Author Topic: Semantics - "Traceur", not "Traceuse"  (Read 4177 times)

Offline Jackson Miller

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Formerly Entity
    • View Profile
Re: Semantics - "Traceur", not "Traceuse"
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2009, 01:55:51 PM »
As a traceuse (and professional editor), my opinion is that the traceur/traceuse distinction is just fine.

First of all, these are French words, just like lache, planche, and saut de chat, and French already has established grammatical conventions that make the distinction clear:
Traceur and traceuse derive from French, which has a separation of gender.

To expand, they do this for every profession and activity. All French nouns are either masculine or feminine. No need to change what was never meant to be sexist to begin with. It's just language structure.

I agree with Alec:
Modern language is the result of an incredibly complex network of interactions and events. The work is done and we don't need to actively create artificial rules which in all likelihood will not prove to be useful.

[...]

You CAN change it, but why? Is it really useful?

[...]

And say this does go through. You will still end up saying "female/girl/woman traceur" and never "male/guy/man traceur" as it will be typically assumed (at least now) that the person being referred to is a man. Congrats, you added a word. That's not parkour :P (but seriously).
If we say "male traceur" and "female traceur" we're adding an extra word to make a distinction that is already clear.

Though...on a side note, has anyone read Orwell's Nineteen Eighty-four? This all makes me think of Newspeak: eliminating words that make language more complex, in favor of modifying the same one or two words with different adjectives and prefixes...

No Just admit it, you are just afraid you will have to change your username.   :-Sarcasm

Offline TraceuseDS

• Patas
  • Carolyn (Carrie) S.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2009, 07:01:37 PM »
No Just admit it, you are just afraid you will have to change your username.   :-Sarcasm

Haha! Ya know, I hadn't even thought about that. But you're right! :-Sarcasm
Just take the next step.A day without a challenge is a wasted day.

Offline Dan Elric

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2009, 09:18:36 PM »
i agree with the op on some aspects....it doesnt really mater about the gender of any traceur(e), but its just a title and nothing more. look at the shinobi and kunochi, they were (for the most part) the same thing. i dont really worry about it though, cause like i said its just a title.

This has nothing to do with Japanese, and besides, Japanese does NOT distinguish between male and female (not to mention they're sexist). 

English is a hodgepodge of different words from different languages.  Let's observe some English words with French origins:

cul-de-sac
naïve
coup
crêpe

Just because they're English words doesn't mean the pronunciation has changed (although no one ever pronounces kamikaze correctly), nor has the meaning changed.  In the end we get a huge mixture of a bunch of different words from a bunch of different languages tied together with a bunch of rules.

Offline .

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2009, 08:23:32 PM »
For the last time, Parkour and Freerunning are the same thing!  >:(

Wait...this is a linguistics argument about something else? [WTF]
 :-Sarcasm

LOL. I spilled my water at this.
At the center of parkour lies training and the results thereof -- all of your efforts in parkour should be aligned with this central theme.