Author Topic: My lower back during rolls.  (Read 3168 times)

Offline Unique

• Mangabey
  • D'Ondrai Jones
    • View Profile
    • youtube
My lower back during rolls.
« on: August 05, 2006, 09:37:48 AM »
When I roll on concrete my shoulder doesn't hurt, but like half way into the roll a piece of my spine makes contact with the concrete and it hurts. The only time I can feel the piece of my spine, I have to bend my back but then when I stand up straight I can't feel it. Does anyone know what wrong? ???
- “Don't wait for life to beat you. Move life to your own beat.” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqXiSaVGnLI

Offline Josh Maciel

• Hirundo Rustica
  • You lied to me. -Caboose
    • View Profile
Re: My lower back during rolls.
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2006, 02:10:36 PM »
Um bad technique? Maybe rolling on the side rather than between your neck and shoulder.
There is no past, there is no future, there is only the present because that is all that matters.

A bad Traucer does a technique until he gets it right. A good Traucer does it until he can not get it wrong.-David Belle

Offline Argon

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2006, 01:07:38 PM »
Ouch. It's your form for sure. Go over some of the tutorials and videos again and give it another shot. Alsom try to focus on changing just one elemtent of your roll with each attempt; by trial and error you should quickly improve.

iMy guess it you're not rolling diagonally, across one side of your back. If you do it right, after your shoulder touches down, you should only contact the conccrete with the soft muscle on your back; your spine shouldnt touch the ground at all.

Good luck!
My promise for the month: three sets of handstand pushups (upto 5 reps now...)

I keep having these dreams that I'm falling.
The strange thing is, when I wake up,
They keep coming true.

Offline jmanndriver

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2006, 02:06:30 PM »
i have a similar problem except it is when i try to do dive rolls. my lower back just like slams into the ground. I think it is because i don't hold my legs in long enough.
Parkour isn't a sport, it's a way of life...

Offline Jackson Miller

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Formerly Entity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2006, 02:08:12 PM »
I don't get it.  If you roll diagonally across your back, a part of your spine will always contact the ground.  To roll from one side of your back to the other, the center of your back has to contact the ground at some point.

Offline Argon

• Patas
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2006, 03:55:36 PM »
No no, I mean you move diagonally. You roll across only one side of your back. When you're rolling, your back is sorta convex shaped and so you'll turn 45-90 degrees during the roll.
My promise for the month: three sets of handstand pushups (upto 5 reps now...)

I keep having these dreams that I'm falling.
The strange thing is, when I wake up,
They keep coming true.

Offline Unique

• Mangabey
  • D'Ondrai Jones
    • View Profile
    • youtube
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2006, 04:12:25 PM »
Yes I got it! ;D ;D YEA!!!!!!!!!!!!

When I rolled my leg were realyl high in the air which made my back curve to much and exposed part of my spine.

The solution........

Lowering my legs which made my back a little less curved.
- “Don't wait for life to beat you. Move life to your own beat.” http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AqXiSaVGnLI

Offline Kylixer

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2006, 06:55:20 PM »
I used to have the same problem, and it was because I would straighten my legs too early. Try to keep your legs tucked a little longer...

My arsenal:
LaZy VaulT
Speed Vault
Cat Leap
Dash Vault (Poor)
Underbar
Wall Run
Tic Tac

P.S. I really need better shoes....

Steez

« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2006, 01:45:06 PM »
No no, I mean you move diagonally. You roll across only one side of your back. When you're rolling, your back is sorta convex shaped and so you'll turn 45-90 degrees during the roll.

whoa, whoa, whoa

please explain more fully.  so would this be like right shoulder to right hip? 

Offline FireFly

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2006, 12:13:58 PM »
I don't have that problem. When I roll on the concrete I feel no pain. Maybe you shouldn't roll along the middle of your back, but maybe "next to it" or something like that. Try different ways, and see what seems best for you.

Do you roll along your shoulder first? That's what you're supposed to do, because I did that and I felt nothing. Well, whatever, just try different ways.