Author Topic: Rickety's journal  (Read 15102 times)

Offline Rickety

• Guenons
    • View Profile
Re: Rickety's journal
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2006, 01:56:24 PM »
Bah, humbug!

Back seriously freaking out. Gnarly muscles spasms today. Little things like moving my foot from the accelerator to the brake can hurt like hell, never mind actually getting in or out of the car.

I'm taking big doses of ibuprofen, using a heat pad, and resting.

Blah.

less talk; less prep; less think; more do

Offline CyanideSoda

• Puntastic
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • I didn't know you could put words here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2006, 06:15:37 PM »
Dude you might want to go to the doctor. Your joints sound really messed up.

The ReTraining Logs of CyanideSoda
  Post constructive comments please.

Offline Rickety

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2006, 10:14:13 AM »
Dude you might want to go to the doctor. Your joints sound really messed up.
Thanks, but nah. I'm pretty sure this is just the nature of trying to do something which is intense relative to my level of fitness. It's a learning curve, and fitness curve. I have to learn my limits, and expand them.

The back feels a bit better today, though still significantly off. So, it turns out my back is weaker than I'd thought and I need to incorporate more back exercises into my regimen. I'll see what I can figure out in that regard.

Offline Rickety

• Guenons
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2006, 09:09:46 AM »
OK, still here, still intent. However, the last week has been a week of sloth. It's been at least partly sloth with a purpose, as I need to rest some injuries and I don't know which exercises are safe for what.

Injury status:
  • right houlder--feels fine, but haven't been stressing it at all. Might be all better.
  • shin splints--feel fine, but haven't been stressing them.
  • lower-right back--Much better than this time last week, can still feel it, particularly late in the day. Taking ibuprofen about once a day rather than every 6 hours.
  • left wrist--definitely worse than I'd expected it to be. Not sure what's up, how much is muscle versus other stuff. Hmmm.

So, upcoming exercise will unfortunately be largely of a therapeutic nature. I still have to figure out what exercises are going to be helpful rather than harmful.

Interestingly, since I've been slothful my diet has gone to hell also--I'm hungrier, and hungrier for more crap. This is evidence for my theory that when I exercise regularly my diet largely takes care of itself. I wasn't sure about this, since I formed the theory when I was much younger.

Minimum goals for today:
  • stretching
  • lower-leg exercises to combat shin splints
  • experiment with other light strength exercises--pushups, crunches, body squats
    [/list]

Offline Eric Kropp

• Mangabey
      • View Profile
    « Reply #24 on: September 27, 2006, 03:38:34 PM »
    Here is a tip you'd like.  Once your shin splints are fully healed, just walk around your house or yard barefoot on your heels.  It helps a ton with preventing shint splints.

Offline Rickety

• Guenons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #25 on: September 27, 2006, 03:58:24 PM »
    Here is a tip you'd like.  Once your shin splints are fully healed, just walk around your house or yard barefoot on your heels.  It helps a ton with preventing shint splints.
    Yep! I saw that suggestion before. I tend to be barefoot as much as possible anyway, so I'll incorporate that with the other stuff. Thanks!

Offline Rickety

• Guenons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #26 on: September 27, 2006, 04:20:51 PM »
    Today:

body squats -- at the bottom, they hurt my back. I'll decide whether to do them at all, maybe by doing a smaller motion, or to avoid them until the back feels better. Possibly do wall-sits as partial substitute.

pushups -- hurt left hand/wrist if palming the ground. It's OK if I use fist on the ground (on something soft). I *think* back is OK, but I'll need to try it a little more to figure that out. Likewise, I'll need to figure out if it re-aggravates the shoulder.

cobra -- so-so for wrist, seems fine for back & shoulder.

cross-crunches -- Fine to left, odd to right. If I do them carefully back's OK, if I don't it isn't.

calf raises & ankle raises -- don't bother anything, hopefully will help shin splints.

front-bend feels good.

I'm going to leave it at that for today to see if there's any backlash.

Offline Rickety

• Guenons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #27 on: October 17, 2006, 05:08:15 PM »
    Been a while

Today:
    -6 Sun Salutations in the morning
    -3 times during the day, 50 ankle raises, and a number of calf raises (balance is the trick on the calf raises).

Injury status:
    - Shin splints seem much improved, though I haven't pushed it yet. Going to start some barefoot running shortly.
    - Right shoulder doesn't bother me in most circumstances, though it stll feels tweaky after exercise (I generally feel it when I've exercised, and I'm using that arm to hold my kid).
    - Left wrist definitely still off.

