Author Topic: My training of 2008 and Manpower Gap  (Read 4858 times)

Offline Andy Keller

• Oh baby baby.
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Lancaster, PA
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
Re: My training of 2008 and Manpower Gap
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2009, 06:34:47 PM »
Not picking sides, but TR is completely right in my honest opinion. The truth has to be harsh sometimes.

*facepalm*

Ugh, I don't think there are even sides to pick.

I'll say it once again: Don't do the Manpoer Gap. Don't.

See? I agree with that.

All I'm trying to say is in this quote... from earlier in this thread...

I'm just trying to be realistic. I was doing my best to offer an explanation for why he did the jump. I'm not saying that he was right to do it. In fact, I think he definitely shouldn't have done it, but I don't feel that I have the justification to yell at him for it. It was his decision. He knew the risks.
"Do it, do it well, do it well and fast."

Offline David Jones

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Representin the 215's finest... PhillyPK All Day.
    • View Profile
    • PkCali
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2009, 06:39:13 PM »
Not picking sides, but TR is completely right in my honest opinion. The truth has to be harsh sometimes.

Ugh, I don't think there are even sides to pick.

I'll say it once again: Don't do the Manpoer Gap. Don't.

See? I agree with that.

All I'm trying to say is in this quote... from earlier in this thread...

I'm just trying to be realistic. I was doing my best to offer an explanation for why he did the jump. I'm not saying that he was right to do it. In fact, I think he definitely shouldn't have done it, but I don't feel that I have the justification to yell at him for it. It was his decision. He knew the risks.

I understand. I should have reworded myself. I agree with what TR has said about the video. I wasn't really pitting him against anyone elses opinions, I just simply agree with it.

Offline Jordan Strybos

• Man of Skochy
  • Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Lancaster, PA
    • View Profile
    • PKGA
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2009, 06:46:05 PM »
Me vERsuS EvRY1!!
Roof gaps are great  :D

Offline Andy Keller

• Oh baby baby.
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Lancaster, PA
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2009, 06:57:05 PM »
I understand. I should have reworded myself. I agree with what TR has said about the video. I wasn't really pitting him against anyone elses opinions, I just simply agree with it.

Sounds good man. Thanks.

Me vERsuS EvRY1!!
Roof gaps are great  :D

Oh God.

Offline Elet ET

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Smite me, Oh Mighty Smiter!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 07, 2009, 07:09:09 PM »
Wait, what the hell?

When did i get to the town hall meeting...?
ProParkour--ANTI-ADVERB!!!!!

If you don't like their rules, Refuse to play their game.
Anarchy is not CHAOS, but order without CONTROL.
Frederick, MD PK

Offline Adam McC

• Delicious
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Level 1 Sexability Certified
    • View Profile
    • Lehigh Valley Parkour
« Reply #25 on: October 07, 2009, 07:21:18 PM »
You're all wrong. Parkour is about roof gaps. A to B.

:-Sarcasm

No. No smite necessary. I kid. Really. Responsibility says: stay off roofs, especially crazy ones. However, if you do take on roofs.. especially crazy ones.. just be ready to take the responsibility of that action. That is all that needs to be said here.

•Lehigh Valley Parkour Community Founder
•Level 1 A.D.A.P.T. Certified
•Urban Current Member

Offline Rafe

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Natural Athletics
« Reply #26 on: October 07, 2009, 08:07:08 PM »
People need to Calm down. Justin is very talented and controlled his body should have been a be a bit stronger for that jump but he did it better then many others, his knee's are fine and he has done bigger more difficult things now. 90 percent of everyones training should be on ground level absolutely if you have 3 plus years of experience are skilled and strong there comes a time when it is usefull to try jumps were their are consequences to overcome your fears to build your spirit. Your not going to train the man power over and over but to it once or a few times to know that in absolute emergency you could overcome something like that is usefull training and is in know way the same as the stupid stunt taking, and drops that uninformed newbies do. You have to be able to see the difference.
I shall not fear, fear is the mind killer the little death that precedes total obliteration

I will face my fear, I will let it pass over and through me and were it is gone, I will turn the inner eye and see its path, and only I will remain.

Offline TR

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 07, 2009, 08:25:01 PM »
Anyways, if you went to Lisses, and you weren't prepared for any big jumps.. would you still do them, knowing the risks? Or would you tell yourself that you'll go back in a couple years to better prepare yourself? You can make all the trips you want, but you only have one body.

I feel comfortable enough with my training that I can be confident that if I would attempt the gap I would not die or wreck my body. Sure, it would ache the next day, but I'm pretty sure anyone would trade stiff leg muscles for the thrill of a lifetime...

*sigh*... you really think that by taking huge drops, the only after effect is going to be stiff legs the next day? Heavy impacts wear and tear away at ligaments, tendons, cartilage etc.. over time. Even impacts you probably think of as harmless. Soo many practitioners have ankle, knee, back problems... I wonder why??? Because they think they are perfectly ok to be taking these heavy impacts when they lack strength, probably lack the technicality to be doing it as well.

Everyone thinks they are strong enough to do this or that, everyone likes to think highly of themselves.. but the truth is.. they aren't. The people that end up with these joint problems are usually the ones spouting about saying things like, "It's ok, I'm strong enough for these big drops, I don't feel them" Keep doing them, tell me how you feel in a years time, maybe a couple years time depending how strong they may be.

