Author Topic: Njam HI - MN lunch [or supper?]  (Read 4432 times)

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
Njam HI - MN lunch [or supper?]
« on: August 27, 2009, 04:09:58 PM »
Here's the thread so far from emails...

OZZI:
Does anyone know any pig hunters?
Would be cool to go pig hunting with a bunch of traceus and then have a big roast....

BRANDON:
actually i know of a couple dudes who go out in the forest with bows to hunt pigs...(serious)

RYAN F:
pig hunting = bad idea, I've gone before and it's not really safe at all.  I mean as in someone could get gored and get seriously injured or even die... so yeah I would definitely not recommend this activity to people who have first aren't familiar with the area second have little experience with hunting big game (they aren't small animals).  Last time I went one of my friends dogs got killed, I didn't exactly enjoy myself... there's tons of other stuff we could do that don't involve such big risks.

OZZI:
Word, thanks bro.

GREGG:
Thanks. I'd never gone, just flushed deer and goats when I was running cross-country in hellish rocky places. That was very cool for me, probably stressful and annoying for the deer and goats. You could always load a pack of huli chicken on someone's back, and give them a minute headstart. You'd still get the thrill of the hunt, and eating after the kill. It's not the same, though...
  I nominate Ian. ;D I don't know if anyone would be able to catch him though... probably just a good way to get people hurt and lost. Never mind.

OZZI:
Lol, that sounds like a good idea. Ian better be fast, I know hes stamina will help, but he better be fast ;-)

GREGG:
Well, depends how many people you have - I don't think he'll be too fast if he's got to carry lunch for 50 people ;D. Maybe give the fastest guys meat, and some slower guys the mac and potato salad, bags of ice, etc.
  In a light forest, a 60 second head start is HUGE. In an open area, it's nothing. And then Ozzi can be the predator - he starts 60 seconds after everyone else. Anyone he catches becomes "undead", and part of the clean-up crew. Just some ideas ;D
  Shall we keep working on this thread by email, or take it to the forums?

OZZI:
Take this ideas to the forum, itll entice people.

IAN:
That actually sounds really fun.  I'm up for it.  Especially if it's in the woods, 60 seconds is plenty

OZZI:
Yo Ian, you should be posting on that APK thread, Being he HIpk team, you should be repping brother.

cranialpk

Re: Njam HI - MN lunch [or supper?]
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2009, 07:37:20 PM »
ya I think that it sounds like a great idea
i personally think hunting a boar would be cool as a group
Didn't Jon Winchester once kill a boar by himself with just a rock?
i think we could do it if we just had knives and maybe a couple of bows

turtlekarma

« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2009, 12:48:43 AM »
there are some trails that start at the base of mountain and end at residential area at the top that someone could drive up with food and drinks.... meet us at the top for the reward?  there's one i know of right next to UH manoa campus (nice picnic area at the top)....carrying food is a pain in the butt, in my opinion... especially drinks.  I mean having little packed lunches is cool for a hike, but carrying food for pot luck up a mountain with ozzi chasing us would most likely end up with lots of food smashed/ dropped and wasted.... it would be fun.... but we'd probably end up eating mush by the time we got up there. 

Ozzi, just curious... is it normal to fund raise for national jams?  Or is it more the responsibility of visiting peoples to pay their own way... cause I think more people would be able to come if we could raise money to host them. 

Also are you trying to get guys from the other islands to come? 

« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 12:52:10 AM by Ryan F. HIPK »

Offline Ozzi

• Sexability Head Coach
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • HIpk
    • View Profile
    • Hawaii Parkour
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2009, 11:29:52 AM »
I want everyone to come.

Fundraiser for hosting would be a good idea, it is not commonly done but then again, most people drive, take the train, rarely have to fly. So to come here it is of course more expensive. It'll encourage more to come if we can help with hosting.

Any ideas?
"Be the change you want to see in the world"
 Ghandi

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2009, 12:11:27 PM »
Ryan, I like that you offer alternatives. Drinks at the top of the mountain is lots better than having them smashed on the rocks below.

I think it's normal to pay your own way unless you're part of the APK special team [like Ozzi, Ryan Ford, M2, etc.] - like Ozzi says - more expensive to come here, so if we can help with expenses somehow... that's why I was thinking the hunting game.

If I can afford to come, and get time off, I'll be there.

