Author Topic: all stunt moves in parkour  (Read 2050 times)

Offline CoolOutsider

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
all stunt moves in parkour
« on: June 12, 2010, 02:25:34 AM »
hi guys, I'm new to Parkour, and i have 2 questions

1st i've a been a bboy for 2 and half years,but i started at age 20 but stopped recently due to college final exams,and now i learned a lot about free-running and my question is, can i bboy and free run or should i choose one of them, does one of them effect the other or not...i'm guessing it doesn't matter but i'm just checking.

2nd i want to learn Parkour but without the flips and stunt moves, all i want is to run and over come obstacles like doing monkey vault and other moves, but i don't have to learn the cool things like back flips from 2 stories high right?

thanks guys for any help.
Practice doesn't make perfect....perfect practice makes perfect.

Offline DevintheNinja

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
Re: all stunt moves in parkour
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2010, 06:11:17 AM »
A lot of the "pros" in parkour today were bboys at some point ie: tim livewire sheiff, and oleg v. My honest opinion adding some of the fluetity to freerunning just makes it look that much more impressive. I suggest looking at the 2 athletes I posted above
LVPK-Las Vegas Parkour
Urban Aces LV
I'm a security guard that WILL CHASE YOU!!!!!
Devintheninja's twitter page

Offline DevintheNinja

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2010, 06:12:55 AM »
Also a good example of a guy that doesn't do any flips but has massive flow is king david
LVPK-Las Vegas Parkour
Urban Aces LV
I'm a security guard that WILL CHASE YOU!!!!!
Devintheninja's twitter page

Offline FrostySTL

• Mangabey
  • Not related to Frosti in any way.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2010, 07:23:07 AM »
2nd i want to learn Parkour but without the flips and stunt moves, all i want is to run and over come obstacles like doing monkey vault and other moves, but i don't have to learn the cool things like back flips from 2 stories high right?

Don't even think about dropping from 2 stories, we don't recommend that at all! Only people who have been conditioning and training for many years should even consider it.
"Pick yourself up, dust yourself off, start all over again..."

APK Roof Police Member

Offline bababing

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2010, 07:41:43 AM »
Also Parkour is not like a video game. You dont have to pick a specific path from when you start and follow that path the whole way through. learn Parkour. what does parkour entail though? what ever you want. you dont HAVE to do anything if you dont want to. although defined as "Parkour is the physical discipline of training to overcome any obstacle within one's path by adapting one's movements to the environment." by apk, most practitioners agree that parkour is just motion. keeping that in mind BBoying is movement. i know it may seem like im going all over in this post but im not. Do what YOU want if you dont want to learn to flip dont. if you want to JUST do parkour or JUST do Bboy then thats fine we are not confined to a previous decision in the art of motion. learn somthing if it is fun. learn somthing that is not fun and then dont do it if you want IT IS YOUR DECISION!!! just go out and MOVE

WoodlandGhillie

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2010, 08:05:34 AM »
1: No, you can continue breaking. It's not really going to affect your movement, but may give you a certain style.

2: Okay. Parkour isn't about flips, but you should learn them anyways. It's good practice for proprioception. And, like Dev said, do NOT (!!!) "do a flip off a 2 story building." Sounds dumb right? Well of COURSE IT IS! :P

Good luck, train safe, hard, and condition often.

Offline Austin"Yoshi"

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2010, 09:20:30 AM »
1.being a bboy CONTRIBUTS to parkour and parkour CONTRIBUTES to bboying they both help each other out :)

2.i think your talking about free running because in parkour well a flip doesn't count for parkour hows that ?

Offline Jacob Carter

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2010, 10:31:30 AM »
1. Nope they definitely will not affect each other. Benefit each other most definitely.

2. If you don't want to learn flips then don't. You can choose what you want to learn. Some people are drawn to flips others aren't. The Yamakasi told me when i trained with them that it is all movement. Move the way YOU want to move. Your style will develop from there. Good luck on training and welcome to the parkour community!
Be responsible with your body. You will have it for all of your life. Make it a strong tool. Like bamboo, give it strength, but flexibility. Like water, give it flow, but power. -Adam McC

Offline CoolOutsider

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2010, 01:41:46 AM »
oh thanks guys....i never knew many famous free runners were bboys.....and thanks i'll continue both bboying and and will learn free-running...and reason i'm afraid to learn flips is because this sport like bboying is considered odd in my country and i can't find people to train with..and we don't spacial places to train so i have to improvise.....and lol i was joking about the 2 story height...and ur right guys i don't have to learn flips if i don't want.....it's because i like to run, i jogging 3 times a week about 6-8 kilometers.....that's why i loved this new sport....all i have to do is start running instead of jogging...and as for moves to over come obstacles it will come in time.
thanks again guys for ur help....and very happy to be part of this new amazing community.
Practice doesn't make perfect....perfect practice makes perfect.

Offline Sala

• Patas
  • Cell:230.4570 Hit me up! We go Train
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2010, 01:02:25 AM »
Bboys unite!

Lol. Ive been bboying for about 5 years. almost as long as ive been doing parkour! If anything its made my Parkour so much better then people with out any other background. Except those martial arts cats. There beast.

If anything, just make sure to scatter your training. Trying to pump out 10 flares is hard as hell if you spent the entire day doing climp ups and what not. You dont want to be worn out before you start training. that just promotes bad form/technique. Which is bad for bboying and parkour
If we cant make love, we can always make peace. Cant we?

Offline lethalbeef

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2010, 11:54:00 PM »
Might be worthwhile to take a look at more parkour videos and read some more articles about what it really is. A lot of people come into parkour and think that it's just about flips and jumping roof gaps but there's a lot more depth in there than that. I'm not blaming the videos out there because there is a call for that kind of spectacle - if all there was was videos of us conditioning all day, I don't think very many people would have gotten interested in parkour at all, but thanks to them we get an interesting mix of fitness people who want something more exciting and "extreme" guys who might tone things down a bit. In any case, there are tons of resources for training parkour in many different ways, and as Bababing says, what parkour ultimately is is something that you define by how you train.