is a topic similar to your post that you might gain some insight from without us repeating ourselves  :P . There'sa sticky thread on this board for a beginner's work out routine to which I would add that if you choose to run or walk it would be much better for your joints, since you have trouble supporting your own weight, to do so on grass instead if hard surfaces.

You can track your progress and stay motivated by starting a training log on this board. It's also handy if you have frequent questions about your training.

The perfect excercise to get better at supporting your own body weight would be the squat. If you want to lift weights the squat is essential. It is important though to make sure that you have good form.

If you don't mind me asking, did you get interested from watching James Kingston's Southampton crane climb video? I've heard many people over there have watched it.

Good luck out there, be safe, and most importantly, have fun.
Real supermen don't leap over buildings in a single bound, they take determined steps consistently over time
Twitter

Offline ohmygoshman

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: September 16, 2014, 11:57:01 AM »
Hey all,

My name is Sarah, I just moved to the Boston area in April and started taking parkour classes in July. I started with one class a week and am now taking 3 classes a week plus trying to train at least once a week outside of class. What can I say... I'm in love.

Despite the title of this thread, I consider myself fat, but I don't think that's a bad thing and I'm not trying to be thin. I'm interested in parkour personally because I'm interested in the idea of functional movement and politically because I'm interested in exploring the capabilities of fat bodies when not consistently discouraged from physical pursuits and/or when those pursuits are not undertaken with the intention of losing weight.

I'm posting here because I'm really interested in meeting folks of larger sizes who have been training for a long time. While all bodies are different, I don't have any good sense of what my journey might look like due to lack of role models to whom I can relate, and I suspect that finding more people of size in the community would be really helpful for me personally. That being said, I fully intend to become one of those role models, but if you fit these criteria and are interested in talking about this stuff, please feel free to ping me.

Thanks all, and I look forward to being a part of the community.