--- --- --- ---
What I want is a hunt experience, with a tangible payoff.

1. "Food" - yes, carrying food is a pain in the butt. That's the point. It's a physical challenge. I _WANT_ the food to be caught, but I want it to be a fun challenge. Carrying a t-shirt is not a challenge. Plus, it may not fit the "hunter". Carrying a rock or wearing a weight vest gives the "food" guy a challenge, but there's no pay off. These would be HIpk guys, working solo or in pairs. Orange shirts, have to make a noise every minute or so... Any "food" guys who make it to the eating spot without being caught get to eat those items first.

2. "Hunter" - This is mostly for the mainland people, in my mind. It depends how many people show up. I think they should buddy up. If they can catch the food, they carry it to the meeting spot, and they get to eat that item first.

3. "Predator" - This is to keep mainland people on their toes. Should Ozzi start off first, or last? I'm thinking first. He should wear camoflage, be hard to see. His job is to pick off people who go off by themselves, or stragglers. One predator may not be enough. "Hunters" should scream and overact death scenes if they've been killed. That way other hunters know approximately where the predator was. Should "hunters" be able to take out "predators"? Maybe if they gang up?

4. "Dead" - Dead "food", dead "hunters" and people who don't want to play the game. They just walk up to the meeting spot, but can't eat until after the others.

JCDubb

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2009, 11:12:32 PM »
ooo sounds like fun.  can i be a predator too? or a secondary bait would be fun.

JCDubb

« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2009, 11:18:29 PM »
ya I think that it sounds like a great idea
i personally think hunting a boar would be cool as a group
Didn't Jon Winchester once kill a boar by himself with just a rock?
i think we could do it if we just had knives and maybe a couple of bows

hunting in hawaii is illegal if you don't have a license, with a knife or a bow. Also, hunting pig with people who have never been before and w/o dogs is just going to end up as a hike. pigs are very smart and you will never even get to see one let alone get off a shot. lets keep to the "human hunt" but w/o knives of bows. :)

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2009, 10:30:31 AM »
Hunting license is $10 + $5 tag + 2 day class for Hawaii residents. That's affordable. My friend, a hunter, was always seeing goats, and pointing them out to me. I couldn't see them. Even he didn't see pigs when we hiked, only freshly torn up ground, where they'd been.

Human hunt... I'm thinking 5 or 6 food, 2 predators for a large group. 2 or 3 food and 1 predator for a small group. Depends how many people there are, how much food, terrain, how much we send with the van...

turtlekarma

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2009, 11:32:23 PM »
I want everyone to come.

Fundraiser for hosting would be a good idea, it is not commonly done but then again, most people drive, take the train, rarely have to fly. So to come here it is of course more expensive. It'll encourage more to come if we can help with hosting.

Any ideas?

1.  Selling bento's/ food, Zippy's always is good.
2. carwash, the only thing with a car wash is that we'd need lots of pretty girls for it to be effective... not being sexist, but that's really the only thing that matters (chevron in kahala is good place)
3.  hold an Parkour event at a club (xylohs will give 100% of money you make to you after you pay a fee to use the club).
4. technically it's legal to go down and preform on the streets of waikiki as long as you only ask for "donations." 

We would need people committed to coming out to help, maybe instead of a jam we could replace it with a fund raising day?  What kind of a goal would you like to set ozzi?  If you're serious about raising some monies I don't doubt a group of maybe 20 committed people could raise anywhere from $2000-$6000 by december. 
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 01:46:46 AM by Ryan F. HIPK »

cranialpk

« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2009, 08:38:25 PM »
im down to help out with anything
i think fundraisers sound like a great idea
ill ask around to see if there is anywhere else we could do fundraisers
hey ozzi, I know at Fight Gone Bad fundraiser at Crossfit they are planning on having tents and stuff from different places. maybe we could try and set up a booth there on that day and sell shirts or something if bryant OKs it

Offline Ozzi

• Sexability Head Coach
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • HIpk
    • View Profile
    • Hawaii Parkour
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2009, 08:40:24 PM »
I like the Waikiki idea. We can just bring some boxes and mess around there.
That club Ryan, you got a site for it.

