Author Topic: Parkour banned in Moreton, Cheshire, UK  (Read 10962 times)

Offline StreetPrince

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Re: Parkour banned in Moreton, Cheshire, UK
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2009, 09:10:41 PM »
I feel that good things can come out of this. Yea, it got banned, but the officials promised to discuss a compromise with the parkour community leaders.

The outcome of this event will provide precedent for future incidents of similar nature. The process will delve into issues that have rarely been discussed within the parkour community as well as outside of it. What I'm trying to say is this - The ban is bringing to light an issue that we have not yet resolved as a community: How to convince people that parkour is not an anti-social activity. This ban is forcing the community in Moreton, as well as our international community as a whole, to find a way to overcome this "obstacle," not to sound too cliche on a parkour forum...

Sure, we say all of these things about Leave No Trace, but that only goes so far. The situation in Moreton, and more specifically its result, will benefit parkour communities everywhere.
Team MajesticFlow

Offline PikeDuke

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2009, 08:52:24 AM »
I feel that good things can come out of this. Yea, it got banned, but the officials promised to discuss a compromise with the parkour community leaders.

The outcome of this event will provide precedent for future incidents of similar nature. The process will delve into issues that have rarely been discussed within the parkour community as well as outside of it. What I'm trying to say is this - The ban is bringing to light an issue that we have not yet resolved as a community: How to convince people that parkour is not an anti-social activity. This ban is forcing the community in Moreton, as well as our international community as a whole, to find a way to overcome this "obstacle," not to sound too cliche on a parkour forum...

Sure, we say all of these things about Leave No Trace, but that only goes so far. The situation in Moreton, and more specifically its result, will benefit parkour communities everywhere.

Agreed. I feel like this is coming at a good time for traceurs everywhere as well.  If we look back several years, most of the practitioners were located in Europe, centrally France.  In the past 6 years give or take, parkour has absolutely exploded across the globe.  However, if parkour was banned like this a few years ago when there weren't so many traceurs around to carry it on, we might be worried.  Now, as David Belle stated in the interview about his "quitting" parkour, it's an entity of its own now, and he doesn't need to father it and show it off to the world anymore (although who wouldn't want to see that...).

We can definitely trust the fact that parkour has enough followers and avid practitioners that it will never go away, it is simply too natural.  People do parkour everyday without trying.  This is just a very serious reminder that if we use this world the way we are, we need to respect our environments.  It almost mimics the global warming problem the world is facing now.  We abused greenhouse gases in the past, and now we are paying the price by having to take dramatic measures to protect the ozone.

This is obviously slightly less important than the ozone layer deteriorating, but it's pretty close  :P
Team MajesticFlow

Offline Specktre

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2009, 02:23:46 PM »
I think this is disgusting. How can they ban people from expressing themselves, or trying to get to work quickly and efficiently?! These pommes are just asking for a parkour revolution! I'd love to see the police try and chase down a parkour traceur!

Offline NikAs

• Patas
  • Parkour
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2009, 02:39:02 PM »
I think this is disgusting. How can they ban people from expressing themselves, or trying to get to work quickly and efficiently?! These pommes are just asking for a parkour revolution! I'd love to see the police try and chase down a parkour traceur!

I see how you feel, but the reporters did a better then decent job explaining what happened. Also they interviewed Daniel Illabaca so hey spoke about it. Also they are trying to figure something out i believe, not one hundred percent sure. And running from the police will only make parkour/freerunning communities look bad.
Aero parkour
Chicago

Meshach

« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2009, 03:03:38 PM »
It means nothing, they can't ban movement.

Offline Alec Furtado

• kicks butt.
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Balance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2009, 04:33:25 PM »
I think this is disgusting. How can they ban people from expressing themselves, or trying to get to work quickly and efficiently?!
You need to actually look at what was happening. Don't just take the standard position if you haven't read up on the situation.

By labeling them antisocial, they were claiming they were being disruptive to the normal way of things in those areas they were training in... getting in the way, not leaving when asked, and/or leaving when asked and coming back later to get kicked out again. That IS antisocial behavior and it's stupid. Furthermore, since it is not our land, we don't really have a say in any of it. If I owned a coffee shop with a railing surrounding a place to eat/drink/chill, and people were training on it and disrupting my customers, I would stop it. Stuff like that does happen and it is what has been happening here. While they were expressing themselves, it was still disruptive, and I can bet they weren't going to work or concerned about quickness and efficiency.

I'd love to see the police try and chase down a parkour traceur!
Do not run from police. You will get in trouble wether you were doing something or not. Even if you were doing something and you don't run, the cops will like you a lot more.

The correct phrase would simply be "chase down a traceur." A traceur/euse is a practitioner of parkour, and "parkour traceur" doesn't make sense.
Water conforms to the shape of it's surroundings. Do not be water. Shape your own life.

Offline RamounC.

• Guenons
  • well, you see...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 28, 2009, 12:54:29 PM »
responsibility should have been taken for property damage. at least the victims wouldn't be as agitated about the damage since you took responsibility. it is unfortunate the the government is banning parkour, but at least they are willing to compromise. i wish you all the best of luck with the government. make sure to cooperate with them and be subtle when disagreeing with them.
Sprained ankle. =P

Offline David Jones

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Representin the 215's finest... PhillyPK All Day.
    • View Profile
    • PkCali
« Reply #27 on: October 28, 2009, 01:03:28 PM »
[...] but also a definite lack of respect on our part as well.

Not really to be honest. From all of the reports I seen, it seems as though it's people performing the same physical movements without the proper mindset. So technically, they aren't even practicing Parkour. If they did practice Parkour, they wouldn't be disrespectful like that in the first place.

Offline Shane Warren

• Guenons
  • Text is inert.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 28, 2009, 05:55:31 PM »
this is another reason for "parkour parks" if we had a designated area to train we wouldnt have as many of these problems... although training in the same place would get pretty repetitive.
Pain lasts for a few minutes.
Quitting is forever.

Offline Alec Furtado

• kicks butt.
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Balance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 28, 2009, 07:44:40 PM »
Not really to be honest. From all of the reports I seen, it seems as though it's people performing the same physical movements without the proper mindset. So technically, they aren't even practicing Parkour. If they did practice Parkour, they wouldn't be disrespectful like that in the first place.
True, but I don't see the higher-ups ever making that distinction. Their actions still would have been influenced by parkour, so parkour would be "at fault."
Water conforms to the shape of it's surroundings. Do not be water. Shape your own life.