Author Topic: Im not Fat, I'm Husky! (INTRODUCE YOURSELF)  (Read 64676 times)

Offline Ian Want

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
Re: Im not Fat, I'm Husky! (INTRODUCE YOURSELF)
« Reply #200 on: June 17, 2012, 03:12:25 AM »
Welcome Chris and Ed!

Sorry, I would normally post a more personal intro to this thread, but I have been running on little free time lately!

Anyways! STOKED to have you guys here taking those first steps to training

Ed- Safety is key here with everything! Being a heavier guy (like I was) you want to focus on some key things here; not bending your knees passed the 90 degree mark, getting your pk roll down as tight as possible, and always remember RUN, JUMP, and LAND on the balls of your feet/toes as much as possible. All these things will prevent those nagging injuries like shin splints, bad falls, bruised heels, compressed ankles, etc. I'd suggest learning your basic vaults first; Kong, Dash, Speed, Reverse but mostly you can start off with the safety vault (safety step) and the lazy vault. Great moves to get you started and moving! If you need any more advice, feel free to find me on FB or message me more on these forums!

Chris - Take it easy with that asthma! There are always spots to train, just got to look hard enough! =) Keep me updated on your progress!

Offline Robert Lindstrom

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • The secret to success? Two words: Keep going.
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube Account
« Reply #201 on: June 20, 2012, 12:10:34 PM »
No, no I'm not husky.  I'm fat.

My name's Bob, and I'm 5'7", and 314 lbs.  I've lost 40 pounds since the beginning of this year, and I'm learning parkour to achieve what every fat guy wants:  to be comfortable in their own skin.

Offline Danny Hall

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: July 10, 2012, 01:07:57 PM »
I'm probably gonna be one of the smaller guys in this group, since I'm 6 feet tall and weigh around 190 pounds. But I'm still one of the bigger guys I know. That should qualify me, shouldn't it?  :-\
Be like water making its way through cracks.

Offline Quentin Serling

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: August 20, 2012, 02:49:14 PM »
I'm just starting to take an active interest in Parkour,  My name is Quentin, just call me Q.  I've loved watching free running, but haven't really had access to to many motivations to put in the effort.  But my wife and I are about to have a son soon, and I decided that passing on something healthy would be great so now I just need to figure out a starting workout for myself to get really into a pattern.
I am a heavier guy, so this is actually the first time I've seen a group that actually encourages larger runners.

Offline Joshua Lehmiller

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: September 01, 2012, 12:18:53 AM »
I HAVE FOUND MY PEOPLE

I'm a 5'7, 200Lb guy who started in about......late January, early February, with a couple breaks between then and now. I'm not fat/husky so much as dense--well, I am a bit fat, but not so much. I come from a long line of guys with heavy muscles, so my parkour techniques can be a bit unusual. In point of fact, it's been commented that I look a bit like a gorilla, especially when I do quadrepedal, as--on softer terrain--I'll tend to walk about on my fists, rather than my palms.
As such, it's a bit funny to meet a sub-group of people who are similar, although this area of the forums seems to be dying, a bit....
Anyway, hello!

Oh, and I'm also diabetic. (Type one.....shut up.....) Which makes parkour rather.....interesting. I'll go scan for some kind of disease subforum to talk about that, though.

Offline nikolai

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: September 04, 2012, 06:41:59 PM »
Hi im niko i started parkour a couple weeks ago ssince then ive lost about ten pounds im now 6-3 and 238 pounds about and constantly improving ive learned three basicvault wall run tic tac high jutacmp rolls crane jump cat grAb and I'm hoping to learn some more advanced vaults soon and I've been getting better andd feeling better and since i started I've had more energy confidence and power them ever i just hope it'll stop raining soon so i can go sesh unfortunately there's few places around my home town there's a few good places and a good old playground that's normally empty to practice on ( its pretty big surprisingly with alot of high jumps rails and Etc.

Offline Kyle Clemons

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: September 19, 2012, 08:19:26 AM »
thanks guys  :) I'm glad everyone is friendly. I've been working on some stuff, i want to be able to precision farther, and any advice on flips? i can do them in a gym nowhere else though

Offline Justin Shanks

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: September 20, 2012, 12:28:35 PM »
Hello I'm Justin,
I started training parkour regularly a year ago but due to location haven't been able to really train.
I'm husky but at the same time short so I dunno is i'm a "gorilla", 5'7" and I weigh 190 pounds.
I hope you'll have me.
-Justin
The key to parkour (besides confidence) is diet, which is why I only eat vegetables, I recommend broccoli and a large variety of pizza.

Offline Jimmie Roan

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: November 10, 2012, 11:15:12 AM »
I'm 6' and 230 lbs, so I'd say I'm close to a gorilla. I've lost 100 lbs over the last two years, taken up running and cycling, and am now lifting weights. I've been nervous about trying parkour, not only because of my weight but because I'm 47 years old.
Someone at NerdFitness posted a link to this group and I decided, hell, if other big guys can do it, so can I.

