Author Topic: Ask an Alliance member! - This time we got Ozzi answering questions.  (Read 24614 times)

Offline Ozzi

• Sexability Head Coach
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • HIpk
    • View Profile
    • Hawaii Parkour
 Alright guys, its been long coming. Some of us have been slacking a bit in giving the attention you all need so here it goes.
 What we are planning is to give you all the opportunity to get more close and personal with the people who make the "APK Behind The Scenes Work" possible as a way of thanking YOU for keeping it growing.

Here is the deal, Every other week for the next few months you all will have a chance to interview a member of the APK team, this include the Alliance and the Tribe member. With over 20 members this can go for a little while.

Rules

- We will open up a thread for an entire week in which you will post any question you might have for the feature Athlete of that particular week.
 - After the week is over the thread will be locked and we will give a few days (assuming you all participate it will take sometime to answer so many questions) for the athlete to answer all your questions to the best of his/her ability.
 - After the answers are posted the thread will then be open back us for brief discussion or for a simple "thanks you"
 - At this point, refrain yourself from asking any other question for they might and might not be answered.
 - The thread will remind open for another week so that everyone can review it.
 - Once the next interview start, the previous thread will be archived.
 - Any questions are valid but make sure not to get to personal or extra goofy.
 - The interviewee might choose to skip a question based on whatever he/she might think is appropriate or not.

This is your opportunity to pick their brain and use it for your advantage. Be creative. You can gather new ideas for you training, do's and dont's, etc.

Here are a few things to keep in mind.

Respect other people question/opinions. There will not be tolerance to any argument regarding weather or not a question is stupid.
 You can only ask 3 questions per post and can only post 3 times (not in a row)
 Please read the entire thread before posting to avoid asking the same question. If you fail to do so it will still take from your question/post count.
 One the the weak is over, the thread will be locked and no more question will be allowed.

So lets all have fun, I think Ill have questions of my own  ;)

Interviews done.
 (Click on the name to be redirected to the interview)

Amanda
 Skipper
 Frosti
 Janine
 Travis Noble
 Charles Moreland
 Paul Leon Mederos
 Max Calder
 Ryan Cloud Cousins
« Last Edit: April 21, 2010, 03:20:12 PM by Ozzi »
"Be the change you want to see in the world"
 Ghandi

Offline Ozzi

• Sexability Head Coach
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • HIpk
    • View Profile
    • Hawaii Parkour
Ok, so I guess it is my time. I have not made any decent videos in a while, but here are some shots.

Cuz shes awesome like that.....
 Ghandi

Offline Shyam Subramanian

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
Alright Ozzi here's some questions:

How do you make the best damn tutorials in the world?

Is your real name Oswald?

How'd you teach your dog parkour?
CTPK -|Trumbull Parkour|-

Offline Happy Fries

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
What kind of evolution did you take from just starting up as a beginning traceur into making tutorials, founding HIPK, and becoming a part of the APK Alliance?

PLUS:
Any plans on coming over to Miami?  ;D
I'm stealing this one from Mel, so it will get answered!
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 08:05:13 PM by Happy Fries »
I stepped into a new world. I watched you fly, saw you as a friend, the spirit of dreams. I imagined a new world, lands far away and imagined those faces as you hung in their sky. I'm leaving ground, stepping into a new world.
- Airships

Offline Sparklefish

• EAF!
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • San Francisco Parkour
When are we gonna travel the world together, living each day as a waking dream, pure bromance from sunup to sunset?  (Seriously, let's hit up South America, Europe or the Middle East together someday when we can afford it!)

Along those lines, if you could live in another country for a year and train with the locals, where would you go?

Tell us about a unique way you've found to structure a training session.

Offline Bao

• Patas
  • Alan Tran
    • View Profile
    • NCParkour
For you of course. Answer how you want to.

Why?

Offline Mel Martinez

• Guenons
  • No Inhibitions, No Limits
    • View Profile
Heyo!

Mel from MIAPK.

Prepare yourself....

What's your opinion on the current direction of our community as a whole?

Do you spend more time training with others or training alone, and why?

What's your favorite after-training-session meal?

If you could build your own perfect Parkour environment, what would it be? Urban or Natural? What would be in it? Would it be down on the ground or high in the air? Would you let others in it?