It's amazing how many people throw around high-fives and kudos to other people just because they may be able to pull off a certain move, or jump from a huge wall. You'd be surprised at how poorly many people land and transition into the roll. Sure, they may look fine at first, or at speed, but if you really analyze it, and slow it down... you begin to see all of their flaws, both technically(absorbing too much, slow transition, smashing shoulder into the ground etc..), and physically (unstable joints, shaky ankles/knees, knock-kneed etc..).

Anyways, enough ranting... don't take this personally... still curious though... do you really think the only after effect to taking a drop is sore legs?

Offline Elet ET

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 07, 2009, 08:31:38 PM »
This is unnecessary.

Frederick, MD PK

Offline Andy Keller

• Oh baby baby.
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Lancaster, PA
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2009, 08:39:55 PM »
*sigh*... you really think that by taking huge drops, the only after effect is going to be stiff legs the next day? Heavy impacts wear and tear away at ligaments, tendons, cartilage etc.. over time. Even impacts you probably think of as harmless.

He never said that.

We all know that every single impact has an effect on your ligaments, tendons, cartilage, etc. We usually say this when speaking of repeated high drops or hard impacts. I know, I know, one drop taken the wrong way can injure you for life, sure. But, again, let's try be realistic here. The chance of Jordan injuring himself permanently doing the Gap isn't that great. So to him, in his own judgement, it may seem worth it to do the jump. On the other hand, that chance of injury may be too great for you, in your own judgement. So, you can choose for yourself not to do the jump.

To each his own.

This is unnecessary.

Meh. :P

Offline Elet ET

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2009, 08:46:55 PM »
TR,
How often do you run?

Frederick, MD PK

Offline David Jones

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • PkCali
« Reply #31 on: October 08, 2009, 03:53:25 AM »
LOL.

Offline Shae Perkins

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Texas tough
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2009, 01:18:04 PM »
Justing that was a great video! You a very talented my man:) Keep up the great work. Nice training with you at the Tex Nat Jam.

And for all of you bashing Justin for jumping the Manpower Gap? Have you trained with him? Do you know his body? Do you really have the right to judge?
This post was based off of my personal gatherings. Enjoy:)

Offline David Jones

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • PkCali
« Reply #33 on: October 08, 2009, 01:29:33 PM »
Justing that was a great video! You a very talented my man:) Keep up the great work. Nice training with you at the Tex Nat Jam.

And for all of you bashing Justin for jumping the Manpower Gap? Have you trained with him? Do you know his body? Do you really have the right to judge?

Ok, well what are your thoughts on him performing the Manpower Gap?

Offline TR

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 08, 2009, 01:31:04 PM »
TR,
How often do you run?

I go jogging every morning, thanks for asking ;)

and my rants are not directed at OP, but people in general.

Offline NICK DAGGER

• Nick Dagger P.I.
  • Mangabey
  • I AM NICK DAGGER
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 08, 2009, 11:16:09 PM »
that was the one time impulse and adrenaline got the best of me, but I didn't seriously hurt myself, and I definitely learned from it. I do think the rocks help a lot more than people realize, it's not a jump to concrete. 

Offline Sparklefish

• EAF!
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • San Francisco Parkour
« Reply #36 on: October 09, 2009, 01:05:58 AM »
Haha, this thread is totally community support FAIL!  I'm glad people are concerned about each other's well being and the examples we set.  Nonetheless, there are advanced practitioners who can only continue to progress by acquiring new skills, and applying them in new situations.  Justin's incredible.  Watching him do the APEX obstacle course barefoot was astounding, and definitely one of my favorite things I've seen happen in parkour.  He's a big boy.

Justin: great video.  I look forward to more & seeing you again on down the road.  Next time though, make sure to go big or go home!  :-Sarcasm 

Offline Chris [.5gibbon] Stevenson!

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 09, 2009, 06:22:23 AM »

*sigh*... you really think that by taking huge drops, the only after effect is going to be stiff legs the next day? Heavy impacts wear and tear away at ligaments, tendons, cartilage etc.. over time. Even impacts you probably think of as harmless. Soo many practitioners have ankle, knee, back problems... I wonder why??? Because they think they are perfectly ok to be taking these heavy impacts when they lack strength, probably lack the technicality to be doing it as well.

thats like saying don't do pull ups or handstands or precisions etc.. because you can get tendonitis.  if anything this guy had slightly sore quads and a scrape on his shoulder, nothing different than any day of conditioning. you act like people cant heal or something.   
i totally agree with what your saying, but only for new traceurs who don't have any strength
"Be like water making its way through cracks.  Do not be assertive,  but adjust to the object, and you shall find a way around or through it." - Bruce Lee

"There are few things graven in stone, except that you have to squat or you're a pussy." -Mark Rippetoe

Offline Travis Graves

• Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Primal Fitness
« Reply #38 on: October 09, 2009, 08:21:06 AM »
Nice video, Justin!
Don't step to me with your stats and your date smarts

You know your neighborhood by street signs or landmarks?

Offline Ryan Ford

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • APEX Movement
« Reply #39 on: October 09, 2009, 09:02:29 AM »
round off to back up on the block was badass.