My neighbors already think I'm strange with some of the plyometrics and some of the odd lifting i do. Can't wait to see their reaction when I start climbing and jumping over things.

Offline Joshua Lehmiller

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: November 22, 2012, 11:46:36 PM »
My neighbors already think I'm strange with some of the plyometrics and some of the odd lifting i do. Can't wait to see their reaction when I start climbing and jumping over things.

Or the quadrupedal movement! You're in for a treat(as are your friends).....

Offline Tesh

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: December 08, 2012, 10:06:20 PM »
Hi my name is Ritesh and I am 6' with 212 lb an even though I have wanted to start parkour since I was 10 due to no parental support, I haven't done anything but now that I'm in highschool I'm going to do parkour on my own and hopefully with enough pesistance be able to get them to enroll me in a by but for now its the park and the backyard for me.
"Do or do not, there is no try."
-Jedi Master Yoda
"Just do it"
-Nike

Offline Eric Kangas

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: January 23, 2013, 10:20:17 PM »
Hello fellow Gorillas!

I'm Eric. 5'11" and approximately 225. I have a bigger build in general so it's a little weird to do 'normal' moves. I started my battle when I was just out of high school and just over 300. I am an avid cyclist and I'm trying to get more into running and jogging for the sake of parkour. It's been a passion of mine for several years and I'm starting a little later than MANY traceurs but I feel it's a journey worth taking.
Think back to when you were a kid, jumping off benches and climbing trees for fun. Fitness used to be fun and natural, something we achieved without consciously trying. Fitness is for everyone, no matter what your goals are. Movement is the foundation of any physically fit lifestyle.

Offline BearMills

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Grizzly
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: February 05, 2013, 10:16:31 AM »
Just thought I'd tell you it makes me happy coming back on here and seeing these posts. Welcome to the group :D
Co-Founder

Offline Ian Want

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: February 06, 2013, 04:01:06 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtyBTdXdPNU

Me know! 165, and jumpy =D Hope it inspires you folks!

Offline Mark

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: February 06, 2013, 05:31:28 PM »
Ian, congrats! I saw in a previous post that you started at 230.. very impressive..  I hope to follow in a similar path as yours, but I'd be happy just hitting 180 I think..

Guess a little introduction...  Last year about this time I weighed about 220 (I'm 6 ft) over the summer I was able to drop to 209 by just being active, then fearing I would put it back on during the winter I've been hitting the gym and after today I'm 197..  :)

As far as parkour training I've been taking it very slow mostly just conditioning work, hand stands and quadrupedal movement mostly. But I have been practicing small percision jumps on the tiles in my hallway floor just to get a feel for it..

I'm happy to meet everyone here..

Mark

Offline Christopher Dolan

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: February 21, 2013, 07:03:23 PM »
What's up, gang? I was just about to exasperatedly tweet Ryan Ford complaining there was no good advice geared toward larger traceurs, when I decided to actually *look for some*. Here I am! =)

My name's Chris.
I'm 6'4".
I weigh 224 today.
I'm 31 years old.

Like many members introducing themselves here, I lost a lot of weight just to be able to train parkour.
It was this video that inspired me to drop down from 324 to 197.
I'm dieting back down now. Being physically smaller was good for my confidence.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fouvwilGWc" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fouvwilGWc</a>

I've been training at Tempest and on my own since last August. Injuries and the start-up lifestyle have slowed my training down significantly. I'm here to recommit.

Offline mohammed muzammil

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: May 03, 2013, 11:04:51 PM »
Hi...name muzammil...you can call me moose...im 115kg...6" tall from malaysia...new in parkour..

Offline Nick Stone

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: May 11, 2013, 05:30:52 PM »
Hello everybody!
I'm Nick Stone. I am 6'3 and about 230 lbs. I think most of the weight is muscle, but I still know there's some there that stands to be lost.
I've been practicing Parkour on and off for about a year, but have just recently gotten serious about it. I can do most basic moves comfortably, though I feel that my roll needs work honestly.  :-\
Anyways, I've previously played Football(the American kind) and weightlifting. I can bench 255 and squat 455, but I feel like I run slow and need to work on my speed and endurance for Parkour.
Well, enough about me. I hope to get to know you guys and be apart of this awesome group of big fellows like me  :)

Offline michael kugler

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: August 27, 2013, 11:58:19 AM »
Hey, I'm back!

Still 6'2", but I've lost a bit of weight since I was last here- I'm now only 235 lbs.

Just a question, but has anyone else had a problem with kongs re: their feet dangling too low, no matter how high your knees are pulled?

Offline Matija Ambrož

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: September 09, 2013, 12:29:08 PM »
Did not see this section before. I am from slovenia 190cm (6'3'') and weigh about 83kg (180lbs). I trained for 3 months now and I hurt my knees Im thinking pateral tendonitis due to overuse. I am working on flexibility at the moment. My first trick was speed vault and safety roll.