Author Topic: In case of worry about knees....  (Read 3688 times)

Offline dilet2e

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
  • The LAST thing we want is a level playing field!!
    • View Profile
In case of worry about knees....
« on: September 08, 2009, 07:08:17 PM »
There's a new study out that exercise such as running not only does NOT increase the risk for arthritis, it may stave it off!

Here's a link to an article...
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=112556135&ps=cprs

The thing to avoid is INJURING the knees. So train, just train safely.

[I suppose people think if they don't go out and run & stuff, they reduce the risk of injury... but getting overweight and out of shape is ALSO really bad for knees, and the low back, and everything else!]

--Terri
-Terri

Offline Timothy Chen Allen

• Patas
  • "The limits are further out than you think"
    • View Profile
    • My blog
Re: In case of worry about knees....
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2009, 03:19:05 AM »
There's a new study out that exercise such as running not only does NOT increase the risk for arthritis, it may stave it off!

Here's a link to an article...
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=112556135&ps=cprs

The thing to avoid is INJURING the knees. So train, just train safely.

[I suppose people think if they don't go out and run & stuff, they reduce the risk of injury... but getting overweight and out of shape is ALSO really bad for knees, and the low back, and everything else!]

--Terri
I totally agree.  My knees have a collective experience of 90 years :) . But I've been continuously running and doing crazy stuff like parkour all along and have no knee trouble.  The one thing I do have is a 75% ACL tear from a Tae Kwon Do accident 14 years ago.  I've never had it operated on; I just strengthened the muscles around it and it's never really bothered me.  That said, I will never take up skiing (too much side load on that ACL)!.
Timothy Chen Allen
"The limits are further out than you think"
Washington, DC
Facebook:TimothyChenAllen
My training log
President's Challenge Parkour Group

Offline John

• Oryctolagus Cuniculus
    • View Profile
Re: In case of worry about knees....
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2012, 09:36:26 AM »
That is good to hear.

I am really interested in parkour as a means to increase strength, range of motion and overall ufnctional fitness, but am a bit worried about my joints. I've had a trick knee since I was a teenager, and am a bit hesitant to get into anything that it too high impact on my joints. However, I would ideally like to strengthen my joints and add lean muscle to my frame to make me more resistant to injury.