I'm going to try adding glucosamine to my vast pill consumption and see what that does for me. I'm pretty sure I'm ready to stop resting so much and start pushing a bit more again.

I met Jiminy in the park on Sunday, and it was fun to meet a fellow aspirant. He should have kongs down any day now, but I'm still a good ways off. He showed me lots of crazy exercises. In fact, my abs are still a bit sore (in a good way), I think from those hanging-crunches or whatever the hell you'd call them.

Offline Rickety

• Guenons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #28 on: October 18, 2006, 01:08:11 PM »
    Today:
    -2 times during the day, 50 ankle raises, and a number of calf raises--probably more still to come.
    -Some of the park par-course, including barefoot running. Woohoo!

Injury status:
    - I could feel that I had had shin splints when I was running, but it didn't significantly screw me up. I didn't push it really hard, so hopefully I'm not pushing things backwards again.
    - Right shoulder didn't interfere with exercise, can still feel it.
    - Left wrist interferes a bit with the sun salutations, makes interesting snapping noises when I rotate it.
    - I can feel my back a bit again today. Not a problem yet, but I'd rather not even feel the weirdness, so I'm not pushing it.

3g glucosamine added to my breakfast regimen

My time resting has had quite an impact, I can't do pushups for crap.

Need to re-evaluate goals.

Offline Jumpin Jiminy

• Patas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #29 on: October 18, 2006, 02:04:07 PM »
    Hey Rickety, those were hanging Knees to Elbows (K2E).  I need to work those a lot more, actually rather do those than crunches or situps due to prior tailbone bruising.  That was a good day other than the wet grass making rail precisions impossible.
    I was thinking about your back, reminds me when mine was similar.  I then started doing a lot of one leged straight leg dead lifts with no weight or ten pounds.  It improved my hamstrings and lower back strength a bit.  I think they may be called King Dead Lifts (DKL).  Are you going to get or make a set of rings?  I saw some great plans for homemade ones using heated pvc on crossfit.com.  Haven't tried the kongs since but may try again in a couple days due to overtraining for the past two weeks.  Stick with it and you will keep improving and having more fun.

Offline cgpk-0

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
      • View Profile
    « Reply #30 on: October 18, 2006, 06:25:04 PM »
    hey have im moving back to phoenix what part are you moving to and how old ru

Offline Rickety

• Guenons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #31 on: October 18, 2006, 06:48:56 PM »
    hey have im moving back to phoenix what part are you moving to and how old ru
    I'm in North Phoenix--7th St. & Union Hills (nearish to I-17 & 101). And I'm 3 times your age! Wow.

I might start spending more time near ASU main, though, in which case we should meet up. I still completely suck, but that doesn't stop me from wanting to meet other traceurs.

Offline Rickety

• Guenons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #32 on: October 18, 2006, 06:59:12 PM »
    That was a good day other than the wet grass making rail precisions impossible.

I tried those a bit again today, and decided it wasn't so much the wetness as my crappy balance! Today was perfectly dry.

I was thinking about your back, reminds me when mine was similar.  I then started doing a lot of one leged straight leg dead lifts with no weight or ten pounds.  It improved my hamstrings and lower back strength a bit.  I think they may be called King Dead Lifts (DKL).

The back is a big motivation for doing the sun salutations, I've been advised that they can be a big help. As for the King Deadlifts, wow, those are not quite as crazy as pistols. Tricky, but I'll try to do them at least some of the time. Thanks!

I'm thinking of getting rings. Not sure about making, since I don't have a heat gun, and don't want to buy one for a single project. On the other hand, my wife loves tools, so she'd probably think it was great. Or maybe I could figure out how to use a more available heat source. Hmm. I really liked the rings that you had--strong, the straps were long and easily adjustable. So I might wind up purchasing rather than making. But rings seem like they'd be a great addition.

Can one practice muscle-ups at all sanely with rings?

We need to find a good place to try the duct-tape underbar practice. let me know if you see anything at a different park.

Offline cgpk-0

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
      • View Profile
    « Reply #33 on: October 18, 2006, 07:24:52 PM »
    ok so your like 39 wow i feel like a dumbass :P

Offline Rickety

• Guenons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #34 on: October 18, 2006, 07:40:29 PM »
    OK, not quite 3 times--I'm 36. No reason to feel like a dumbass, though!