What is your lifetime goal? What is your Mt. Everest (both Parkour related and non-Parkour related)?

If you can be any animal, which would it be? And once you become it, what would you do?

Who's your favorite Greek god?

What was the hardest movement you've ever mastered? (Not performed, but rather able to do on command).

Any plans on coming over to Miami?  ;D

What's your element? Earth, Wind, Fire, or Water?

Did you ever build a Parkour obstacle (i.e. vault box, precision bar, ect)?

Do you ever meditate before Parkour? Or use visualization for training purposes?

If you could pick any historical figure in the entire world to teach Parkour, who would you choose?

What is your dog's breed? Can you train mine to do Parkour? Puh-lease?!

You make great tutorial videos. They've helped many, many people over the years. Why did you choose to make a series of tutorials?

I've noticed that when we Traceurs practice in public, we tend to either scare or impress bystanders, usually entirely unintentionally. Do you scare or impress people with your training?

What was your worst Parkour-Related injury?

Will you sign my callouses?

Cringe in fear of my question onslaught!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2010, 08:16:15 PM by Mel Martinez »

Offline Corndogg

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • SF Parkour
On a scale of 1-10 (10 highest) how bad do you want to come back to SF to jam with us?  ;D
SF Parkour // SFPK - | Website | Forum | YouTube |
Serving the Greater San Francisco Bay Area

Offline Rebecca Myers

• Mangabey
  • Can you hear me up there? (miniPK)
    • View Profile
    • iPK
Ozzi!
What's your favorite kind of cookie?
Do you like snow?
Why do you practice parkour?
I have this image of a tidal wave appearance from like 50 Traceurs and Traceuses doing PK from one end of a mall to the other. t'would be epic
Kyle(Rage)
iPK
Roof Police.
"Not now chief, I'm on the f****** roof."

Offline Adam McC

• Delicious
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Level 1 Sexability Certified
    • View Profile
    • Lehigh Valley Parkour
Oh, I've been waiting for so long, for this.

If you had an Acai Cup in one hand, and a newborn baby in the other, which would you let fall to the ground, if you had to drop one? ;)

I still remember your nickname, "Neo". Remember mine? We picked them out while eating burritos and quesadillas.

Name three of your best memories from past classes or jams.

Love ya bro

•Lehigh Valley Parkour Community Founder
•Level 1 A.D.A.P.T. Certified
•Urban Current Member

Offline FrostySTL

• Mangabey
  • Not related to Frosti in any way.
    • View Profile
Re: Ask an Alliance member! - This time we got Ozzi answering questions.
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2010, 09:27:17 PM »

Aloha!

As I'm just learning Parkour, at an advanced state of years,  ;D I'd first like to say THANKS for all of your and your guys great tutorial videos!

My questions:

After all the years of training, do you still have mental blocks, where you have trouble performing certain moves?

If so, which moves are currently bothering you?

When you go to Ohio, can I crash with you? I can't go because I can't afford a hotel.  :'(
"Pick yourself up, dust yourself off, start all over again..."

APK Roof Police Member

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2010, 03:55:33 PM »
[Why wait, Adam? Isn't that what PM is for? Or HIpk Talk Story?]

Anyway, for Ozzi:

Why did Kauai wreck Oahu for you?
What were the biggest things you learned from sleeping at the beach?
Where you stay now?

Feel free to ignore, of course! ;D
« Last Edit: April 27, 2010, 04:01:28 PM by Gregg »

Offline Jon E

• Patas
  • JFC Middleweight Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2010, 03:59:57 PM »
Ozzi!
When you get to Ohio, Can i have your Autograph?(Because we know you're going to become famous)
How were you introduced to Parkour?
When we meet in Columbus(Hopefully), will you help me with my monkey?
Parkour Park in construction!
(Precision jumps added)
"One becomes two becomes three becomes four
Our sound waves run your city like parkour"

... the only rules in parkour are the Laws of Physics

Offline Adam McC

• Delicious
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Level 1 Sexability Certified
    • View Profile
    • Lehigh Valley Parkour
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2010, 07:47:11 PM »
[Why wait, Adam? Isn't that what PM is for? Or HIpk Talk Story?]

(That's not nearly as fun.)

