Author Topic: Im not Fat, I'm Husky! (INTRODUCE YOURSELF)  (Read 64909 times)

Offline Chad Sylvester

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Re: Im not Fat, I'm Husky! (INTRODUCE YOURSELF)
« Reply #180 on: December 21, 2011, 03:39:16 PM »
not sure if i fit in here or not, Im chad im 5'10" 210lbs and hopeing pk will trim me down to my highschool weight of 160ish.

Offline Ian Want

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: December 21, 2011, 10:57:36 PM »
Welcome, chad!

It helps tons! I started my first year of parkour at a solid 230 and am now easily 170. Stick with it and you'll get there!

Offline Chad Sylvester

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: December 22, 2011, 05:16:59 AM »
Thanks Ian! and thats good to hear, so there is a chance for me!! :D

Offline Ian Want

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: December 23, 2011, 12:11:51 PM »
Always! =D

Offline Kyle Clemons

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: January 02, 2012, 12:55:04 PM »
My names Kyle and Im about 230 lbs. i am a self taught freerunner and traceur. i can do all vaults and i recently did my first kong. I've been training flips and stuff. WFPF member Marvin Ross mentored me for a bit. he wasn't part of the WFPF then. lol and i met Daniel Arroyo. i try to study everyone's movement and add a piece of it to mine. and i try to stick to the philosophy of these two passions of mine, pk and fr

Offline Chad Sylvester

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: January 02, 2012, 02:01:19 PM »
WELCOME Kyle!!

Offline Ian Want

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: January 02, 2012, 04:18:32 PM »
Hey Kyle! Welcome! I bet it was cool to meet them. They are pretty talented guys!

Offline Miles Hill

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: March 20, 2012, 07:18:04 AM »
Hey guys I am reviving this thread!  I am 6'3 285 pounds and I just recently started parkour a few weeks ago.  I got into it because I do different martial arts like kickboxing, jiujitsu, judo, and karate.  I still have a lot of work to do, although I don't know how much weight I can lose, I honestly think that if I lost all of my fat I would be 230-240 at least.  I've been practicing tricking and I can do butterfly kicks, tornado kicks, and some other weird moves I can't name.  As far as parkour and free running goes, all I can really do are lazy vaults, jumps to rolls, and I have been practicing on my balance and far/high jumps.  My biggest problem is my lack of hang time/hops.  My biggest advantage is my extreme flexibility.  I can do a fulll front split and almost a full side split.  I am glad to have joined this forum and happy that I found others like me.  I am sick and tired of people telling me I am too big to do stuff.  I used to skateboard a few years ago and I got that everywhere I went but now I get it for parkour too.

Offline Ian Want

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: March 20, 2012, 08:28:35 PM »
Awesome my friend! Glad to have you here! Like i say to everyone that steps in here, if I can do it, YOU CAN TOO!

Can't wait to see your progress. I bet it will be intense!

Offline Miles Hill

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: March 22, 2012, 03:05:54 PM »
Thanks man.  Training is hard but extremely fun. 

Offline Ian Edie

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: March 28, 2012, 01:21:45 PM »
Hey guys!

I'm 6'3" 235 lbs at the moment, been doing Parkour for... 4 days now   :o , and I love it. I've always loved doing this kind of stuff as a kid (even though back then it was just being a kid =D ) and I finally decided to stop just watching videos and making excuses and give it a shot.

Been starting out with vaults on rails and jersey barriers, precision and high jumps, focusing on form, and trying to get my roll smooth (back is a little misshapen) and so far I'm very happy with my progress. I've been doing what I can of some of the Demon's Drills (I really like the rail workout) and I am really sore, but not to the point of where I don't want to do anything.

My background:

Currently in the Oregon Army National Guard, been in for 4 years, served a tour in Iraq as a 50cal gunner on an MRAP, my current job is an Armored Truck driver, various martial arts experience and extremely lazy ><. I love Guitar, Freestyle Flatland BMX, and Parkour!

-Ian

Offline michael kugler

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: April 05, 2012, 01:49:39 AM »
Hey, put an intro in the main thread, but I'll go for a more in-depth one here-

I'm Michael, 20 years old, 6' 2" and roughly 250 lbs last I checked. I think I'm in the minority here, as I really don't mind my weight, I just want to have functional muscle instead of flab. I have a light backround in martial arts- A little bit of Karate, a little more Kung Fu. I ended up having to quit the one because I moved, and the other I got fed up with because despite the instructor's suprise that an overweight white boy could actually do something other than waddle, he decided to focus on the guys who came in lean instead. I got interested in Parkour a while back as a potential way to get over my fear of falling [In the second grade, I jumped off a swing, my arm got caught in the chain somehow and snapped the wrist clean in two, then I somehow twisted and landed on the same wrist I'd just broken... Yeah], and I just decided to go ahead and join the boards the other day.

Offline Ian Want

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: April 06, 2012, 03:01:13 PM »
Hey Ian and Michael!

Welcome to the boards! I hope you guys find the inspiration you need to stay motivated here!

Trust me, keeping with it regardless of what others say or think is absolutely worth it!

