Author Topic: Parkour banned in Moreton, Cheshire, UK  (Read 10955 times)

Offline Andy Keller

• Oh baby baby.
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Lancaster, PA
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
Parkour banned in Moreton, Cheshire, UK
« on: October 14, 2009, 02:15:30 PM »
Parkour was banned in Moreton, Cheshire, UK [Daniel Ilibaca's hometown].

From U$F:
"Many of us expected it to happen one day. Well now it has…..Council officials have taken a general view that Parkour/Freerun activity is anti-social and have subsequently slapped a ban on it.  The town of Moreton in the UK, which has a flourishing scene, has been hit hard by this decision and for those choosing to ignore the ban, they will be faced with being on the receiving end of an ASBO (Anti-Social Behaviour Disorder). Anyone involved in the sport/art/discipline will already be aware of the positives that can be drawn from PK/FR and will see this as ill informed officials being a tad heavy handed, but with their decision being passed, surely it’s only a matter of time before other areas follow suit?"

News Feature.

EDIT: There's already a thread about it in Pics & Vids, but it's worthy of this board.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 02:41:47 PM by Andy Keller »
"Do it, do it well, do it well and fast."

Offline Andy Keller

• Oh baby baby.
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Lancaster, PA
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
Re: Parkour banned in Moreton, Cheshire, UK
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2009, 02:33:30 PM »
Official Letter:

Offline Dan Frank

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Formless, shapeless, like water.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 02:46:13 PM »
Well, it wasn't unexpected. There's always some degree of resistance to change, and those who prefer continuity are ready to take any chance they can get to shut down progression. It is only a matter of time, though, before parkour grows in popularity and legitimacy and flushes out attempts to stop it. The parkour community must work together to make that as short a time as possible.
Dedication is the basis of success in all things. The achievement of one's goals will ensue naturally if one is dedicated.

Offline Corndogg

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • SF Parkour
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 02:53:07 PM »
Anti-social?  Looks like there was a big group of people having fun together!   ;D
SF Parkour // SFPK - | Website | Forum | YouTube |
Serving the Greater San Francisco Bay Area

Offline NikAs

• Patas
  • Parkour
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 03:01:00 PM »
It was only a matter of time that this would happen. Hope that it doesn't happen in many more places. But in my opinion as parkour/freerunning gets more mainstream we will see this happening more often.
Aero parkour
Chicago

Offline Andy Keller

• Oh baby baby.
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Lancaster, PA
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 03:35:28 PM »
Anti-social?  Looks like there was a big group of people having fun together!   ;D

I think, relating to British law, "Anti-social" takes on a meaning more like "against society."

Wikipedia:
Anti-social behaviour is often seen as public behaviour that lacks judgement and consideration for others and may cause them or their property damage. It may be intentional, as with vandalism or graffiti, or the result of negligence. Persistent anti-social behaviour may be a manifestation of an antisocial personality disorder.

Offline Adam C

• Hirundo Rustica
  • I jump over stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2009, 03:42:17 PM »
Kudos to whatever secretary wrote that letter: I like the way they made it sound, even though it does suck immensely.  :(
"Hi! I'm Mark Toorock from American Parkour. Today, we're going to be showing you parkour."

I will crush my mental blocks into a fine powder, and then I will construct a fabulous Zen garden.

Offline .

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2009, 04:24:31 PM »
What the hell are they going to do, stop people from working out in public?

Unless you're on rooftops, you really, really can't enforce that kind of policy.
At the center of parkour lies training and the results thereof -- all of your efforts in parkour should be aligned with this central theme.

Offline Corndogg

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • SF Parkour
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2009, 04:34:50 PM »

I think, relating to British law, "Anti-social" takes on a meaning more like "against society."

Wikipedia:
Anti-social behaviour is often seen as public behaviour that lacks judgement and consideration for others and may cause them or their property damage. It may be intentional, as with vandalism or graffiti, or the result of negligence. Persistent anti-social behaviour may be a manifestation of an antisocial personality disorder.

You're really gonna make me hafta use the smiley aren't ya  :-Sarcasm   ;)
SF Parkour // SFPK - | Website | Forum | YouTube |
Serving the Greater San Francisco Bay Area

Offline Dan Elric

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2009, 06:39:43 PM »
It is the police's discretion.  They can stop young people from doing it if they want.  In America, this would never fly.

