Author Topic: Rewrite APK's definition of Parkour: A Collaborative Effort  (Read 23339 times)

Offline zayn

• Hirundo Rustica
  • i dont like real pics. They steal ur SOUL!
    • View Profile
Re: Rewrite APK's definition of Parkour: A Collaborative Effort
« Reply #80 on: September 23, 2009, 04:43:43 PM »
yea thats a good start
I am the prophet nemesis. Guardian of the Nexus and void. God of death.

"free-ur mind" morphious
"Slow is smooth and smooth is fast" Sensei England and Sensei Geroge -miss them alot-
http://teamnexus.moogo.com/
http://teamnexus13.webs.com/

Offline John Conway

• Mangabey
  • John Conway
    • View Profile
    • CouchSurfer
« Reply #81 on: September 23, 2009, 08:20:28 PM »
Sorry for not posting sooner, I have been very busy this week with events, classes, school, and a birthday.  I understand that the deadline has technically passed but I hope my rather quick and quite imperfect definition be considered as at least inspiration for the final definition along with the others. 

The Art of Movement

“To live for others and give of yourself.” Yann Hnautra, founding member of The Yamakasi.

The discipline originally known as L’art du Deplacement, now called parkour, or sometimes freerunning was founded over 20 years ago in France by a group of nine friends who called themselves The Yamakasi.  Born in Evry and Sarcelle the art evolved through physical games and tests of strength, endurance and agility. It is a highly physical training discipline involving running, jumping, climbing, balancing, dropping and mastering one's own movements. The means and the method of the discipline is the refine of one’s body movement during interaction with one’s environment as one passes through it.  Parkour seeks to be a holistic discipline whereby the physical training mirrors deeper concepts of navigating life with humility, altruism, and profound self-discipline.  In the end however parkour is a discipline which is wholly experiential in nature - something that must be practiced to be understood, not discussed or categorized.

Just as a nice add on (don't know how similar or dissimilar this is the APK's info):

Parkour: The invented word ‘parkour’ originates from the French parcours du combattant, a phrase meaning ‘course of the fighter’ which was the original term for the military-style obstacle courses now used by armed forces around the world. From parcours, meaning ‘course’ came the altered ‘Parkour’. David Belle credits his friend Hubert Kounde for having coined the word.

Traceurs: A French term that originated as the name of a group of practitioners – Les Traceurs – consisting of several of the original French practitioners including Stephane Vigroux, David Belle, Johann Vigroux, Seb Foucan and Kazuma. Derived from the word for bullet and meaning someone who follows his or her own way, it is now widely used in reference to all practitioners.

Sources:
Videos:
"Jump Westminster", "A.D.A.P.T. Parkour & L'art du Deplacement"
Articles:
"The Meaning of Strength", "Le Parkour - An Overview", "A Note on Terminology", "Parkour History" (all by Dan Edwardes)

That paragraph where you copy the video of ADAPT is exactly what I was going to write myself.

Offline zayn

• Hirundo Rustica
  • i dont like real pics. They steal ur SOUL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 24, 2009, 05:24:53 AM »
nice description man.....didnt know that David Belle was of the Yamakasi
I am the prophet nemesis. Guardian of the Nexus and void. God of death.

"free-ur mind" morphious
"Slow is smooth and smooth is fast" Sensei England and Sensei Geroge -miss them alot-
http://teamnexus.moogo.com/
http://teamnexus13.webs.com/

Offline Jeremy Osborn

• Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • Wisconsin Parkour
« Reply #83 on: September 25, 2009, 02:29:15 PM »
nice description man.....didnt know that David Belle was of the Yamakasi
he used to be.. then he and sebastien foucan cut off from them because of their different views
Wisconsin Parkour

Your friendly neighborhood Techno-head.

"The Chinese use two brush strokes for the word 'crisis', one stands for danger, the other for opportunity. In a crisis, be aware of the danger, but recognize the opportunity."

Offline Zachary Cohn

• APK Alliance
  • Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • I do cool stuff.
    • View Profile
    • ZacCohn.com
« Reply #84 on: September 25, 2009, 06:11:27 PM »
I'm a few days late posting, but just so people know:

Submissions for the APK Parkour Definition are now closed.