•Lehigh Valley Parkour Community Founder
•Level 1 A.D.A.P.T. Certified
•Urban Current Member

Offline Chris Seaton

• Mangabey
  • TVD, ESQ.
    • View Profile
    • TV TV Dog
Ozzi: 

How has Parkour changed your mental philosophy on life? 

Who do you consider yourself to be most like: Mahatma Gandhi, Obi-Wan Kenobi, or Miyamoto Musashi? 
(cause I see a bit of all three in you)

I remember you saying in a video review that you believed Parkour and Freerunning carried with it the potential to create a whole new breed of human being.  Do you still hold that view? 

Posts by Mr. Seaton should be interpreted as simply for either informational purposes or his own pure amusement, and are never to be construed as providing legal advice or forming an attorney-client relationship.

Offline Ozzi

• Sexability Head Coach
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • HIpk
    • View Profile
    • Hawaii Parkour
Alright guys, I have my answers almost ready. Ill a few more questions before this is closed tonight. Ill post my answer later tonight.

Thanks all for participating.
 Ghandi

Offline Ozzi

• Sexability Head Coach
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • HIpk
    • View Profile
    • Hawaii Parkour
Well here you go guys, thanks so much for your awesome aloha!!!

Shyamsundar Subramanian

How do you make the best damn tutorials in the world?

I hire stunt doubles.... but shhhhhhh

Is your real name Oswald?

Lol....

How'd you teach your dog parkour?

A lot of drug deals gone bad ;) jk...

I didnt teach Roxy parkour. No way I can explain or coach her how to do things. I just I encouraged her, and still do, to discover her own movement capabilities. I apply certain "parkour" like concepts to her training, like progression and repetition. But the rest is all her.

Happy Fries
What kind of evolution did you take from just starting up as a beginning traceur into making tutorials, founding HIPK, and becoming a part of the APK Alliance?

Hard work ;)
I guess one followed the other. I did sales for a while, so it was almost a business like structure that took over. I just wanted
to train. It was really never my beginning goal to create a whole community, but with the desire of training that came along. 
Training alone > Wanting to train with more people > Meeting the right people > Continuing to train > Gathering more people
> getting some videos out > Being community active > some recognition > M2 call.

All that can be summoned in one word. PASSION.

Brett Robert
When are we gonna travel the world together, living each day as a waking dream, pure bromance from sunup to sunset?  (Seriously, let's hit up South America, Europe or the Middle East together someday when we can afford it!)

And we will, if you can think it, you can achieve it!
Its been thought!!!

Along those lines, if you could live in another country for a year and train with the locals, where would you go?

Wow, I would have to do some research. But I think I really would like to get away from structural training and rather surround myself with an environment that would require me to apply a similar level of physical motion on a daily bases. Monkeys of india maybe.

But I would also love to travel the UK, so much talent there.

Tell us about a unique way you've found to structure a training session.

Hmm, not sure if unique but I like to "feel" the place. Figure out what it is my body feels like doing at the moment. I honestly never structure my training. Not even my classes. I just go with the flow of things. Ideas and workouts pop in my head. At times quicker than others.

Read this and you will also get a better idea for the kind of "training" I do.
http://hawaiipk.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=306&Itemid=1

Bao
Why?

Because it is just much easier to tune into your energy that way. It balances you out and help you focus on the things that
really matter to you the most, for you and no one else. It charges your spirit and calms your mind. It is healing, powerful and enlightening.
And you can achieve and perceive things you never thoughts were even possible.

Mel Martinez
I dont think you red the rules  ;)   
What's your opinion on the current direction of our community as a whole?

I dont do politics my man ;)
I think that everyone should practice or train in whatever way feel is right for them. I see a lot of talented, young, motivated, super supportive people as leaders of communities. A lot more of them just aS members. As long as there is common sense within all of us practitioners, I think the discipline will continue to spread in a positive and necessary form of activity.

Thats a job that we should all work on tigether.

Do you spend more time training with others or training alone, and why?

I actually train with others most of the time because the activities I do as "training". My training has changed a whole lot though. I can really call it training although it is very physical and it does . I play, explore. I go on hikes, swimming, trail running, Read Brett's answer.

What's your favorite after-training-session meal?

Haha, I think I think I little not to long ago you would know the answer to that question.

If you could build your own perfect Parkour environment, what would it be? Urban or Natural? What would be in it? Would it be down on the ground or high in the air? Would you let others in it?