Lets think of what else we can do and lets pan something out towards the end.
 Ghandi

Offline Ozzi

• Sexability Head Coach
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • HIpk
    • View Profile
    • Hawaii Parkour
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2009, 08:41:24 PM »
im down to help out with anything
i think fundraisers sound like a great idea
ill ask around to see if there is anywhere else we could do fundraisers
hey ozzi, I know at Fight Gone Bad fundraiser at Crossfit they are planning on having tents and stuff from different places. maybe we could try and set up a booth there on that day and sell shirts or something if bryant OKs it

It is a good idea bro, but I got no shirts. Need to save some money to order more.
 Ghandi

turtlekarma

« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2009, 05:02:12 PM »
hmm, idk what happened to xyloh's old website... I just tried looking it up, but I guess the site is down.  I haven't been there since the last time I did fund rasising.  I heard it got in trouble for serving alcohol to minors though, maybe it got closed down.  I'll try and see what's going on.  You should really think about doing a carwash though, cause it doesn't take much planning/ effort, plus you get to rep the HIPK logo.

Also I was wondering if you ever thought to pairing up with agencies that help at risk youth (big brothers and sisters, YMCA) and maybe seeing if you could get some funding for HIPK as a kind of "safe" alternative activity/ promotes fitness for kids?  What is HIPK classified as, by the way?  I mean since you sell t-shirts I guess, doesn't that mean HIPK is loosely defined as a business? Or is HIPK a socail networking kind of thing where money isn't an issue?  I'm only asking out of curiosity, but what are your goals for HIPK Ozzi?  lol sorry, if that was off topic. 

Offline Ozzi

• Sexability Head Coach
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • HIpk
    • View Profile
    • Hawaii Parkour
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2009, 10:57:44 AM »
HIpk is an L.L.C (limited liability company)

What you mentioned below I have actually thought of. My main goal right now is to keep HIpk alive when I leave next year.
The car wash could be done, I have a few friends that would be down to get the attention while we all wash. I just wish we get more people here posting.

I didnt think of Big Brothers, had thought of YMCA. I guess I have kind been slow about it. I will work on writing some presentations and emailing them to them soon. Thanks Ryan, let me know if you got anything else in mind brother. 
 Ghandi

turtlekarma

« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2009, 01:27:26 AM »
HIpk is an L.L.C (limited liability company)

What you mentioned below I have actually thought of. My main goal right now is to keep HIpk alive when I leave next year.
The car wash could be done, I have a few friends that would be down to get the attention while we all wash. I just wish we get more people here posting.

I didnt think of Big Brothers, had thought of YMCA. I guess I have kind been slow about it. I will work on writing some presentations and emailing them to them soon. Thanks Ryan, let me know if you got anything else in mind brother. 

Ah, good to know.  Keep it alive... I think you're mostly what gives HIPK credibility... will be sad to see ya go.  Yeah, for carwash though!! 

Yeah, I'm always willing to help out with volunteering for a good cause... could you post your presentations on here before you send it?  I'd like to see them if you're okay with that (maybe give you feedback)? 

Offline Michael Himes

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • Urban Surfers FB
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2009, 01:46:03 AM »
I'm sure the spirit of HIPK will live long. And as long as one UCC member stays here everything should be fine... If everyone is gone I'm sure as long as we still have these boards we will try and meet up at jams that we create.

That fund raising thing sounds nice. I also like the idea of setting some "toys" up at Waikiki. Hm... I got nothing else really... I wonder how much it costs for round trip to Hawaii one person.

As long as I'm not food I would play xD.. I'd be like the sick deer led away from the pack by wolves.
"Nothing is impossible, the word itself says 'I'm possible'!" ~ Audrey Hepburn
Urban Surfers FB
Urban Surfers YT

Offline Gregg HIPK

• Hirundo Rustica
  • Methode Naturelle
    • View Profile
    • HIPK fb group
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2009, 12:08:45 PM »
Hey Michael - haven't seen you on since July. What you been up to?

Offline Ozzi

• Sexability Head Coach
  • Hirundo Rustica
  • HIpk
    • View Profile
    • Hawaii Parkour
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2009, 03:58:02 PM »
Great to have you back Mike
 Ghandi

Offline Michael Himes

• Mangabey
    • View Profile
    • Urban Surfers FB
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2009, 04:59:29 PM »
^^ Not much really. Just haven't had time to come on here.
"Nothing is impossible, the word itself says 'I'm possible'!" ~ Audrey Hepburn
Urban Surfers FB
Urban Surfers YT