Offline Casey Boatwright

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2009, 06:47:16 PM »
It is the police's discretion.  They can stop young people from doing it if they want.  In America, this would never fly.
oh by golly it does,    no official bans from what i've seen but several police followings, putting people in handcuffs for a couple of hours while they run background checks,     a lack of understanding for anything leaves no bounds for what someone will do.    Take the conquiestidors meeting the central americans,    oh they're different and have/do things i a don't have/can't do,............................................................................lets kill 'em.  [WTF] :P
You live a filtered life.-
Everyone dreams of changing the world, I only want to change it back.-
In Myth, God Is Force.

Offline Matthew Wang

• Total Awesome
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • July 1st, 2008 - My first day of training
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2009, 06:56:15 PM »

Yup yup. We'd can never seem to sit still and go with the flow ;)

Well, I do love how the video had their research done. They knew about the philosophy and the works of Parkour and what we strive for. But still, that sucks majorly.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 07:02:20 PM by Matthew W »
http://www.washingtonparkour.com/
Need something Washington Parkour related?
matt@washingtonparkour.com
washington@americanparkour.com
10 PUSH UPS OR 5 PULL UPS PER POST

Offline Alec Furtado

• kicks butt.
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Balance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2009, 09:47:04 AM »
Look at this from another perspective (just 'cuz I like to). The authorities themselves put an end to bad practice of parkour.

And now they are going to work with a experienced and respected traceur in order to fix it. Sounds pretty good to me (as long as they can reach a good resolution).
Water conforms to the shape of it's surroundings. Do not be water. Shape your own life.

Offline Mitchell

• Patas
  • Je m'apelle Mitchell, je suis un nouveau traceur.
    • View Profile
    • Valca Design
« Reply #13 on: October 15, 2009, 10:11:11 AM »
I'm just glad the council member that spoke was aware the people causing problems were not engaging in the true discipline, and voiced it. As much as it sucks, it seems like they're going to be actually willing (as opposed to saying, "yeah we'll talk" and then refusing anything) to talk to the practitioners about a compromise.
Nous changeons le mouvement de l'humanité contemporaine.

Offline Alex Melusky

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Failure is the mother of Success.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2009, 12:07:08 PM »
I think it is good they at least know what they are talking about. I'm happy to see that they are giving the local freerunners a chance to work things out.
You don't have to be a scholar to be a leader.
Why be a leaf in the wind when you can be the wind itself?

Offline Brandan Mendenhall

• Hirundo Rustica
  • [est. 1988]
    • View Profile
    • Arizona Parkour
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2009, 07:45:01 AM »
This should remind everybody how important it is to train safely, and to respect the public as well as public property.
Your obstacle is my shortcut.

Offline zayn

• Hirundo Rustica
  • i dont like real pics. They steal ur SOUL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2009, 07:53:24 AM »
that pisses me off even though i dont live in the UK. i give condolenses to our brothers and sisters in that area. hopfuly they repeal that act. :'( >:( :'( >:(
I am the prophet nemesis. Guardian of the Nexus and void. God of death.

"free-ur mind" morphious
"Slow is smooth and smooth is fast" Sensei England and Sensei Geroge -miss them alot-
http://teamnexus.moogo.com/
http://teamnexus13.webs.com/

Offline Jordan Strybos

• Man of Skochy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Lancaster, PA
    • View Profile
    • PKGA
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2009, 08:28:26 AM »
This should remind everybody how important it is to train safely, and to respect the public as well as public property.

Agreed. This isn't the end of the world totally, like they said, they're working with the community leaders to provide traceurs a safe and legal space to train in.  I believe it's probably just an accumulation of complaints about kids disrupting in public places...partially a misunderstanding, but also a definite lack of respect on our part as well.

Offline Zach

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2009, 08:53:46 AM »
this Really sucks but sometimes it takes something like this to help us learn to respect both our local training areas and places we visit. even though we try to proect the enviroment sometimes we can unknowingly cause a disturbence or make a mess etc. myself included. I hope everything turns out in our favor. Good luck to everyone who is going to talk to the city council.  ;D

Offline arseniy0410

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2009, 08:43:04 PM »
It was going to happen, sooner or later. Where i live there is no official ban, but police and pretty much anyone who isn't a traceur or a freerunner hates us. Many adults will give us dirty looks, leave the area call others, or tell us to leave, the cops won't even ask question, assuming we are some gangsters or vandals up to no good.

This post however does not bother me, how can you put a ban on moving? life is movement, and you can't force people to sit still. They call this Anti-Social? Haha. Parkour will live, nothing can stop it.

;)