Author Topic: PARKOUR VS FREERUNNING  (Read 13537 times)

Offline John Conway

• Mangabey
  • John Conway
    • View Profile
    • CouchSurfer
Re: PARKOUR VS FREERUNNING
« Reply #80 on: October 11, 2009, 07:56:02 PM »
Matthew W, I really don't know where to go with that post. I was reading all the posts, got to yours, and then my head
had no more thoughts..just...question marks.  :D (And then taylor posted and i screamed.  ;)) It sounds like your saying there is no free running or parkour because there is free running or parkour. And then somewhere in there a can of smelly yet delicious worms pops up. It's not clear to me at all, and if you could explain further I would greatly appreciate it.

I could tackel one comment you made, however. There are no purists because one jumps over a rail and then back over it.
(This also plays into a definitional stance) Parkour is essentially the skills one would need in order to escape a pursuer, so if
needed to jump over a rail to get away from the dag, then jump back over that rail so I don't fall in the river below me, I still used parkour.
(Note: just one feature of parkour is the skills we would need to escape a pursuer, there are many other purposes).

Also, what I'm getting at is that, in a run, a person doesn't use parkour, then flips over a railing so is now using freerunning.
It's all the same. Your not going to run towards a wall and think, ok use parkour and wall-run, then come to a picnic bench and say
ok freerunning time reverse vault! (I hate how flips are the #1 example of the word freerunning, you don't have to flip to be a freerunner.
Stop creating a bad assumption, use that example less please.) In the run your mindset is always, ok do this, and now this. I'll go there and do this, etc.

The words are different because English is different from French, not because the disciplines are different. (I use this moment to say once more that these are all the same pk/fr/l'add).

A definition, specifically, could be Belle's. "Parkour is a method of physical training which allows us to overcome obstacles in our urban and natural environments." Anything beyond that we must use examples, and beyond that, show them. Parkour cannot be told what is, only shown what is. Let it be that which it is: undefinable.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 07:58:24 PM by NoRush »

Offline Matthew Wang

• Total Awesome
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • July 1st, 2008 - My first day of training
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: October 11, 2009, 08:13:05 PM »
It sounds like your saying there is no free running or parkour because there is free running or parkour.

You nailed it. ;)

I wasn't expressing any of my personal thoughts on this, just showing how there seems to be no straightforward answer to any of this.

I'm cool with the arguments and discussion as long as there friendly ideas. It helps us expand our horizons. But I mean, c'mon. We're going in big circles.

Take what you will, and leave well enough alone.

Happy Training! :)
http://www.washingtonparkour.com/
Need something Washington Parkour related?
matt@washingtonparkour.com
washington@americanparkour.com
10 PUSH UPS OR 5 PULL UPS PER POST

Offline Gabe Arnold

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Proud Founder of S.U.T.S.
    • View Profile
    • Gabe Arnold Fitness
« Reply #82 on: October 11, 2009, 08:49:50 PM »
"Better Together" by Jack Johnson, as performed by Sabia

Terminal velocity has been reached. I've expressed my thoughts and feel that no more progress shall be made in this thread concerning this subject. Perhaps in the future, but not now.

Thus I leave you with a Jack Johnson cover of "Better Together" done by a girl with an INCREDIBLE voice. Good night everyone.  ;D
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 08:56:38 PM by Gabe Arnold »

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #83 on: October 12, 2009, 07:03:37 AM »
Don't worry, someone will bring it up again in 2 months and we can do this again :P
Be Useful.
If I don't try to make the world a better place, who will?
Every person has a choice - live by your fears or live by your dreams

Offline Andy Keller

• Oh baby baby.
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Lancaster, PA
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #84 on: October 12, 2009, 11:56:10 AM »
Don't worry, someone will bring it up again in 2 months and we can do this again :P

Welcome to APK.
"Do it, do it well, do it well and fast."

Offline Jeremy Osborn

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Wisconsin Parkour
« Reply #85 on: October 12, 2009, 01:37:13 PM »
"Better Together" by Jack Johnson, as performed by Sabia

Terminal velocity has been reached. I've expressed my thoughts and feel that no more progress shall be made in this thread concerning this subject. Perhaps in the future, but not now.

Thus I leave you with a Jack Johnson cover of "Better Together" done by a girl with an INCREDIBLE voice. Good night everyone.  ;D

+1 for the great song my good friend  ;D
Wisconsin Parkour

Your friendly neighborhood Techno-head.

"The Chinese use two brush strokes for the word 'crisis', one stands for danger, the other for opportunity. In a crisis, be aware of the danger, but recognize the opportunity."

