Author Topic: MN: I'ao Valley  (Read 1995 times)

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
MN: I'ao Valley
« on: July 09, 2009, 10:58:08 PM »

Plenty rails and often slippery rock walls near the parking lot for people scared of getting dirty and wet. Plenty places for small kine swimming. Couple places to jump into water. Seen pics of people jumping the bridge, but it's shallow and rocky - you best know exactly where to hit or you'll be going home on a backboard.

Best hikes - 1: head down the path thru the guava. Head upstream. Close your eyes. "What sign?" Keep going upstream on trails until no more trails, then rock-hop the stream. Don't do the rock-hopping if it's been raining. Flash floods are NOT your friend.

2: Hike up to the little observation lean-to. Vault the rails. Follow the trail until it gets all muddy and dead-ends at the 'table' in the middle of the valley. It's a very cool view.

I've heard you can hike to the Needle and climb the back. Never met anyone who's actually done it tho.

Historically - a couple of Pi'ilani's warriors avoided certain death by hiking from I'ao thru to Oluwalu. All the rest died. The last person I heard who tried this hike got stranded partway, and had to be helicoptered out. MAUI NEWS STORY

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
Re: MN: I'ao Valley
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 03:56:33 PM »
This is your road.

This is how you get to point B

This is how you don't  ;D

Special thanks to Tim and Tom Fyrel from BAPK