Hmm, well, I really dont think there is a perfect parkour environment. But if I had the chance and power I would build something on an outdoor open area with easy access to trails and natural water. High "in the air" and low on the ground. What would be in it? Due to the fact that is a actual idea, cant really tell you much. But itd be a place dedicated to movement in general.

What is your lifetime goal? What is your Mt. Everest (both Parkour related and non-Parkour related)?

My life goal is to die and be happy and content at life and everything it was. So far so good.
My highest target in life is to achieve a high level of connection between my mind, body and spirit to the best of my ability. To make a positive impact in someone. To introduce new minds to a different perspective of freedom.

If you can be any animal, which would it be? And once you become it, what would you do?

I think I would be a wolf, I'd browse around the valley and up the mountain cliffs, stalk my pray and let instincts take over.

Who's your favorite Greek god?

Zeus

What was the hardest movement you've ever mastered? (Not performed, but rather able to do on command).

Walk... only thing I can do on command 100% of the time.

Any plans on coming over to Miami?   

Hmmm, I guess you havent heard. Ill be in Miami on the 1 of jun.

What's your element? Earth, Wind, Fire, or Water?

Water although fire really gets me on the zone, but I think it does that to a lot of people.

What was your worst Parkour-Related injury?

AC ligament separation.

Did you ever build a Parkour obstacle (i.e. vault box, precision bar, ect)?

Several.

Do you ever meditate before Parkour? Or use visualization for training purposes?

I do active meditation before parkour. Visualization is a HUGE part of my training. I have had mental training for days in some moves. Just visualizing every aspect of the move as I perform it.

I always visualize success before I do a move. I think it is very important to visualize ourselves succeeding in everything we do so that we help ourselves believe that we can do it. Realistically though.

If you could pick any historical figure in the entire world to teach Parkour, who would you choose?

This guy

Just so I can hang with him!

What is your dog's breed? Can you train mine to do Parkour? Puh-lease?!

Roxy is a sexy breed. I can give you ideas on how to help your dog get some skills, but I can not train your dog to "do" parkour.

You make great tutorial videos. They've helped many, many people over the years. Why did you choose to make a series of tutorials?

To help those who were training alone like me, so they would avoid making the mistakes I made. And cuz Im an attention wh@re...

I've noticed that when we Traceurs practice in public, we tend to either scare or impress bystanders, usually entirely unintentionally. Do you scare or impress people with your training?

I usually zone out from what happens around me when Im training. But usually they are just curious. I think I just bring some interest.

Will you sign my callouses?

hmmmm, Ill think about it.

Corndogg
On a scale of 1-10 (10 highest) how bad do you want to come back to SF to jam with us? 

16  :(

Rebecca Myers
What's your favorite kind of cookie?

Mmm, cookie... Im more of a muffin type of guy, but I like oat meal and the classic chocolate cookies.....

Do you like snow?

I miss snow boarding... yeah. But Im probably to spoil here in Hawaii and will freeze my azz off for sure.

Why do you practice parkour?

Wow, got time for this one?

In short, I believe as a specie we have been domesticated and tamed, a leash has been tight around our necks and our ability to survive in term of natural methods has diminished.

I like to think that parkour, among all other activities Im part of, gives me the opportunity to get back in touch with my natural roots. The natural origin of life, which IMO was to explore its possibilities while surviving its dangers. The ability to use the environment on a way that makes me feel one with it. It is a way of helping keep perspective on who we really are in this natural or even urban world. Nothing else but part of it all.

Adam McC
If you had an Acai Cup in one hand, and a newborn baby in the other, which would you let fall to the ground, if you had to drop one?

Whos baby is it?

I still remember your nickname, "Neo". Remember mine? We picked them out while eating burritos and quesadillas.

the weather man!!!!!  ;D

Name three of your best memories from past classes or jams.

1. This happens every class, towards the end of the class.
The satisfaction of seeing a group of people who were not so in tune with their bodies, conquering their fears and displacing on a way that show confident and comfort. The one I remember the most was one of my students was pretty over weight when he started. I think he lost about 30# or so by the end of the bootcamp.

2. Last jam, conquering a pretty huge cat I had not even thought I could do and doing it with ease. The excitement was great but the control that I felt was even better. It really made me feel very proficient in my movement.