Offline Jumpin Jiminy

• Patas
      • View Profile
    « Reply #35 on: October 19, 2006, 07:57:42 AM »
    Muscle ups can be assisted with bands or jumpin and slow negatives.  I got one today at chin height.  A little higher each time.
    As for heating the homemade version, they said heating in an oven at 350 for a 30 minutes or more.
    I will keep an eye out for assisted underbar areas.  Maybe a short pullup bar would do, in that case there is one at Cactus park.
    BTW, I may be 40, but I feel 25 today.

Offline Rickety

• Guenons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #36 on: October 19, 2006, 08:11:32 PM »
    Today:
    -2 times during the day, 50 ankle raises, and a number of calf raises

Not enough! Must do more!

I did buy a jump-rope.

Offline Rickety

• Guenons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #37 on: October 24, 2006, 04:46:53 PM »
    Today:
    - 2 times during the day, 50 ankle raises, and a number of calf raises--possibly more later.

Ran some of the par-course at Deer Valley Park. Running bothered shin splints some, so it was off-and-on (barefoot on the grass). Did some of the other stuff along the way.

I'm amazed how fast fitness fades. I can't manage 3 sets of 13 pushups anymore. Dang.

Shoulder, back & wrist--I didn't notice shoulder at all today. Wrist I noticed slightly. Back I felt this morning, but not while exercising.

Later:
    - Another round of ankle raises / calf raises, generally do calf raises unti I lose balance, usually around 25 now.
    - 5 mins forward bend
    - 3 mins achilles, each leg
    - More pushups 12/12/12

Upcoming?
    - I subscribed to the WOD
    - I should think about incorporating Tabata & ladder structure to some exercises
    - Start some King Deadlifts
    - Figure out goals
    « Last Edit: October 24, 2006, 10:05:09 PM by Rickety »

Offline Rickety

• Guenons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #38 on: October 26, 2006, 04:46:20 PM »
    Today:
    - 3 times during the day, 50 ankle raises, and a number of calf raises, managed ~ 45 before losing balance
    - 6 sun salutations, also 2 during warmup & 2 during cooldown at par-course run
    - a few bouts of 13 pushups
    - a few bouts of 20 body squats

Ran some of the par-course at Deer Valley Park. Overdid it a bit. Slight improvement in balance at attempted precisions.

Did I mention that I hate shin-splints? I may have gone back to making them worse, dammit.

Shoulder, back & wrist--No noticeable trouble with shoulder, can feel back, but it didn't bother me. Wrist still makes popping noise, but hasn't hurt or hindered anything. I'm making sure to stretch wrists before & after workouts now.

Need to stretch more tonight. Tomorrow will probably take it easy pre-Saturday-jam.

Offline Rickety

• Guenons
      • View Profile
    « Reply #39 on: October 30, 2006, 01:40:50 PM »
    Friday, nothing but ankle & calf raises

Saturday: Jam in Tempe with locals & TeamMoz. Lots of folks! Jiminy was there. Thanks to motive & Rek for organization!

Again, I learned a little, tried some stuff I wouldn't normally have tried, and got some pointers.

Some things I learned:
    - I have a little more power in my precisions than I thought (I still have no precision, but I knew that already).
    - cat-leaps are easier than they look, but getting over the wall once you've landed is harder than it looks.

I decided to experiment with rolling on concrete. just from crouching or standing, not a real landing. I've learned that my rolls are even worse than I thought. While I knew I sometimes hurt my shoulder and back a bit, rolling on concrete I realized I was also bonking a piece of spine. Ick! So, it's good to know for the moment that a roll might be worse than nothing for me.

Sunday: Rest, nothing but ankle/calf raises.

Today:
    - Ankle/calf raises. I might soon start incorporating extra weight into the ankle raises,or maybe extra weight a couple days a week.
    - A few sun salutations
    - Played at the park with my son, so I couldn't run around much. Tried short-distance precisions, and I still suck, but a bit better. A bunch of pullups (2 pullups, 5 times).

Injury status:
    - Everything seems a little worse after the jam, but not critically. I can feel weirdness in the shoulder again. Back's a bit tweaky, I think pullups today were too much for the back, actually.

Diet:
    - I'm adding (skim) milk back into my diet for the first time in years. Something tells me my skeleton could use the calcium given the pounding I'm starting to give it.
    - Fish oil tends to be 2g with breakfast, rather than with every meal as I'd started out.
    - Still taking glucosamine with breakfast
    - Diet radically improved from a few months ago. Less crap, more greens.

GOALS??
    - Not sure how to make this concrete, but my fuzzy goal is movement rather than fitness. Keeping it fuzzy for now, my goal is to practice vaults a bunch.
    « Last Edit: October 30, 2006, 01:46:08 PM by Rickety »