We will be going through and consider the best parts of all of the entries, and formulate the new definition. Watch the front page for the announcement! Thank you to everyone who participated!

Offline lethalbeef

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 30, 2009, 04:34:53 PM »
edit: whoops, didn't read the last post. Super late on this one, sorry!

Parkour is a discipline in which we learn and apply skills that help us creatively and completely navigate our environment using only our bodies.

I leave out "quickly and efficiently as possible" because I don't think it's just freerunners who aren't trying to move efficiently - when we work on flow or games like add-on and such, we are still doing parkour without efficiency or necessarily speed. I think it's important to include the aspect of "learning" and training. Creativity is what makes us different than runners (we're not always faster than them anyway - part of escape is deceiving your pursuants). Completely allows us to us all of the environment. Which leads to the last part, that our interaction with the environment is what separates us from many other creative, alternative physical disciplines like dance, jogging, tricking, gymnastics, etc. We are the ones who use what's there and learn to work with it in every way.

With our own bodies and nothing else, obviously.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 04:37:06 PM by lethalbeef »

Offline Zachary Cohn

• APK Alliance
  • Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • I do cool stuff.
    • View Profile
    • ZacCohn.com
« Reply #86 on: October 13, 2009, 06:56:46 AM »
The final definition is up! Read the announcement here!

Offline Corndogg

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • SF Parkour
« Reply #87 on: October 13, 2009, 09:45:47 AM »
I sincerely hope this new definition resonates with people as much as it does for me.  I was honored to be a part of the redefinition committee and we did our best to take all points to date into consideration and come up with something that not only clarifies parkour for newcomers, but sets the groundwork for the parkour community going forward.  It was an excellent team effort, with lots of good points made all around, and of course while there are always compromises when trying to define "movement" through "words," I think this definition is something the community can really take to heart.  I know I am!
SF Parkour // SFPK - | Website | Forum | YouTube |
Serving the Greater San Francisco Bay Area

Offline Corndogg

• Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • SF Parkour
« Reply #88 on: October 13, 2009, 10:22:29 AM »
From morgvanny in the announcement comments:

"It's good...but I think it's missing the word "efficient." That seems kind of important to me...

In my opinion, if you want to know what parkour is, just listen to David Belle. He may not lay it out as plainly as the thing above, but I think if you just listen to what he has to say, and practice parkour yourself, you'll understand parkour much more than if you read a definition like what we have here.

No disrespect intended - I know people worked hard on this - and I do think it has value. Just saying. "

Thanks for the feedback!  I think the goal was to change things up from the standard "Get from point A to B the quickest and most efficient way" definition.  There were a lot of comments that "efficient" can be a bit vague and subjective at times, and may not even be applicable at all times in an "escape and reach" emergency situation.  That said, there is more coming which will clarify the differences between parkour and freerunning, and "efficient" is there.  And as you noted, its hard to consolidate a philosophy, a lengthy description, and movement all into something short and easy that total newcomers can understand.  Hopefully this sets people on the right path.
SF Parkour // SFPK - | Website | Forum | YouTube |
Serving the Greater San Francisco Bay Area

Offline Dan Elric

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: October 13, 2009, 12:38:43 PM »
Yeah, I love it.  It is a definition and it covers what parkour is without using buzzwords like, "efficiency."

This is a positive step for parkour.

Offline Alec Furtado

• kicks butt.
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • Balance.
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: October 13, 2009, 02:00:04 PM »
I like it a lot. It's just very basic and easy to understand. I love how more explanations are included above, since that's usually how we end up thinking anyway when trying to define it. :D

The animation is SICK too. ;)
Water conforms to the shape of it's surroundings. Do not be water. Shape your own life.

Offline Alissa J. Bratz

• Hirundo Rustica
  • middle-aged man in mom's basement eating Fritos
    • View Profile
    • wisconsinparkour.com
« Reply #91 on: October 13, 2009, 04:23:31 PM »
Thank you so much for the feedback, everyone! I, too, was very honored to participate in this as it brought together elements of the things I love most in this world: parkour, teaching, and words/language. It was amazing to get feedback from the whole community and go through peoples' thoughts and ideas.