Offline Ian Edie

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: April 07, 2012, 11:43:17 PM »
Been doing Parkour for about a week and a half and I already feel better, I'm lucky to have a few nice playgrounds to practice on, even through my favorite is packed all the time and everyone is pointing going "Whoa check that dude out" But I don't mind. The kids think it's awesome, had a game of follow the leader going on and I didn't even know it. (Thankfully the kids were smart enough to not try the bigger stuff, i.e. vaulting off the bridge and jumping up the little mini rock climbing "wall")

So far it's been a positive and uplifting experience that I do intend to continue, only had one negative encounter with some skater punks, and even that turned out to be kind of funny. Apparently they thought I was trying to show them up so one kid decided he had to backflip out of a swing. He didn't seriously hurt himself, just got the wind knocked out of him.

So far I've been focusing on vaults and landings mostly. I worked on rolling the first few days, pinched a muscle in my back, so giving that a few more days to heal before I practice more. Was doing precision jumps too, and then I had to spontaneously decide to try it in the middle of my work day and ended up pulling a muscle, so now I am mostly stretching and going easy. Vaulting is still fun hehe.

-Ian

Offline Tucker13

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: April 09, 2012, 10:41:34 PM »
Hi im tucker and im husky. (pause for replys)

but in all seriousness ive watched my weight float from 210lbs to 290lbs (my peak after my knee surgery). im 5'9 roughly and ive been training the philosphy behind parkour for 2 years now and ive been training the movement for maybe 6-8months all together. i had dislocated my knee and sheered the muscle off my knee so when i first started training and watched the weight melt off 2 years ago i felt good untill my accident now ive watched 40lbs melt off in about 6months since i started my dieting and training and im finally posting in here even tho ive lurked forever. if anyone has any specified workouts that are great for us husky people i would be greatly interested so feel free to pm me or post in my training thread feel free

Offline Yassin Ahmed

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: April 12, 2012, 03:36:19 PM »
Hey Guys!
My name is Yassin Ahmed and I'm 16 230 lbs and 5'10' last I checked. I thought about parkour as a potential way to lose some weight. I have seen parkour and have always wanted to become involved and I always thought it was a sport for the smaller guys.. It wasn't until about 3 days ago I saw this forum, and since I have been starting working out. I've been swimming for about a month in order to get some exercise, and I personally think my cardio has increased.
Excited to join the Gorilla gang  :) ;D

Offline Harry

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: April 16, 2012, 11:42:07 AM »
Hey Guys, I'm new to gorilla pk. My name is Harry I weigh 206 and am 5'10 I'm not massive I know but I'm also 14 (I'm still growing) I'm losing weight and hope to be around 180-175 by the time my cut is done. I've wanted to do parkour for about a year but never thought big people could... I'm so pumped to start parkour!

Offline Ian Want

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: April 17, 2012, 07:49:57 PM »
Dude, welcome everyone! I'm so stoked to see so many husky guys joining with the intent on changing their lives! If you guys have any questions or advice I'd be happy to help! Just hit me up on here or on FB.

I started in this thread so I'm stoked for everyone who is ready to make some changes!

Offline Christopher William Thomson

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: April 30, 2012, 01:56:04 PM »
Hello, I'm Chris and weigh in at somewhere around 215 lbs., some muscle, some fat. Before I started weightlifting this year, I actually weighed about 190 lbs., most of it fat. I consider my self overweight because I will be turning 16 this year. I started to like parkour 2 or so years ago and my favorite moves are the speed and kong vaults. I cannot actively participate in parkour at the moment because of my location, its completely flat around here and the buildings allow no moves except tic tacs and wallflip type tricks. Over the summer I plan on losing some weight and running a lot. I also play soccer and will be trying out for the team next year, hopefully.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I am 5'8-'9 and I have bad asthma because of black mold that was in our house that the government forgot to tell us about.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 02:05:29 PM by Chris Thomson »

Offline Ed Deerly

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: May 28, 2012, 01:18:18 PM »
Hello all,
   So. I'm a big galoot, 6'0. 257 lbs, down from 280.  At 51, I'm also one of the older guys here.  I guess that makes me a Silverback? I first saw Parkour about 5 or 6 years ago in San Diego. I thought it was very cool, but put it down as something I would never be able to do.  I have recently decided to challenge all my ideas of what I think I can't do, and Parkour is one of them.  I really don't where and how to start, other than losing the weight, strengthening my body, and increasing my flexibility.  I'm also doing PT for my right shoulder at the moment, tendinitis and a partial tear.  I'm pretty sure I can still do forward rolls and halfass backward rolls from my days in martial arts training.  I haven't seen anyone doing Parkour where I live right now, so I'm  on my own. My wife naturally thinks I'm crazy, but I want to make it worthwhile to get back into shape by being able to do something really cool.  Who wants to work so hard just to buy some new clothes?  I know the main thing is to get out and do it, but are there some good books out there on the subject?  What are the best moves for an absolute beginner with limited flexibility to learn first?

Thank you,
Ed
« Last Edit: May 28, 2012, 01:35:10 PM by Ed Deerly »