3. Last month's class at HA gave me the opportunity to train with someone very special for whom I hold a lot of emotion, respect and admiration. Having her training with me and helping me in the classes was a very memorable experience that filled me with much joy.

This came to my mind just now

Ozzi
"do you want a spotter?"
Adam
"Nah, Im got this"
Remember what happened afterwards? ;)

FrostySTL
As I'm just learning Parkour, at an advanced state of years,   I'd first like to say THANKS for all of your and your guys great tutorial videos!

You are very welcome.

After all the years of training, do you still have mental blocks, where you have trouble performing certain moves?

It is now not so much the move but where Im performing it and the level of difficulty. A cat leap is a simple cat leap, what changes is where we performing, how much power, intensity and commitment we are required to put into it at a certain moment.

I think we all still do, and will continue to get mental blocks, it is part of our training. Excelling and overcoming new fears as challenges become greater.

If so, which moves are currently bothering you?

There is no moves that bother me, but rather moves I'd like to be more proficient or powerful at. Like I said, it is not the technique being used, but the obstacles that we are attempting to overcome that makes you re-think your approach.

I'd like to be much better at dead hang ring muscle ups though.

When you go to Ohio, can I crash with you? I can't go because I can't afford a hotel.

Im crashing at someone else's place bro but we can be homeless together....  ;D

Gregg
Why did Kauai wreck Oahu for you?

I still love Oahu, but Kauai just has this constant peace and pure, more virgin energy, so easy to feel like you are in the middle of no where and master of your own terrain. Oahu is missing some of it, it is way to crowded, to much control. Very hard to get away from everything.

I guess I just felt more free and at peace over there.

What were the biggest things you learned from sleeping at the beach?

I learned that abundance is not how much you really have but rather how much you appreciate everything you already have for as lil as it is and be thankful of it.

That getting up to pee in the middle of the night can save you from being awaken by a rising tide.

That is very important to have alone time, turn cell phones off and just open your eyes.

To always have a rain coat.

And that the moon still seduces me every time.

Where you stay now?

Here and there ;)
Mostly here, some times there.

Jon E
When you get to Ohio, Can i have your Autograph?(Because we know you're going to become famous)

Only if you tattoo it.

How were you introduced to Parkour?

Formally, just watching videos like most everyone else.

When we meet in Columbus(Hopefully), will you help me with my monkey?

Can I pet it?

Chris Seaton
How has Parkour changed your mental philosophy on life?

There have been several changes in perspectives in the last couple year. I can account some of that to parkour, it is mostly the combination of it all which has help me develop a different perspective.

It has helped me broaden my vision of play, enhance my capacity to see through obstacles and enjoy more of the little things that surround us everyday. It has helped me develop a stronger mind and stronger will.

Who do you consider yourself to be most like: Mahatma Gandhi, Obi-Wan Kenobi, or Miyamoto Musashi? 
(cause I see a bit of all three in you)

Bro, As flattered as Im, I cant answer this question. But Ill leave you with this!

I stand for true mental, physical and above all spiritual freedom.
I stand for harmony, peace and self discovery.
I stand for developement of the mind and the powers that lye within it.
I stand for wellness throughout the world.
I stand for fairness and true justice.

I also stand to the fact that if you are not doing anything for yourself, then get out of my way and let me do my thing, because if you cant help yourself then no one will.

You pick my man.

I remember you saying in a video review that you believed Parkour and Freerunning carried with it the potential to create a whole new breed of human being.  Do you still hold that view?

Yes I do, I believe that natural movement in general should be an essential part of our development as kids and all the way to adulthood.
I believe that if we spread this concept eventually the a big part of the human race will evolve. or re evolve back to a stronger, confident and capable more individuals.

Awesome questions guys, thanks a lot for your time.
 Ghandi

WoodlandGhillie

I'd just like to commend you on all of the things you wrote for the creative writing section of APK.

Offline Happy Fries

• Mangabey
    • View Profile

Thanks!
I stepped into a new world. I watched you fly, saw you as a friend, the spirit of dreams. I imagined a new world, lands far away and imagined those faces as you hung in their sky. I'm leaving ground, stepping into a new world.
- Airships

Offline Bao

• Patas
  • Alan Tran
    • View Profile
    • NCParkour
Cheers