Corndogg was spectacular in really driving the process and keeping us on task. I learned a lot from you, my friend!

This was a wonderful experience and I'm really proud of the definition we ("we" = ALL of APK here, not just the committee) came up with. :)

She followed slowly, taking a long time,
as though there were some obstacle in the way;
and yet: as though, once it was overcome,
she would be beyond all walking, and would fly.
--excerpt from Going Blind, Rainer Maria Rilke

www.madisonparkour.com

Offline John Conway

• Mangabey
  • John Conway
    • View Profile
    • CouchSurfer
« Reply #92 on: October 14, 2009, 07:52:06 AM »
My feedback: Love it. Great job!

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #93 on: October 15, 2009, 04:34:46 AM »
Thanks everyone who participated, great job!!
Be Useful.
If I don't try to make the world a better place, who will?
Every person has a choice - live by your fears or live by your dreams

Offline noxteryn

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • The Japan Man
    • View Profile
    • Parkour Greece
« Reply #94 on: October 16, 2009, 06:43:04 PM »
Parkour is the physical discipline of training to overcome any obstacle within one's path by adapting one's movements to the environment.

Am I the only one who finds this definition terribly vague?

Whatever happened to speed, efficiency, and all the other principles of Parkour that made it what it is?

Is Parkour now just about jumping over things like an idiot?

I thought it was supposed to have a useful purpose...
"Practice makes permanent - not perfect."

Offline Dan Elric

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 16, 2009, 06:59:15 PM »
Parkour is the physical discipline of training to overcome any obstacle within one's path by adapting one's movements to the environment.

Am I the only one who finds this definition terribly vague?

Whatever happened to speed, efficiency, and all the other principles of Parkour that made it what it is?

Is Parkour now just about jumping over things like an idiot?

I thought it was supposed to have a useful purpose...

No, speed and efficiency were buzz terms coined by a single traceur.  Many of us agreed that it would be best to leave them out.  This might be confusing to you if you think freerunning and parkour are separate things.

Offline noxteryn

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • The Japan Man
    • View Profile
    • Parkour Greece
« Reply #96 on: October 17, 2009, 01:48:07 PM »
So, let me get this straight:

You turned Parkour into Free-Running, and the old Parkour doesn't exist anymore?

Interesting...

So, the people who still practice useful and efficient movement - instead of moving for the sake of moving or being fluid like water or expressing themselves - no longer have a term to specifically describe what they do?
"Practice makes permanent - not perfect."

Offline Dan Elric

• Ambassador
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 17, 2009, 02:52:26 PM »
So, let me get this straight:

You turned Parkour into Free-Running, and the old Parkour doesn't exist anymore?

Interesting...

So, the people who still practice useful and efficient movement - instead of moving for the sake of moving or being fluid like water or expressing themselves - no longer have a term to specifically describe what they do?

No, we just established what already was.  There is a consensus among senior practitioners that l'art du deplacement, freerunning, and parkour are all the same thing - movement.

Offline Zachary Cohn

• APK Alliance
  • Global Moderator
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • I do cool stuff.
    • View Profile
    • ZacCohn.com
« Reply #98 on: October 17, 2009, 04:55:51 PM »
Just wanted to let you guys know, we made this link so you guys can spread it around a little bit easier.

Check out http://www.americanparkour.com/whatisparkour

Offline Mark Toorock

• M2
  • Administrator
  • Hirundo Rustica
    • View Profile
    • American Parkour
« Reply #99 on: October 18, 2009, 04:40:35 AM »
No, American Parkour does not view Parkour and Freerunning as the same thing. This definition is for Parkour, there is still (and will be) one for freerunning.

Noxytern, please read this thread, if you can make a valid argument that Parkour is efficient we're all ears, but efficient really is a crappy word because it can mean so many different things - speed, economy (rest) safety, etc could all be factors of efficiency and THAT is vague :)
Be Useful.
If I don't try to make the world a better place, who will?
Every person has a choice - live by your fears or live by your dreams