Offline Jordan Strybos

• Man of Skochy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Lancaster, PA
    • View Profile
    • PKGA
« Reply #86 on: October 12, 2009, 04:01:51 PM »

Welcome to APK.

WAIT!
We didn't answer the question!! We never truly defined parkour!
 :-Sarcasm

And Gabe, props, that girl's voice is kickin'!

Offline Lonnie Tisdale

• Patas
    • View Profile
    • San Diego Parkour, PKCali.com
« Reply #87 on: October 12, 2009, 04:49:28 PM »
"A to B as creatively as possible." Isn't that the definition they used in The Office? Interesting how "efficiently" is being phased out by the media in favor of "creatively"...and just in time for MTV's ULTIMATE PARKOUR CHALLENGE! ;-) Just an observation, please don't mark me down.

Personally, I've always held that they are the same thing but as many have pointed out, there are still plenty of people who hold firmly to separate definitions and who am I to tell them they are wrong? I did like Daniel's water analogy on the first page though... Just drink it!
"Let the fear of danger be a spur to prevent it; he that fears not, gives advantage to the danger."

Offline Team Avian

• Completely and Utterly Banned not.
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • ɹnoʞɹɐd ǝןןıʌsɐןƃnop
    • View Profile
    • Team Avian's Home Page
« Reply #88 on: October 12, 2009, 06:35:56 PM »

Welcome to APK.

WAIT!
We didn't answer the question!! We never truly defined parkour!
 :-Sarcasm

And Gabe, props, that girl's voice is kickin'!

well, it's going to be next to impossible for EVERYONE to come to the same definition...  (What I say from here on out COULD be debated but tough luck as this thread is winding down apparently)

Parkour is Dynamic, that is the difference between it and something concrete like, say, Ice Cream.  Now, it is fair to say that it isn't to the extent that I previously described it...  but it isn't completely the same seeing as everyone does it different, it is very personal while being very vague...  kind of one of those "we pick and choose" things.

While, yes, we COULD come to a definition, it would take a few months as well as the Yamakasi to come to a conclusion...  Maybe we should just bite the bullet and start defining it all but it'd probably just come to a winding down like this thread has

People are talking to me in the back ground so I can't concentrate to write just 2 sentances (They just won't stop talking for 5 seconds...  So I'm gonna come back and restate what I'm trying to say, if this hasn't concluded by then... In other words, "BRB")

-Kyle B.
Team Avian soaring through the city-scape

Team Avian's Home Page

Team Avian's Youtube Channel

Quote from: Beretta
"Open mindedness is an essential parkour skill."

**APK Roof Police**

Offline Alissa J. Bratz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • middle-aged man in mom's basement eating Fritos
    • View Profile
    • wisconsinparkour.com
« Reply #89 on: October 12, 2009, 06:58:13 PM »
Can't.
Stop.
Laughing.

That is all.

:)

I love you, APK.
She followed slowly, taking a long time,
as though there were some obstacle in the way;
and yet: as though, once it was overcome,
she would be beyond all walking, and would fly.
--excerpt from Going Blind, Rainer Maria Rilke

www.madisonparkour.com

Offline Chris [.5gibbon] Stevenson!

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: October 12, 2009, 07:24:05 PM »
im not man enough to read 5 pages this late, but is seems everyone is just voicing opinions so i recon i'll give it a shot ;D.
what my little mind has gathered from listening to the yamakasi and others:  parkour and freerunning are different, but they are the same because they are l'art du deplacement but not ballet or brake dancing...

art of movement:
parkour
freerunning
tricking
martial arts
ballet
brake dancing
skate boarding
etc.
etc.
etc.
p.s. sorry if i opened a scab. its sleepy time
"Be like water making its way through cracks.  Do not be assertive,  but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it." - Bruce Lee

"There are few things graven in stone, except that you have to squat or you're a pussy." -Mark Rippetoe

Offline John Conway

• Mangabey
  • John Conway
    • View Profile
    • CouchSurfer
« Reply #91 on: October 12, 2009, 07:49:37 PM »
We feed ourselves off of obstacles. Belle said something to that extent, don't remember exact wording.
Anyway, that's where efficiency gets debated. It could be more efficient to run up the wall instead of taking
the time to walk the entire handicap ramp.

But then, in order to train, we must purposelly and intentionally put these obstacles in our way, so that when a
real life situation comes up, we overcome that obstacle in a more efficient (or rather, never ever done before) manner.

Thank you Belle and TK17, where my thoughts had been led from.